Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm maybe another movie could dive properly into this history?
I'd love it if in a future movie Kong duel wielded axes or maybe there is even a freaking spear or sword?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:02 am Hm maybe another movie could dive properly into this history?
I'd love it if in a future movie Kong duel wielded axes or maybe there is even a freaking spear or sword?
I think this Hollow Earth Godzilla/Kong War backstory stuff is perfect fodder for another animated series. :D

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The novel goes into detail about Ren's relationship with his dad. He sees Godzilla like an older brother who always got the love and admiration he never got. Also Jonah has a constant presence in the novel so far, and is apparently still at large.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

What's Jonah up to?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

imposterzilla wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:44 pm What's Jonah up to?
The guy who sold Simmons the Ghidorah head was strongly implied to be Jonah. Other than that he's still out there and is referenced numerous times. There's also mention of eco-terrorist attacks, so it's likely he's still out there doing his thing.
ImageImage

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Breakdown wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:08 pm
The guy who sold Simmons the Ghidorah head was strongly implied to be Jonah. Other than that he's still out there and is referenced numerous times. There's also mention of eco-terrorist attacks, so it's likely he's still out there doing his thing.
But it’s mentioned in the movie that there are two Ghidorah skulls; one in the control room and one in MG himself. I thought Jonah only had one head. I guess this means that when Godzilla disintegrated Ghidorah some bones were left over and we just didn’t see it?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

JesstrK wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:36 pm
But it’s mentioned in the movie that there are two Ghidorah skulls; one in the control room and one in MG himself. I thought Jonah only had one head. I guess this means that when Godzilla disintegrated Ghidorah some bones were left over and we just didn’t see it?
He did mention something about two heads, or something along those lines in the novel. I'll have to go back to verify after I finish the book. I have about 3 hours left on the audiobook.

Another thing I really like is how this book ties in literally everything from previous films and comics. It's really cool to hear the characters talk about comic-only monsters like Shinomura, Camazotz, Na Kika, etc. Bill Randa and Houston Brooks are also mentioned often. It really makes everything feel connected and cohesive.
Last edited by Breakdown on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Maybe Kevin's tissue resulted into two skull heads besides the surviving one.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah that's weird there are two heads. My head cannon for the movie is the brain or jaw is in the eye and the skull is the pilot/drift seat.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

That's the impression I'm getting. The scene where the mysterious man (he's never actually identified as Jonah, just heavily implied) sells Simmons the skulls doesn't explain at all where he got them, just that he had two ("Just the two") and wanted a ton of money for them.

My head canon is that they are the left and right heads from Boston, which Jonah managed to get ahold of in the chaos after KOTM. He certainly had opportunity, and as the Post-Credit scene shows he was interested in collecting pieces of Ghidorah. It'd be nice if that was clarified, though.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

It would be interesting if parts from the Boston battle started to regenerate, but didn't pull it off much before just becoming dormant bones.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Pkmatrix wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:47 am

That's the impression I'm getting. The scene where the mysterious man (he's never actually identified as Jonah, just heavily implied) sells Simmons the skulls doesn't explain at all where he got them, just that he had two ("Just the two") and wanted a ton of money for them.

My head canon is that they are the left and right heads from Boston, which Jonah managed to get ahold of in the chaos after KOTM. He certainly had opportunity, and as the Post-Credit scene shows he was interested in collecting pieces of Ghidorah. It'd be nice if that was clarified, though.
I think this is the kind of plot hole that occurs because novels are based on early scripts.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/interv ... gard-2021/
Mirjahangir: Alright. So the previous film, in the end credits, felt like it was setting up like for a sequel. Rodan’s in Fiji, there’s another Mothra egg… everything, but they’re not in the movie at all and so were they part of the story originally?

Wingard: No they never came up. I mean I was the one who really pushed for the Ghidorah skull element of the movie. Like obviously that’s teed up in the the post scene in [Godzilla] King of Monsters but that actually was already in our script and they created that post credits scene as a reaction to what we are already going to be doing in this movie.
In this recent TK interview, it is revealed that Adam Wingard actually had ordered KotM to leave a Ghidorah skull.

And I guess Adam probably have asked for two skulls at first. One in the control room and one in MG himself, this mechanism is mentioned several times in the novelization. I think this is much more plausible method describing how they control MG.

But it seems Mike Dougherty couldn't find a proper way to leave two skulls.

So, those two skulls descriptions in novelization could be traces of the early script.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Or a semi undead regen....oh no! Monster X?!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

So apparently the novel says that the war was all the Kongs vs just Godzilla, and Godzilla won
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

I think there is another possibility that Jonah's organization managed to salvage another Ghidorah head that was torn off by Godzilla in ancient times.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

BennettCommando wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:53 pm I think there is another possibility that Jonah's organization managed to salvage another Ghidorah head that was torn off by Godzilla in ancient times.
Or more likely it was another of King Ghidorah's heads found in the ruins of Boston that wasn't atomized.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 am So apparently the novel says that the war was all the Kongs vs just Godzilla, and Godzilla won
Like I thought.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:10 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 am So apparently the novel says that the war was all the Kongs vs just Godzilla, and Godzilla won
Like I thought.
I don't think so. You are probably talking about the Iwi myth Jia tells to Ilene right?

But there is a part talking about the huge bones:
Scatterings of huge bones were visible in that dim light; in the brighter HEAV floodlights they were recognizable as those of Titans. And one, still largely articulated, seemed especially familiar. She had seen pictures of such skeletons, from the Philippines, and elsewhere. She’d seen bones like this covered in muscle and scale. It was a species that resembled Godzilla.
Sounds like there was not only one "Godzilla like titan" at the ancient battlefield.

Also, as Kong's species could have collected many dorsal fins of Godzilla's kind, they should have managed to kill some of their rival species.(In Godzilla Dominion, Godzilla calls Kong's species as his "Rival". This comics is all described from Godzilla's POV. In novel there is also this from Godzilla's POV: "another ancient enemy, older than the three-headed one, a rivalry written into his very blood and bone.")

This is also mentioned in the novel:
'Godzilla. Not. Enemy.' He snorted at her, roaring his disapproval at the very thought. He didn’t believe. How could he? Their kinds had been at war for so long. Godzilla—like Jia, like Kong—he was an orphan now. The last.
So I think there have been war between their species, not like Kong's species fighting against only one, certain Godzilla individual.
Although I also think that Kong's species probably much outnumbered Godzilla's.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

In Godzilla Dominion, it's said that Kong (The Rival) forced Godzilla out of his original home.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:07 pm In Godzilla Dominion, it's said that Kong (The Rival) forced Godzilla out of his original home.
A Kong forced Godzilla out of Skull island. Godzilla was the one calling the other Titans to Skull Island in the kotm credits.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image