Where should he stand? (Hero or Villain)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What role should Godzilla play?

A hero.
5%
A threat to the world.
16%
A potential ally.
9%
An anti-hero.
64%
Other (please specify).
5%

Total votes: 56

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Re: Where should he stand?

Post by Dash 7 »

Moral ambiguity is the right direction IMO. Make him a similar menace to the Hulk. An unstoppable force of nature that really just is childlike on the inside yet destructive all the same.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

G-Man1989
Yojimbo

Re: Where should he stand?

Post by G-Man1989 »

Totally an anti-hero. He's not really evil on his own, but he isn't the type who acts like Gamera and Ultraman. It would be nice to see a plot that elaborates upon why he is so destructive, with how the nuclear mutations have harmed him physically and psychologically. I think what the Shobijin translated from what Godzilla said in "Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster" should be considered to why he feels so spiteful towards humans "Who keep bullying him".

FinalSmash1689
Yojimbo

GODZILLA: HERO or VILLAIN?

Post by FinalSmash1689 »

Pretty simple. Do you want to Big G to be a HERO or a VILLAIN in the new movie?

Personally I want to see him as a Villain. I've always thought he was more interesting as such. I've never really seen the appeal of the heroic Godzilla. He works better as an anti-hero or at the very least like in the Heisei series were at times he was fighting the monster more for himself than for humanity.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: GODZILLA: HERO or VILLAIN?

Post by HayesAJones »

NSZ wrote:I want to see him NEUTRAL.

Have him defeat the humanity-threatening monster, then turn around and burninate his surroundings, like in G2000. Send a message to humanity that he isn't some protector to be relied upon, nor is he a force that's out there to outright eliminate humanity. Just a force of nature looking out for his own.
Ditto here. He not on Mankind's side, but he not really out to destroy us either. Other monster threatening his territory though, that's another story...
Last edited by HayesAJones on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Chaotic neutral
Last edited by shinmattiathekaiju on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Ocean
Samurai

Post by Ocean »

Chaotic Neutral force of nature type creature is how he is best.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

He should be an asshole. None of this pure Good/Evil gobbledygook. He's at his most interesting when he's strictly a dick.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Definately looking for the Heisei anti-hero. The idea that he doesn't give a shit about humanity, but the fact that this is HIS territory and anyhow who stomps on it is getting a stomping themselves.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I made a thread containing the same question:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... f=9&t=1836

That being said, I want Godzilla to be an anti-hero. For him to be entirely evil is not something I think can be done as well as in GMK.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

He should definitely be what he was in the heisei era. I think the majority of us have already agreed upon that.
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

As long as he's a douche-bag who destroys cities and kicks other monsters' asses... I'm good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

He should be neutral till he's attacked by the military which makes him angry . Then we should see an evil glint
in his eyes as he annihilates whatever city he's in.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Showa Gyaos wrote:That being said, I want Godzilla to be an anti-hero. For him to be entirely evil is not something I think can be done as well as in GMK.
The best Godzilla is an antihero Godzilla. If we are getting a multimonster film, I can near gurantee thats the Big G we will see.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

i dont want him to be the hero, villian or anti-hero...

i want Godzilla (as well as the other monter(s)) to not really notice the humans, and only focus on each other. if attacked by the military, they blow them off and continue with their doings.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

I want Godzilla to start with a ''Return Of Godzilla'''s behavior and then slowly change into Godzilla vs Monster Zero's territory.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Personally, I kind of liked the way Godzilla 2000 did it. Flawed, but its a good transition from monster to hero.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Monster Master wrote:So... you want Godzilla to a ruthless, destructive animal that shows no mercy?
That then starts to dance?
YES! Nobody will ever see it coming! And it says something to me... something so... deep. It shows that even the toughest creatures have the heart of a child lurking somewhere inside them. DAMN THAT'S DEEP!

TEEHEE :D
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Monster Master wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:I want Godzilla to start with a ''Return Of Godzilla'''s behavior and then slowly change into Godzilla vs Monster Zero's territory.
So... you want Godzilla to a ruthless, destructive animal that shows no mercy?
i didn't said that i want him to dance but to turns slowly into a more gentle creature.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I don't know if I ever like the idea of Godzilla being a villain when another monster is involved. In one way or the other, we all end up rooting for him and he still comes out to be a hero to the earth because he defeats the evil forces from elsewhere (cough, Godzilla Final Wars) So just let him be a hero and save us the trouble of having to call him a villain when he really isn't at this point.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Ocean
Samurai

Post by Ocean »

Monster Master wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:I want Godzilla to start with a ''Return Of Godzilla'''s behavior and then slowly change into Godzilla vs Monster Zero's territory.
So... you want Godzilla to a ruthless, destructive animal that shows no mercy?
Yeah... I was wondering the same thing.
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:i didn't said that i want him to dance but to turns slowly into a more gentle creature.
I could see it I guess. Why?