What is Godzilla? His species?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

What is Godzilla? His species?

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

I apologize if a thread like this has already been made, but I searched and couldn't find one, but anyways. This is a thread to talk about what Godzilla possibly is. IMO, I think this is what he is most likely.

Due to the structure of his body, it wouldn't be far out of the question to say that he's from a species part of the rauisuchian (Such as Postosuchus) family and what makes this more likely is that Godzilla is 250 million years old, the early triassic, the time when rauisuchians began appearing.

What about you guys? What do you think Godzilla is?

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

He's just some early reptile. That's what the credits basically say. There's no other area to classify him besides just, reptile.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

a God.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

"What is your species? What are you?"

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

An irradiated iguana. Whoops, wrong Godzilla movie.

Honestly, I don't think it's really that important. It's an action/science fiction film. I don't need an explanation of what Godzilla truly is to enjoy the film.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Godzillasaurus

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GTU wrote:From his armor plating, I'd assume a close relation to crocodiles. At the same time the body stance doesn't resemble any crocodile, and in fact, doesn't resemble reptiles in general. In addition to the time period when Godzilla's species was most prominent, it's entirely possible he could be some form of Synapsid. Which would make him more closely related to mammals than anything else.
Seems likely. As you said, fits the time frame, and he also has a decent amount of mammalian features (his face in particular).
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

GTU wrote:From his armor plating, I'd assume a close relation to crocodiles. At the same time the body stance doesn't resemble any crocodile, and in fact, doesn't resemble reptiles in general. In addition to the time period when Godzilla's species was most prominent, it's entirely possible he could be some form of Synapsid. Which would make him more closely related to mammals than anything else.
None of Godzilla's stances and postures ever resembled a reptile though. According to Wikipedia reptiles started in the late Carboniferous, which precedes the Permian era where Godzilla is from. So he's still definitely reptilian.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

GTU wrote:Synapsids shared the Permian period with reptiles, and synapsids were the largest land vertebrates of the Permian. I'm sticking with him being a synapsid.
How though. He has no mammal like features and has reptile like features like every other Godzilla incarnation.....I mean look at Godzilla. Also this Godzilla is 250 million years old. That isn't from the Perimian, that's the early triassic, and the time when Rauisuchians began to appear.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
GTU wrote:Synapsids shared the Permian period with reptiles, and synapsids were the largest land vertebrates of the Permian. I'm sticking with him being a synapsid.
How though. He has no mammal like features and has reptile like features like every other Godzilla incarnation.....I mean look at Godzilla. Also this Godzilla is 250 million years old. That isn't from the Perimian, that's the early triassic, and the time when Rauisuchians began to appear.
He seems ridiculously mammalian to me. Look at his facial features. Look at his posture. He looks very similar to a bear to me.

I like the theory of him being a synapsid.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

G2000 wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
He seems ridiculously mammalian to me. Look at his facial features. Look at his posture. He looks very similar to a bear to me.
Yet he has no mammal like skin or hair/fur? Then look at his skin, it's scaly like a reptile. What mammals have reptilian skin may I ask?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote: Yet he has no mammal like skin or hair/fur? Then look at his skin, it's scaly like a reptile. What mammals have reptilian skin may I ask?
You dolt.

Dimetrodons were synapsids.
Last edited by G2000 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

G2000 wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote: Yet he has no mammal like skin or hair/fur? Then look at his skin, it's scaly like a reptile. What mammals have reptilian skin may I ask?
You dolt.

Dimetrodons were synapsids.
Crap, forgot about those. I was thinking more of Gorgonops or something. :oops:

Well the fact is, IMO I think Godzilla is from a species part of the Rauisuchian family for this very reason. One, this Godzilla is 250 million years old, that's the early triassic and that is when Rauiscuchian's began appearing. Then if you really think about it, Godzilla does have a built similiar to a Rauisuchian such as Postosuchus when standing upright, then combined with the Rauisuchian's scaly reptilian skin and volia. Here you have it.
Spoiler:
Spoiled this since the image is big.

See what I mean now?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1992 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

But the credits (the marked out ones) clearly stated he was a reptile...though. That doesn't factor in here? You're welcome to think he's a synapsid, I won't stop ya.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

GTU wrote:Would the credits even be considered canon?

@GodzillaFan1992: Synapsids still existed into the Triassic, so it's very possible an early ancestor of Godzilla's escaped the Permian-Triassic extinction.
Point taken there, but I'd still like to think that Godzilla is a Rausisuchian since they first appeared 250 million years ago, the time Godzilla was born, so perhaps his species were part of the Rauisuchian family and among the first ones to evolve.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

I don't see why it wouldn't canon. It's files and data within Monarch.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Well the fact is, IMO I think Godzilla is from a species part of the Rauisuchian family for this very reason. One, this Godzilla is 250 million years old, that's the early triassic and that is when Rauiscuchian's began appearing. Then if you really think about it, Godzilla does have a built similiar to a Rauisuchian such as Postosuchus when standing upright, then combined with the Rauisuchian's scaly reptilian skin and volia. Here you have it.

Spoiled this since the image is big.
http://thedinosirs.files.wordpress.com/ ... o1_500.jpg

See what I mean now?
Yes, I do; still, I am entrenched in the synapsid camp.
Maverick Centigrade wrote:But the credits (the marked out ones) clearly stated he was a reptile...though. That doesn't factor in here? You're welcome to think he's a synapsid, I won't stop ya.
While all mammals are synapsids, not all synapsids are mammals. Again, Dimetredon comes to the forefront.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

G2000: Alright, I'll respect your opinion. :)

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:G2000: Alright, I'll respect your opinion. :)
And I will respect yours.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

I'm sticking to reptile group. It's in the credits and his skin. That's all I need.