Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by _JNavs_ »

Humor is the absolute laziest way of giving a character "personality and charisma".
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm something something humor...something something realism
https://youtu.be/t4PE9k25TEY
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Synder would have way more fun with Ghidorah than Rodan.

Added in 1 minute 52 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:19 pm Humor is the absolute laziest way of giving a character "personality and charisma".
No Dark and brooding is.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:54 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pmI've been thinking the same thing for the longest time. Why do we need so many jokes in these movies? I was not going into the 2014 film looking for a comedy.

Kong: Skull Island went a bit off with some of them, but it was more tolerable than what would follow. I don't think the humor is necessary.
Because obviously as the Dark Universe and later DCEU did they're trying to copy off the MCU being the hit it was so it was thought humor = more money. Humor also gives more personality and charisma for that matter too. Take Hank Marlowe notably, I'll gladly take him over Ford any day. Hell I'll take him over anyone for that matter, he was the most boring human character in the MonsterVerse. I recall the writers and producers of G14 even regretted killing Joe Brody off who should have been the lead instead and killed Ford off instead. No one would have missed him.

I think by doing that, this would have more emotion to it with Joe realizing his obsession finding the truth lead to his sons death and so he becomes more determined in stopping the MUTOS, also imagine him having to break the news to his daughter-in-law and grandson over the death of Ford? That would be heart-wrenching.

For the most part while humor isn't needed in every movie, I understand why those might add it as it puts more realism to movies if you get where I'm getting at. It's just gotta be done right if they add it or in this case levity.

Added in 3 minutes 54 seconds:
If anyone should direct a solo Rodan film it's Jordan-Vogt Roberts especially in Top Gun style.
They surely thought wrong. It clearly doesn't give characters more personality and charisma, especially when several characters are given similar kinds of jokes. It's far better when a character's mannerisms, intonation, and body language are used to convey their personality. The way they handle issues is definitely important as well. The comedy and jokes feel like an extremely lazy way to do it. Dr. Stanton, Coleman, and Mark Russell (on some occasions) are examples of how it can go entirely wrong. These characters seemed to have something insufferably stupid to say at any given moment or situation, and they're all very similar with their juvenile jokes. Ilene Chen with the "that bitch" line was funny and gave her character, all without being a joke at all.

Hank Marlow was a good character, but even some of the humor for him lingered longer than it needed to. The "because it sounds neat" line and following lines come to mind. It sort of felt like they all broke character for a moment for that Skull Crawler bit.

Neither Joe or Ford should have been killed off. The movie would have benefited from a father and son story. Both characters coming to understand each other, uniting the family that was broken apart in the beginning of the movie through the situation with the monsters. Ford's story was so weak because not enough was established between him and his father, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson's performance was lacking. Killing Ford would have been a bad decision, because the movie was most interesting when Ford and Joe were interacting and looking out for each other. Ford breaking away from his avoidant ways of handling his mother's death and his father's fixation could have been so much stronger with a realization that the tragedy wasn't as straightforward as it appeared to be, realizing that his father was right all along (uniting and fixing their broken family), and working with his father to protect his own family. It's not always about what would be heart-wrenching.
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:28 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm something something humor...something something realism
https://youtu.be/t4PE9k25TEY
I mentioned absolutely nothing about realism in anything that I said. You're getting kinda ridiculous with this stuff.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pmNeither Joe or Ford should have been killed off. The movie would have benefited from a father and son story. Both characters coming to understand each other, uniting the family that was broken apart in the beginning of the movie through the situation with the monsters. Ford's story was so weak because not enough was established between him and his father, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson's performance was lacking. Killing Ford would have been a bad decision, because the movie was most interesting when Ford and Joe were interacting and looking out for each other. Ford breaking away from his avoidant ways of handling his mother's death and his father's fixation could have been so much stronger with a realization that the tragedy wasn't as straightforward as it appeared to be, realizing that his father was right all along (uniting and fixing their broken family), and working with his father to protect his own family. It's not always about what would be heart-wrenching.
Works too, can't disagree here. I would have been fine with this as well.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:34 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:19 pm Humor is the absolute laziest way of giving a character "personality and charisma".
No Dark and brooding is.
It takes nuance, careful precision, and emotional turmoil to nail down dark and brooding.

You just need to have your timing right to have the *humor guy* of a movie.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:42 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:34 pm
No Dark and brooding is.
It takes nuance, careful precision, and emotional turmoil to nail down dark and brooding.

You just need to have your timing right to have the *humor guy* of a movie.
The humor guy has to have well thought out jokes and nail them on time in order to be funny. You get the right guy and everyone can stand around with a mad at the world expression.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm I mentioned absolutely nothing about realism in anything that I said. You're getting kinda ridiculous with this stuff.
Well that’s where you’re wrong, my dear friend. Realism fuels you. It drives you. It has overtaken your every cell, the entirety of your being, and has become you. You are realism.

why else would you obsess over the physics of giant monsters lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Don’t really mean to detail the topic here but has anyone else heard about some drama that disgruntled Kong fans are boycotting the film/director because of the way Kong was handled as well as the interview in which Wingard basically states Godzilla beat Kong at half-strength?

I cannot believe this is a thing.
Last edited by obZen on Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:30 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm I mentioned absolutely nothing about realism in anything that I said. You're getting kinda ridiculous with this stuff.
Well that’s where you’re wrong, my dear friend. Realism fuels you. It drives you. It has overtaken your every cell, the entirety of your being, and has become you. You are realism.

Not to sound rude, but you glossing over anything MES666 says yet making a point of calling it out the "realism", even when it's not there, is getting pretty annoying tbh...
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

obZen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:34 pm Don’t really mean to detail the topic here but has anyone else heard about some drama that disgruntled Kong fans are boycotting the film/director because of the way Kong was handled as well as the interview in which Wingard basically states Godzilla beat Kong at half-strength?

What? Proof? I need to see this for myself

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:36 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:30 pm

Not to sound rude, but you glossing over anything MES666 says yet making a point of calling it out the "realism", even when it's not there, is getting pretty annoying tbh...
Fine, fine, i concede

—FOR NOW!

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

obZen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:34 pm Don’t really mean to detail the topic here but has anyone else heard about some drama that disgruntled Kong fans are boycotting the film/director because of the way Kong was handled as well as the interview in which Wingard basically states Godzilla beat Kong at half-strength?

Oh my god, that’s fucking hilarious. Like? Grown ass adults? That’s.... Wonderfully comical. Thanks. I needed a laugh.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hey I'm a Kong fan and I'm okay with Kong losing. He got the character arc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Wingard never said Godzilla won at half strength, he said Kong and the HE breath depleted Godzilla for MechaGodzilla. And good luck boycotting a movie that had already made bank.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I bet Godzilla's HE breathe attack could have beaten MG's Sonic Scream in the clash. But could it one shot or at least severely damage King Ghidorah?
Maybe this is one way for Godzilla and Kong to defeat a future big bad? Kong puts an axe in a Hollow Earth slot then has to fight and distract the big bad long enough for Godzilla to blast much of the big bad. Either that's it or there is one last struggle two to one.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:10 pm I bet Godzilla's HE breathe attack could have beaten MG's Sonic Scream in the clash. But could it one shot or at least severely damage King Ghidorah?
Maybe this is one way for Godzilla and Kong to defeat a future big bad? Kong puts an axe in a Hollow Earth slot then has to fight and distract the big bad long enough for Godzilla to blast much of the big bad. Either that's it or there is one last struggle two to one.
MVs Ghidorah’s durability is actually really interesting, because I remember reading canon details about how he uses ductile metallic coating stored in his signature golden scales to essentially REFRACT, absorb, and dispel energy-attacks instead of just tanking them with raw durability.

I suppose it would depend on how much his scales could hold up to, but my gut tells me that ray would maim either Ghidorah or Mecha horrifically. Take them out of the fight if not kill them outright.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I love how the people who insisted Godzilla and Kong are equals dropped off the face of the planet after the movie released lol
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

Sup guys and (gals if there is any) havent been on lately because I have been moving. Saw it in theaters twice and have it on Max. Are the haters still around? Its still gonna flop right? Its still gonna suck ass right? With its trash cgi and all that. I've also been fairly busy with absolutely thrashing MCU and DCEU (I still love both) in fight forums.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:29 pm I love how the people who insisted Godzilla and Kong are equals dropped off the face of the planet after the movie released lol
I was thinking that a couple days ago. What happened to them?

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:05 pmAnd good luck boycotting a movie that had already made bank.

Aww yisss