Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by BennettCommando »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:23 am I'm fairly certain everything living on Skull Island also lives in the hollow earth. One of the characters mentions in the beginning that Skull Island was the hollow earth that came onto earth's surface.

Sker buffalos live!
I hope we can see some giant Triceratops down there.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:44 pm It's during the opening credits, at least. There's a shot of a cave painting with Godzilla, Kong, Mothra, and a Skullcrawler.
Y’know...with the implication of Mothra fighting alongside Goji against one of Kong’s species...I wonder what would happen if Mothra met Kong. Friendly? Neutral? Aggressive?

Gaaaah, thinking about it makes me want that big ‘ol DAM endgame crossover event even more now
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:21 pm
Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:44 pm It's during the opening credits, at least. There's a shot of a cave painting with Godzilla, Kong, Mothra, and a Skullcrawler.
Y’know...with the implication of Mothra fighting alongside Goji against one of Kong’s species...I wonder what would happen if Mothra met Kong. Friendly? Neutral? Aggressive?

Gaaaah, thinking about it makes me want that big ‘ol DAM endgame crossover event even more now
I really doubt Kong would look at Mothra and think “That’s a threat!”. If anything, I would imagine Kong admire the beauty

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Hokmuto wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:08 pm
Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:43 am - It's Nathan's brother as in the movie and so far from skimming I see no evidence of him being down a dark path hanging out in dive bars.
We do have an image of him in a bar with Ren. And I assume Skarsgard is probably a dark path mentally since his brothers expedition seemingly unleashed Camazotz, at least according to the novelization which caused that massive storm (it was both Ghidorah and Camazotz that caused the storm on Skull Island but mainly Camazotz). I assume he probably feels guilty for his brother dying and their expedition screwing up things more. So maybe that specific portion is real after all
Okay, maybe! I wonder how late in production that was changed? I've skimmed through a lot of the first few chapters, but so far there isn't a scene like that...the only scene I've been able to find so far with both Nathan and Ren is the same scene from the movie where Simmons and Ren visit him at his office.

There IS a scene, though, of Nathan having drinks with his brother right before the doomed expedition...

Gamera2021
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gamera2021 »

Zasraniec wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm While I am a big fan of the current design I like that one even more. It is MechaGODZILLA after all he should resemble Godzilla a lot.
That was an outstanding design.

I remember seeing a bunch of early designs for Godzilla for the 14 film and there was one absolutely perfect one that had pretty close to the body used now but had a more normal, bigger sized head/snout.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Last edited by GFAN198423 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:48 pm Got the trades and decided to start with Kingdom Kong first.
Spoiler:
Brooks is in it and always happy to see a past character come back. Most importantly we get to see an Icarus Tiger or Spirit Tiger here. Easily killed by bigger Kong but yeah expected.
But yeah pretty good so far.
Houston or Aaron. I'm more interested in his son, Aaron.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh I'm afraid I meant Houston. Haven't heard a mention of Aaron yet but I've only read about a 1/4 so far.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

GFAN198423 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:55 pm Image
Mechagodzilla is getting the best posters, wow
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gamera2021
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gamera2021 »

Saw the film on Tuesday with 2 friends and my mom. Everyone thought it was better than expected. Everyone thought the music stunk. Everyone loved the fights. Everyone thought Godzilla's head is just too small for that body design. Everyone loved the Kong story and hated the Godzilla story. Everyone thought the ending was too abrupt and the end credits screamed out for some interesting clips/graphics/info.

I was amazed that Kong literally would have been killed immediately in the first battle without the humans help.

I'm not as big a fan of Ren as some, but eliminating the ridiculous Team Godzilla silliness and expanding his story would have made this a much better film. I don't think many in the audience had any clue who he even was.

Put some Ifukube music over the Pensacola attack and the final Hong Kong battle and it would have been thrilling. It was really good even with the Junkie music that nobody remembers.

IMO, if you combined Dougherty's respect for Godzilla/Kaiju fans and Wingard's skill in presenting battle scenes, you could have a heck of a movie.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I would be shocked if non Godzilla fans recognized Ifukube's music the way Gamera2021 implies.

My family has watched all the Godzilla films and only Mothra's theme and the intro of the Godzilla march stuck out to them.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:20 pm My family has watched all the Godzilla films and only Mothra's theme and the intro of the Godzilla march stuck out to them.
So...the only two Ifukube themes that are, well, actually good?

/sarcasm
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:20 pm I would be shocked if non Godzilla fans recognized Ifukube's music the way Gamera2021 implies.

My family has watched all the Godzilla films and only Mothra's theme and the intro of the Godzilla march stuck out to them.
I don't think they do/would.

Hell I barely could tell since its different than the original.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

They're really struggling to find a true identity for this series. That comes with consistency, and there is no consistency here. Edwards and Desplat created an entirely new soundtrack, which I believe was pretty memorable. Dougherty and McCreary used the classic Ifukube tracks in 2019, but then Wingard and Holkenborg felt like Godzilla needed a new, original theme. Watch the next guys inevitably come along and change the theme, and just like that, nothing is established. Three movies in, and nothing is solid. They could have easily used the 2014 main theme or something for Godzilla's theme.
Gamera2021 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:10 pm IMO, if you combined Dougherty's respect for Godzilla/Kaiju fans and Wingard's skill in presenting battle scenes, you could have a heck of a movie.
In my opinion, nobody has gotten it right just yet. The writing in GKOTM, especially for dialog, was simply terrible, and the plot for GvK doesn't make much sense. I felt that Dougherty was more disrespectful than anything with jokes like "gonorrhea" and "Big bird's cries," the entirety of Dr. Stanton and Sam Coleman as characters, and so on.
There was a bit of squash and stretch, or bouncy, rubbery animation in GvK, exaggerated movements, etc. It looks cartoony compared to previous movies. The battle scenes are choreographed/storyboarded very well, but the visual execution of it is less satisfying than Godzilla 2014 or Kong: Skull Island. They just don't feel sufficiently heavy or alive in this movie at times. Maybe that's just me, again.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:20 pm They're really struggling to find a true identity for this series. That comes with consistency, and there is no here
Contrast the tones, music, plot etc... Godzilla 1954, to Ghidorah the Three Head Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

Part of the reason why many of the Godzilla films are super rewatchable is how different they are and can satisfy different itches depending on what you want to do. I agree with the points made, but I don’t see “consistency as a bad thing”. I sort of realized that you can watch any entry of the Monsterverse independently and not lose or miss too much.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Jesus fucking Christ did you guys listen to the same soundtrack I did? This is easily the best work since G2014. Which is the only soundtrack I actively remember.

It's, and I'm probably gonna start something, but giving me a pacific rim vibe every time the chords start. You know, the weight awe and size of kaiju in motion. The spectacle of the battle.

No one remembers the theme playing when MechaGodzilla first appeared? Easily an Imperial March level theme.

When Godzilla first attacks Kong, snapping underwater? That track made my heart jump. You feel the intensity. Maybe it just needs time to settle.

Personally I'm hoping they continue this theme
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Kentmick
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kentmick »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:20 pm They're really struggling to find a true identity for this series. That comes with consistency, and there is no here
Contrast the tones, music, plot etc... Godzilla 1954, to Ghidorah the Three Head Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

Part of the reason why many of the Godzilla films are super rewatchable is how different they are and can satisfy different itches depending on what you want to do. I agree with the points made, but I don’t see “consistency as a bad thing”. I sort of realized that you can watch any entry of the Monsterverse independently and not lose or miss too much.
Agreed, Showa is all over the place and better for it.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Kentmick wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:22 pm
Agreed, Showa is all over the place and better for it.
Well the entire series is. Godzilla has never really had a concrete arc or build up. It's kinda just monster of the week and every now and then there's a "big event" (GvK, DAM, Destroyah, Final Wars, and now GvK again)
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:21 pm Jesus skreeonking Christ did you guys listen to the same soundtrack I did? This is easily the best work since G2014. Which is the only soundtrack I actively remember.

It's, and I'm probably gonna start something, but giving me a pacific rim vibe every time the chords start. You know, the weight awe and size of kaiju in motion. The spectacle of the battle.

No one remembers the theme playing when MechaGodzilla first appeared? Easily an Imperial March level theme.

When Godzilla first attacks Kong, snapping underwater? That track made my heart jump. You feel the intensity. Maybe it just needs time to settle.

I think the themes themselves are pretty decent, but when you hear them incorporated into the actual movie, it's amazing. The scene with Kong ripping to shreds MechaG got me so hyped not just by the spectacle but by the music that accompanied it. It was awesome
Long Live The King

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Hokmuto wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:31 pm
ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:21 pm Jesus skreeonking Christ did you guys listen to the same soundtrack I did? This is easily the best work since G2014. Which is the only soundtrack I actively remember.

I think the themes themselves are pretty decent, but when you hear them incorporated into the actual movie, it's amazing. The scene with Kong ripping to shreds MechaG got me so hyped not just by the spectacle but by the music that accompanied it. It was awesome
I love the section of Kong saving Godzilla from MechaGodzilla. I'm a huge sucker for really heroic music like that.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*