Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

God I hope this clogs up the thread for another 5 pages

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:11 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am Godzilla's earliest memories could be a couple of things.

1. I can for example can remember 1 thing about being 3 years old and I will be 30 soon.

2. Is Godzilla remembering his earliest memories of just his interaction with humanity.

Awakening and G14 go with him being from the Permian era and even surviving the extinction event. Looking at Dominion one of his memories looks like it could honestly be even further back then we thought. Godzilla thinking his first memories is not actually his first memories he simply recalling how things have changed and the panels show three that stand out to him.

As fans it is our job top make lesser canon fit until a movie directly contradicts lesser canon and then we throw it out. Awakening and Dominion as of 2020 when Legendary brought it up have an equal standing. So something like this seems to have happened.

-Godzilla is born around 250m years ago.
- Permian extinction event happens
-Titans go deep, some go into the Hollow Earth
-The Kongs appear and some how the Iwis as well
-Gojiras and Kongs get into a war(Godzilla did not fight in this war)
-Godzilla himself doesn't necessarily enter the Hollow Earth he just becomes aware.
-Based on the novel Mothra is likely the one who told Godzilla of this war.
-Godzilla marks the Kongs as an enemy
-Godzilla is driven from what appears to be Skull Island by a Kong.
-The iwis say Kong's parents who were not truly Titans were the only protectors.(This means Kong's uncle or someone else drove Godzilla away.(Godzilla is the strongest of his species and has powered up even further from normal so it is very possible another Kong could drive away a weaker younger Godzilla.)
I'll take it!

Yay Legendary Goji stays 250 million years old! :D
He was young when defeated by the Kong so that blows that outta the water.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

imposterzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:31 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am Godzilla's earliest memories could be a couple of things.

1. I can for example can remember 1 thing about being 3 years old and I will be 30 soon.

2. Is Godzilla remembering his earliest memories of just his interaction with humanity.

Awakening and G14 go with him being from the Permian era and even surviving the extinction event. Looking at Dominion one of his memories looks like it could honestly be even further back then we thought. Godzilla thinking his first memories is not actually his first memories he simply recalling how things have changed and the panels show three that stand out to him.

As fans it is our job top make lesser canon fit until a movie directly contradicts lesser canon and then we throw it out. Awakening and Dominion as of 2020 when Legendary brought it up have an equal standing. So something like this seems to have happened.

-Godzilla himself doesn't necessarily enter the Hollow Earth he just becomes aware.
-The iwis say Kong's parents who were not truly Titans were the only protectors.(This means Kong's uncle or someone else drove Godzilla away.(Godzilla is the strongest of his species and has powered up even further from normal so it is very possible another Kong could drive away a weaker younger Godzilla.)
I'll take it!

that and his earliest memories involve lemurs, whales and humans

and nothing in awakening nor the movies state "he's millions of years old"

the closest thing we have is "his ancestors fought a war" so in other words, the animals that would make the animals that would make the animals that would make him fought a war that he was never involved in. ya'll are so quick to take the words of characters until someone explicitly states "godzilla isn't old enough to have been here"
Last edited by Showzilla on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:35 pm Guys, the movies never state he's any where NEAR 250 M

The closest thing we have to a statement on his age COMES from the movies and says his ANCESTORS fought the war. Even if he was born RIGHT AFTER, this war was still fought while humans walked the earth.

Even awakening never explicitly said "this is Godzilla, he's 250 M" that was a character in story THEORIZING it.
The movies don't state his age at all. Ilene made an assumption about so called ancestors because they died long ago she wasn't a witness to this war. Titan maturation is different from other animals Kong in the 1940s looks about the same as he does in the 1970s.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:44 pm
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:35 pm Guys, the movies never state he's any where NEAR 250 M

The closest thing we have to a statement on his age COMES from the movies and says his ANCESTORS fought the war. Even if he was born RIGHT AFTER, this war was still fought while humans walked the earth.

Even awakening never explicitly said "this is Godzilla, he's 250 M" that was a character in story THEORIZING it.
The movies don't state his age at all. Ilene made an assumption about so called ancestors because they died long ago she wasn't a witness to this war. Titan maturation is different from other animals Kong in the 1940s looks about the same as he does in the 1970s.

you'd almost have a point if you weren't also jumping at the assumptions of other characters who don't even make specific statements about Godzilla. point of the order is, she says he's not old enough and he says his kind won the war but he himself never was involved. between a bunch of random statements and only one has the big G himself lending credence to one, I'm going with pleistocene Godzilla over Permian Godzilla.

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

Speaking of Triceratops skull on the Skull Island, I remember some fans stating that the Skull Island Triceratops might be larger than real world Triceratops judged from the size of the prop. If it is true, than I think one can assume that some prehistoric creatures might grown larger than their ancestors due to exposure of Titan radiation or Hollow Earth Energy. Too bad we can't get to see more giant dinosaurs in Monsterverse. As a dinosaur lover, I often think that “Not including living dinosaurs” is not a wise choice.

As for the feud thing.
I believe the feud was never “ONE GODZILLA fighting entire Kong species” thing. As it would make it too one-sided. A war between two races, maybe even including other Titans that follows them, would be more reasonable to fit in the “ancient rivalries” narrative.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:59 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:44 pm

you'd almost have a point if you weren't also jumping at the assumptions of other characters who don't even make specific statements about Godzilla. point of the order is, she says he's not old enough and he says his kind won the war but he himself never was involved. between a bunch of random statements and only one has the big G himself lending credence to one, I'm going with pleistocene Godzilla over Permian Godzilla.
We can agree that it's currently Godzilla's age is unknown you prefer that idea of an younger Godzilla while I on the otherhand prefer the idea of a Permian age Godzilla so far the evidence presented to me hasn't changed my opinion or preference as I've plenty of times said I treat the films as the priority canon and I consider the comics to be side canon and the novels to be alternate canon. At end of the day it doesn't really matter either way Godzilla is Godzilla and this was a fun debate that I enjoyed and believe it's not personal, your views are valid and certainly possible and who knows maybe officially in a film(keyword) it will confirm what your saying and if it does I'll shake your hand and admit that I was mistaken. Glad you are invested in this expansive and amazing lore that the MonsterVerse has set up.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

BennettCommando wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:13 pm Speaking of Triceratops skull on the Skull Island, I remember some fans stating that the Skull Island Triceratops might be larger than real world Triceratops judged from the size of the prop. If it is true, than I think one can assume that some prehistoric creatures might grown larger than their ancestors due to exposure of Titan radiation or Hollow Earth Energy. Too bad we can't get to see more giant dinosaurs in Monsterverse. As a dinosaur lover, I often think that “Not including living dinosaurs” is not a wise choice.

As for the feud thing.
I believe the feud was never “ONE GODZILLA fighting entire Kong species” thing. As it would make it too one-sided. A war between two races, maybe even including other Titans that follows them, would be more reasonable to fit in the “ancient rivalries” narrative.
Godzilla himself confirms that

He says his kind drove them out and more than hints this was before his time.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

BennettCommando wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:13 pm Speaking of Triceratops skull on the Skull Island, I remember some fans stating that the Skull Island Triceratops might be larger than real world Triceratops judged from the size of the prop. If it is true, than I think one can assume that some prehistoric creatures might grown larger than their ancestors due to exposure of Titan radiation or Hollow Earth Energy. Too bad we can't get to see more giant dinosaurs in Monsterverse. As a dinosaur lover, I often think that “Not including living dinosaurs” is not a wise choice.
And given the marine reptiles shown in a panel in Dominion, I like to think normal prehistoric animals from various time periods survived by moving into the hollow earth including dinosaurs explaining the triceratops skull.

Like to also think said normal prehistoric animals are prey to the larger titan megafauna.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

As for the feud thing.
The one Godzilla was a mistaken assumption people made which other have pointed out so I changed my tune on it especially when I actually remember the littered Godzilla corpses in the throne room.

As for the living dinosaurs I'm sure giant dinosaurs still live somewhere in the Hollow Earth likes I've said earlier I thing various species have migrated to and from the Hollow Earth throughout Earth's history and I can bet you that dinosaurs did as well. As far as the Skull Island dinosaur population I'm cool that they only showed the Triceratops skull in the boneyard because I really just reiterated how much of a threat the Skullcrawlers posed to Skull Island no only driving Kong's species to near extinction but the dinosaurs as well.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

In G14 they say he is from an era where the radioactivity is 10x more than now and in Awakening the art is showing us he was in that era. That means the ones that fought in the war were simply older than Godzilla and he didn't take part in the war.

Your parents are your ancestors for example. If Godzilla's parents were 255 million years old and fought in the war that fits.

Added in 2 minutes 31 seconds:

I'll take it!

No he was younger and weaker.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:32 pm

In G14 they say he is from an era where the radioactivity is 10x more than now and in Awakening the art is showing us he was in that era. That means the ones that fought in the war were simply older than Godzilla and he didn't take part in the war.

Your parents are your ancestors for example. If Godzilla's parents were 255 million years old and fought in the war that fits.

I'll take it!

What you're mentioning was a theory, they bring it up in KotM novelization and say it prevails over the crack pot hollow earth theory......then guess what happened...

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:33 pm

What you're mentioning was a theory, they bring it up in KotM novelization and say it prevails over the crack pot hollow earth theory......then guess what happened...
What is the exact wording in Kotm becasue the comics hold a higher canon over the novels from old scripts. the Kotm novel for example still has Godzilla at 350 feet.

Movies-Tv shows-Comic-Novels should be in that order of canon.

Godzilla himself hasn't even been to the Hollow Earth.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:38 pm
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:33 pm

What is the exact wording in Kotm becasue the comics hold a higher canon over the novels from old scripts. the Kotm novel for example still has Godzilla at 350 feet.

Movies-Tv shows-Comic-Novels should be in that order of canon.

Godzilla himself hasn't even been to the Hollow Earth.
In GvK, they do basically say "all titans originated from the hollow earth" and that the energy signatures down there match Godzilla's. So if you want to do that canon hierarchy, remember that GvK is a power cudgel. I personally think it's just an evolution of scientific understanding

1. The earth was radioactive up top once, so it could support these creatures
2. Oh, there's an underground ecosystem? Cool
3. Oh, there's evidence titans came from there
4. Holy shit, it's got a powerful energy source that fuels the ecosystem like the sun does out here
5. Oh fuck, there's evidence that says the kongs and the Gojiras came from the HE.
6. That energy source has the same readings as Godzilla.

I think the Permian theory was used because it had the most support for the time but the evidence has shift fully to the hollow earth theory.

I fully believe Godzilla's species is probably hundreds of millions of years old (I know word of God says his kind are dinosaurs so....eh....) but Godzilla himself probably isn't. All the evidence points to him NOT being that old.

On another note, the novel does explain why Godzilla doesn't poison any area he walks through

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:59 pm On another note, the novel does explain why Godzilla doesn't poison any area he walks through
Why's that?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Spydrmanjr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:11 pm
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:59 pm On another note, the novel does explain why Godzilla doesn't poison any area he walks through
Why's that?
His body radiates HE energy, uses it to do everything from blast shit to move his muscles. He absorbs radiation and converts it into HE energy.

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

The Entire “Titanus Gojira” species might trace back to Permain era, or even earlier. However, Godzilla himself might not be that old.

The memories about seeing continents parting or prehistoric creatures, are likely some kind of genetic memory that Godzilla inherited from his kind and ancestors.

From what GVK told us, Titans might originated from HE rather than surface world. Therefore, instead of finding refugee underground, these Titans were just “going home” when mass extinction event happens.

As the opening credits showed a cave painting with Skullcrawler and Mothra along with Godzilla and Kong. I believe that the “Gojira/Kong War” was not only a feud between two species, but also a great war that got multiple Titan species involved.

The opening credits also showed ancient arts and texts that recorded the conflict between Godzilla and Kong. Such as a Sumero-Akkadian tablet recording “Giants battle underground”, Godzilla and Kong locking in battle in a piece of ancient Japanese art and a Mesoamerican painting. I speculate that aside from Skull Island, some Titanus Kongs ended up in other parts of the world, and are eventually hunted down by Titanus Gojiras. The other possibility is that these records were all fragmental memories of the Hollow Earth War.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

So I finished the novelization, and when Ghidorah takes over MechaGodzilla I got some serious Planet-Eater vibes from how they describe Ghidorah's consciousness literally devours Ren's and leaves him an empty husk before killing him. The novel also makes it seem like Ghidorah's ghost or spirit is haunting the skull despite the brain having rotted away. The spirit is described as having a rage that spanned millions of years.
Last edited by Breakdown on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

He remembered the glimpse of a tiny creature, one of his, reaching to touch him, the obliterating light that followed. Renewed, he had risen, and fought, and triumphed. He proclaimed himself and the others bowed to him. But no war is won so easily. He knew this from his own memories, but also from other recollections that came to him from a far deeper place, from the darkness before his eyes first opened. They were not the same recollections as those he had experienced himself; there were no colors or remembered shapes or even places, but instead a deep certainty. As his senses stretched to encompass the wind that blew from the heart of the planet and encircled the world above to meet the winds from the sun, as he could feel the slow rivers of molten rock flowing, colliding, swallowing land, giving birth to it, the cycle of hot rise and cold fall in the waters, the pumping heart of the oceans, everything that was now, so too did he feel what was, when the surface of the earth was liquid rock, when waters came, when ice covered everything, when the green life came and clawed its way onto bare rock. When many of his kind lived, fighting always, and the New Ones came to try to claim dominance.
He had settled the latest war. And then he had sought his own place to rest. But the same light that had given him the energy to fight had also destroyed that place. So he searched for another, and found it, wrestling it from a terrible adversary. He called the others to their places of rest. And there, in the warmth, in the hollow bones of the earth, he had rested his weary, battered body, knowing that eventually the planet would call him back. He drifted into the half-dream, where present and past were the same.
Time passed, no more than a single blink of his eye, it seemed. Then came an itch, a taste on the back of his tongue. Familiar but not familiar. Out of place and wrong. He tried to ignore it at first, because it seemed so insignificant; a tiny parasite trying to burrow into his scales.
But it grew, and as it grew, so did his anger. They should not dare. They should know better.
He broke from the half-sleep, his dreaming ended. He reached out to the other Titans, those woken by Ghidorah and all of the others, too. They were all still where they were supposed to be, quiet, at rest.
All but one; one that should be there but was not.
He pulled himself up. The time for rest was done. His gaze rested on the gigantic skull of the enemy, the ancient adversary his kind had once driven from this place but never completely defeated. He shrieked his warning, his threat, his growing rage.
And then he began his long journey back to the surface, to find the itch in his scales and end it forever.
Since I was not a native speaker, I find myself struggling to comprehend this excerpt, which was written in Godzilla's perspective.
What exactly does the passage “But no war is won so easily. He knew this from his own memories, but also from other recollections that came to him from a far deeper place, from the darkness before his eyes first opened. They were not the same recollections as those he had experienced himself; there were no colors or remembered shapes or even places, but instead a deep certainty. ” means ?

In later half of the passage, it also mentioned the part “When the surface of the Earth was liquid rock.”

Some people interpreted the excerpt as “Godzilla and his species were so old that his, or his species' entire history traces back to the Genesis of the planet.”

However, the forum seems to think that while “Titanus Gojira” is old, “Godzilla” is definitely not the oldest member of its species.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

BennettCommando wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:05 pm
He remembered the glimpse of a tiny creature, one of his, reaching to touch him, the obliterating light that followed. Renewed, he had risen, and fought, and triumphed. He proclaimed himself and the others bowed to him. But no war is won so easily. He knew this from his own memories, but also from other recollections that came to him from a far deeper place, from the darkness before his eyes first opened. They were not the same recollections as those he had experienced himself; there were no colors or remembered shapes or even places, but instead a deep certainty. As his senses stretched to encompass the wind that blew from the heart of the planet and encircled the world above to meet the winds from the sun, as he could feel the slow rivers of molten rock flowing, colliding, swallowing land, giving birth to it, the cycle of hot rise and cold fall in the waters, the pumping heart of the oceans, everything that was now, so too did he feel what was, when the surface of the earth was liquid rock, when waters came, when ice covered everything, when the green life came and clawed its way onto bare rock. When many of his kind lived, fighting always, and the New Ones came to try to claim dominance.
He had settled the latest war. And then he had sought his own place to rest. But the same light that had given him the energy to fight had also destroyed that place. So he searched for another, and found it, wrestling it from a terrible adversary. He called the others to their places of rest. And there, in the warmth, in the hollow bones of the earth, he had rested his weary, battered body, knowing that eventually the planet would call him back. He drifted into the half-dream, where present and past were the same.
Time passed, no more than a single blink of his eye, it seemed. Then came an itch, a taste on the back of his tongue. Familiar but not familiar. Out of place and wrong. He tried to ignore it at first, because it seemed so insignificant; a tiny parasite trying to burrow into his scales.
But it grew, and as it grew, so did his anger. They should not dare. They should know better.
He broke from the half-sleep, his dreaming ended. He reached out to the other Titans, those woken by Ghidorah and all of the others, too. They were all still where they were supposed to be, quiet, at rest.
All but one; one that should be there but was not.
He pulled himself up. The time for rest was done. His gaze rested on the gigantic skull of the enemy, the ancient adversary his kind had once driven from this place but never completely defeated. He shrieked his warning, his threat, his growing rage.
And then he began his long journey back to the surface, to find the itch in his scales and end it forever.
Since I was not a native speaker, I find myself struggling to comprehend this excerpt, which was written in Godzilla's perspective.
What exactly does the passage “But no war is won so easily. He knew this from his own memories, but also from other recollections that came to him from a far deeper place, from the darkness before his eyes first opened. They were not the same recollections as those he had experienced himself; there were no colors or remembered shapes or even places, but instead a deep certainty. ” means ?

In later half of the passage, it also mentioned the part “When the surface of the Earth was liquid rock.”

Some people interpreted the excerpt as “Godzilla and his species were so old that his, or his species' entire history traces back to the Genesis of the planet.”

However, the forum seems to think that while “Titanus Gojira” is old, “Godzilla” is definitely not the oldest member of its species.
It's a description of Godzilla having Genetic Memories, memories he inherited from his parents and earlier ancestors through his DNA and not of his own. It's the same as the explanation Nathan gives in the movie for why Kong would know where to go if they brought him to the Hollow Earth, even though he as an individual had never been there having been born on Skull Island.

Genetic Memory is how, IMO, the writers of GvK and the Graphic Novels are retconning anything earlier that suggested Godzilla was 250M years old since they clearly now want him to be only a few thousand years old: anything from his POV in Awakening, Aftershock, or the novelizations that suggested he'd been alive since the Permian are NOT actually his real memories, but genetic memories of his ancestors' lives. He knows what it was like in the Permian and remembers the Permian Extinction and the War because he had ancestors who lived through those things, he himself never experienced those because he's like 50,000 or 100,000 years old or something. It's the writers' way of having their cake and eating it too.