Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

Post by imposterzilla »

He still is a Permian species, but his kind resided in the HE after the extinction. So a younger G is okay, it just means he's thousands of years old.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:02 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am I was mistaken about the Godzilla being to only one being involved with the war with Kong's species but my main thing is that some of us are treating these novels and comics as absolute canon even though they contradict what happens in the movies.
But Godzilla being younger than we thought doesn't contradict the movies...

The movies never give an age for Godzilla, just that he's ancient. The comics and novels contradict each other, mostly, which is why I take it that later comics and the GvK novelization retcon what earlier comics/novels said. Nothing in the movies themselves seems to be really affected by any of this. :)
The closest thing we have to any definitive statement on his age is that he was born after a war that started after humans began recording history

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I don't really see how it's debunked when Monarch said in 2014 that Godzilla and other like him lived on the surface when it was more radioactive and move further underground when subsided and this was after the Hollow Earth was substantiated in Kong:SI KOTM was Monarch first time ever reaching it. And I've already explained why I don't believe the comics should be treated as absolute canon.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:58 am This films say Godzilla was born after the war, so he's less than 200,000

And we're not disregarding awakening

Him being Permian was a THEORY in awakening, a THEORY that was DEBUNKED in KotM
In DynoMike's defense, the movie doesn't say THIS either. It doesn't say anything one way or the other about Godzilla's age relative to the war, only that Kong is relatively young and is learning all of this for the first time. The novelization says stuff, but ignoring that and going just by what the movies say it leaves Godzilla's actual role here kinda blank.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:05 am
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:58 am This films say Godzilla was born after the war, so he's less than 200,000

And we're not disregarding awakening

Him being Permian was a THEORY in awakening, a THEORY that was DEBUNKED in KotM
In DynoMike's defense, the movie doesn't say THIS either. It doesn't say anything one way or the other about Godzilla's age relative to the war, only that Kong is relatively young and is learning all of this for the first time. The novelization says stuff, but ignoring that and going just by what the movies say it leaves Godzilla's actual role here kinda blank.
It's says "their ancestors" and some of his earliest memories involve humans and human civilization

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:02 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am I was mistaken about the Godzilla being to only one being involved with the war with Kong's species but my main thing is that some of us are treating these novels and comics as absolute canon even though they contradict what happens in the movies.
But Godzilla being younger than we thought doesn't contradict the movies...

The movies never give an age for Godzilla, just that he's ancient. The comics and novels contradict each other, mostly, which is why I take it that later comics and the GvK novelization retcon what earlier comics/novels said. Nothing in the movies themselves seems to be really affected by any of this. :)
Agreed on this but it's a fun debate nothing personal I'm just glad we can share our collective thoughts. I still prefer the idea of an older Godzilla though since Kong's arc is the young one growing up in the world which nicely contrasts to Godzilla's arc as the noble weary old samurai warrior.
Last edited by DynomikeGojira on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:05 am I don't really see how it's debunked when Monarch said in 2014 that Godzilla and other like him lived on the surface when it was more radioactive and move further underground when subsided and this was after the Hollow Earth was substantiated in Kong:SI KOTM was Monarch first time ever reaching it. And I've already explained why I don't believe the comics should be treated as absolute canon.
They THOUGHT they lived on the surface

THEN they found the hollow earth

Old theory out

New theory in

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

We can at the very least say then that Godzilla has been around since the Pleistocene Epoch yes if this is the case?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:05 am I don't really see how it's debunked when Monarch said in 2014 that Godzilla and other like him lived on the surface when it was more radioactive and move further underground when subsided and this was after the Hollow Earth was substantiated in Kong:SI KOTM was Monarch first time ever reaching it. And I've already explained why I don't believe the comics should be treated as absolute canon.
They THOUGHT they lived on the surface

THEN they found the hollow earth

Old theory out

New theory in
But you keep forgetting that Kong Skull Island is when the Hollow Earth theory was first substantiated why do you think Randa recruited Brooks to Monarch in the first place. KOTM was simply Monarch first actually going there

Added in 48 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 am We can at the very least say then that Godzilla has been around since the Pleistocene Epoch yes if this is the case?
Fair compromise.lol

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am I'm still not buying that it goes so much against what Gareth Edwards and Mike Dougherty have both said about Godzilla and personally I don't the comics are side canon anyway and that's all I'll say on the matter. Fun debate because obviously we disagree so my bowing out.
Mike hasn't said anything about his exact age not had Edwards

They call him old but don't give him an age

Hell, there are Gojiras OLDER than Godzilla
I never said they gave him an exact age but I treat the film as priority canon and nothing in the films has contradicted what they said so we chose to ignored Awakening yet we treat Aftershock and Dominion as canon. Skull Island's history varies from film to comic to film. K:SI when Marlow explained when the Iwi first came they feared Kong's species until they were protected by them from the Skullcrawlers then in Birth of Kong they revised that saying that by the time the Iwi arrived Kong's parents were the only ones left and the majority Skullcrawler war had already happened and know in GvK now they're saying the Iwi had already had a relationship with Kong's species before coming to Skull Island so yeah I don't consider that comics to be priority and set canon.

Added in 3 minutes 51 seconds:
MorgolKing wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:42 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:15 am Yet the novel suggest that only Godzilla in the war so that contradicts that so unless an actual movie comes out and says that it's now canon and G14 stats that the Titans travelled underground when surface radiation depleted and this was 2014 years after Brooks Hollow Earth theory was substantiated in Kong Skull Island. The Hollow Earth to me is just a suriving component of that ecosystem it doesn't have to be one way or the other.
Went back through the thread and couldn't quite understand what you're getting at....can you clarify? I'm interested.
I was mistaken about the Godzilla being to only one being involved with the war with Kong's species but my main thing is that some of us are treating these novels and comics as absolute canon even though they contradict what happens in the movies.
Got it, thanks

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:08 am It's says "their ancestors" and some of his earliest memories involve humans and human civilization
The movie says "ancestors", sure, but unless I completely missed something we do not see or learn any of Godzilla's memories in the movie, which was the point I was trying to make. Going by the movies and movies alone, we simply aren't told anything definitive about Godzilla's age.
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 am Agreed on this but it's a fun debate nothing personal I'm just glad we can share our collective thoughts. I still prefer the idea of an older Godzilla though since Kong's arc is the young one growing up in the world which nicely contrasts to Godzilla's arc as the noble weary old samurai warrior.
Oh, yeah! It's a neat conversation. ^_^ I personally prefer a younger Godzilla, I think that's part of why I like Heisei Godzilla as a character.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 am We can at the very least say then that Godzilla has been around since the Pleistocene Epoch yes if this is the case?
Probably

The temple he was in in KotM was obviously based on Atlantis, which was allegedly sunk 9,000 years before Plato's time.

I'd probably wager he saw the end of both. He's probably around 12,000 years old, so he'd see the very end of the Pleistocene epoch.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:21 am
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:08 am It's says "their ancestors" and some of his earliest memories involve humans and human civilization
The movie says "ancestors", sure, but unless I completely missed something we do not see or learn any of Godzilla's memories in the movie, which was the point I was trying to make. Going by the movies and movies alone, we simply aren't told anything definitive about Godzilla's age.
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 am Agreed on this but it's a fun debate nothing personal I'm just glad we can share our collective thoughts. I still prefer the idea of an older Godzilla though since Kong's arc is the young one growing up in the world which nicely contrasts to Godzilla's arc as the noble weary old samurai warrior.
Oh, yeah! It's a neat conversation. ^_^ I personally prefer a younger Godzilla, I think that's part of why I like Heisei Godzilla as a character.
What's really ironic is that I was intitally against the idea of a naturally occurring Godzilla species that may or may not be from the Permian and now here I am defending it. Great point on the Heisei Godzilla so I guess I'm now more open to the idea of Godzilla being significantly younger than we originally thought but it will still take an actual movie that directly confirms that before I'll subscribe to it.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

His earliest recordings appear to be Chauvet-type cave art depictions of him fighting Ghidorah so he was definitely an adult by some portion of the late Pleistocene.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla's earliest memories could be a couple of things.

1. I can for example can remember 1 thing about being 3 years old and I will be 30 soon.

2. Is Godzilla remembering his earliest memories of just his interaction with humanity.

Awakening and G14 go with him being from the Permian era and even surviving the extinction event. Looking at Dominion one of his memories looks like it could honestly be even further back then we thought. Godzilla thinking his first memories is not actually his first memories he simply recalling how things have changed and the panels show three that stand out to him.

As fans it is our job top make lesser canon fit until a movie directly contradicts lesser canon and then we throw it out. Awakening and Dominion as of 2020 when Legendary brought it up have an equal standing. So something like this seems to have happened.

-Godzilla is born around 250m years ago.
- Permian extinction event happens
-Titans go deep, some go into the Hollow Earth
-The Kongs appear and some how the Iwis as well
-Gojiras and Kongs get into a war(Godzilla did not fight in this war)
-Godzilla himself doesn't necessarily enter the Hollow Earth he just becomes aware.
-Based on the novel Mothra is likely the one who told Godzilla of this war.
-Godzilla marks the Kongs as an enemy
-Godzilla is driven from what appears to be Skull Island by a Kong.
-The iwis say Kong's parents who were not truly Titans were the only protectors.(This means Kong's uncle or someone else drove Godzilla away.(Godzilla is the strongest of his species and has powered up even further from normal so it is very possible another Kong could drive away a weaker younger Godzilla.)
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am Godzilla's earliest memories could be a couple of things.

1. I can for example can remember 1 thing about being 3 years old and I will be 30 soon.

2. Is Godzilla remembering his earliest memories of just his interaction with humanity.

Awakening and G14 go with him being from the Permian era and even surviving the extinction event. Looking at Dominion one of his memories looks like it could honestly be even further back then we thought. Godzilla thinking his first memories is not actually his first memories he simply recalling how things have changed and the panels show three that stand out to him.

As fans it is our job top make lesser canon fit until a movie directly contradicts lesser canon and then we throw it out. Awakening and Dominion as of 2020 when Legendary brought it up have an equal standing. So something like this seems to have happened.

-Godzilla himself doesn't necessarily enter the Hollow Earth he just becomes aware.
-The iwis say Kong's parents who were not truly Titans were the only protectors.(This means Kong's uncle or someone else drove Godzilla away.(Godzilla is the strongest of his species and has powered up even further from normal so it is very possible another Kong could drive away a weaker younger Godzilla.)
Pretty much sums up what I believe

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am Godzilla's earliest memories could be a couple of things.

I'll take it!

Yay Legendary Goji stays 250 million years old! :D

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:54 am

That's interesting...I like the idea of G from the Permian era and the titans being around and moving closer to the center of the earth as the radiation levels declined. Where does the part of Godzilla being driven from Skull Island come from? Not a huge fan of that.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

MorgolKing wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:21 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:54 am

That's interesting...I like the idea of G from the Permian era and the titans being around and moving closer to the center of the earth as the radiation levels declined. Where does the part of Godzilla being driven from Skull Island come from? Not a huge fan of that.
Dominion

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Guys, the movies never state he's any where NEAR 250 M

The closest thing we have to a statement on his age COMES from the movies and says his ANCESTORS fought the war. Even if he was born RIGHT AFTER, this war was still fought while humans walked the earth.

Even awakening never explicitly said "this is Godzilla, he's 250 M" that was a character in story THEORIZING it.