Rejected Godzilla Concept Art

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Malchik
EDF Instructor

Re: Rejected Godzilla Concept Art

Post by Malchik »

Yeah, fuck this franchise, it's old hat. Godzilla has been on life support a majority of it's career. Once he picks up with a good film the cancer strikes again and th fanbase just pops the cyst.

Megaton17
Monarch Researcher

Post by Megaton17 »

...But Red King doesn't have ears...

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

^^^^ Cool, i doubt there official but Godzilla's spines are to small for my liking but kG an mothra don't look bad an neither does Rodan in my opinion.

Wish something would Officially leak from Legendary though, i am anxious to see how Godzilla will look or his opponent's

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't know if these where posted already on the forums but I found these on Facebook today.

Godzilla: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godzilla_a ... 4504512149

KG: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godzilla_a ... 4504512149

Mothra: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godzilla_a ... 4504512149

Anguirus: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godzilla_a ... 4504512149

Gigan: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godzilla_a ... 4504512149

Baragon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godzilla_a ... 4504512149

Rodan: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godzilla_a ... 4504512149

JJ: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godzilla_a ... 4504512149

I doubt these are real and I noticed that the site has been using other images as a legit concept art. I don't mind Godzilla's design, I like Mothra's and KG's design as well. Gigan and Jet Jaguar look pretty bad IMO.
I didn't like Godzilla's design. Godzilla's stance is just weird. King Ghidorah reminds me more of a bird of prey in that picture...while the design itself looks cool it shouldn't be King Ghidorah. I do sort of like Mothra's design though (I think it would look better in an animated series though). Anguirus''s design makes him look more badass than I have ever seen him before, so that's good. WTF is up with Gigan? The design is cool, but that should not be even remotely ever considered Gigan. Baragon's legs are too small for his body mass. Rodan looks more like Gyaos than Rodan. And Jet Jaguar looks like a transformer. Then again, I can't really think of a way how Jet Jaguar could ever work in an American film, and I would just rather not see him.

While I know these designs are probably fake, this is some actual good fan art. And while some of the designs I wouldn't consider for any film, they do look cool.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

All of the artwork looks cool. And Minilla actually LOOKS AWESOME! Jet Jaguar looks good (though lacks his funny grin), along with Rodan and Anguirus. King Ghidorah looks... Okay. Just a bit too bird-like as far as the wings and feet go. Mothra... Just seems... I dunno. I like it, but it just seems too serious for her... But looking at GMK, I guess it's okay. Now Baragon's feet are small to his body, but otherwise looks great. But Gigan? Ooo, lordie. Among these arts, it's probably my least favorite design. It just seems... Weird. But then again, aren't aliens suppose to look unnatural? Whatever the case, still doesn't look bad, I just don't necessarily favor it. And the buzzsaw is just too low for comfort. But what mostly irks me is the face. Everything else is fine, but that face needs to be classed up a bit. (AKA, needs to look more like the Gigan we're familiar with).
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Guys, the date these were posted says otherwise:
This photo was taken on January 21, 2006.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Showa Gyaos wrote:Guys, the date these were posted says otherwise:
...It's official. I'm slow.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Showa Gyaos wrote:Guys, the date these were posted says otherwise:
I never said I thought this was actual concept art. Which is obviously in not.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Hey, it's Fire Lion! :D
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Gib money.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

I wish they'd just use the 89 design...its cool/badass enough looking, the hardcore fanbase loves it and it wouldn't look silly to casual fans...IMO the best thing about the Heisei films was the Godzilla suits themselves.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Godz wrote:I wish they'd just use the 89 design...its cool/badass enough looking, the hardcore fanbase loves it and it wouldn't look silly to casual fans...IMO the best thing about the Heisei films was the Godzilla suits themselves.

Agreed, The suit in ''Godzilla vs Biollante'' is easily one of the best looking suit's in my opinion for Godzilla, but as the heisei series went on the suit kept looking worse an the thighs kept getting bigger it almost seemed like less effort went into it until ''Godzilla vs Destroyah''

Now i also wouldn't mind the look of ''Godzilla 1985'', something about that suit just got me... So i don't know maybe a mix of the both as long as he doesn't look like an over-sized T-Rex or Raptor i'll be okay.

but even if they copy the Godzilla design to a T that still doesn't gurantee that Godzilla will be represented correctly, they really got to know the character an the tragedy that comes with it or else fans will still hate it.

what i hope they work with the most is making Godzilla look realistic on film, like detail an the texture of his skin. CGI has gotten worse in it's time......an easy comparison is compare ''Jurassic parks'' CGI T-Rex to ''Jurassic park 3'' CGI T-Rex.... JP3 had a bigger budget, advanced effects, an it was 8 years later but it still looks like a computer game... Looked terrible to me anyways.

So i don't know, id love a leaked picture of Godzilla's design though but that's wishful thinking....

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Godz wrote:I wish they'd just use the 89 design...its cool/badass enough looking, the hardcore fanbase loves it and it wouldn't look silly to casual fans...IMO the best thing about the Heisei films was the Godzilla suits themselves.
Slim it down a little, have him move a bit faster, and maybe lean forward alittle like a T-Rex (thought not fully bent over) and yeah that would be awesome.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

How does the design on the right even remotely resemble the GMK Godzilla?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

zilla103192 wrote:Image
I'm glad to see this art. I'm happy that its rejected but I'm even happier for the direction their going. The spines on the one on the left are very cool. I dislike (still refereeing to the left) his posture.... but that really it.
The only thing that prevents me from jumping on board the left Godzilla is his moderit resemblance to a dinosaur.

I hope they stay away from the green and make the outer rows of the spines a bit more prominent.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:I think that Legendary is almost certainly going to give us a design with a dinosaurian posture. I just hope it isn't too pronounced, and I think the left-hand design is a pretty reasonable compromise.

The skreoonk is with north american filmakers trying to make Godzilla look like a regular theropode? Goddamn!
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

I find it interesting that both photo's have a series of blade like spines near the end of the tail. Its encouraging to see that they are trying new things to add on. I thought that they'd be tip toeing after reactions form the amount they added on to GINO. But the weapon tail is a nice touch and it feels natural.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

StonedHope wrote:
I find it interesting that both photo's have a series of blade like spines near the end of the tail. Its encouraging to see that they are trying new things to add on. I thought that they'd be tip toeing after reactions form the amount they added on to GINO. But the weapon tail is a nice touch and it feels natural.
Let,s Wait and see if the tail dosent become something close to a the Xenomorph Tail :roll:
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

i think that tail design is inspired by the 94 script design.

Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:
Cimmerian Dragon wrote:I think that Legendary is almost certainly going to give us a design with a dinosaurian posture. I just hope it isn't too pronounced, and I think the left-hand design is a pretty reasonable compromise.

The skreoonk is with north american filmakers trying to make Godzilla look like a regular theropode? Goddamn!
Because he kind of IS a Therapod. Plus the humanoid shape only arose from the physical limits of the actor in the suit, with that out the way. What's stopping them?
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Crocodile wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:

Because he kind of IS a Therapod. Plus the humanoid shape only arose from the physical limits of the actor in the suit, with that out the way. What's stopping them?
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.