Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Post by Killswitch »

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
King Caesar wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)
I have no idea what you're talking about. There was no great "director switch" after DAM.

Ghidrah - Honda
Monster Zero - Honda
GvsThe Sea Monster - Fukuda
Son of Godzilla - Fukuda
DAM - Honda
G's Revenge - Honda
GvsHedorah - Banno
GvsGigan - Fukuda
GvsMegalon - Fukuda

Unless you're inferring that there was a major change simply because Honda wasn't involved for a couple of years but Fukuda had been a major player in the series since well before DAM.

Also, here's another reason why this movie is amazing:

You need to direct your question to King Caesar, because it was his quote not mine. Looks like there was a "cut & paste" error?

Great picture!

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

Yuriko Hishimi For The Noms. I've got a pretty large folder of her modeling work, actually. XD

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

DaiKamonohashi wrote:Yuriko Hishimi For The Noms. I've got a pretty large folder of her modeling work, actually. XD
I would like to see more. Can you start a topic on General Discussions?

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

Killswitch wrote:
DaiKamonohashi wrote:Yuriko Hishimi For The Noms. I've got a pretty large folder of her modeling work, actually. XD
Well a good two-thirds of it is NUDE modeling work, which is, mind you, totally awesome but I suspect it goes against this board's rules.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

She's certainly a looker, but I've gotta say, she doesn't look nearly that good in the film itself.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
Killswitch wrote:
Well a good two-thirds of it is NUDE modeling work, which is, mind you, totally awesome but I suspect it goes against this board's rules.
Yes, I saw a couple of her nudes on the net.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Yay...from Godzilla vs Gigan to nude pictures...gentlemen (and ladies), i believe we are making progress.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Kyono_Rei
GPN Volunteer

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by Kyono_Rei »

HayesAJones wrote:This movie is simply pure fun. It's no masterpiece, but it's incredible entertaining. Gotta love the Godzilla and Anguirus tag-team duo!
Agreed.

I think the low points are:
- the slow and often not too interesting start.
- Stock-footage of toy tanks that look too much like... toy tanks. Why didn't they use stock footage that actually looks good?
-Also the stock anguirus footage in different lighting and scenery. It seems like they got about 3/4ths of the fight filmed very well, then just slap-put the ending togeather. Dissapointing, as the start of their battle was very promising and could end up as THE Toho kaiju battle of all time if it was not for the sloppy finishing, stock footage and cut-and-paste editing.
- TNT in cardboard boxes. They could have at least used wooden crates or something. That's just sloppy prop making. Its just like Toho to produce some great explosions and special effects and then make a big fail over some pretty simple prop.
- The "deus ex machina" TNT operation is kind of a plot hole. I have problems believing that with so much assents and so advanced technology the aliens would leave the complex so unguarded that massive amount of explosive can be brought in on foot. One would think they would have a sentry tower or something. I think the screenplay writer should have created some more original and believable way for them to destroy the tower.

Good sides:
- The night battle between Anguirus&Godzilla vs Gigan&KG is very fun. The scene of the docks being destroyed is some good special effects, often you couldn't see that it was just a small studio set, many times it really looked like a regular size city and refinery going up in flames. Had some pretty dramatic scenes, like when Goji gets cut and bleeds.
- The aliens are your lovable B-film giant insects, that's cheesy but also fun. Plus i think that while they are one-dimensional, their background of being last survivors of a enviromentally devastated planet is kind of intriguing and I think it could have been even better if the script dwelled on them a bit more.
- The main human hero is kind of funny and likable. He is the "happy-go-lucky" dude who actually can think his way out when push comes to shove. He is ok as far as b-movies go.
- Some of the early driving sequences have that cool fisheye lens effect. I have not noticed that before, just when I re-watched the film today. Its a small thing, but still a nice touch.
- Another nice small touch is the capsule-tower lookalike in kid land. Just noticed taht the capsule tower was finished the same year they released this film. I think its a hidden tribute to the architect.
Sorry for any speling mistakes, typos or the occasional Engrish. Native speakers, please show me mercy ;)

G-fan4life
Monsterland Worker

Post by G-fan4life »

Anyone else notice the banana scene where they all are eating in a circle, then they leave to find out about the Chairman...

Y would you just toss the banana up in the air as you leave (anyone else catch that?)

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Post by UnCanny Studios »

Guardian7 wrote:I don't know if anyone had already done this or not. but here is a pretty decent image of the flash from Gigan's forehead (I assume they were suppose to put an optic beam travel line in it originally - or at least that is what I have read).

The frozen image looks pretty good. It does indeed look like something is going to happen from that spot on his forehead.

Cool pic that I am sure everyone will enjoy.
Awesome! I've read into the "beam" legend, and of course it is on several posters (Gigan shooting a laserbeam from his forehead), but I've never noticed this part in the film! Thanks for posting this image.
GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

This is my favorite Godzilla movie. Critically, thus film is lackluster. Yet I like it. The action--if you can get past the constant stock footage--is pretty decent, and the movie does have some good shots (I point out once again the scene where Gigan stands in front of a burning Tokyo). On top of that, the music is top-notch. Nothing really gets too repititous either, which is often a probably in Ifukube movies.

Rating: 4.5/5 (not critically speaking)

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

This is a 3.5 for me. It used to be my favorite, and I still thoroughly enjoy it, but there's just a few things here and there that take my mind off of it in some places. I find the characters to be fun; they're not the best actors, but would you rather have had the inventor from Godzilla vs. Megalon? The guy who basically wears a latex mask with the same expression on it the whole movie? The worst characters in this movie were the Nebulans. Other than that, basically the poor use of stock footage and the lacking SFX are the only things that bother me. The music is great, and the title monster is an enjoyable creation.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

One of my favorite Godzilla movies, though I wouldn't call it one of the best. I love the soundtrack and monster selection, and the human characters were fun but not, well, interesting lol.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Was this movie profitable when it was released in 1972?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Showa Gyaos wrote:Was this movie profitable when it was released in 1972?
According to the box office reports, the attendance was roughly 1.7 million. I don't know if that's good or not; I'll leve you to decide that.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

I looked at some other box office reports on here, and it was considerably lower. I looked at Mothra vs. Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters, and they both made over 2.5 million. So I would have to say no, it wasn't successful, but I'm just going by the stats.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ I could have sworn Mothra vs Godzilla was one of the highest grossing films, but I might be getting that mixed up with Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

King Caesar wrote:^ I could have sworn Mothra vs Godzilla was one of the highest grossing films, but I might be getting that mixed up with Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
I think that was Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992) That's what it says in my Compendium anyway. I think it still is, too.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

:oops: ...I knew that. Okay that makes a bit more sense now.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I now look at Godzilla vs. Gigan as the "Anti-Godzilla Godzilla film". Kind of like how Enchanted or The Emperor's New Groove are the "Anti-Disney Disney films".

Everything Godzilla film made before Godzilla vs. Gigan had a lot of things in common: They were mostly monster driven, the aliens wanted to destroy the world, they all made their own new monster footage and new music, the characters were usually very similar with high-profile careers and nice lives. But, with Godzilla vs. Gigan, all of that is reversed: The characters are the main focus of the story, the aliens want peace (in their own weird way), all the music is recycled from previous films, as well as most of the monster footage, and the characters lead weird yet interesting lives with low-profile careers. There's more reverses to it, but those are some of the more obvious ones.

It turns everything that the previous Godzilla films were on their heads, but still attempts to tell as good of a story as possible. Being the "Anti-Godzilla Godzilla film" isn't a bad thing either, it's just...different. And I can appreciate Fukada and crew for attempting to do that. It really makes this one of the funniest Godzilla films, IMO. Mind you, this is still my least favorite Jun Fukada Godzilla film, but it's not terrible, just odd and out of place at times.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing