Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by canofhumdingers »

I’m late to the party but I finally got to see this movie today! I was holding out until I could go to the theater and see it properly. I’m sure I’ll watch it on HBOmax before it leaves, but I’d really like to see it in the theater one more time. It really deserves to be seen on the biggest screen you can get to.

I haven’t read through this thread yet so I don’t have much idea what the general consensus is but, I have to say, that was a heck of a lot of fun! Very very pleased with how this film turned out! Kong totally stole the show. I’m personally more of a Godzilla fan (who isn’t?), but credit where it’s due, Kong ruled this flick! Godzilla was an absolute beast too!

If I had a complaint it would be that I don’t love mechagodzilla’s design. I very much DID like the story for MechaG; how he was built and why, how he was controlled, how they lost control. The whole MechaG story was great! And the fight was awesome! It’s just the physical look of MechaG that didn’t really do anything for me.

But overall this might be my favorite monsterverse film. Which is saying something b/c I LOVED K:SI and thoroughly enjoy KOTM. Guess I’ll have to watch it again to decide for sure... :huge: :lol: :Godzilla68: :Mechagodzilla74:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:38 am-snip-
Eyyyyy, glad ya liked it! You don’t really want to go read any of the previous pages if you want to keep this high...lol
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:38 am I’m late to the party but I finally got to see this movie today! I was holding out until I could go to the theater and see it properly. I’m sure I’ll watch it on HBOmax before it leaves, but I’d really like to see it in the theater one more time. It really deserves to be seen on the biggest screen you can get to.

I haven’t read through this thread yet so I don’t have much idea what the general consensus is but, I have to say, that was a heck of a lot of fun! Very very pleased with how this film turned out! Kong totally stole the show. I’m personally more of a Godzilla fan (who isn’t?), but credit where it’s due, Kong ruled this flick! Godzilla was an absolute beast too!

If I had a complaint it would be that I don’t love mechagodzilla’s design. I very much DID like the story for MechaG; how he was built and why, how he was controlled, how they lost control. The whole MechaG story was great! And the fight was awesome! It’s just the physical look of MechaG that didn’t really do anything for me.

But overall this might be my favorite monsterverse film. Which is saying something b/c I LOVED K:SI and thoroughly enjoy KOTM. Guess I’ll have to watch it again to decide for sure... :huge: :lol: :Godzilla68: :Mechagodzilla74:
Cool to hear you had a great time! It's definitely shaping up to be my most rewatched MV film lmao. It's just so damn fun.

ceeboogie
Samurai

Post by ceeboogie »

is it me, or does it look like they show an outline of the megagodzilla toy that never released? In the movie at 1:04:56-1:04:59 when they're about to show the mechagodzilla demonstration on the skull crawler. If you look on the screen it looks like an outline of it, looks like the red spines. I wish I could post a picture of what I'm talking about. I have seen a better picture of the megagodzilla with the red spines and those red spines go over Godzilla's spines on the figure. If there's a way to post a picture I will kindly do so..... Just food for thought though....

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

ceeboogie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:55 am is it me, or does it look like they show an outline of the megagodzilla toy that never released? In the movie at 1:04:56-1:04:59 when they're about to show the mechagodzilla demonstration on the skull crawler. If you look on the screen it looks like an outline of it, looks like the red spines. I wish I could post a picture of what I'm talking about. I have seen a better picture of the megagodzilla with the red spines and those red spines go over Godzilla's spines on the figure. If there's a way to post a picture I will kindly do so..... Just food for thought though....
do this: [ img ] image url goes here [ /img ] with no spaces at all
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:30 pm

Oh my goodness you're a lifesaver; despite being in this forum for a couple of years I never knew how to post images lol. Thank you
Long Live The King

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Hokmuto wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm

Oh my goodness you're a lifesaver; despite being in this forum for a couple of years I never knew how to post images lol. Thank you
Make sure there's no spaces between the square brackets and the word img, and also no spaces between the two img tags.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So Legendary posted a big thank you to all the fans who support the Monsterverse, along with a "YOU are the Monsterverse"

"From the Beginning... To the Ultimate Showdown", The anticipation between these 2 sentences gave me anxiety lmao.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am Oh, by the way, regarding Shimidah: It has Godzilla's gills and neck plates, further supporting the idea that the creatures down there just naturally have Godzilla's features due to their lifestyles.
I understand what you’re saying about the gills, but while the plates on Shimidah look somewhat similar, I think they are just generically crocodilian-ish, at least in the ZBrush artist sense. It's insectoid, although seemingly superficially. It's crocodilian, but superficially. It has fish-like eyes as well.

Same thing with the lizard thing in the Hollow Earth. Only the plates looked sort of similar to the 2014 Godzilla design (all but retconned out at this point), and the rest was generally crocodilian/toad-like.

I'd also say that the creatures don't have Godzilla's features, but similar adaptations? Convergence? I'd prefer for all of them to appear completely unique, though. There are no semi-aquatic tetrapods in real life that have gills, so I'd like Godzilla to be left unique in some way, especially since they most closely resemble shark gill slits. I think it's a weird concept overall to make things resemble Godzilla because they're from the Hollow Earth. It's just as weird as some of the early concept art for Mothra having some resemblance to the male MUTO. I don't like the idea. I'd prefer entirely distinct creatures, with nothing resembling the other unless they're actually related.
ceeboogie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:55 am is it me, or does it look like they show an outline of the megagodzilla toy that never released? In the movie at 1:04:56-1:04:59 when they're about to show the mechagodzilla demonstration on the skull crawler.
I don't see it. The timestamp you gave is with Bernie, Madison, and Josh just walking into the "sacrifice pit", and before Mechagodzilla is powered on. I looked after that point and throughout the whole demonstration scene, and all I saw was Mechagodzilla there.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

ceeboogie
Samurai

Post by ceeboogie »

Hokmuto wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm

I took a picture of it from my cell phone

Added in 2 minutes 11 seconds:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:24 pm
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am Oh, by the way, regarding Shimidah: It has Godzilla's gills and neck plates, further supporting the idea that the creatures down there just naturally have Godzilla's features due to their lifestyles.
I understand what you’re saying about the gills, but while the plates on Shimidah look somewhat similar, I think they are just generically crocodilian-ish, at least in the ZBrush artist sense. It's insectoid, although seemingly superficially. It's crocodilian, but superficially. It has fish-like eyes as well.

Same thing with the lizard thing in the Hollow Earth. Only the plates looked sort of similar to the 2014 Godzilla design (all but retconned out at this point), and the rest was generally crocodilian/toad-like.

I'd also say that the creatures don't have Godzilla's features, but similar adaptations? Convergence? I'd prefer for all of them to appear completely unique, though. There are no semi-aquatic tetrapods in real life that have gills, so I'd like Godzilla to be left unique in some way, especially since they most closely resemble shark gill slits. I think it's a weird concept overall to make things resemble Godzilla because they're from the Hollow Earth. It's just as weird as some of the early concept art for Mothra having some resemblance to the male MUTO. I don't like the idea. I'd prefer entirely distinct creatures, with nothing resembling the other unless they're actually related.
ceeboogie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:55 am is it me, or does it look like they show an outline of the megagodzilla toy that never released? In the movie at 1:04:56-1:04:59 when they're about to show the mechagodzilla demonstration on the skull crawler.
I don't see it. The timestamp you gave is with Bernie, Madison, and Josh just walking into the "sacrifice pit", and before Mechagodzilla is powered on. I looked after that point and throughout the whole demonstration scene, and all I saw was Mechagodzilla there.
It's on the screen. I took a picture of it so the picture is on my cellphone but it's right after they walk in the "sacrifice pit" and the guy in charge of apex is in the room with Ren telling him to get started.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Idk what concept art of Mothra resembled a Male MUTO, but I did really enjoy the wasp and Cicada (preferred design actually) concepts of her.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

ceeboogie
Samurai

Post by ceeboogie »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:38 am I’m late to the party but I finally got to see this movie today! I was holding out until I could go to the theater and see it properly. I’m sure I’ll watch it on HBOmax before it leaves, but I’d really like to see it in the theater one more time. It really deserves to be seen on the biggest screen you can get to.

I saw it twice in the theater. First time I saw it in IMAX and it was good. Picture was clear and sound was powerful. Two days later I saw it in Dolby Vision and I liked it better than IMAX. The picture from Dolby Vision was better, colors popped and made the IMAX picture look pale even though it was clear in IMAX. And the Dolby audio was better as well, the low frequencies were stronger. I recommend everyone who hasn't seen this movie in the theater to go see it in Dolby Vision!!! Definitely was well worth it! I might go see it a third time in Dolby Vision!!! I hope when the 4k disc comes out for home it has Dolby Vision!!!

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:26 pm Idk what concept art of Mothra resembled a Male MUTO, but I did really enjoy the wasp and Cicada (preferred design actually) concepts of her.
You can also see that her general body plan remained similar to this. Thankfully, this was just early concept art, just like how each monster went through strange designs for the purpose of combining the best traits, seemingly.

Speaking of concept art, I would have liked to see Godzilla fight the Ghidorah they seemed to almost go through with. Image Image

I don't think anyone shared this yet, but take a look at some more of Mechagodzilla's concept art. None of them were really that impressive, honestly.
https://www.legacyefx.com/godzillavskong
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Just rewatched the Hong Kong fight and...wow. Easily my favorite kaiju fight ever.

Kong is such a badass. Moreso than Goji here. That fucking dropkick and the way he tore the axe from the building...just...so good.

Y’know...Kong is starting to creep up on Goji’s spot for my number one favorite kaiju. Blasphemous, i know, but there’s something so endearing about the big guy, especially after GvK
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I wonder about that MegaGodzilla figure....maybe it's from a concept from an earlier script OR made to troll us.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Personally, I couldn't care less about the armour, lol. I wouldn't have liked Godzilla to have a life support armour in the film, and I wouldn't have bought the figure due to its size.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

I want to know about the Mega-Godzilla thing to actually know the truth behind it. Was it a toy gimmick, or an actual plot point for the movie at some earlier point in production? The latter actually seems likely to me, because the armor had an actual name, Kong's axe changed, the Skull Crawler's colors changed, and the Warbat was called Nozuki. Full characters were cut. Hours of filming was not used. The Tasman sea battle was changed, because the final CGI for the punch is different from the old leak. That makes me question how much CGI was redone. The Playmates toys have battle damage and Godzilla has a radio tower accessory. Those could he gimmicks, or something else because the movie was changed.

(It kinda looks like there was a "Mega" Mechagodzilla figure planned that seemed to have more articulation than the "giant" one, but I could be wrong. The tail has more red on it as well. That might come out later? Strange.)
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:59 pm Personally, I couldn't care less about the armour, lol. I wouldn't have liked Godzilla to have a life support armour in the film, and I wouldn't have bought the figure due to its size.
It's absolutely a terrible idea, but wouldn't you like to know if that terrible idea was ever legitimately considered for the movie? I want to know who came up with it so that I know who should never be allowed to touch the Godzilla franchise again. :lol:

Edit: I'm surprised nobody acknowledged the link I shared. Has everyone already seen these or something? Image Image
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Third time seeing the film today. I've come to the conclusion that I like it as a Hollywood blockbuster tentpole franchise movie but as a Godzilla movie, I'm not in love with it. Does it scratch the same itch as a good Toho Godzilla/kaiju film? Not even close. Is it a better time than an MCU or Fast and Furious movie? Absolutely.
I don't love the Monsterverse, but I'll say that every film in it (as well as Pacific Rim) are the only films I go to anymore that come close to putting the 'special' in special effects.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:43 pm I want to know about the Mega-Godzilla thing to actually know the truth behind it. Was it a toy gimmick, or an actual plot point for the movie at some earlier point in production? The latter actually seems likely to me, because the armor had an actual name, Kong's axe changed, the Skull Crawler's colors changed, and the Warbat was called Nozuki. Full characters were cut. Hours of filming was not used. The Tasman sea battle was changed, because the final CGI for the punch is different from the old leak. That makes me question how much CGI was redone. The Playmates toys have battle damage and Godzilla has a radio tower accessory. Those could he gimmicks, or something else because the movie was changed.

(It kinda looks like there was a "Mega" Mechagodzilla figure planned that seemed to have more articulation than the "giant" one, but I could be wrong. The tail has more red on it as well. That might come out later? Strange.)
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:59 pm Personally, I couldn't care less about the armour, lol. I wouldn't have liked Godzilla to have a life support armour in the film, and I wouldn't have bought the figure due to its size.
It's absolutely a terrible idea, but wouldn't you like to know if that terrible idea was ever legitimately considered for the movie? I want to know who came up with it so that I know who should never be allowed to touch the Godzilla franchise again. :lol:

Edit: I'm surprised nobody acknowledged the link I shared. Has everyone already seen these or something? Image Image
I like these designs....are these what were used in the film. Godzilla's head doesn't look small here.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I kinda like the top design. I do love the version we got just towers over him and the longer arms make sense. Makes it harder for Godzilla to fight it.