Godzilla: Dominion and Kingdom Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: Dominion and Kingdom Kong

Post by _JNavs_ »

ernesth100 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:03 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:01 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am And I wonder if he would still call Kong “The Rival” now, and what he calls Rodan if Mothra is “The Winged One.”
In the novelization, where the part explained from Godzilla's POV, Godzilla describes current Kong as "another ancient enemy, older than the three-headed one, a rivalry written into his very blood and bone."
Can the monsters understand each other?
In Godzilla Dominion it's said that Godzilla is in touch fully with the Earth, and it's Titans. If they act up he comes by to tell them, "Look, stop, or i will kill you."
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

The Kong-related stuff in Dominion feels like it’s a bit hyper torqued in order to bolster GvK.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

plasmabeam wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 am Reading through Dominion now, I think it's fascinating that Godzilla actively lived with humans in his lair rather than by himself.

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:
"They don't belong here, they carry the stench of the Deep Hollows", seems Godzilla despises the Hollow Earth which is why he remains above it.

Added in 10 minutes 23 seconds:
Godzilla has his own names for everything,

Mothra = The Winged One
Kong = The Rival
Ghidorah = The Three Headed One
Boats/ships/ any craft = The Metal Beasts
This is all very interesting. Do you think it will be regarded as canon? The fact Godzilla hates Hollow Earth is fascinating. And I wonder if he would still call Kong “The Rival” now, and what he calls Rodan if Mothra is “The Winged One.”
As I read the "Rival" part again, Godzilla is not calling "the current Kong" as his "Rival". There were ancient Kong who could even drove Godzilla away from his old home. Godzilla mention the "Rival" 3 or 4 times in the comics. As Godzilla kept seeking his new home in Dominion, he finally decide to claim his old home.(Because there were not much options) But when Godzilla arrived to his old home, it was bit changed. The "Rival" Kong was already dead long ago. Tiamat was living there instead and is kicked out by Godzilla.

So, according to Dominion, there was a strong individual Kong who could even push Godzilla away, and be treated as a rival to Godzilla. It could be tens of millions of years ago so when Godzilla was not so strong as today.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

vastatosaurus wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:18 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 am Reading through Dominion now, I think it's fascinating that Godzilla actively lived with humans in his lair rather than by himself.

"They don't belong here, they carry the stench of the Deep Hollows", seems Godzilla despises the Hollow Earth which is why he remains above it.

Mothra = The Winged One
Kong = The Rival
This is all very interesting. Do you think it will be regarded as canon? The fact Godzilla hates Hollow Earth is fascinating. And I wonder if he would still call Kong “The Rival” now, and what he calls Rodan if Mothra is “The Winged One.”
As I read the "Rival" part again, Godzilla is not calling "the current Kong" as his "Rival". There were ancient Kong who could even drove Godzilla away from his old home. Godzilla mention the "Rival" 3 or 4 times in the comics. As Godzilla kept seeking his new home in Dominion, he finally decide to claim his old home.(Because there were not much options) But when Godzilla arrived to his old home, it was bit changed. The "Rival" Kong was already dead long ago. Tiamat was living there instead and is kicked out by Godzilla.

So, according to Dominion, there was a strong individual Kong who could even push Godzilla away, and be treated as a rival to Godzilla. It could be tens of millions of years ago so when Godzilla was not so strong as today.

Yeah, it's implied this was back when Godzilla was still young and the novel seems to indicate he views kongs as a whole as the rival, so it's likely a group of Kong's.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Huh can we get a poll added for which story people like more?
Saw a post from Matt Frank talking about how he found Kingdom Kong far more solid and that it is hard to get Godzilla from an American perspective and several agreed they liked Kingdom Kong more.
Honestly I just like Dominion so far because I really really wanted to see Godzilla's reign on the other monsters so much. Not to say I didn't want to see the last days of Skull Island.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Showzilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:26 am

Yeah, it's implied this was back when Godzilla was still young and the novel seems to indicate he views kongs as a whole as the rival, so it's likely a group of Kong's.
The story definitely implied that specific Kong was the lone one that drove him off seeing how he only mentioned and had flashbacks to one Kong.
Last edited by Tyrant28 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Tyrant28 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:30 am
Showzilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:26 am

The story definitely implied that specific Kong was the lone one that drove him off seeing how he only mentioned and had flashbacks to one Kong.
then Titan puberty is a magical fucking thing if he came back and contributed to the kongs as a whole losing the war.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

I absolutely love Dominion - in fact it may push LegendaryGoji into being one of my all-time fave versions (not that he wasn't anyway).

It has shades of Godzilla Earth but with the "the answer is genocide."

Kaijucifer
G-Grasper

Post by Kaijucifer »

Mothra = The Winged One
Kong = The Rival

It seems to strongly imply Godzilla was younger and that's when the Kong member drove him out.(head scratcher to say the least. Kong comes from the Hollow Earth, and at the very same time, when they were presumably ousted from it and Skull Island rose to the surface and we're all marooned on Skull Island not able to go anywhere else)
Idk, this is really weird. I hope the To Be Continued implies there will be a continuation beyond GvK, like a part 2.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Kaijucifer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm

It seems to strongly imply Godzilla was younger and that's when the Kong member drove him out.(head scratcher to say the least. Kong comes from the Hollow Earth, and at the very same time, when they were presumably ousted from it and Skull Island rose to the surface and we're all marooned on Skull Island not able to go anywhere else)
Idk, this is really weird. I hope the To Be Continued implies there will be a continuation beyond GvK, like a part 2.
maybe this was just Godzilla's territory when he was younger? it appears Tiamat was the one to defeat the kong and Godzilla beat her ass pretty solidly while his gut was empty and he was fighting to subdue her instead of kill her.

Kaijucifer
G-Grasper

Post by Kaijucifer »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 am Huh can we get a poll added for which story people like more?
Saw a post from Matt Frank talking about how he found Kingdom Kong far more solid and that it is hard to get Godzilla from an American perspective and several agreed they liked Kingdom Kong more.
Honestly I just like Dominion so far because I really really wanted to see Godzilla's reign on the other monsters so much. Not to say I didn't want to see the last days of Skull Island.
I think Matt Frank needs to speak for himself. I understand Godzilla just fine. Kingdom Kong felt underwhelming to me. Birds of a feather flock together anyway. That's why people who follow Matt and D Man and others tend to be Yes-men and rarely offer a contrary opinion that I've observed.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

Kaijucifer
G-Grasper

Post by Kaijucifer »

Showzilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:58 pm
Kaijucifer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm

maybe this was just Godzilla's territory when he was younger? it appears Tiamat was the one to defeat the kong and Godzilla beat her ass pretty solidly while his gut was empty and he was fighting to subdue her instead of kill her.
Probably. I'd like to see what else Godzilla was up to in the 5 years leading up to GvK.

Kaijucifer
G-Grasper

Post by Kaijucifer »

Just finished Dominion. It really hit me in the feels. Godzilla being so in tune with nature and the subtleties in his thoughts. His loneliness rolling off him in waves. His exhaustion but determination to hold to his ideals and role in nature.

His intelligence is greater than we initially assumed. Knew he was smart but I didn't think he was borderline human smart. Watch out, Kong lol. Godzilla really reminds me of Rambo from Rambo 4. Old grizzled and rough veteran that still hangs around the place of his torment and fight. He does not shy away from tearing shit up when he has to, and will get the job done. But he's almost expressionless as he adapts a stoic persona and only vocalizing when he needs to or in combat. And at the end of it, he returns to his original home. Literally Rambo 4 but Godzilla lol.
His overall presentation in the comic was much needed. I'm missing a lot of what I felt but this is what I can think of right now while sifting through my thoughts.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Kaijucifer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:15 pm Just finished Dominion. It really hit me in the feels. Godzilla being so in tune with nature and the subtleties in his thoughts. His loneliness rolling off him in waves. His exhaustion but determination to hold to his ideals and role in nature.

His intelligence is greater than we initially assumed. Knew he was smart but I didn't think he was borderline human smart. Watch out, Kong lol. Godzilla really reminds me of Rambo from Rambo 4. Old grizzled and rough veteran that still hangs around the place of his torment and fight. He does not shy away from tearing poop up when he has to, and will get the job done. But he's almost expressionless as he adapts a stoic persona and only vocalizing when he needs to or in combat. And at the end of it, he returns to his original home. Literally Rambo 4 but Godzilla lol.
His overall presentation in the comic was much needed. I'm missing a lot of what I felt but this is what I can think of right now while sifting through my thoughts.
Between dominion, the novel AND director statements, it's nice watching you enjoy this verse more and more.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

Kaijucifer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:15 pm Just finished Dominion. It really hit me in the feels. Godzilla being so in tune with nature and the subtleties in his thoughts. His loneliness rolling off him in waves. His exhaustion but determination to hold to his ideals and role in nature.

His intelligence is greater than we initially assumed. Knew he was smart but I didn't think he was borderline human smart. Watch out, Kong lol. Godzilla really reminds me of Rambo from Rambo 4. Old grizzled and rough veteran that still hangs around the place of his torment and fight. He does not shy away from tearing poop up when he has to, and will get the job done. But he's almost expressionless as he adapts a stoic persona and only vocalizing when he needs to or in combat. And at the end of it, he returns to his original home. Literally Rambo 4 but Godzilla lol.
I ordered it yesterday and can't wait to read it. Every time I look at Godzilla doing something, I try to imagine what he'd be thinking or what his emotion would be, so this is right up my alley.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Tiamat's design is growing on me, and I'd really like to see her appear in a movie someday, even if it's just a short cameo. Her design is maybe a bit too flashy, but it could still fit in with the rest of the Monsterverse aesthetic and works as a sea dragon-ish counterpart to Ghidorah's flying dragon motif. A problem I had with the other comic-original kaiju designs is that they do not seem to fit in the overall aesthetic of the franchise's monster designs. Shinomura, Muto Prime, Ahmuluk and Kraken all look like aliens, more akin to something out of the Pacific Rim universe rather than the Monsterverse. Tiamat looks like she could've evolved on Earth at least.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

The designs kinda look too PR with the neon slowly stuff. I dunno. Just looks like it's not a Godzilla kaiju.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Wait I'm mixed up. What Titan is Amhuluk? The thought Mokele-Mbembe got an official design and people were disappointed.
Amhuluk is the one contesting against Behemetho right? I like that design and Tiamat's.

But I REALLY like Kraken/Nakika.

Finished Kingdom Kong. Damn so Houston
Spoiler:
basically ruined Skull Isand. I sure hope he lived long enough to see the Hollow Earth be truly real. That was pretty cool when the lead performed a sonic boom right next to Camazotz head.
So it's alright and I like the MV tie-ins okay but I think if a poll opened up Dominion would win.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Is Na'Kika supposed to be like a Sea Mothra? That's what she looked like on my first read.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

I really enjoyed the Na Kika bit, seeing what happened in the novel illustrated like that was cool. I love how they have meshed them together so it feels like true canon material.