The General Godzilla Suit Discussion Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What's the best Godzilla suit? The countdown begins.

Godzilla 1954 - ShodaiGoji
5%
Godzilla 1955 - GyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1962 - KingGoji
6%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji
15%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1965 - DaisensoGoji
2%
Godzilla 1966 - DaisensoGoji/NankaiGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1967 - MusukoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1968-1972 - SoshingekiGoji
8%
Godzilla 1973 - MegaroGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1974 - MegaroGoji (B Type Head)/MekaGoji
3%
Godzilla 1975 - MegaroGoji (C Type Head)/MekaGyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1984 - ReturnsGoji/Godzilla84/Godzilla85
5%
Godzilla 1989 - BioGoji
14%
Godzilla 1991 - GhidoGoji
3%
Godzilla 1992 - BatoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1993 - RadoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1994 - Mogegoji
2%
Godzilla 1995 - DesuGoji
5%
Godzilla 1999 - MireGoji
6%
Godzilla 2000 - MireGoji (B Type)/GiraGoji
No votes
Godzilla 2001 - SokogekiGoji
6%
Godzilla 2002 - KiryuGoji
2%
Godzilla 2003 - KiryuGoji (B Type)/SOSGoji
8%
Godzilla 2004 - FinalGoji
9%

Total votes: 65

Dylan20
Samurai

Re: Top 5 suits of Godzilla

Post by Dylan20 »

1. G 1954

2. Gmk 2001

3. GvKK 1962

4. G 2000

5. GvMG 1974

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

5. 1999
4. 1964 (Mothra vs. Godzilla)
3. 1995
2. 1991
1. 1984
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GojiLamb
Samurai

What is your favorite Godzilla Suit?

Post by GojiLamb »

I've counted down the days til the new godzilla film and thought about the top ten favorite Godzilla suits now it's your time to tell what is the best godzilla suit. This poll is open til the new godzilla film.
To defend the world from devastation, to unite all people within our nation, to.... uh. Ah crap I forgot the rest.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Well, here's my list then.

#1: KiryuGoji/TokyoGoji

#2: SokogekiGoji

#3: Moge/DesuGoji

#4: BioGoji

#5: FinalGoji
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

My favorites are the 1994 suit, 1999 suit, 2001 suit, 1964 suit, and the 1968 suit. Honorable mention goes to the 2014 design since it looks amazing but isn't really a suit.

The worst suits are the 1967 and 2004 ones.
Last edited by DrBreakfastMachine on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaijumaikeru
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijumaikeru »

-post removed-
Last edited by kaijumaikeru on Sat May 06, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 21 times in total.

BurningGMK54
Monsterland Worker

Post by BurningGMK54 »

1. Godzilla 1955
2. Godzilla 2000, specifically MireGoji. I dislike the changes they made to the suit with GiraGoji.
3. Godzilla 1984
4. Godzilla 1954
5. Godzilla 2014

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

These are all very close:

1. Godzilla 1994/1995

2. Godzilla 1964

3. Godzilla 1974

4. Godzilla 1968

5. Godzilla 2014 (Not a suit, don't care)
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

In no particular order:

1. MireGoji/GiraGoji:

2. MosuGoji:

3. FinalGoji:

4. BioGoji:

5. GyakushuGoji:

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

1. RoG suit. Yes I said it. This is my favorite suit (and movie) because it just fits with Godzilla and the role he has in this movie. It doesn't seem out of place in this like the suits do in earlier Godzilla films.
2. G'54 suit. This is the very first suit, and they did an amazing job making him look big by filming from low angles, proper camera speed. It's too bad the Showa series never got too many good suits after to this...
3. MvG suit. This just made Godzilla that destructive force of nature again and brought a good look with it. It made Godzilla intimidating again unlike the two suits prior to this.
4. Meltdown G. Even though this is just the '93 suit with parts cut out and filled with orange lights, they did a really good job at making it look like a completely different suit.
5. G2K suit. This really fit the first movie it was used in: Godzilla 2000. It brought a great, new design, yet still retained features of the original, and again fit the role it was used for. This is an example of what the Tri Star Zilla should have been
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

1. '89 and '91 (Bio/Ghido)

2. '54 (Shodai)

3. '64 (Mosu)

4. '01 (Sokogeki)

5. '94 and '95 (Moge/Desu)

I'm also quite partial to the Kiryu and Soshingeki suits although I like almost all of them to some extent with the exceptions of the Musuko, Megaro, and 84 suits.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

I'll do a best and worst list, just to be different...but I won't limit myself to suits, but to CGI designs, too...and I'm extending it to all the kaiju called Godzilla at one point or another, meaning that the 1998 movie design of Zilla is fair game.

Best:
#5: BioGoji
Resized Image
Yeah, it's a Heisei suit, but it's one of the better Godzilla designs, even if the thunder-thighs are developing. The face is fierce-looking, the chest looks muscular...it's a pretty built Godzilla design, really.
The design is strongly-built, menacing and animalistic, which really does work.

#4: RadoGoji
Resized Image
Damnit, I like this one, too; even if it's got weight issues. :p The face is still fierce, though, albeit toned down a little. It's not an awful design, but certainly not one of the standout designs, either. The white on the dorsal scutes is a bit too saturated for my tastes, and it could do with a better roar (and less fat on the torso), but it's not awful.

#3: ShodaiGoji
Resized Image
Yeah, the first one's on here, woo. Being the first Godzilla means that this design has a lot more wiggle room than the others, since it set the base for the character. That being said, it looks a tad goofy nowadays, what with it's giant, almost Muppet-like eyes and pudgy face...but it still looks good, though; I came pretty close to putting the '73 design in this spot, but I decided against it only because I honestly don't really like the way the head is designed on this one, and the long neck it's on.

#2: MegaroGoji
Resized Image
Yeah, you saw that coming from the previous entry, didn't you? :p
I know, it's from a pretty lacklustre film, but I have a hardon-soft spot for this design, especially since this is the Godzilla I've seen the most. Yeah, it's undeniably not very threatening, but any Godzilla that has the fighting abilities of a wrestler and boxer and can defy gravity is awesome. :p

Honorable Mentions:
MosuGoji
Resized Image
MireGoji
Resized Image

#1: SokogekiGoji/LegendaryGoji/84Goji
Resized ImageResized ImageResized Image

This spot was, honestly, the hardest to pick out of this list. There's a number of great Godzilla designs, and it came down to these three; the GMK design is pretty solid, if a little conservative outside of the eyes, the 84 design is menacingly expressionless and the 2014 design is the most solid Godzilla ever to come out of America (sorry, Maverick; it's just a little better than the Marvel design. :p), so I honestly could not choose which was the best.

So I stuck all three on the same spot. :p

Worst:
#5: ShodaiJira
Resized Image
Surprised to see this thing so low on the "Worst" list? :p
Even though it's a pretty lousy excuse of a Godzilla, I'll admit there's things I do like about the lizard's design. The digitigrade stance is neat, as is the (albeit too boxy) tyrannosaur-like skull; things like that keep me from being utterly disgusted with it's design.
Still, it was the American "Godzilla" for too long, so it has to be mentioned.

#4: MusukoGoji
Resized Image
I can't say it's disgusting, really; it just took the "laid-back, more approachable Godzilla" idea a wee bit too far, and ended up with "Godzilla on weed". Went from one extreme (monstrous) and went right into the other extreme (Barney-like). With maybe some weed involved. :p

#3: DaisensoGoji
Resized Image

#2: TokyoGoji
Resized Image
The design for this suit's OK, but it's way too clunky and stiff. The arms suffer from Heisei syndrome, where they seem to only be able to move on a horizontal axis, and I'm not a fan of the head. At the very least, I can appreciate the design for what it is, unlike my next entrant...>_>

#1: FinalGoji
Resized Image
Yeah, this suit is just bleh. I don't like the head, I don't like the scutes, I don't like the bony arms and legs...there's not much that I like about this design. Final Wars in general was a disappointing movie, so it's actually somewhat fitting that the Godzilla from that movie is my least favourite. :p
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Post by RumbleJapan »

Godzilla 2000
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla 2002-03
Godzilla 2001
The Godzilla from Godzilla vs Gigan
Visit my fan site: Goji Database

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

1-1954

2-1975

3-1968 to 1972

4-1962

5-1995

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Like Jiragozira, I'll do a five worst and five best.
Starting with the worst:

5.) MireGoji
"GASP! How could you hate the MireGoji suit?!?"
Yes, burn me at the stake or whatever, but this suit has never looked right to me, especially in the head. It's too triangular and I don't like his goofy overbite.
The fins are also too jagged and undefined.
The entire suit isn't bad, however. I love the rest of the body and especially the tail. I much prefer the concept design seen in the MonsterArts figure.
Resized Image

4.) MusukoGoji
I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said. However, I actually love the spines of this guy. They look purty kewl.
Resized Image

3.) KiryuGoji
Too stiff and the head is, once again, too triangular. Something's wrong if you can only move your arms horizontally, like Jiragozira said.
Resized Image

2.) FinalGoji
Skinny, triangular head, wimpy fins, humanoid shape. This is not a good suit, at all.
Resized Image

1.) GyakushuGoji
DEM DRACULA DENTURES. Other than that, too skinny and too derpy looking. The puppet for this guy is awful.
Resized Image

And now for my favorite suits:

5.) MosuGoji
I actually hated this suit at first, but now I've grown to like it quite a lot. Not enough to spend 60 bucks on a SHMA though :P.
Resized Image

4.) Moge/DesuGoji
I actually prefer the SpaceGodzilla/Destoroyah suit over any other Heisei suit. Yeah, he may have Thunder Thighs, but so what? He's a big lumbering behemoth.
Resized Image

3.) DaisensoGoji
I severely enjoyed Ebirah, Horror of the Deep and this Godzilla suit looks great. I don't get why so many people hate it, it's not THAT bad.
Resized Image

2.) LegendaryGoji
Oh baby do I love this design. Maybe it's leftover hate of the 98 movie, but the Legendary Godzilla design was possibly the greatest thing about the new movie. THIS is what an American made Godzilla should look like.
Resized Image

1.) KingGoji
This is what comes to mind when I think of Godzilla. This is the quintessential Godzilla suit for me. I love everything about this guy. I'm hoping dearly that he gets a new, affordable figure soon from either Tamashii or Bandai Creations.
Resized Image

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

Jiragozira14 wrote:#5: BioGoji
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... da4f39.jpg
Yeah, it's a Heisei suit, but it's one of the better Godzilla designs, even if the thunder-thighs are developing. The face is fierce-looking, the chest looks muscular...it's a pretty built Godzilla design, really.
The design is strongly-built, menacing and animalistic, which really does work.
Thats actually the GhidoGoji suit, and its my pinnacle of the Heisei Era suits. Number 2 in my list.
BioGoji is fine, and wouldn't mind owning a Monstersarts of him soon, hopefully next year. But his unnecessarily long scrawny neck is a turn off for me. Though everything else, neck down, is proportional jolly.

5.)'84 warmed up to me gradually, he's a sleep walking killing machine

4.5)Final Wars, I was ok with its slim build. It allowed more freedom to work with, like the Showa series. Find it ironic how people wanted less beam spamming, stiff, sluggish movement and more tooth and claw fights through out both Heisei and Millennium movies. Yet when they did get it, they scream anorexia. Its really not all that skinny, there's a good amount of lean muscles. I excused the fins being down-sized for the same reason for flexibility. Its ALOT of weight going on the suit actor's back.
The face is a little meh, but still menacing

4.)'68 through '72; great neutral suits that had parallel look with his power in his movies. Not too strong, not too weak looking, just balanced

3.)'73 through '75; Kid friendly superhero look

Don't have a number one, I enjoy a lot of the suits :?
Last edited by Unit~NoA on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

UltramanGoji wrote:Like Jiragozira, I'll do a five worst and five best.
Starting with the worst:

5.) MireGoji
Yes, burn me at the stake or whatever, but this suit has never looked right to me, especially in the head. It's too triangular and I don't like his goofy overbite.
The fins are also too jagged and undefined.
The entire suit isn't bad, however. I love the rest of the body and especially the tail. I much prefer the concept design seen in the MonsterArts figure.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... movieSuite
I agree fully. Finally a fan after my own heart. No homo.

Undertaker Goji
Monarch Researcher

Post by Undertaker Goji »

1. SokogekiGoji: It's simply my favorite Godzilla design ever. Godzilla looks evil with those awesome pupil-less eyes, and he pretty much kicks every other monster's ass in the movies. Hoping for an SHMA of this suit soon.

2. Burning Godzilla: Truthfully, I don't really differentiate between most of the Heisei suits aside from this and the 84 one. This suit looks plain cool, and I still have the awesome Bandai vinyl figure with translucent paint.

3. KingGoji: This was one of my favorite Godzilla movies as a kid. The suit looks more reptilian than any other suit until we get to Millenium. I'm being repetitive, but it's simply awesome.

4. FinalGoji/Miregoji: I didn't hate Final Wars, and I really liked the Godzilla 2000 design.

5. Legendary Goji: Until I saw the movie, I wasn't sure how I felt about the new Godzilla design, but now I really like it. Hoping to get the Jakks Pacific figure soon, after I buy a new console.

6. ShodaiGoji: Yes, I know it's top 5, but how could I not mention this suit? The original is highly requested as an SHMA for a reason; it's the first Godzilla suit and it really is neat.
"You can call this the new world order of professional wrestling brother!"
-Hulk Hogan, WCW Bash at the Beach 1996
Godzilla21 wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:Wow. The last few pages have been interesting. Ranging from Mssr. French calling people who missed out on a piece & those who bought a re-paint 'dumb skreeonks' to GTU suggesting commando hit squads should take out scalpers. What a day... :lol:
Welcome to another day in the TK SHMA thread.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

UltramanGoji wrote:Like Jiragozira, I'll do a five worst and five best.
Starting with the worst:

5.) MireGoji
MireGoji was heavily loved?
I've hated ol' MireGoji from the start.
UltramanGoji wrote: 1.) KingGoji
This is what comes to mind when I think of Godzilla. This is the quintessential Godzilla suit for me. I love everything about this guy. I'm hoping dearly that he gets a new, affordable figure soon from either Tamashii or Bandai Creations.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... it3_10.jpg
Undertaker Goji wrote: 3. KingGoji: This was one of my favorite Godzilla movies as a kid. The suit looks more reptilian than any other suit until we get to Millenium. I'm being repetitive, but it's simply awesome.
KingGoji is loved?
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote: MireGoji was heavily loved?

KingGoji is loved?

And you've been in this fandom for, how long?