Soundtrack Speculation (Composer, Songs, Godzilla Theme)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JGAR
Futurian

Re: Soundtrack Speculation (Composer, Songs, Godzilla Theme)

Post by JGAR »

Desplat + Edwards = Zimmer + Nolan

I honestly didn't have a problem with the soundtrack, however, I was disappointed with the exclusion on the franchise main theme. Even a little easter egg, maybe as Elle's ringtone or something, would have been a lot better.
Yooo 8-)

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

All I think this franchise needs is actual "themes" for characters. Like the G14 main theme for Godzilla maybe if a MUTO is mentioned the Janjira theme. That was honestly my problem, no one piece of music was related to something besides the Janjira theme.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Godzilla The King wrote:All I think this franchise needs is actual "themes" for characters. Like the G14 main theme for Godzilla maybe if a MUTO is mentioned the Janjira theme. That was honestly my problem, no one piece of music was related to something besides the Janjira theme.
They should definitely do that now that they have Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah, all 3 known for having their own themes.
Yooo 8-)

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

It's very rare for movies to have clearly defined themes like the old days. I was actually really shocked and delighted when the Avengers got one of those classic, clear themes for the heroes. Some franchises still have character themes but it's not like the days of JAWS or Star Wars where the themes were in your face and quite obviously themes for a character.

If Godzilla 2014 has themese specific to a character, it's lost, you can make cases for it, but it's not obvious, there's no blatant Godzilla theme or MUTO theme, there's general tones for them. Some would say the opening titles are Godzilla's theme, ok, but how about how the use of that same music over the final attack of the female MUTO at the end of the move, Godzilla's nowhere to be found the whole time it plays.

I would like to see clear character themes, as mentioned, especially with classic Toho monsters making an appearance and having defined characterizations and themes.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Really hoping that in a future sequel we get to hear the classic Ifukube Godzilla theme done by an American film scorer. That would be incredible to hear.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

JGAR wrote:Desplat + Edwards = Zimmer + Nolan

I honestly didn't have a problem with the soundtrack, however, I was disappointed with the exclusion on the franchise main theme. Even a little easter egg, maybe as Elle's ringtone or something, would have been a lot better.
I think there is a tribute to it. At the end as Goji is leaving, you hear that "march" theme to some extent. Not a full cover, but it just immediately reminded me of that theme.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Even though I would have loved to see Giacchino at the helm. I can still appreciate the return of Desplat.
People just give him a hard time because he didn't use the old theme. Which is funny because it wasn't even used in every Godzilla movie to begin with.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I simply feel Desplat's music did not fit the apparent tone of the film. I can appreciate when a composer like Giachinno take's an existing theme and adds to it (like what hes doing with Star Trek and Jurassic World) but it's not needed. Hell some of the best scores in the franchise lacked the "Godzilla theme" and those who did use it actually felt forced and tacked on.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BurningGodzilla
Ronin

Post by BurningGodzilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I simply feel Desplat's music did not fit the apparent tone of the film. I can appreciate when a composer like Giachinno take's an existing theme and adds to it (like what hes doing with Star Trek and Jurassic World) but it's not needed. Hell some of the best scores in the franchise lacked the "Godzilla theme" and those who did use it actually felt forced and tacked on.
I couldn't agree more. The Return of Godzilla has one of my favourite Godzilla soundtracks, without retaining a single Ifukube cue if I remember correctly. Granted, Desplat did at least create a much more Godzilla sounding score than Godzilla (1998) in my opinion.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I think the lack of Godzilla's theme in the 2014 score is ok because he had very little screen time where he wasn't fighting the MUTOs where the music was more about the battle than Godzilla, even the visuals on screen.

If the new movie puts more focus on Godzilla himself and the other monsters, I'd like to see them get themes, even if something new.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I simply feel Desplat's music did not fit the apparent tone of the film. I can appreciate when a composer like Giachinno take's an existing theme and adds to it (like what hes doing with Star Trek and Jurassic World) but it's not needed. Hell some of the best scores in the franchise lacked the "Godzilla theme" and those who did use it actually felt forced and tacked on.
me too, it feels very, hrmmm a bit ADVENTEROUS more like indiana jones tone, exploration. The tone they SAID they were going for it never really fit the score, even though its a great score i believe the score was the wrong tone for the movie. Im sorry but the music just did not fit the hawaii flood scene, i think the music in part makes the scenes, now bare with me, a little cheesier than it should. i think the flood without music wouldve had a bigger impact, but again desplat's work was great. I think the only song i felt fit was godzilla;s main theme, the intro credits theme very well.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Godzillian wrote:Really hoping that in a future sequel we get to hear the classic Ifukube Godzilla theme done by an American film scorer. That would be incredible to hear.
Found it done in the style of Desplat's score: