Will the new Legendary and Netflix partnership affect future Monsterverse films?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Will the new Legendary and Netflix partnership affect future Monsterverse films?

Post by kaijuguy19 »

With how Legendary and Netflix are having a new partnership together and with new Legendary content like the Gundam movie, the Monsterverse Kong anime, and Pacific Rim the Black being exclusives on Netflix going forward I wonder if this means that going forward all future Monsterverse movies will be Netflix exclusives? I hope that's not the case because a big part of Godzilla vs Kong being the hit it is now is because of how it being a duel release in both HBO Max and at Theatres was what allowed many people to see and legally support it. Something that I doubt would have happened had Godzilla vs Kong gone straight to Netflix. If future Monsterverse movies end up as Netflix exclusives that would do more harm then good because not everyone can afford or even have access to Netflix thus hurting the Monsterverse's chance to thrive greatly overtime.

If there must be exclusive Monsterverse content on Netflix I'd rather have just TV shows there that expands more on the Monsterverse like what the Kong anime's doing and just have future Monsterverse movies be duel releases for theatres and HBO Max like GvK is. That way it's a win win for everyone.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Will the new Legendary and Netflix partnership affect future Monsterverse films?

Post by tbeasley »

Keith Aiken of SciFi Japan wrote this on Facebook pertaining a little to your question -
According to reports, Warner Bros. paid Legendary $200 million to run Godzilla vs. Kong on HBO Max. Warner's parent company AT&T is going all-in on streaming and wants to compete with other services like Netflix and Disney+, so they decided releasing all of Warner's 2021 theatrical slate was the way to get subscribers and was worth the expense. Legendary and Netflix have an ongoing partnerships for animated projects, and that's why Legendary's Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim: The Black and Skull Island are/will be on Netflix.
Not sure how Gundam factors in but Legendary/Netflix must have another deal for that.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Re: Will the new Legendary and Netflix partnership affect future Monsterverse films?

Post by dillonking55 »

With WB, from what I understand with the partnership (currently), WB chooses what films it wants to co-finance/distribute with Legendary.

That's probably why they opted not to distribute the MBB Sherlock Holmes film & Gundam.

With the first Pacific Rim underperforming, it's not too surprising WB wouldn't have much interest with Gundam.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 pm Keith Aiken of SciFi Japan wrote this on Facebook pertaining a little to your question -
According to reports, Warner Bros. paid Legendary $200 million to run Godzilla vs. Kong on HBO Max. Warner's parent company AT&T is going all-in on streaming and wants to compete with other services like Netflix and Disney+, so they decided releasing all of Warner's 2021 theatrical slate was the way to get subscribers and was worth the expense. Legendary and Netflix have an ongoing partnerships for animated projects, and that's why Legendary's Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim: The Black and Skull Island are/will be on Netflix.
Not sure how Gundam factors in but Legendary/Netflix must have another deal for that.
I believe in that case Netflix is the studio that has the Gundam rights and has brought in legendary to co-produce. Pretty much the reverse situation of legendary and Warner Brothers relationship in the monster verse.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

With any luck, it'll mean that future Monsterverse content will be on Netflix, and not the complete shitshow of a streaming service that is HBO Max. One can only pray...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 am With any luck, it'll mean that future Monsterverse content will be on Netflix, and not the complete shitshow of a streaming service that is HBO Max. One can only pray...
Don't you want to see a theatrical release for future movies in the next few years? Just genuinely curious

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:33 pm
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 am With any luck, it'll mean that future Monsterverse content will be on Netflix, and not the complete shitshow of a streaming service that is HBO Max. One can only pray...
Don't you want to see a theatrical release for future movies in the next few years? Just genuinely curious
Sure, but I'm talking about content like that Monarch TV show.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think if Netflix can snag Snyder and the MV they'd be set.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:47 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:33 pm
Sure, but I'm talking about content like that Monarch TV show.
Netflix does make quality shows so I wouldn't be opposed to any MV show being on there especially since Netflix is accessible practically everywhere. I still like HBO Max though but hell I have both so either way it goes works for me but Netflix does have bigger benefits.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Seems like Zack Snyder is already throwing shade at WB with regards to his new project over at Netflix — can’t help but wonder if that’s has any influence or indication as to whether Legendary is thinking long and hard about where they want to take the MonsterVerse next.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

obZen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:36 pm Seems like Zack Snyder is already throwing shade at WB with regards to his new project over at Netflix — can’t help but wonder if that’s has any influence or indication as to whether Legendary is thinking long and hard about where they want to take the MonsterVerse next.
why the fuck would legendary care what snyder thinks?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:01 pm
obZen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:36 pm Seems like Zack Snyder is already throwing shade at WB with regards to his new project over at Netflix — can’t help but wonder if that’s has any influence or indication as to whether Legendary is thinking long and hard about where they want to take the MonsterVerse next.
why the skreeonk would legendary care what snyder thinks?
If they're both dealing with sour experiences with recent WB, that'd give them plenty to agree on.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

*Boom*

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Nah. The universal partnership with Legendary didn't effect the Monsterverse.

Both sides were very happy with Godzilla vs. Kong. Legendary had a big stake in the box office and made a KILLING. They got paid 200 million for the HBO Max exclusivity. And Warner Brothers made a killing off their biggest HBO Max release ever.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I hope the series remains with WB. Netflix getting the series means waiting forever for a Blu Ray release and potentially limited theatrical release. We still don’t have a release of the Anime trilogy in the West.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

B34sT wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 am I hope the series remains with WB. Netflix getting the series means waiting forever for a Blu Ray release and potentially limited theatrical release. We still don’t have a release of the Anime trilogy in the West.
This. WB is the reason GvK still went to theaters & is getting the success it has right now while Legendary was absolutely willing to sell it to Netflix & be done with it.

It should stay as a joint WB/Legendary franchise.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Netflix seems okay with supporting and investing shitloads of money into new content exclusive to their platform. While not indicative of anything, I hope that others can recognize that perhaps, things can be just as good as bad moving forward. We can wake up one day and read a report of "Netflix to air new Godzilla anime" etc...

Oh wait, we've already been through that song and dance with Planet of the Monster Trilogy and SP.

All I can say, is that it means more Godzilla content, Monsterverse or otherwise. I wouldn't worry.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:46 am Nah. The universal partnership with Legendary didn't effect the Monsterverse.

Both sides were very happy with Godzilla vs. Kong. Legendary had a big stake in the box office and made a KILLING. They got paid 200 million for the HBO Max exclusivity. And Warner Brothers made a killing off their biggest HBO Max release ever.
Has it been confirmed that Legendary got $200M from WB for the HBOMax deal?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

obZen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:54 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:46 am Nah. The universal partnership with Legendary didn't effect the Monsterverse.

Has it been confirmed that Legendary got $200M from WB for the HBOMax deal?
According to Deadline, Warner Brothers paid out Legendary's full 75% share in the production budget to gain full rights over the movie. The budget was reportedly $160 Million, so that was about $120 Million.

‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’ Set To Profit During Pandemic At Global Box Office: Here’s How

As a result, the majority of the box office is going to Warner Brothers while Legendary is raking profits off of licensing fees. That's why everybody is happy: Legendary got an automatic payout plus some icing, while Warner Brothers' bet has paid off and they're seeing a profit even after spending an extra $120M on the movie.