How would Gamera fit into the Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: How would Gamera fit into the Monsterverse

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Garzon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:52 am I think a Hollywood produced Gamera movie could potentially work. Yes, Gamera is an even more niche property than Godzilla has historically been, but if Marvel managed to make a big name out of the Guardians of the Galaxy, I don’t think it’s impossible to make Gamera work. The movie would probably need to go for more of a wacky tone, though.

As for how he’d fit into the MonsterVerse, I guess they could just make him an alien
Good point, I agree on him being a alien as well since it make him more unique than to copy elements from what we have

KaijuCrazy02
Ronin

Post by KaijuCrazy02 »

If I was to bring Gamera into the Monsterverse, I would be very careful with the way he is handled. I am going to admit that I don't like this guardians of the galaxy take on Gamera's character, but I respect that choice. I do believe it can be done if executed properly, considering they handled Ghidorah and Mecha-Godzilla very well in the Monsterverse so far.

Many titans have some type of mythology or religious ties to them, and how these titans inspired those stories. I think Gamera's religious tie in is how old Native Americans believed that a giant turtle was involved in the creation of Earth or how they essentially worship turtles or view them as deities or mystical figures similar to how Ancient Egyptians worshipped cats and viewed them as mystical beings. I would have Gamera be the inspiration for the Native American views on the creation and why they value turtles so much.

I would have Gamera be Godzilla's equal, and if they ever fought, I would move away from the "ancient rivalry" thing they have done with the MUTO's, Ghidorah, and now even Kong's family. I think the "ancient rivalry" thing has been done to death at this point, but we still need something to make them fight each other.

I would have Godzilla and Gamera once close friends, but due to a war in the Hollow Earth with the human civilizations, they were split up and forced to fight against each other similar to how Hank Marlow and Gunpei Ikari were once great friends but were forced to fight against each other due to World War 2.

Gamera wanted desperately to stay allies with Godzilla, but Godzilla has different motives and feelings, and shows no mercy to his enemies, regardless if they were once his ally or not. Given Godzilla was much shorter and had less powers at the time, it could be assumed that Gamera actually won during their first fight many years ago.

To build up for a hypothetical Gamera vs Godzilla movie, I would have the two have their own respective movies, one Gamera movie, and one Godzilla movie and then GvG. Gamera would either fight a brand new monster or perhaps Legendary could rehash one of his original enemies, and Godzilla can fight a new monster perhaps. Gamera's movie could come after Godzilla's and it would end with Godzilla looking up to Gamera as he flies away.

I'm not here to start a debate between how a fight between Legendary's version of Gamera and Godzilla would go and who would win, because that would potentially start several arguments and heated discussions. I would say that the fight would end without them teaming up, I would save the team up as a surprise moment in a future movie depending on who won.

So in summary:

Gamera would have inspired Native American's beliefs on turtles being some type of mystical creature or deity.

Godzilla and Gamera have a deeper backstory than we think.

There would be respective Gamera and Godzilla movies that both tease their eventual fight, when the hypothetical Godzilla vs Gamera movie comes, the fight ends with no team up.

The team up between the two can occur at a later date assuming the Monsterverse continues after GvG, the storyline between the two can have them slowly build the respect for each other back up, and forgetting about their estranged friendship over the thousands of years.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I absolutely love that idea tieing Gamera to Native American mythology and having him associated with Turtle Island as seen in various indigenous myths. I'm all down for it.

Though at the same time might have to be careful how it's done as like the Australian Aboriginals, many indigenous people in the Americas still hold very regard of their beliefs and don't want to accidentally come across offending them.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm I absolutely love that idea tieing Gamera to Native American mythology and having him associated with Turtle Island as seen in various indigenous myths. I'm all down for it.

Though at the same time might have to be careful how it's done as like the Australian Aboriginals, many indigenous people in the Americas still hold very regard of their beliefs and don't want to accidentally come across offending them.
Simple, don't tie him to those mythologies. Create new ones not that hard to do.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

That's the thing the MV had shown little to mid consistency in terms of OC content. It's easier to pull from reality than simply standing on your own sciences. We see that in GvK which almost abandons grounding anything in favor of the spectacle.

Then again, this is Gamera. And as a giant fire breathing turtle he would need to follow suit and have a not so serious but still epic tone of the movie.

Also I feel like either Godzilla or Kong need to cameo to get buts in seats. Or whatever MV Kaiju is popular by then
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:41 am Also I feel like either Godzilla or Kong need to cameo to get buts in seats. Or whatever MV Kaiju is popular by then
While I understand that, I’d rather not see every Monster solo fall back on “We need Kong/Godzilla to cameo. The world needs them-

If we need to get butts in seats, I feel there are other ways to do so. Pull a Civil War and have Gamera play a role in a big team-up, or attach some top notch directors/actors that easily grab people’s attention. Then once they can take a risk on a Gamera solo, they do as they see fit.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

UndineUndying
Ronin

Post by UndineUndying »

I guess I'd be interested in seeing an adaptation of Gamera in the states. I know I'm curious, but, I'm not really interested in seeing Legendary Ent. handle it, or seeing Gamera included in the "MonsterVerse" tbh. (There's also the fact that I'd love to see a US Gamera (or monster) film where the entire cast isn't predominantly white cast.)

The ideas surrounding MonsterVerse is just a bit too Malthusian for Gamera? Esp. in how it handles the dynamic between man and monster (animal, nature). The idea that Gamera could become apart of that space as well because the screenwriters handle the themes of environmentalism or preservation of nature irresponsibly, and with no real consideration to humanism/humanity (i.e., not veering into eco-fascism), makes me uncomfortable.

I wish the reputation of giant monster movies were better state-side, because the idea that Legendary is the only game in town for this genre is rather depressing.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion would be pretty cool as a big bad, you could try to introduce Gamera that way

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm trying to get a co-worker to check out Heisei Gamera since he saw Godzilla vs Kong. Only one MV movie he missed was KOTM which I told him to give a shot.
Sent him a clip from Guardian of the Universe where Gamera blows up the Gyaos at the bridge. Hopefully that hooks him.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:59 pm Legion would be pretty cool as a big bad, you could try to introduce Gamera that way
Any swarm type big bad is a threat. That's why Destoroyah is really so requested. People want to see his main form leading drones of his prior forms.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConvergeTakedown
Ronin

Post by ConvergeTakedown »

Isn't Gamera implied to be Genbu/Xuan Wu (Divine Beast of the North)? Especially since he originally woke up in the Arctic before making his way down to Hokkaido. Could go for that mythology angle again if necessary.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

ConvergeTakedown wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:51 pm Isn't Gamera implied to be Genbu/Xuan Wu (Divine Beast of the North)? Especially since he originally woke up in the Arctic before making his way down to Hokkaido. Could go for that mythology angle again if necessary.
Hell to add more to that have him associated with an ancient civilization that inspired what was Hyperborea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperborea

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:30 pm
ConvergeTakedown wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:51 pm Isn't Gamera implied to be Genbu/Xuan Wu (Divine Beast of the North)? Especially since he originally woke up in the Arctic before making his way down to Hokkaido. Could go for that mythology angle again if necessary.
Hell to add more to that have him associated with an ancient civilization that inspired what was Hyperborea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperborea
This works especially well since Legendary clearly wants to go the ancient civilizations route with this. With them being called Titans and old gods and what not.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

ernesth100 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:18 pmThis works especially well since Legendary clearly wants to go the ancient civilizations route with this. With them being called Titans and old gods and what not.
Really though, I like the concept and idea of an ancient civilization in an arctic environment.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Shadd21 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:45 pm If they introduce Gamera, Should he be portrayed as Godzilla's equal, or weaker?
Gamera works best as the underdog. Only thing is, Kong kinda had that role already in GvK.

Still, I'd love to see Gamara going up against Godzilla, getting roughed up, but never quitting.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm I absolutely love that idea tieing Gamera to Native American mythology and having him associated with Turtle Island as seen in various indigenous myths. I'm all down for it.

I've always envisioned him being tied with Genbu (also known as Xuanwu), the Black Tortise who is one of the four traditional Chinese celestial symbols.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Not sure that Toho would allow it. Legendary may have licensed the rights to some Toho monsters, but Toho still has say-so on a number of things. One of those I would imagine is allowing/disallowing competing properties to be featured alongside Godzilla or other characters. So Legendary can probably continue creating their own monsters, but I am skeptical they could just throw in Gamera, Ultraman, or other established properties without Toho's approval. Toho could say yes of course, but I am not sure what the likelihood of that is.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I would pay homage to the Heisei Gamera's origins and have him possibly be a created bioweapon against another more sinister bioweapon like Gyaos, but of course Gyaos could be replaced with something new. Since this is in part keeping things in order in nature, it would give him a role that Godzilla wouldn't overtake in his own way while also not overtaking Godzilla's own role. Basically Gamera doesn't care about nature's balance but in doing his instinctual directive, is helping Godzilla by helping to keep the balance. This would make him a loyal lieutenant to Godzilla like Mothra. I would prefer to see Gamera roughly an equal to Godzilla as well. However when all is said and done I don't think this is ever going to pass sadly.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

On the slim chance Gamera ever appeared in the Monsterverse...
He'd be an ancient species genetically modified by a race of ancient people who were vastly technology superior to the other peoples at the time. Similar to Apex's goals with Mechagodzilla, except in a manner more harmonious with nature. They created Gyaos from scratch, but due to it's runaway reproductive capabilities, they sealed it away. Maybe they were gifted alien technology, and that's what lured Ghidorah here the first time. Ghidorah defeated Gamera and the battle between him and Godzilla resulted in this society being wiped out, with Gamera going into suspended animation.
In the modern day, Gyaos has secretly reawakened, and has been breeding. Gamera finally wakes up after all the noise in the Hollow Earth following GvK, and his appearance susses out the Gyaos, who begin to battle around the globe, with lots of casualties. Godzilla is slumbering, rejuvenating from his battles in GvK, leaving Gamera alone to deal with Gyaos. However, by the end of the movie, Mothra and Rodan, and other Titans appear to help stem the global tide of Gyaos.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think that maybe Gamera would work better in his own Solo Hollywood franchise separate from the Monsterverse and done by a different studio.