Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Jermobooka »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:35 am Hedorah and Biollante having an increasing East Coast West Coast war, with an inevitable meeting in the center of the states, and Godzilla directly in the middle of an environmental catastrophe.

Is what I said a month ago and what I'll keep saying bc the themes there are dangerously necessary these days.
I wonder how a fight between Hedo and Bio would go. Hell, i wonder how Hedo and Bio would even be like in the MV lol

Added in 15 minutes 14 seconds:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:14 pm
The Shinomura and Gigan ideas are things I've been thinking about, especially Shinomura. I feel like they're overplaying the "ancient rival" stuff. It's like literally everything is some kind of ancient rival to Godzilla for whatever reason, and it's getting old. Instead of making a new rival monster, use one from the comics? One with similar origins to another?

Only Kong was really an “ancient rival”. Shinomura was a random thing, MUTO’s were Godzilla parasites, Ghidorah was an unnatural, malicious devil that threatened to upturn the world and disrupt balance, which made him Godzilla’s rival, and then Kong/Titanus Kong were the natural rivals of Godzilla/Titanus Gojira
I thought the way Kong killed the Nozuki/Warbat was a bit of a reference to how King Kong killed the cave serpent/plesiosaur in the original 1933 film. The fight is sort of similar. The serpent/plesiosaur constricts and attempts to squeeze Kong, Kong breaks free, and kills the giant serpent by smashing it into the ground a few times. GvK is more dramatic at the end of the fight, but less of a struggle in the beginning and middle.
Hell, the Warbat fight could be triple layered reference instead of just one, who knows
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

So many people all across the internet have brought it up, and now I really want to see Kong battle Megalon in the Hollow Earth. They could be fighting for the title of "King of the Hollow Earth" or something. Maybe Megalon has sort of declared himself that after thousands of years of inactivity from the other Titans and now Kong is the first Titan to threaten his title. Megalon always struck me as being sort of arrogant and I think that characterization would suit him well. Plus, he's one of Godzilla's less powerful foes, so it would be a bit more fair for Kong to fight him.
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

KaijuShill17 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:44 pm Plus, he's one of Godzilla's less powerful foes, so it would be a bit more fair for Kong to fight him.
Are we remembering the same bug? The one that fires a lightning-like beam from his horn and spits out napalm bombs at a rapid pace?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

NSZ wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:53 pm
KaijuShill17 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:44 pm Plus, he's one of Godzilla's less powerful foes, so it would be a bit more fair for Kong to fight him.
Are we remembering the same bug? The one that fires a lightning-like beam from his horn and spits out napalm bombs at a rapid pace?
Ah, I forgot about those. That would be definitely be disadvantageous for Kong, axe or not.

Regardless though, he never seemed, to me at least, like he was a monster Godzilla necessarily struggled with. Gigan and Megalon teaming up was what made the fight difficult. Megalon on his own isn't among the most intelligent or powerful of Godzilla's adversaries. But I guess what's minor for Godzilla would be a bigger issue for Kong. The bombs and the lightning would be hard for him to deal with. Maybe it isn't a particularly fair fight :lol:

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

>hedorah
>climate change themes

I could dig it but we won't get nuances and they wouldn't dare talk shit about China

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Hedorah fits the metaphor of pollution and that's what the theme should be if he's ever used.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hedorah would be great. I too love that there is a three way match between Hedorah, Godzilla and Biollante.

Fifth time watching GvK at the theater today. Anyone else notice the pilot that takes off after Kong jumps onto the aircraft carrier has the call sign 'Hirata' on his helmet?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:35 pm Hedorah would be great. I too love that there is a three way match between Hedorah, Godzilla and Biollante.
I like that idea. Biollante and Hedorah could represent as complete opposites one positive and the other negative. Biollante being a metaphor of the environment and Hedorah as mentioned pollution. Be cool to see Godzilla eventually team up with her to fight Hedorah.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I’m alright with Kong Vs Megalon but only if it’s a early/mid-film showdown. In other words Megalon can’t be the big bad (and no way in hell should he be) but more so, he should be a ‘fodder villain’ who’s story arc is probably more so relevant because his role in essence brings in the Seatopian dynamic into relevance which could in turn lead to other more powerful villains at a later point. That way it kind of ups the stakes and effectively demonstrates Kong’s power as an alpha but also suggests there are far more powerful foes to come.

If Legendary has it in them to introduce a freaking rad original MonsterVerse villain to square off with Kong (one whose story arc coincides with a future Godzilla opponent perhaps), I would be okay with that too.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Another opponent for Kong in his sequel could also be Baragon given like Megalon his subterranean nature.

I like the idea of a scene where a skullcrawler is about to pounce on the human characters but is suddenly grabbed and the camera slowly zooms up to show Baragon with it in his mouth. I like the idea of him being a predator to skullcrawlers and an apex predator in the hollow earth ecosystem.
obZen wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:17 pm I’m alright with Kong Vs Megalon but only if it’s a early/mid-film showdown. In other words Megalon can’t be the big bad (and no way in hell should he be) but more so, he should be a ‘fodder villain’ who’s story arc is probably more so relevant because his role in essence brings in the Seatopian dynamic into relevance which could in turn lead to other more powerful villains at a later point. That way it kind of ups the stakes and effectively demonstrates Kong’s power as an alpha but also suggests there are far more powerful foes to come.

If Legendary has it in them to introduce a freaking rad original MonsterVerse villain to square off with Kong (one whose story arc coincides with a future Godzilla opponent perhaps), I would be okay with that too.
Given his subterranean nature too like Megalon. I feel Baragon would fit more as the fodder type. Good way to have him and Megalon both in the film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

Ok so in the film, Walter Simmons implied that Mechagodzilla had been in development for around 10 years and that he got the idea to build it after Godzilla first made himself known to the public. Alright, but what exactly was Walter's thought process back then? I can just picture him in 2014, sitting on the couch, watching the morning news, sipping his coffee, viewing the footage of Godzilla roaring and going back to the sea, and thinking, "hm, interesting. It appears humanity is no longer the dominant species. Now that thing runs the show. I should build a giant robot doppelganger to punch it. That'd be pretty rad lmao."
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

KaijuShill17 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:46 pm Ok so in the film, Walter Simmons implied that Mechagodzilla had been in development for around 10 years and that he got the idea to build it after Godzilla first made himself known to the public. Alright, but what exactly was Walter's thought process back then? I can just picture him in 2014, sitting on the couch, watching the morning news, sipping his coffee, viewing the footage of Godzilla roaring and going back to the sea, and thinking, "hm, interesting. It appears humanity is no longer the dominant species. Now that thing runs the show. I should build a giant robot doppelganger to punch it. That'd be pretty rad lmao."

Pfft, pretty much :lol:

He's basically an egomaniac who couldn't handle himself not being the biggest thing ever. He'd been the big fish in the pond, but now he just realized there was a whole ocean out there. It's another humanism critique which isn't all that uncommon for the MV especially. Simmons wanted to present himself as the champion of humanity, when in reality the reason he wanted to surpass the titans was out of ego and then bask in the reverence he'd get afterwards. But the construction of this version of MechaG subverts all of this. Sure he built it, but he required the parts of a dead titan he thought he could control to operate it and then without the Hollow Earth energy he basically made a glorified glass cannon which could only fire once and would get torn to shreds in any serious fight. In the end, MechaG's accomplishments in the finale were more to do with Ghidorah than Simmons; subverting even any claim he made a machine to match and surpass the "gods".

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Desghidorah wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 pm
KaijuShill17 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:46 pm Ok so in the film, Walter Simmons implied that Mechagodzilla had been in development for around 10 years and that he got the idea to build it after Godzilla first made himself known to the public. Alright, but what exactly was Walter's thought process back then? I can just picture him in 2014, sitting on the couch, watching the morning news, sipping his coffee, viewing the footage of Godzilla roaring and going back to the sea, and thinking, "hm, interesting. It appears humanity is no longer the dominant species. Now that thing runs the show. I should build a giant robot doppelganger to punch it. That'd be pretty rad lmao."

He's basically an egomaniac who couldn't handle himself not being the biggest thing ever. He'd been the big fish in the pond, but now he just realized there was a whole ocean out there. It's another humanism critique which isn't all that uncommon for the MV especially. Simmons wanted to present himself as the champion of humanity, when in reality the reason he wanted to surpass the titans was out of ego and then bask in the reverence he'd get afterwards. But the construction of this version of MechaG subverts all of this. Sure he built it, but he required the parts of a dead titan he thought he could control to operate it and then without the Hollow Earth energy he basically made a glorified glass cannon which could only fire once and would get torn to shreds in any serious fight. In the end, MechaG's accomplishments in the finale were more to do with Ghidorah than Simmons; subverting even any claim he made a machine to match and surpass the "gods".

Lmaoo, I kinda feel like the idea went through a few phases before he decided to model the mech after Godzilla and make the kaiju. If this is true. It would make sense.

Godzilla's intentions and durability were unknown in 2014. As far as we knew he was unstoppable. Then he disappears and nothing can be done. This is prior to the discovery of the HE mind you. So no one knows where he's hiding.

Next comes KOTM. And we have Godzilla exposed as vunerable by not only Ghidorah but humanity(ala Oxygen Destroyer). Im assuming this is where Walter and Ren both get their inspiration to finally take action.

It's reasonable to assume the with that 5 year gap Walter recruited Ren and together they made the final touches to the plan. Making MechGodzilla a G clone not simply for irony but in intention to have other kaiju immediately fall in line. It's clear they respond not only vocally but visually to Godzilla.

Bring in the Orca which is another kaiju controlling technology peice and I can see a myriad of reasons why Simmons thought "fuck it, maybe I can take the G man". And I say good one him, took some balls.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Well Biollante for one needs to be far bigger, more like a whole area instead of a straight monster. Imagine she takes over a city, her “core” is a beastial monster like before but her tendrils flow through the city and her “rose form” numbers a few and also pop up throughout, emitting deadly spores that not only takes over people but, when bonding to say, a building, breaks it down in the subatomic level and creates more Biollante.

Hedorah needs a drastic redesign and should be horrifying... I don’t know where to go with it tbh but perhaps it can extend itself kinds of like a Venom type symbiote, melting and corrupting whatever it touches.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:56 pm
Desghidorah wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 pm

Lmaoo, I kinda feel like the idea went through a few phases before he decided to model the mech after Godzilla and make the kaiju. If this is true. It would make sense.

Godzilla's intentions and durability were unknown in 2014. As far as we knew he was unstoppable. Then he disappears and nothing can be done. This is prior to the discovery of the HE mind you. So no one knows where he's hiding.

Next comes KOTM. And we have Godzilla exposed as vunerable by not only Ghidorah but humanity(ala Oxygen Destroyer). Im assuming this is where Walter and Ren both get their inspiration to finally take action.

It's reasonable to assume the with that 5 year gap Walter recruited Ren and together they made the final touches to the plan. Making MechGodzilla a G clone not simply for irony but in intention to have other kaiju immediately fall in line. It's clear they respond not only vocally but visually to Godzilla.

Bring in the Orca which is another kaiju controlling technology peice and I can see a myriad of reasons why Simmons thought "fuck it, maybe I can take the G man". And I say good one him, took some balls.
Wow...never realized any of this. His motivations actually make sense now :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

When Godzilla stomped on Kong’s chest, there were several crunching sounds. Were those supposed to be bones breaking?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

LockBite wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:16 am When Godzilla stomped on Kong’s chest, there were several crunching sounds. Were those supposed to be bones breaking?
I think that’s the implication since, well, y’know, Kong fucking died lmao

Now, i’d like to bring attention to this fugly MG concept art

I am ever so glad we got the fantastic MG design in the film over any of these horrendous...things in the concept art
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:26 am
LockBite wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:16 am When Godzilla stomped on Kong’s chest, there were several crunching sounds. Were those supposed to be bones breaking?
I think that’s the implication since, well, y’know, Kong skreeonking died lmao

Now, i’d like to bring attention to this fugly MG concept art

I am ever so glad we got the fantastic MG design in the film over any of these horrendous...things.
Oh jeez that looks...awful lmao. Atleast the other Godzilla-esque design looked like an actual weapon. Makes me even further glad we got what we got :lol:

Regarding Walter's motivations, pretty much figured that he only did it because he could. A typical rich asshole with too much time on his hands combined with the existence of giant monsters and a basic idea is the recipe for disaster.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:26 am Now, i’d like to bring attention to this fugly MG concept art

I am ever so glad we got the fantastic MG design in the film over any of these horrendous...things in the concept art
Wow, that's actually trash. I hate to say it because actual work was put into that, but it couldn't have been seriously considered for the movie. There's no way.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol: