MonsterVerse Poll: Ranking the series so far

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Your options (2) are…

Godzilla (Gareth Edwards, 2014)
21%
Kong: Skull Island (Jordan Vogt-Roberts, 2017)
24%
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Michael Dougherty, 2019)
25%
Godzilla vs Kong (Adam Wingard, 2021)
30%

Total votes: 89

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

MonsterVerse Poll: Ranking the series so far

Post by tbeasley »

With Godzilla vs Kong having been out a couple weeks I thought it was time for a thread like this.

Of the four MonsterVerse films currently released, which two are your favorites/do you consider the best/however you want to put it?

Your options (2) are…

- Godzilla (2014) introducing Godzilla, the MUTOs
- Kong: Skull Island (2017) introducing King Kong, the Skullcrawlers, others
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) introducing Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah, others
- Godzilla vs Kong (2021) introducing Mechagodzilla, others

You can elaborate further in a post below. Check out my previous MonsterVerse poll here.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: MonsterVerse Poll: Ranking the series so far

Post by Maritonic »

Currently I'd rank them:
-Kong: Skull Island
-Godzilla: King of the Monsters
-Godzilla (2014)
-Godzilla vs. Kong

Though those last two may switch over time. I enjoy all the MonsterVerse, though..
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

1. Kong: Skull Island
2. Godzilla vs. Kong
3. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
4. Godzilla

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Godzilla vs Kong
Kong:Skull Island
Godzilla
Godzilla:King Of The Monsters

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:06 am Godzilla vs Kong
Kong:Skull Island
Godzilla
Godzilla:King Of The Monsters
Agreed. Actually if I applied a rating to each Movie I would give them as such:

85- Godzilla Vs. Kong
80- Kong Skull Island
70- Godzilla
50- Godzilla KOTM
Last edited by jrock on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

1) Godzilla vs Kong/King of the Monsters
2) Skull Island
3) Godzilla

I struggle to pick between GVK and KOTM as my absolute number one but I honestly don't hate any of the Monsterverse.

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

1) Godzilla (2014)/Godzilla v Kong
2) King of the Monsters
3) Skull Island

I struggle with my number 1 as I really liked the seriousness/air of reality underlying Godzilla (2014) and the scope that Gareth Edwards brought to the movie - I would love to see him return to the MV with a bigger budget to create more monster action. For GvK, I don't enjoy the silliness, but the if I view it as a Showa film it's not bad, and the characters are not annoying and the action is the best kaiju action I've ever seen.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
2. Godzilla vs Kong
3. Godzilla ‘14
4. Kong: Skull Island

My opinion is that we’ve got 4 awesome movies and it’s just a matter of preference

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters/Godzilla Vs. Kong (can’t decide atm)
2. Kong: Skull Island
3. Godzilla 2014

Honestly I love each of these and the order changes depending on my mood.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I like Godzilla 2014, Skull Island and Godzilla vs Kong, for all different reasons. I just think it’s easiest to say I like KOTM the least. Damn this is hard. Having to commit:
Godzilla vs Kong/Kong Skull Island
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla KOTM

Overall, the Monsterverse has been a smashing success.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I love all the entries in the MV, but if i had to rank them...

1. Godzilla vs Kong (87/10)
2. Kong: Skull Island (80/10
3. Godzilla 2014 (78/10)
4. Godzilla: KOTM (73/10)

The MV is a great series and a dream come true for me, so i hope it continues!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

I enjoy all of them well enough, but I think I would rank them like...

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
This movie leans more towards dumb fun, but I loved the action, monsters, and Bear's absolutely incredible soundtrack. It kinda reminded me of the earlier Showa movies, just with more sophisticated effects... and with cruddy MCU humor, which is the only thing I explicitly dislike about it.

2. Godzilla (2014)
This seems to be a less popular opinion nowadays, and while the boring cast does hold the film back (sans Brian), I really appreciate the cinematography, visuals, and how the monsters are portrayed in general. G2014 can actually be kinda disturbing because of it, in a good way; it feels the most real of the four MV films, complimented by a good, tense soundtrack. The MUTOs are pretty decent monsters as well, even if they aren't anything that new.

3. Godzilla VS Kong
I absolutely loved the action in this movie, especially anything that happened in Hong Kong, but the humor was pretty hit or miss... usually miss. The Hollow Earth stuff was a bit too much for me to stomach as well, especially when you compare it to G2014, which tried to be as grounded as possible. Monster movies will always be at least a little bit absurd, but that was a bridge too far for me.

4. Kong: Skull Island
A pretty fun movie overall, but nothing about it speaks to me, like it seems to for other people. I will say that I do appreciate Skull Island itself; I really like how alien the environment is, with all of the bizarre wildlife and monsters everywhere. The humor in it is a bit better than KotM and GVK as well, but I honestly don't watch Kaiju movies for humor anyway, so it only takes it so far for me. Still a pretty good movie, though, just not my favorite.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

1.Godzilla King of the monsters/ Godzilla Vs Kong
2. Godzilla
3. Kong Skull island

Their all good in my opinion

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla 2014: The best

Godzilla vs Kong: (Current) favorite

If I had to rank them:

Godzilla 2014 - 8.5/10
Godzilla vs Kong - 6.5/10
Godzilla: King of the Monsters - 6/10
Kong: Skull Island - 5/10
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzilla: King of the Monsters: Riddled with flaws, but I'm mostly succeeds where it counts, in the portrayal of the monsters themselves. It's a lot of fun, and introduces some interesting concepts to the franchise.

Kong: Skull Island: Held down by an overstuffed and unfocused cast, but solid otherwise. Kong and the island's other residents are great, and Packard, Marlowe, and John Goodman's character are some of the better human characters in the MV.

Godzilla: Haven't seen it in a while, but it doesn't get very much wrong. The problems are relatively minor, and it's all around the most competently made film of the four. The flashier elements of KOTM and KSI just appeal to me more, is all.

Godzilla vs. Kong: A mess, unfortunately. A poor sequel and a poor film in general. The good elements it does have are interfered with by the rest.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

After a bit of thinking, i’ve revised my list somewhat

1) Godzilla vs. Kong (8.5/10)
2) Godzilla 2014/Kong: Skull Island (8/10)
3) Godzilla: KOTM (7/10)

Again, i truly love all of these films and don’t really dislike any of them. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for the future of the MV!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzilla vs Kong seems to be winning by a good margin followed by KOTM and Skull Island neck and neck with poor G2014 last.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

G14
GvK
KSI
KotM
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

I'll rank them on a 1 to 10 scale.

Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island are perhaps the best made, overall. They have flaws, but are put together quite well. They feel like genuine cinema.
  1. Godzilla 2014. Probably 8 to 7.5 for me. Not perfect, but mostly inoffensive. Bryan Cranston and Godzilla needed to be in it more.
  2. Kong: Skull Island. About a 7 or 7.5, I'd say. Killing off characters for no reason doesn't work. They shouldn't have been focused on if they were so expendable.
  3. Godzilla vs. Kong is like a 6 or 6.5. It's fast paced and messy in places. The animation on Godzilla is off. Physics from previous movies just disappear for whatever reason. The plot just moves to set up the monster fights, regardless of if has to break or stretch the series' logic to get there.
  4. Godzilla: King of the Monsters is merely around a 4 to 5 to me, I hate to say it. The movie failed in plenty of areas, worsening a decent number of the issues with the two installments before it. The monster action in GKOTM is undercut by the plot and human characters, and isn't too enjoyable on its own due to having worse visibility than the other three movies. People say it looks better than Godzilla 2014, but I just don't see it. That movie is part of the reason why GvK isn't as great as it could have been.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Hmmm. I might change my mind if I think about this long enough but just off the top of my head I am going to say:
KotM
GvK
Godzilla
K:SI