Release Date

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Re: Release Date

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Release date is COOL!

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

Yep as Giga Kaiju said the release date is May 2014 or more specifically May 16, 2014.

News article can be found here with copy of press release.

Now, let's see how many times (if any) this release date can be bumped around.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

zilla103192 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Anyone think it's funny that the film's release date is on the same day as movies with mutated turtles and apes? :)
And a mutated man. Spider-Man is a mutation after all.

NUH UHHHHHH

in the NEW series they are called CROSS SPECIES!!!

GEEZ man... get it right!!! :P
Not to get off-topic, and I know that you're just having some fun here. But he and the lizard are still mutations. "Cross-species" only refered to the science used to heal/improve people with medical conditions. /off-topic nerd ramble.

With Godzilla being announced for the beginning of summer, 2014 sounds like it will be a fun year for movies.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

tokyostateofmind said it right. It's wonderful that we have a release date; however, it's possible if not likely that we'll see that date get moved around (maybe even changing years). Not trying to be negative, just practical.

This does also confirm for us that it will be released in 3D as well.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

It's going to put it in competition with the new Michael Bay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and with Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes arriving the week after on May 31 2014.

Three CG protagonist driven films (sorta) in one month.

I think that the Turtles will be a good one to go up against because of the differing tones.
Things like that matter on opening but ultimately its going to come down to word of mouth. Friends and critics (in that order) make more of an impact then ads. I'm sure they are going to throw in lines like, "from the studio and writer that brought you the Dark Knight trilogy", and so they should. It will help set it up a high pedestal early on for film goers.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

ChunkyGodzilla
Monsterland Worker

Post by ChunkyGodzilla »

Saw this 1st thing in the morning. My wife woke up & I was so excited I couldn't wait to show her the article. She calls me her big kid :g2k:

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Saw it first thing this morning as well, woke up went to the computer & saw it the moment I typed in Godzilla.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Tyler wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Let's see if that release date sticks. Hopefully it won't be like GI Joe: Retaliation and they move the date almost a full year
Let's just hope they don't add Channing Tatum.
Is he becoming the male equivalent of Megan Fox? Eye candy? His acting has never really impressed me, but the ladies sure seem to love him.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

The thing that is really interesting that no one seems to have noticed is that this shows how much confidence Warner Bros and Legendary have in this film to release it one week after Amazing Spider-Man 2, a week before Apes and on the same weekend as Turtles. That is very encouraging
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Aw yeah. The countdown clock is now officially ticking! Less than two years to go...
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

As long as they don't put it up against Family movies like Night at the Museum or National Treasure it should do okay. (or anything 3D animated)

A kids movie would TRASH on Godzilla.

I think Bay's TMNT would beat it in the box office but not by a huge margin.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

You got that right, all these kid movies nowadays are garbage, something Godzilla doesn't need.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

GodzillaIsCool wrote: I think Bay's TMNT would beat it in the box office but not by a huge margin.
What? How? Especially based on all the negativity it has so far?
I'm guessing they will change the release date for it.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

I am still a firm believer that women hate Godzilla and if they had to pick between an action movie to see with their boyfriend that weekend they would pick TMNT. TMNT has nostalgia with chicks watching the cartoon etc when they were kids. Hannah Barberas Godzilla pales in comparison to TMNT cartoon/movies.

The only chance Godzilla has with women is if Godzilla and the destruction around him is shocking to look at and creates a huge word of mouth or there is an actor in it they badly want to see. You could try and counter my statement but you would have a hard time convincing me otherwise girls like Godzilla.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Assuming those three release dates stick, TMNT has a fair chance of beating Godzilla but I wouldn't put money on it. Dawn is a good player but maybe third of the three.

Now Spider-Man coming out two weeks earlier poses the biggest thread IMHO. However, after two weeks it might've lost juuust enough steam to let Godzilla (or one of these others) take the top slot.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

zilla-x
Samurai

Post by zilla-x »

I'm sorry but what is this? We get a release date finally and now people are trying to say it wont do good at the box office because of other films or because women dont like it? Give me a break.
TMNT is a Mess right now. Its probably going to get pushed back. Godzilla already has excellent word of the mouth because of the Comic Con footage. If they show the trailer in front of Man of Steel the look out.
Tohosaurus wrote: Now Spider-Man coming out two weeks earlier poses the biggest thread IMHO. However, after two weeks it might've lost juuust enough steam to let Godzilla (or one of these others) take the top slot.
Amazing Spider-Man was knocked off its 2nd weekend. The steam will be gone by the time Godzilla is in theaters.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Marvel's considering putting out their Ant-Man video from what I've been told.
I read that yesterday. If they put the teaser with both Man of Steel and Pacific Rim that will really double the buzz especially since MOS will have a much bigger audience.
Warner Bros wouldnt put this film out on that weekend if they didnt have confidence in this movie. That should be a GOOD sign to us.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

gatorzilla wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Marvel's considering putting out their Ant-Man video from what I've been told.
I read that yesterday. If they put the teaser with both Man of Steel and Pacific Rim that will really double the buzz especially since MOS will have a much bigger audience.
Warner Bros wouldnt put this film out on that weekend if they didnt have confidence in this movie. That should be a GOOD sign to us.

That confidence came for the teaser released at Comic Con. Edward's did that from what i heard by himself an the fact that ''if its true'' Wowed audiences an got rave reviews from those who attended def boosted faith in both Edward's an the project.

An Official teaser will more the likely be attached to Man of Steel an Pacific Rim, I'd be surprised if it wasn't attached to at-least one.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Chances are one of the films will change their release date. If a studio feels that a film won't have breathing room, they'll change its release date by a few weeks. It happened with the first ASM last year.

I think this is a decent enough time slot for the film. TMNT is it's only real competition and that film is really suffering in terms of PR at the moment.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Didn't the first Transformers have insanely bad word of mouth because of a leaked script and robot designs?