What City Should Great G Destroy!?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What City Be Destroyed By Legendary Godzilla?

New York
18%
Chicago
8%
Denver
1%
Jacksonville
3%
San Antonio
2%
Washington D.C.
12%
San Francisco
26%
Los Angeles
28%
Portland
3%
Charlotte
1%

Total votes: 130

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Location

Post by JVM »

^ Chicago gets a lot of filming but it's rare I've noticed for a movie to be filmed AND set in Chicago. I can't speak for Transformers, but I know both Batman movies were filmed here, but as we know, it's set in Gotham.

It tends to be mentioned a lot but I only usually hear about California or New York City when it comes to movies.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

I wouldn't mind seeing it in the cliche places. New York City being one of them. I mean, i guess it is because I am so used to seeing things in NYC, but it works cinematically, may get old for some, but I get over the fact when I am watching the film. But seeing a new place would be different and interesting.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Japan or Hong-Kong would be hot. However Chicago is being done in Transformers 3 and they are claiming it will out-do all the Chicago scenes from the Dark Knight.

If it has to be based in the United States, I would pick Boston. It isn't a super massive city covered by skyscrapers, but it isn't tiny. I just hope whatever they pick doesn't drain the money from the movie for location shooting. Better find a away to get smart about location filming. (Cloverfield NYC scenes were shot in LA.

"Some interior shots were filmed on a soundstage at Downey, California, Bloomingdale's in the movie was actually filmed in an emptied Robinsons-May store that was under reconstruction in Arcadia, California, and the outside scenes of Sephora and the electronics store were filmed in Downtown Los Angeles." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield#Filming

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

GodzillaIsCool wrote:Japan or Hong-Kong would be hot. However Chicago is being done in Transformers 3 and they are claiming it will out-do all the Chicago scenes from the Dark Knight.

If it has to be based in the United States, I would pick Boston. It isn't a super massive city covered by skyscrapers, but it isn't tiny. I just hope whatever they pick doesn't drain the money from the movie for location shooting. Better find a away to get smart about location filming. (Cloverfield NYC scenes were shot in LA.

"Some interior shots were filmed on a soundstage at Downey, California, Bloomingdale's in the movie was actually filmed in an emptied Robinsons-May store that was under reconstruction in Arcadia, California, and the outside scenes of Sephora and the electronics store were filmed in Downtown Los Angeles." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield#Filming
Yeah chicago is overplayed with Dark Knight and Michael Bay currently blowing it up in filming for Transformers 3. And I'm reaaaally tired of any gamut of science fiction/disaster/comic book films with a penchant for blowing up manhattan. It gets a bit old. Last film to really impress me using manhattan was I Am Legend.

And I really don't think Boston would work. I'm a native new yorker and went to boston for undergrad. I couldn't help but feel underwhlemed every time i went into the city...it's actually pretty small, have to disagree with you there.

But for the same reasons manhattan is not a good choice....streets are too narrow for a proper Godzilla to walk through, and moreso than Tokyo, there are actually many buildings here that would eclipse Godzilla from view, unless they situated him in central park, which is what GINO had to resort to.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

To me the film should be made in America since America is second on the Godzilla fandom and with the G-Fest held each year so Big G should have his film here in North America. He should be in one of the big cities in California since it's closer to Japan and Godzilla swims by ocean he would defenetly wreck havoc in ither LA or San Francisco. I think fans would really want to see Godzilla come to America for once and see Big G's wrath around the America mainland it would be fun and I'm sure Japan would want to spread Godzilla's fandom more so why not a film in America? :D Plus in some Japan films Americans are in it such as in Tokyo SOS when he sunk a US sub to get nuclear energy and actors as well. Its time to bring Big G to North America. We have read books and comic books of Godzilla being here so lets have him in America :D Besides its only one film if this becomes a blockbuster film at the theaters.

mrbluehair
Ronin

Post by mrbluehair »

San Diego is my choice.
1) it's not the obvious L.A. or NYC.
2) Downtown buildings would not shrink Godzilla, that way you don't need a 300ft tall creature.
3) Coronado Bridge would be nice to wreck.
4) NAS Coronado, MCAS Miramar and Camp Pendleton are all right here, no wait for military reaction.
5) San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant just to the north could be the starting point.

If this is going to be (hopefully) a trilogy, shouldn't the stage grow each time?

As for Seattle, some nice places to trample, but everyone would be soooo depressed they would leave their coffee houses there to be stepped on...and no more rain for now please, too much in the 98 film. I'd like to see some dust kicked up and then atomized by atomic breath...(something plausible but never seen in the movies)

Just my thoughts.

Gamera216
Ronin

Post by Gamera216 »

I'd say it would have to be somewhere by the sea. Like NYC, Miami, LA, or Seattle. It would be weird to have it in the middle of america because godzilla would either have to swim up a river or walk across the country to get there
He'll Come... Gamera will come again

Gamera216
Ronin

Post by Gamera216 »

Now that you say it that way that actually would be a good idea. Kinda like in gmk where he went through alot of japan just make him start on the west coast then to the east coast

Kuroneko-sama
Yojimbo

Post by Kuroneko-sama »

I would love for Godzilla to come to Florida, but something tells me that might not even be an option unless it lands in Miami.

I personally can see Godzilla hitting the west coast. What they should do in the film is have Godzilla appear first in Japan, then be held responsible for problems out at sea. Then have Godzilla attack the US. In that case, just about any city in California is fair game.

Something I would like to see is Godzilla heading up the Mexican coast in the dead of night and stomping through the Mexican-American border. Then it can make its way north. Godzilla just disappears, no one wants to believe Godzilla's in the US without being spotted - then have it attack, I dunno, San Francisco in broad daylight without any warning at all.

Truthfully, the west coast is a better idea than the east in the long run. If not for the whole thing about it being nearest to Japan, at least it can give a bunch of Japanese references. Several cities have their own little Nihonmachi sections (Japantown), so having an Japanese cast blended in with Americans wouldn't be a problem. The three official "Japantowns" that I know of are in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and I think San Jose. I think NYC has a sort one as well, but New York has been destroyed so many times that I am frankly sick of seeing it. Give me some new scenery to watch be obliterated.
バカばっか
There are as many people as there are stars...
There are as many encounters as there are stars...
And farewells...

-Ruri Hoshino, Nadesico: the Prince of Darkness

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Am I the only one who thinks Miami, Florida is worthy to be flattened by Godzilla's feet? :lol:
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Gamera216
Ronin

Post by Gamera216 »

Well i did say Miami in my post.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ Too niche. Don't get me wrong, it'd be interesting but the studio's obviously going for a big name city. Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, L. A., etc.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mr. Clean
Yojimbo

Post by Mr. Clean »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I was thinking that Godzilla attacks Davenport as his first city, then he moves on bigger name cities later on in the movie.
Why on earth would Godzilla be in Iowa?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Showa Gyaos wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Miami, Florida is worthy to be flattened by Godzilla's feet? :lol:
Nope, I live 25 minute's from Miami, Florida an think it's more then Worthy to be destroyed by Godzilla. I would go apply to be an extra for the film ''If they even did that'' just so id have the chance to be stepped on or just destroyed by Godzilla in the movie.

While Miami seems very doubtful i would like them to go with LA, San Diego, Texas, Mexico, as other options somewhere that's out of the usual like N.Y. If Godzilla has to go to New York it better not be for the entire film an better just destroy everything there an leave it in absolute ruins.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

I've got a hunch on Anchorage or Vancouver.
They seem like logical and realistic choices.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

GojiFan wrote:I would LOVE for this movie to take place in Chicago. Godzilla vs the Sears tower anyone? And as someone else said earlier about Philly, then I could try and be an extra in the movie.

But realistically, I see them doing Los Angeles or San Fransisco.
Goodbye Ferris Bueller! On subject, I like the idea of having a traveling Godzilla. It could have Godzilla going from city to city trying to get nuclear power, until the climax in California. I like the idea of him stopping in Pearl Harbor.
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

It really ought to be somewhere Pacific. LA or Seattle would be my choices.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

godzilla1996 wrote:I like the idea of him stopping in Pearl Harbor.
WWII vets would shit their pants. Not a good idea. -_-
Living Corpse wrote:Anywhere but New York. I'm so sick of New York city being the center of the universe in movies.
Same. If they do pick New York, it should be a brief visit. Not throughout the movie.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Living Corpse wrote:Anywhere but New York. I'm so sick of New York city being the center of the universe in movies.
Took the words right out of my mouth. If Godzilla has to make an appearance in NY he better level the damn place, leaving limited survivors. So tired of NY being the center or every major tragedy..... Send Godzilla to Mexico, Florida, Texas, California, Hell Send him to Canada for all i care just somewhere besides New York.

Ultraman Omega
Monsterland Worker

Post by Ultraman Omega »

Somewhere in California would be good. Perhaps passing off the rumbling of his footsteps and building destruction for earthquakes?

If I could pick though, I'd have Godzilla show up in St.Louis, just to be able to say "Godzilla destroyed my home."
Showa Gyaos wrote:WWII vets would shit their pants.
Don't a few of them do that already?