Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by MorgolKing »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm
Moogabunga wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:32 am
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:41 am

Nah, Gareth Edwards is more like the MonsterVerse's Zack Snyder. He made the 2014 Godzilla movie have a dark, horror-like tone and atmosphere. There was no humor, no jokes made for a cheap laugh, just seriousness from beginning to end with the use of dark coloring in almost every scene. That is something Snyder would have done.
That awkward moment when Godzilla (2014) is still the best overall movie in the Monsterverse...
It is. It's the only one that I can actually sit through these days and not feel like some stupid joke(s), music choice(s), or cinematography just breaks the thing.
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 am Don't know why people think humor is needed in a film lmao.
I've been thinking the same thing for the longest time. Why do we need so many jokes in these movies? I was not going into the 2014 film looking for a comedy.

Kong: Skull Island went a bit off with some of them, but it was more tolerable than what would follow. I don't think the humor is necessary.
UndineUndying wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 pm The problem with G14 (for me) has always been the sense that Edwards and co. were more invested in the MUTO's journey (and replicating Godzilla '54's Monster delay), than Godzilla or any of the human characters who were meant to be his foils.
That would likely be because Godzilla isn't the threat of the movie by any means, but the MUTOs are. Look at other Godzilla films, and you see this happening as well to varying degrees. Godzilla is much more mysterious too, and I think that adds to the movie.
I don't think the human characters were that bad, either. It's only that Bryan Cranston's character died, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson was very lacking in his line delivery. The energy of the movie declines without Joe Brody, or the father and son dynamic. Sequels could have learned from the reception that G2014 got, but they didn't really. The serious tone wasn't the problem, but the characters and cutaways before the finale were.
UndineUndying wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 pm I feel like that's why think Dougherty, and by extension Jordan Vogt-Roberts, were hired. I think KSI and KOTM found a better balance between human/monster, even if the director's haven't exactly found a proper balance for other their strengths (comedy/humor, horror, and animation) within the MonsterVerse.
Jordan Vogt-Roberts had it put together better, but Dougherty didn't. Dougherty, in my personal opinion, gets far too much praise for GKOTM. It's easily the weakest of the MonsterVerse in nearly everything it attempts to do. The writing of the story, the color filters, the dialog, the numerous juvenile jokes (most pull you straight out of the movie, and disrespect the monsters in some way), the comic book/cartoon feel to it, the scope (it feels so lifeless and small, and yet travels all around the world): all of it just fails to create a satisfying film to me. It's more annoying and insulting than anything. I'd take boring characters over irritating characters any day.
I really wish the studio was smart and realized that the huge opening weekend for Godzilla 2014 meant the audience wanted something serious and a disaster movie...just with more Godzilla and Bryan Cranston.

I'd love to see Gareth Edward's direct another Godzilla movie with a big budget. I regret he didnt do the sequel...he said he wanted to attempt a monster island with a realistic take.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:29 pm I love how the people who insisted Godzilla and Kong are equals dropped off the face of the planet after the movie released lol
as have many of the people who were ready to hate this movie before it came out.

looking at you, Gamera2021 Italian G Fan
Last edited by ClandestineCanine9 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:29 pm I love how the people who insisted Godzilla and Kong are equals dropped off the face of the planet after the movie released lol
as have many of the people who were ready to hate this movie before it came out.

looking at you, Gamera2021 Italian G Fan
It's almost as if people's opinions can change. What a big revelation :roll:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Bro why people gotta be toxic? People can change opinion, no need to harass them.
For Emperor and Empire!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:49 pm
obZen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:34 pm Don’t really mean to detail the topic here but has anyone else heard about some drama that disgruntled Kong fans are boycotting the film/director because of the way Kong was handled as well as the interview in which Wingard basically states Godzilla beat Kong at half-strength?

I cannot believe this is a thing.
What? Proof? I need to see this for myself
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... n/guogyt7/

Added in 2 minutes 14 seconds:
Kong fans are down fucking BAD and I love it
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Lmaooo, this movie does prove Kong and Godzilla are equals in terms of Alpha Status. But not strength. At no point did Kong actually stop fighting and bow like the other kaiju.

Tired of people trying to make it seem like Kong was a bitch in the film. You guys never had to fight someone who clearly could kick your ass but you chose not to back down?

This is that situation. Godzilla does his alpha frequency directly onto Kong while standing on his chest after beating his ass and what does Kong do? Not submit that's for sure.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:11 pm Lmaooo, this movie does prove Kong and Godzilla are equals in terms of Alpha Status. But not strength. At no point did Kong actually stop fighting and bow like the other kaiju.

Tired of people trying to make it seem like Kong was a female dog in the film. You guys never had to fight someone who clearly could kick your ass but you chose not to back down?

This is that situation. Godzilla does his alpha frequency directly onto Kong while standing on his chest after beating his ass and what does Kong do? Not submit that's for sure.
Kong is hard headed that is all. Refusing to bow is highly impressive but I don't think bowing makes Rodan any less of an Alpha for example. I still get goosebumps at that last roar off between the two.

Also anyone seen this?

https://twitter.com/TheTohoSociety/stat ... 62273?s=20
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I cannot gush enough over how we'll done the CG was for this film.

That said, G2014's track holds up surprisingly well for this tone of battle. Then again it was made to suit Godzilla. Changes the tone of the battle honestly, can't exactly put it to words. But it feels more G centric with this track.

---on an unrelated topic--

Someone just put the issue of kaiju moving speed into perspective for me. And I'm honestly okay with whatever way they move now.

Now consider when Godzilla's lumbering and moving slowly as it from our perspective. But whenever he's moving faster its from another kaiju's perspective. He looks slow to us because we're tiny. Every step is massive to us but only a regular step to him. Think about it how ants probably see us.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:49 pm
obZen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:34 pm Don’t really mean to detail the topic here but has anyone else heard about some drama that disgruntled Kong fans are boycotting the film/director because of the way Kong was handled as well as the interview in which Wingard basically states Godzilla beat Kong at half-strength?

I cannot believe this is a thing.
What? Proof? I need to see this for myself
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... n/guogyt7/

Added in 2 minutes 14 seconds:
Kong fans are down skreeonking BAD and I love it
That appears to be one solitary kong fan
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

That single person def doesn't speak for us all

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Wingard never actually said like "Godzilla beat Kong in half-strength."

Where are those "50% Godzilla" or "half-strength" rumors coming from?

They are angry at something that didn't even happen.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 pm Someone just put the issue of kaiju moving speed into perspective for me. And I'm honestly okay with whatever way they move now.

Now consider when Godzilla's lumbering and moving slowly as it from our perspective. But whenever he's moving faster its from another kaiju's perspective. He looks slow to us because we're tiny. Every step is massive to us but only a regular step to him. Think about it how ants probably see us.
That...actually makes a lot of sense. I never had any problem with the speed of the kaiju in GvK compared to G14 but putting it this way makes it seem more than just an artistic choice lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 pm I cannot gush enough over how we'll done the CG was for this film.

That said, G2014's track holds up surprisingly well for this tone of battle. Then again it was made to suit Godzilla. Changes the tone of the battle honestly, can't exactly put it to words. But it feels more G centric with this track.

---on an unrelated topic--

Someone just put the issue of kaiju moving speed into perspective for me. And I'm honestly okay with whatever way they move now.

Interesting perspective on the matter! Definitely a neat POV, didn't even think of how the perception might differ depending on the character in focus. Frankly I have zero issues with how either kaiju moved in the film, imo the more dynamic the movements are the more exciting and interesting the fights are- but this is still a cool way of looking at it beyond just the director's choice.

And for real, if there is one aspect that the movie knocked out of the park is the CGI. With each rewatch I can't help but marvel at the sheer amount of detail that went into it. That brief shot of Godzilla changing direction upon sensing MG is particularly impressive.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Did anyone notice kong tried putting a bear hug on Godzilla and tried biting his gills in the first fight?
Last edited by Showzilla on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 am Did anyone notice kong tried putting a bear hug on Godzilla and tried biting his gills in the first fight?
Noticed that too. It appeared like he was attempting to grapple and choke the hell out of him but immediately swam away when he realized it didn't work well.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 am
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 am Did anyone notice kong tried putting a bear hug on Godzilla and tried biting his gills in the first fight?
Noticed that too. It appeared like he was attempting to grapple and choke the hell out of him but immediately swam away when he realized it didn't work well.
He didn't try to, Godzilla put one hand on his chest and pushed him off hard enough that kong's arms butterflied and he hit that carrier.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:16 am
He didn't try to, Godzilla put one hand on his chest and pushed him off hard enough that kong's arms butterflied and he hit that carrier.
Rewatched the scene and you are correct, didn't notice the push at first. And it's a pretty substantial one too, damn. Ngl it's cool to see Kong fight his best in an environment where he is severely outmatched.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 am
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:16 am

Rewatched the scene and you are correct, didn't notice the push at first. And it's a pretty substantial one too, damn. Ngl it's cool to see Kong fight his best in an environment where he is severely outmatched.
Yeah, he's flexibly af. It's like watching Rey Mysterio fight Goldberg.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/ja ... Rc.twitter

Nice interview with the guy who designed GVK Mechagodzilla.
I KNEW he had saws on his claws!! I pointed it out ages ago when that shirt leaked, and none of you paid any notice! :D

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 am https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/ja ... Rc.twitter

Nice interview with the guy who designed GVK Mechagodzilla.
I KNEW he had saws on his claws!! I pointed it out ages ago when that shirt leaked, and none of you paid any notice! :D
Godzillamovies.com finally wrote something useful exclusive article for the first time in their history .
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.