Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

Post by JVM »

Megalon's a fun monster really, maybe it's childhood nostalgia, but I've always felt drawn to him. The Seatopians as well always interested me, but I just love Megalon, except when he burrows and grabs me from underground...
Last edited by JVM on Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Re: Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

Post by Starfishman »

I too have always loved Megalon. He was such a neat looking monster and I especially liked him because of his goofiness and that he had drills for hands

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Megalon is an awesome monster. He's got a really cool design and a huge personality. He doesn't seem very intelligent in his movie, but that's why I love him. I'd love to see Megalon return one day, even if he was called the "Christmas tree monster" from the MST3K crew. :lol:

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

A cool creation. Not a huge fran, but I can see why his design and goofy personallity are popular.

Lionblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Lionblaze »

I like Megalon, he has a personality and a good interesting design. He definately needs to be featured in another Godzilla film to show his potential.
Shadow Area Record
Wins: 17. Losses: 14.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Megalon has a pleasing design, but he doesn't interest me that much.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ That's a good point actually, but I don't think that's ever been confirmed, has it?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Cyborg Monsters like Megalon and Gigan translate well into video games. I think Megalon has a ton of potential, considering all of its weapons.
I've always been a big fan of the Megalon design, but wasn't too impressed with his role in the film.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

NSZ wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Cyborg Monsters like Megalon and Gigan translate well into video games. I think Megalon has a ton of potential, considering all of its weapons.
I've always been a big fan of the Megalon design, but wasn't too impressed with his role in the film.
It's been confirmed for a little over a year now that Megalon isn't a cyborg, just another giant creature that evolved to the point of what it currently is due to the effect of Earth's magnetic waves.
why do people even think megalon to be a cyborg/mech... hes a giant beetle... not to hard to see that... :?
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Megalon is criticized for being a "terrible" character. His suit is considered tacky and cheap. He is the main antagonist in his debut film, which was ridiculed for being too wacky (at least in Japan). I disagree with each of these opinions.

He looks like a monster you would expect to find in a Showa Godzilla movie. The atmosphere of the series during the '70s adds to Megalon's charm. I adore him. :D
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

NSZ wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Cyborg Monsters like Megalon and Gigan translate well into video games. I think Megalon has a ton of potential, considering all of its weapons.
It's been confirmed for a little over a year now that Megalon isn't a cyborg, just another giant creature that evolved to the point of what it currently is due to the effect of Earth's magnetic waves.
Earth's magnetic waves didn't create Megalon's metal drill arms. That star shaped horn doesn't look natural either.
Plus, your not a bit suspicious of all the powers and weapons this creature has? Drill arms, Gravity beams, bombs. I mean, this bug can do it all - fly, tunnel underground, water etc.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Legion1979 wrote:Just repeat to yourself "It's just a movie, I should really just relax."
For Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I felt Gigan was borderline for what worked in the Godzilla franchise, and I love his design.

With Megalon, I felt the design kind of drifted into the realm of some of the unimaginative and at the same time overly extravagant looks that were being used on TV shows of the time. He just didn't mesh well with the other characters of the Godzilla universe at that time. The drill hands are just odd. All said, he is probably one of my least favorite characters from the franchise, but certainly feels more at home in the series in contrast to the other character which debuted in this 1973 film.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Jeragon85
Young Farmer

Post by Jeragon85 »

He does have some interesting abilities. However why does he only have four limbs if he is an insect? He gets beaten up by Godzilla worse than any other monster.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Always thought he was an interesting design. Most of his powers come straight from the world of beetles.
Napalm from the bombadier beetle (acid bombs)
Drills from stag, scarab and dung beetles. (they have shovels for front legs)
Flight, burrowing and water skills are common for most beetles.
Horn from the rhinoceros beetle.
Laser not so much.
If only they had found a suit actor with four arms.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Godzillatheultimate wrote:
Killswitch wrote: Earth's magnetic waves didn't create Megalon's metal drill arms. That star shaped horn doesn't look natural either.
Plus, your not a bit suspicious of all the powers and weapons this creature has? Drill arms, Gravity beams, bombs. I mean, this bug can do it all - fly, tunnel underground, water etc.
I take it you are a fan of Matt Frank.
Something wrong with someone being a fan of his work?

Megalon isn't a cyborg by Word of God, but I think it's understandable why someone would come to that conclusion, and I swear some old material DID call him a cyborg before Toho decided to actually give a shit about foreign releases and such.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

It would explain why they sent Gigan but anyway if you get rid of the lightning horn plus trade the drill arms for bladed shovel arms. It would be a more natural monster but is that good. Every monster needs a little wackyness to be good. Anguirus' back legs for example, Ghidorah's three legs, Gigan's bladed chest, need I go on.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Grayshot954 wrote:... Ghidorah's three legs...
I assume you mean heads?

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Sorry my bad. Yes Ghidorah's three heads.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

JVM wrote:
Godzillatheultimate wrote:
Killswitch wrote: Earth's magnetic waves didn't create Megalon's metal drill arms. That star shaped horn doesn't look natural either.
I take it you are a fan of Matt Frank.
Something wrong with someone being a fan of his work?

Megalon isn't a cyborg by Word of God, but I think it's understandable why someone would come to that conclusion, and I swear some old material DID call him a cyborg before Toho decided to actually give a shit about foreign releases and such.
I can remember reading the reviews for this film before I went to see it around 1977. Just about positive they called Megalon a cyborg in it.
Probably still have the review at parents house.