The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by plasmabeam »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:26 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:00 pmI really do think it would be a laughing stock situation. Kong scratching his ass like a regular gorilla would doesn’t hold a candle to the uber-cheese that is a bipedal turtle with (non-mechanical) jet engine openings at its lower legs and a similar power to Godzilla.
As someone mentioned that could be fixed by instead of jet engines Gamera instead has glowing organs that he uses to communicate to help him fly.

Also we're in the decade where people can apparently accept a talking gun-wielding raccoon and humanoid tree, how is that not anymore absurd than a jet-propelling giant turtle? May I remind you of the TMNT as well? They're popular and that's about turtles that are ninjas and knows ninjutsu trained and raised by a sensei rat.
I dare anyone to propose a gun-wielding raccoon for the MV. Let’s see what the GA and the fan base think.

I’m sorry, but why should we be beholden to including a bipedal turtle with jet engine (or glowing organ etc) legs with Godzilla-esque heat breath? Seriously? In 2021, we can’t possible think of something cooler than that? *face palm*

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:00 pmI really do think it would be a laughing stock situation. Kong scratching his ass like a regular gorilla would doesn’t hold a candle to the uber-cheese that is a bipedal turtle with (non-mechanical) jet engine openings at its lower legs and a similar power to Godzilla.
As someone mentioned that could be fixed by instead of jet engines Gamera instead has glowing organs that he uses to communicate to help him fly.

Also we're in the decade where people can apparently accept a talking gun-wielding raccoon and humanoid tree, how is that not anymore absurd than a jet-propelling giant turtle? May I remind you of the TMNT as well? They're popular and that's about turtles that are ninjas and knows ninjutsu trained and raised by a sensei rat.
I dare anyone to propose a gun-wielding raccoon for the MV. Let’s see what the GA and the fan base think.

I’m sorry, but why should we be beholden to including a bipedal turtle with jet engine (or glowing organ etc) legs with Godzilla-esque heat breath? Seriously? In 2021, we can’t possible think of something cooler than that? *face palm*
Have you seen The Heisei Gamera films. Dude is badass and isn't I'm Godzilla's shadow anymore.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 pm

Have you seen The Heisei Gamera films. Dude is badass and isn't I'm Godzilla's shadow anymore.
I saw clips and it wasn’t for me. Is there a link to a clip that would change my mind? I saw something that looked like a terribly embarrassing muppet/frisbee.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:49 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 pm

I saw clips and it wasn’t for me. Is there a link to a clip that would change my mind? I saw something that looked like a terribly embarrassing muppet/frisbee.
See if you can find the Shibuya fight from Gamera 3.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:49 pm I saw clips and it wasn’t for me. Is there a link to a clip that would change my mind? I saw something that looked like a terribly embarrassing muppet/frisbee.
I'll never understand people who willingly accept the myrid of absurdities in the Godzilla series while claiming that Gamera is too ridiculous for them. Makes zero sense, especially given the quality of the four most recent Gamera films.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

They'll think it's bonkers and will enjoy it. After all, that is basically how the GA summed up GvK which has so many plot holes, the beyond absurd Hollow Earth concept, anti gravity vehicles, a massive biodome surrounding a giant monkey that learned sign language secretly despite being in insane supervision, Godzilla blasting a hole through the hollow earth, stupid psionic links, Mechagodzilla, a mech made using Ghidorah's skull which is a beyond irrational move, telepathic explanations, a hyperloop that was secretly built from Pensacola to HK etc. A giant bipedal turtle flying is the least of our worries. Plus I love Gamera and the Gamera trilogy definitely shows that imo
plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 pm I’m sorry, but why should we be beholden to including a bipedal turtle with jet engine (or glowing organ etc) legs with Godzilla-esque heat breath? Seriously? In 2021, we can’t possible think of something cooler than that? *face palm*
That's pretty cool idea

Added in 1 minute 58 seconds:
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:48 am
plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:49 pm I saw clips and it wasn’t for me. Is there a link to a clip that would change my mind? I saw something that looked like a terribly embarrassing muppet/frisbee.
I'll never understand people who willingly accept the myrid of absurdities in the Godzilla series while claiming that Gamera is too ridiculous for them. Makes zero sense, especially given the quality of the four most recent Gamera films.
Agreed lol. It's the same people who say "Godzilla is the most powerful of all kaiju and can defeat every single one and he can't be defeated or killed"
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

We need more diversity in the Monsterverse so I say if they can bring Gamera in he's a different character from Godzilla and Kong. I'd love to see James Wan tackle him or another Godzilla film.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:48 am
Of course there are a bunch of absurdities in Godzilla lore. Can you name some that are as ridiculous, absurdity against absurdity, between Godzilla and Gamera? Maybe you can change my mind.

Added in 13 minutes 20 seconds:
Hokmuto wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:02 am

They'll think it's bonkers and will enjoy it. After all, that is basically how the GA summed up GvK which has so many plot holes, the beyond absurd Hollow Earth concept, anti gravity vehicles, a massive biodome surrounding a giant monkey that learned sign language secretly despite being in insane supervision, Godzilla blasting a hole through the hollow earth, stupid psionic links, Mechagodzilla, a mech made using Ghidorah's skull which is a beyond irrational move, telepathic explanations, a hyperloop that was secretly built from Pensacola to HK etc. A giant bipedal turtle flying is the least of our worries. Plus I love Gamera and the Gamera trilogy definitely shows that imo
That’s funny, because I find a lot of those things you list as absurd to be extremely cool. Hollow Earth (not really even an MV concept), really cool and a goldmine for the future. MG, really cool. Most of the tech, really cool, albeit often obviously impossible. Absurd plot points aren’t as fatal as absurd characters.

The plot holes are not really comparable as they are writing deficiencies as opposed to thematic absurdities. I’d hope no movie is riddled with plot holes. On top of being silly absurd, Gamera could also be full of plot holes.

When I speak of absurdities, I’m really talking about the characters themselves. The heart of the movies. It’s already difficult enough to get the GA into Godzilla most of the time. I can’t see them getting into bipedal jet turtle with Godzilla breath. But hey, I could be wrong. It could be so bonkers that it embraces insanely campy territory and I’d a huge hit.

Also, I would love if someone could change my mind on this.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 pmI dare anyone to propose a gun-wielding raccoon for the MV. Let’s see what the GA and the fan base think.

You didn't even come up with a good argument. Let me ask again what makes the two I mentioned anymore ridiculous yet popular?

As mentioned if the general audience can accept that or ninjutsu turtles raised by a sensei rat, a flying turtle is no less absurd regardless of the setting. It just has to be done right and well-executed. They can make it work if they put the right mind to it. I definitely can't change your mind dude but the proof is there Gamera fit into the MonsterVerse if he ever gets in.
DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:11 am We need more diversity in the Monsterverse so I say if they can bring Gamera in he's a different character from Godzilla and Kong. I'd love to see James Wan tackle him or another Godzilla film.
I would prefer Guillermo del Toro or Matt Reeves.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Matt Reeves has actually always been my top choice for Godzilla but I think he's gonna be busy with Batman my other favorite fictional character so I don't see him doing it unfortunately, GDT for Gamera totally.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:58 am Matt Reeves has actually always been my top choice for Godzilla but I think he's gonna be busy with Batman my other favorite fictional character so I don't see him doing it unfortunately, GDT for Gamera totally.
I mean depending when supposedly the next MonsterVerse Godzilla movie is (Give it 5 years tops) they could hire him as director for potentially Godzilla 3 which will be long after he's done with The Batman. So far it seems all the directors they've hired have been Godzilla and Kong or kaiju fans in general which Reeves himself is.

I also suggested him for a potential Gamera film because the Heisei Trilogy had the dark tone and emotion as Dawn and War for the Planet of the Apes did.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 am
NBG2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 am Whatever. You don’t get it. No one does
Aaaaah, classic NBG2
I had an entire rebuttal originally posted but the admins would not let it post. So whatever.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:02 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:58 am Matt Reeves has actually always been my top choice for Godzilla but I think he's gonna be busy with Batman my other favorite fictional character so I don't see him doing it unfortunately, GDT for Gamera totally.
I mean depending when supposedly the next MonsterVerse Godzilla movie is (Give it 5 years tops) they could hire him as director for potentially Godzilla 3 which will be long after he's done with The Batman. So far it seems all the directors they've hired have been Godzilla and Kong or kaiju fans in general which Reeves himself is.

I also suggested him for a potential Gamera film because as the Heisei Trilogy had the dark tone and emotion as Dawn and War for the Planet of the Apes did.
I don't think they even have to wait that long. Filming just wrapped on The Batman a few weeks ago and it's scheduled for release next year, and Reeves has no other projects announced for after that. Legendary absolutely has the opportunity to snatch him up right now for either the next Kong or Godzilla movie. :)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Pkmatrix wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:17 amI don't think they even have to wait that long. Filming just wrapped on The Batman a few weeks ago and it's scheduled for release next year, and Reeves has no other projects announced for after that. Legendary absolutely has the opportunity to snatch him up right now for either the next Kong or Godzilla movie. :)
After his marvelous work on the two Apes reboot movies, he definitely could do Kong justice.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Agreed Matt Reeves directing and writing will definitely improve many of the core issues of the Monsterverse but I still think he'll be busy with The Batman and his sequels which WB seems to consider a major priority

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:58 am Agreed Matt Reeves directing and writing will definitely improve many of the core issues of the Monsterverse but I still think he'll be busy with The Batman and his sequels which WB seems to consider a major priority
Wait...The Batman is getting sequels? Cool! Guess that takes Matt out of the question though lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:08 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:58 am Agreed Matt Reeves directing and writing will definitely improve many of the core issues of the Monsterverse but I still think he'll be busy with The Batman and his sequels which WB seems to consider a major priority
Wait...The Batman is getting sequels? Cool! Guess that takes Matt out of the question though lol
Well unless the movie absolutely tanks which I extremely doubt but that's the current plan

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:08 am Wait...The Batman is getting sequels? Cool! Guess that takes Matt out of the question though lol
Not as far as I'm aware? Like, it's obvious the studio is hoping for it but no sequels have been announced or anything. At the moment, officially, Reeves is free to move onto other projects once post-production on The Batman ends.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I would definitely be open to see Reeves direct a film in the MV, especially a Kong one. His writing and directing skills can certinialy elevate the overall quality quite a bit.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Dv-218 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:52 am I would definitely be open to see Reeves direct a film in the MV, especially a Kong one. His writing and directing skills can certinialy elevate the overall quality quite a bit.
Plus he already has experience with monkes