Rejected Godzilla Concept Art

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Re: Rejected Godzilla Concept Art

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

Legion1979 wrote:
Mr. Clean wrote:I would, for one, like to see a Godzilla that truly looks ANCIENT. Like something that has been on the bottom of the ocean for God knows how long. Slightly scarred, worn down. Pretty much a grizzled old man, who shows the hell he's been through. Really brings out the tough as nails character of Godzilla.
Yuck.

"The hell he's been through"? What's with everyone wishing for a beaten up, emo Godzilla?
He's probably making a reference to Peter Jackson's King Kong. I admit Kong did look amazing looking "ancient" and "beat up" looking, but this is GODZILLA :)

Just give him a classic design minus the GINO & Millennium designs and I'll be happy.
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

Mr. Clean
Yojimbo

Post by Mr. Clean »

^ Yeah, pretty much. Say what you will about the film itself, but I think Peter Jackson did have a pretty cool interpretation of Kong. Now, I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I would like to see that kind of mindframe attached to Godzilla as well. A monstrous, unpredictable feral beast.

Haven't you ever heard of "manly scars"? :)

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Mr. Clean wrote:^ Yeah, pretty much. Say what you will about the film itself, but I think Peter Jackson did have a pretty cool interpretation of Kong. Now, I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I would like to see that kind of mindframe attached to Godzilla as well. A monstrous, unpredictable feral beast.

Haven't you ever heard of "manly scars"? :)
But how can Godzilla even have scars? He's got regenerative power. Unless that ability is not present in the film (much like in GMK), there'd be no way there can be manly scars. ;P
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Mr. Clean
Yojimbo

Post by Mr. Clean »

When those wounds heal up, they would still leave some sort of mark I suppose. And no, I don't want to imply I want the battles to be bloody and graphic, but I do want whatever monsters involved to really put up a good fight. I don't want to see Godzilla covered completely in scars or anything like that, but I would like for that to be a detail in the design; if you look closely enough you can see some scars and signs of age.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
KaijuX wrote:But how can Godzilla even have scars? He's got regenerative power. Unless that ability is not present in the film (much like in GMK), there'd be no way there can be manly scars. ;P
Watch Tokyo SOS and get back to me.

But regardless, I don't want a beat-up, scarred Godzilla. I really have no problem with a vertically flattened croc-ish tail, though.
CRAP. I forget that the SOS Goji has a scar! Gawsh, I need to watch more Godzilla again. -_-
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

They just need to bulken the first Godzilla and move the spines up his back. I would agree with the scar theory though unless they have two major fight scenes in the movie or a sequel. The scar would add a personal effect to Godzilla or a reminder to the audience watching the move that he lost before or won a previous battles. Lets say hypothetically speaking that Anguirus is in the movie and slashes Godzilla's eye before Anguirus is killed. It would be awesome to see the scar in the sequel because it would show an evolving Godzilla like Gamera in his trilogy.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

no just like Godzilla in sos. he had a massive scar on his chest from his previous battle with Kiryu. I was just using Anguirus and the eye scenario as an example.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Legion1979 wrote:LOL I don't want Godzilla looking like Sharptooth or Scar from the Lion King. That's incredibly cliche.
But then he could have a villainous musical number too!

"Be prepared for ma~assive destruction... be prepared for lots of explosions..."

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Now thats just silly. Haven't you scene Godzilla 2. You have the baby godzilla's doing a musical number on an ice rink. Now thats class.
—Epsilon

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

Legion1979 wrote:Crocodile tails? Webbed hands and feet?

Do you people even like Godzilla? Do you kids want a monster or a big, scientifically realistic animal??
You can easily have a monster which, while not necessarily scientifically realistic, doesn't blatantly contradict scientific knowledge of what the monster's based on (in this case dinosaurs). I think that's what most of us are looking for.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I hope they don't make Godzilla's posture too saurian, either. -_-
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I always disliked when people on these boards even referred to Godzilla as a therapod dinosaur. He's the exact opposite of one.

But, I agree with Legion1979. Godzilla has turned into a creature that's unique to it's own. I'm thinking it may be older members who realize any other creature besides Godzilla is not Godzilla. Godzilla is a creature who relies heavily on physical identity. Your fan creations look great in your head, I'm sure, but they'll be shunned by audiences because for fifty years people have grown to associate the character to his physical identity.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

He should also never be depicted as digitigrade or with a spur. I hate seeing him with dino/bird feet.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Malchik wrote:He should also never be depicted as digitigrade or with a spur. I hate seeing him with dino/bird feet.
I assume your talking about a dewclaw on the back of the foot. No I don't like that look either. There are degrees of digitigrade feet.
Even elephants and saurpod dinosaurs are digitigrade. There heels are held off the ground and rest on a large mass of connective
tissue that acts like a gel pad to support their weight. I hate the look of chicken legs on G as well and putting ones like G98's on
this redesign would be close to an instant fail in my book. So would a completely plantigrade stance. I'm just not as dogmatic as you and Legion are.
No Godzilla design has been perfect.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Inferno Rodan wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't mind if LP Godzilla was a "heavy" digitigrade, like so:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/ ... Dragus.jpg

Just because you make him digitigrade that doesn't mean you need to turn him into a friggin' raptor, people.
That is a good image of a low digitigrade ankle. Would work well for Godzilla's ankle.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

^ That works. Ankle off the ground and it still looks like Godzilla.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Tyler wrote:Image

^ How about that?
That's perfect. Hard to argue that the ankle destroys the essence of Godzilla.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Bluezilla wrote:
Tyler wrote:Image

^ How about that?
That's perfect. Hard to argue that the ankle destroys the essence of Godzilla.
I really don't think it does.

But that's a lot different from CGI. What works in a drawing or painting can look much better or much worse in CGI.
Proud father, husband, and son.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Regardless of how godzilla looked in the past, they will need to rethink how they want Godzilla's design to be presented in this new coming film. It will be CG so alot of things will be altered of course. From the stance to behavior etc. Taking Godzilla's size and weight into consideration he will need to have several changes made for the CGI to compliment the charactor. Its no longer suitmation so there will be no limitations to what Godzilla can do during different angle shots. Gino left a s*it stain because the charactor itself was a totally different animal with a false name. Its like taking Mike tyson and having him star as Rocky Balboa or should that be the other way around? So what they need to do is take the classic Godzilla and make a sick design that will be familiar but fresh at the same token. Dont agree? Well you dont have to. The main thing that they should leave untouched is the traditional dorsal fins, scale pattern and shade, blue death ray beam, long croc like tail and digitations of the fingers and toes.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Off topic. Who is between Ghidorah and Godzilla in the background?
Thought it was Anguiras at first but zooming in not so sure.