Idea Thread: Toho Video Games 3.0

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
BurningGMK54
Monsterland Worker

Re: Do's and Don'ts: Godzilla Fighting Games

Post by BurningGMK54 »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote: Of course. That's not what I was saying though.
I was saying "Don't add in characters that you can't see having a moveset." This means if you can give them a moveset, then add them in.
If you can't see a moveset work for said character, don't add them. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't want a monster that has three moves. Punch, kick, and punchkick.
I see. My mistake.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I'd really love to see a fleshed-out story mode. I think the closest we've gotten was Save the Earth, which had some pretty interesting ideas thrown in between traditional battles. Attacking certain targets (like nuclear power plants), battling the military, and defending cities/buildings or items (like Mothra's egg) might be good starting points.

Atari/Pipework's soundtracks for their Godzilla Trilogy was more on the meh side of things. It would be pretty awesome if some actual Godzilla music were featured in the game, as there is six decades worth of music at a developer's disposal. Though I believe I read in an interview a while back that Toho doesn't own the rights to some of this music and it would be expensive to strike deals with the owners. So if you can't get the official music, at least get something fitting.

No original monsters. There are far too many neglected characters to be creating new creatures.

Skins. This would allow for different incarnations of monsters to be available without the use of clones. I'd love to see some of the older Godzilla designs like G64 and G68.

Include locations from the films and model actual cities after how they were portrayed in said films (burning Osaka from Godzilla Raids Again).

Fast Paced Combat/Taunts/Balanced Game-play/Beam Battles

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Well, I put in all of the requests so far and even color coded them!
I would much appreciate it if you guys could color code them for yourself now, because that was one of the most tedious tasks I had ever done.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Alright, remember how G:DAMM and G:U had a "play as tiny monsters" thing? I think it'd be cool if they had the opposite (I.E: giant monsters) as well.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Gerdzerl wrote:Alright, remember how G:DAMM and G:U had a "play as tiny monsters" thing? I think it'd be cool if they had the opposite (I.E: giant monsters) as well.
As Tiny Jet Jaguar with Tiny Monsters on, go pick up a building.
It really looks like a miracle is happening.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Mothra Freak wrote:They definitely need to stay away from motion controls. I can tell you that much.
Or use them, but actually have time to make them good. If I'm remembering right, Unleashed was rushed by Atari for some reason, which lead to it essentially being released as a beta; which would certainly explain why it was so buggy, and why the motion controls were iffy.

As for the "giant monsters mode" idea; it'd be cool, but then imagine what would happen in a 4-player match with all Biollantes, and.....yeah. :p

I personally always would have loved a "Create-A-Moveset" feature, like what they have for the new Smash, but with more to it. Having creating tools for a Godzilla fighting game in general would make me happy; it'd basically allow the fans to make their own dream rosters come true if made free enough; creating the monsters, movesets, arenas, everything.

Like what the recent WWE games are doing, but for Godzilla, essentially. Give me that and I would be all for it.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Johnny Danger
Samurai

Post by Johnny Danger »

Here is my personal list, if you deem any of it worthy enough to post to the first page of the topic, go for it!

DO:

1 - Large roster straight from the box. Don't give us 9 characters and make us wait for DLC/a potential sequel. Needs to be a mix of familiar faces and obscure characters. Almost as important as the size is the variety. Not every monster needs to play the damn same. Someone like Kong or the Gargantuas does not need a beam attack just for the hell of it (more on this later). Some characters should focus on strikes, some speed, some ranged attacks, and some grapple-based...you know, like CAPCOM figured out 20 years ago.

2 - Large amount of fighters unlocked from the start. I think 10 is a good number. Some people would rather jump straight into multi-player (Not me, personally) and having only 4 characters to play as kind of sucks. With that said, I love unlocking things, so give us tons of monsters to unlock.

3 - STRONG single player game. We really need a good story, and not the glitch-fest of broken promises that G:U or the entirely scrapped story that G:STE was. Branching paths, hooray. Being able to change alliances and alignments, awesome. A local co-op storyline would be AMAZING. Give me a good, 20+ hour campaign where I can be Godzilla and my wife can be Mothra and we team up the entire time, and I'd throw all my money and credit card numbers at the TV without hesitation. I know that a fighting game might not seem like the best "fit" for this, but, look at what MK9 and Injustice did. Do THAT...with Toho characters, and make a separate single player AND a co-op story.

4 - MOVIE ACCURACY. Can't stress this enough. Monsters need to look, act, and sound like their "real life" counterparts. In this day and age there is literally NO excuse for incorrect sound effects. Stop giving monsters abilities they never had in any other official form of Toho media, it's not creative. Making varied and fun move-sets that work within the limitations of the established universe, THAT is true creativity. Movie accurate soundtracks. I'd like custom soundtrack support, but the one thing those CAN'T do is change the music based on what is happening on screen. I'd like each monster to have their theme song, music changing when fights get down to the wire and someone is close to death, etc.

5 - Skins/alt attires. Really got tired of Pipeworks' excuses that they couldn't make this work. Every WWE game for the past 15 years had this. Street Fighter IV has this. Just imagine if there were 3 Godzilla character slots, Showa, Heisei, Millennium, to capture the different moves/mannerisms each "era" had. Then imagine if Showa Godzilla could choose from 4 or 5 different suits.

6 - Realistic moves. I don't want a pop-up/juggle based fighter. Just heavy hitting moves, lots of impact, and for Godz sake, a strong grapple system. Half of the fun of the earlier games was hurling the opponents across the screen and into buildings, G:U's horrible grapple system of 1 move per character ruined this.

7 - Ultra/Finishing moves. No I don't need super-gory fatalities, but, how many kaiju fights end with someone getting punched or a regular beam attack? (The MUTO tail smash in G14 notwithstanding, but even THAT was pretty brutal). Heisei G's red spiral fire is a perfect example. These should be context sensitive, for example, in SFIV, an Ultra Combo that doesn't end a fight does massive damage, but if you use it to finish a match, you get special visual effects. Say you hit the move here, same deal, massive damage in the middle of a fight, but if you end the fight with it you get a cool cinematic of Godzilla powering up and blasting the opponent who then explodes in a shower of sparks. Combo moves would be awesome too, like a Godzilla/Anguirus tandem move where Goji holds the opponent for Anguirus to slam into, before hurling them away.

8 - Different modes. Story, Vs, Team battle, survival, practice, destruction....I'd like an Unlimited Destruction mode where you can just travel a never-ending landscape with randomly generated buildings, military opposition, and other monsters (You can toggle all these on and off) and just stomp as much as you want.

9 - Movie accurate (Or at the very least, interesting) levels. Yes it'd be awesome to stomp some true to life real cities, but I'd also like to fight on Planet X with that AWESOME painted backdrop from Monster Zero as a background, with flying saucers zipping around....World Children's Land with a smashable Godzilla Tower, and for the first time ever, a Monster Island that ACTUALLY FEELS LIKE MONSTER ISLAND, with non-playable monsters in the background as interactive hazards.

10 - Lengthy fights. Perhaps make this an option where you can set characters' vitality levels, but, I want epic 10 minute fights. Certainly not for EVERY fight, but, if done right this could be awesome.

DON'T:

1 - MESS UP THE MONSTERS! Jet Jaguar doesn't throw energy from his hands. He doesn't need to. Why does Gigan need to teleport? He's a flying, cybernetic monstrosity with hooked claws for hands and a buzzsaw in his chest. IS THAT NOT COOL ENOUGH!? Pipeworks seemed more concerned with making sure (almost) every monster could conform to their broken, just plain not fun beam-battle system that ensuring movie accuracy.

2 - Ship a buggy game. I really don't mean to keep ragging on Pipeworks...I truly don't....but G:U had to be the most bug-ridden game I played from the last console generation. Granted, I don't buy a ton of games...but the amount of glitches I encountered just made the game reek of rushed shovelware.

3 - Make a convoluted control scheme. STE and God:DAMM were fine. G:U was a mass of flailing confusion.

4 - Totally ignore the film history. Kind of recycling points here, but this is important. Monsters and music need to look and sound how the fans expect. I understand the need to market to non-fans as well, but, I don't see Ifukube themes being a turn-off to the general consumer, and they will certainly excite the G-fans.

5 - Remember how I've praised CAPCOM a couple times in this post? Now here's a shot at them....do NOT make us pay for locked content already on the disc/"day one DLC"!

That's really all I've got, if you achieve most of the "DO's", it takes care of the "DONT's". Now, because everyone loves these, here's my roster list. I'll stick with the Pipeworks "faction" theme, just for balancing/numbers. That doesn't mean that's how it'd go down in the story, IE, maybe Mecha-King Ghidorah is listed as EDF, but he'd be Alien controlled in the storyline of the game, and the names of the groups wouldn't necessarily stay the same.

"Earth Defenders" - Heroic monsters that fight for the earth first and humanity second.

1 - Showa Godzilla. (Skins: 68 [default], 75, 62, 64) Alternatively, you can select Godzilla 2000 or Heisei Godzilla, which would have different movesets, but there will only be one playable Godzilla in story mode at a time.
2 - Anguirus (1968 [default], 2004)
3 - Rodan (1965 [default], 2004)
4 - Mothra (Larva and adult. 1992 [default], 1960's, 2001)
5 - Minya (Showa)
6 - King Seesar (Showa)
7 - Sanda (Alt skin: Frankenstein)
8 - Gorosaurus
9 - Baragon (GMK [default], Showa)
10 - King Kong (1962....I can dream....)
11 - Godzilla 2014

"Mutants" - Power crazed monsters that only seek to destroy

1 - Destoroyah
2 - Zilla
3 - Biollante
4 - Kumonga (Showa and GFW skins)
5 - Gaira
6 - Hedorah
7 - Gabara
8 - Battra (Larva and Adult)
9 - Gojira 1954 (Alt skin: Skeleton/Ghost Godzilla) - Maybe he's even the boss of the game...the story changes depending on whether you are a good or evil monster...for good monsters, Gojira returns to punish the world and humanity one more time, for evil monsters, he is your last challenge standing between you and world domination.
10 - MUTO (Hybrid of Male/Female, so it's big AND can fly!)

"Earth Defense Force" - Man made monsters used for the defense of humanity! Allied w/ Earth Defenders by default, this may change as the story progresses.

1 - Kiryu (GxMG and SOS skins)
2 - Jet Jaguar
3 - MOGERA (1994 & Mysterians skins)
4 - Mecha-King Ghidorah
5 - Super MechaGodzilla
6 - MechaniKong - I am kind of iffy on him. I wonder if he'd automatically be available if they bought the rights to King Kong, or if he'd cost more. I am on the fence on whether or not he's worth it...but the EDF roster is pretty small!

"Aliens" - Look to eradicate or enslave humanity and their guardians and seize control of the planet!

1 - King Ghidorah (1965 [default] and 1991)
2 - Gigan (1970's [default] and 2004)
3 - Orga
4 - MechaGodzilla Showa
5 - Space Godzilla
6 - Megalon

That gives us a pretty decent mix on good vs evil as far as numbers go, with 16 give or take on each side. I left some out such as Varan, Titanosaurus, Fire Rodan, and some Godzilla versions that could be DLC....along with Gamera ;)
Last edited by Johnny Danger on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Johnny Danger wrote:HOLY CRAP
Ohh...
I'm gonna have to sort all of that?
Ohhhhh....
I hate color coding.

Nice list though.

Johnny Danger
Samurai

Post by Johnny Danger »

Hey, I was REALLY bored at work this morning! :lol:

anything I can do to make it easier, let me know.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Johnny Danger wrote:Hey, I was REALLY bored at work this morning! :lol:

anything I can do to make it easier, let me know.
Gojira tai Mosura wrote: Monsters in Purple are Monsters that would be totally new to a Godzilla fighting game.
Monsters in Bold are monsters that have been requested more than once.
Monsters in Green are monsters that have been in previous Godzilla games.
If you could color code your monster suggestions, that would help me a lot.

Johnny Danger
Samurai

Post by Johnny Danger »

Ok! I think I have the color coding correct.

EDIT: Or not. This crappy old monitor I use at work, the colors are off...but I can tell they don't match with what you have on the first page...ugh...

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Johnny Danger wrote:Ok! I think I have the color coding correct.

EDIT: Or not. This crappy old monitor I use at work, the colors are off...but I can tell they don't match with what you have on the first page...ugh...
It's good enough for me! Thank you!
I'll get to them later on, because I just now remembered you can't quote posts after you make one...

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

FYI, I'm paying attention to this thread. Nothing especially shocking has been suggested yet, but it's nice to have a lot of these common requests all in one place.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Mr. Strange wrote:FYI, I'm paying attention to this thread. Nothing especially shocking has been suggested yet, but it's nice to have a lot of these common requests all in one place.
That's great! Now I feel that I didn't make this thread in vain!
It's nice to know that you're paying attention. We all want the best possible outcome when a new game is being made, so we're just pitching some ideas here and there.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

I also think that Godzilla Fighting Games should have...
A Better Story Mode In The Style Of Unleashed's Story Mode
Cause I really enjoyed the story mode in Unleashed. Just flesh out the Fractions system and add more creative missions.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Alpha System, the developers of both Battle Legends and GDAM should return and make it a 2.5D

pvphook
Ronin

Re: Future Arenas

Post by pvphook »

Arbok wrote:I'd personally want arenas strictly from the movies, if possible, and unique aspects to them. They can be obscure, as long as they have a movie-tie in, ala:

World Children's Land [Godzilla vs. Gigan]
Monster Island/Land [Destroy All Monsters]
Planet X [Invasion of Astro-Monster]
Letchi Island, with Giant Condor + Jets [Ebirah, Horror of the Deep]
Downtown Tokyo, with Super-X [The Return of Godzilla]

etc.
Letchi Island would be pretty awesome. Swim too far out and get attacked by Ebirah!
Still the best

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Re: Future Arenas in Godzilla games

Living Corpse wrote:All right guys I wanna know what levels you'd like to see in future games.

My list

Planet X
World Children's Land
Las Vagas (all those landmarks in one spot to shame and pretty neon lights)
Washington D.C.
Egypt (smashing the great pyramids would be cool, and show Africa some love)
Antarctica
The Moon
Hong Kong
Paris
Detroit
G-Force Base/HQ
Area 51
Boxing Ring (yep, a joke level)
Movie Studio ( a joke level where you fight in a movie studio with miniature buildings. Yep, you're making a Godzilla film)
Michigan (the 5 great lakes would be a fun place to fight)
Monster Island (never get rid of this)
Tokyo 1954 (with electrical towers)
Any major city from Canada (show them some though love)
Philippine Trench or Tokyo Bay (anywhere underwater really)
Wakasa Bay
Lake Ashinoko (above water fight)
Mt: Fuji
Shinjuku
Minato Mirai 21 (if there is any place of Yokohama that is a cool place to fight it's here)
Makuhari Bay Area
Hollywood (meh)
Osaka.
Burning Osaka (1955).

Rareeve6195
Monsterland Worker

Post by Rareeve6195 »

Mount Mihara with lava stage hazard
http://youtu.be/vBWniZQLhCY?t=1m24s

Resized Image

I would very much like to see Gorgo Yongary and Pulgasari: Giant Monsters all out attack

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Living Corpse wrote:Movie Studio ( a joke level where you fight in a movie studio with miniature buildings. Yep, you're making a Godzilla film)
You know, this would make a great Godzilla game. Make your own movie with camera positions and all. :cookie: