The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by Dynomy-DX »

The “past present and future” has me cautiously optimistic. Still, hope this is a good sign of things to come.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

No fucking way the Monsterverse isn’t continuing. There’s gotta be at least one more movie.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

Gojira2K wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:51 am
plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:43 am I dunno guys. I hate to say it but I really don't see Gamera in this universe, at all. It's just way too campy. Jet engine leg openings? And he has a similar power to Godzilla on top of that. But a flying turtle with jet engines? Bipedal? I can't. I just can't.
In all fairness though, I saw a lot of people saying the same about MechaGodzilla back when the 2014 movie. But look at us now, we just got a movie where, not only does Godzilla fight Kong again after 59 years, we got a film where Kong fights MechaGodzilla. While I agree that I doubt we will actually get Gamera in the Monsterverse, I wouldn't count it out entirely.
I’ve never understood why someone wouldn’t want MG or think he’s not possible for the MV. A robotic kaiju is so cool and it’s not a modern day stretch after Pacific Rim. A giant bipedal turtle with jet engine legs and the same-ish breath weapon as Godzilla? Naw. Not even a close comparison.
Last edited by plasmabeam on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Moth wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm They are 100% haggling Toho for an extension or are probably penning out a final deal right now.
I hope it that, it really difficult to know what’s happening behind the scenes Unless you’re a legendary or Toho employee, I really hope it does continue

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:36 am
plasmabeam wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:43 am I dunno guys. I hate to say it but I really don't see Gamera in this universe, at all. It's just way too campy. Jet engine leg openings? And he has a similar power to Godzilla on top of that. But a flying turtle with jet engines? Bipedal? I can't. I just can't.
Then make him a little more alien looking and instead of jets just put glowing organs on him or something that communicate he's using a power that lets him fly. I honestly don't think it's all that far fetched considering we have Rodan, a giant bird who can light himself on fire at will. Making him a space monster really would open up the door for his introduction perfectly, as well as set him apart from Godzilla in a true way- having him be a sort of "alternate Godzilla", one who hails from another planet.

In the same way, it'd actually give the entire MV crew a reason to BE a connected universe by bringing in Gamera's enemies, as then the world would truly be at risk of invasion, something all monsters can unite against. Yes, King Ghidorah would do the same job, but he's dead.

I wouldn't want a MV Gamera film to bring back an old enemy, though. Well...apart from the Gyaos, they should always be with Gamera, but as a somewhat minor enemy. Do what the 2016 teaser did and have the Gyaos introduce Gamera and be a human-level threat, then bring in something new and bigger to be a threat to Gamera himself.
Yeahhh no. I still can’t see it. Sure, Rodan can set himself on fire but that’s still different than emitting a heat weapon from his mouth. There’s just something risible about a bipedal turtle that goes against the coolness factor that the MV is trying to build. Certainly, all kaiju are preposterous in general, but this really jumps the shark in a needless way that will make us a laughing stock with the GA.

We need to move the MV forward with cool new foes that represent how we’ve grown cinematically and thematically. If we update anything, Destroyah could possibly be acceptable as some sort of hell-representing demon kaiju with major changes in design. A Biollante update is also an option. Though I prefer creative new kaiju that the GA can connect with so that we can keep going with the MV and Godzilla indefinitely. That’s more important to me than fan service.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Couldn't disagree more. Lizards, turtles and snakes make up the trifecta of reptiles. If you can believe a gigantic multi-billion year old nuclear lizard can breath atomic fire and fight 3 headed space alien dragons then I'm sure it wouldn't be too far fetched to consider a massive snapping turtle that can beat ass, shoot napalm fireballs, and fly-spin like a gigantic dreidel.

And idk about the rest of you, but to me, a giant reptilian beast with building-tall tusks and an unstoppable shell is cool as fnck.
but this really jumps the shark in a needless way that will make us a laughing stock with the GA
Ah yes, it wasn't Kong scratching his own ass after taking a morning stroll in GvK, or Godzilla smiling devilishly after wiping Kong. But instead a massive pissed off snapping turtle shredding gyaos by the hundreds
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 am Yeah i'm sorry but i can't really say i like this whole Captain Gamera thing. Just doesn't sit right with me and i feel like it wouldn't do much service to him. If a Godzilla vs. Gamera movie happens in this scenario in Godzilla ends up winning (which he probably would) building up Gamera like that just to have him lose would be the worse thing you could go for him.
Not to mention his rights are with a different company (Kadowaka). There was a Godzilla vs. Gamera movie being discussed a long time ago that fell through because Kadowaka wanted Gamera to win, and Toho said no.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I mostly want Gamera so we can get some new IPs beyond Godzilla and Kong. Will it happen? Eh. I got my doubts. Would it be cool? Oh, 100%. That’s the crossover my childhood self would dream to witness.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KManX89 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:03 pm
Gigantis wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 am Yeah i'm sorry but i can't really say i like this whole Captain Gamera thing. Just doesn't sit right with me and i feel like it wouldn't do much service to him. If a Godzilla vs. Gamera movie happens in this scenario in Godzilla ends up winning (which he probably would) building up Gamera like that just to have him lose would be the worse thing you could go for him.
Not to mention his rights are with a different company (Kadowaka). There was a Godzilla vs. Gamera movie being discussed a long time ago that fell through because Kadowaka wanted Gamera to win, and Toho said no.
I'm sure here in 2021 Kadokawa realizes they don't have any leg to stand on to make any character demands.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:05 pm I mostly want Gamera so we can get some new IPs beyond Godzilla and Kong.
But in that case, why not bring in the classic B-Movie monsters like the Ymir or Rhedosaurus? Be better than getting Gamera sidelined by the same guy he's been second banana to his entire career.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:07 pm
Dynomy-DX wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:05 pm I mostly want Gamera so we can get some new IPs beyond Godzilla and Kong.
But in that case, why not bring in the classic B-Movie monsters like the Ymir or Rhedosaurus? Be better than getting Gamera sidelined by the same guy he's been second banana to his entire career.
Would you say Kong was sidelined? It'd be the same concept. Trilogy for each of the pillars of the genre.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

KManX89 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:03 pmNot to mention his rights are with a different company (Kadowaka). There was a Godzilla vs. Gamera movie being discussed a long time ago that fell through because Kadowaka wanted Gamera to win, and Toho said no.
I don't think Toho is exactly the same as they were 20 years ago are they? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Call it a gut feeling honestly but though it likely ain't happening anytime soon I feel a Godzilla vs. Gamera is inevitable, that or Gamera getting an eventual new movie.

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:01 pmAh yes, it wasn't Kong scratching his own ass after taking a morning stroll in GvK
I definitely agree with you but to be fair don't real-life gorillas do that?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:10 pm
Would you say Kong was sidelined? It'd be the same concept. Trilogy for each of the pillars of the genre.
There's a difference here though. Kong wasn't always trying to get out of Godzilla shadow. From day one he was always his own monster who was rarely ever compared to Godzilla save for the occasional rematch debate online. Gamera on the other hand, started as a plain knockoff of Godzilla, but Kadokawa's worked so hard to give him his own identity his entire career, something that's still not really cemented as we still have people calling him "poor man's Godzilla". Gamera in the MonsterVerse, no matter what he starts out as, is inevitably gonna be stuck as another of Godzilla's sidekicks. Just kinda feels like that's getting him back to square one.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:07 pm
Ehhh. Rhedosaurus could be cool just to have Godzilla finally interact with his inspirations, but unless they expand the mythos of the other B-movie monsters, it doesn’t sound all that intriguing to me. Gamera actually has some lore and rogues that could be fun to see meshed into the world, I feel.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:01 pmAh yes, it wasn't Kong scratching his own ass after taking a morning stroll in GvK
They do lol, but it's also welcomed light-heartedness to the fans. My point was a giant fire breathing turtle wouldn't suddenly make the Monsterverse a "fandom laughing stock" lol that'd be ludicrous.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

You know what else is way too campy? The whole direction this series went in. Mothra's wing patterns and call in Godzilla's nuclear pulse. The bowing scene in GKOTM. Monsters fighting on aircraft carriers. Hollow Earth being the planet's core. Weird, wacky gravity. And, putting this in spoiler tags just in case...
Spoiler:
A big temple-thing for Kong, and who knows who built it. Kong being truly massive compared to the rest of his species, and yet things are built for his size in the Hollow Earth. Godzilla blasting holes into the Hollow Earth from Hong Kong and sensing things from thousands of miles away. Kong having an axe. Godzilla throwing Kong into a building and it simply doesn't break. Godzilla defeating Kong, with the strangest bit of squash and stretch animation. Everything about Mechagodzilla and psionics.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gamera was possible at this point. At all. We have giant lemurs with spikes in the Godzilla: Dominion comic for whatever reason. All of these wacky things, just like that. I said it was getting really weird in GKOTM, but now it's just too much to simply reverse direction and bring it back to a more serious level. This is what the MonsterVerse is now. I wanted to see more with the direction 2014 was going in, because that could have been episodic and interesting. Kong: Skull Island was also a lot tamer. I thought the "Hollow Earth" would be a system of underground caverns. Look at how wrong I was. :lol:

But regarding the future, I get the sense that this right here could run its course pretty quickly if it continues on this route, especially without caution and planning. People want more big monster battles, less human characters, and are asking for strange crossovers (Pacific Rim). People like repeating things from the Showa and Heisei era Godzilla films, and like the idea of remaking monsters from past films instead of creating entirely new creatures. There's a desire for more fan service. This is what held the Heisei series back after Biollante. Godzilla's feats may only get more ridiculous from here, until nothing is realistically a threat to him, but they'll have to pretend that they are somehow. That's what it looks like from this point to me. I could be completely wrong, and hopefully I am.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:16 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm
They do lol, but it's also welcomed light-heartedness to the fans. My point was a giant fire breathing turtle wouldn't suddenly make the Monsterverse a "fandom laughing stock" lol that'd be ludicrous.
I really do think it would be a laughing stock situation. Kong scratching his ass like a regular gorilla would doesn’t hold a candle to the uber-cheese that is a bipedal turtle with (non-mechanical) jet engine openings at its lower legs and a similar power to Godzilla.

There are definitely a lot of campy elements to the MV but they’ve somehow made them digestible to a pretty successful degree.

I think we’ll just have to relegate this fan base into people who think Gamera would work and people who think he wouldn’t. I don’t find it something worth arguing over beyond this point as it’s just different people’s opinions and not really anything tangible we can grasp (like G and K being equals :lol: ).

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Godzilla has not teamed up with another monster, outside of KOTM, since 1973.
Godzilla needs friends again. I want Anguirus in the Monsterverse, no other Toho kaiju needed.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Moth wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:06 pm Godzilla has not teamed up with another monster, outside of KOTM, since 1973.
Godzilla needs friends again. I want Anguirus in the Monsterverse, no other Toho kaiju needed.
I'd be down for Anguirus to return as Godzilla's ride-or-die. I'm sick and tired of him being depicted as an enemy.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

A couple thoughts on Gamera.

1. Space police Gamera doesn't lower Godzilla anymore than saying Titans exist in space. Gamera is not an pha he simply goes to places that need a little extra help. Godzilla is also much stronger than he used to be. Even if Gamera was created as a rival, that was againts 2014 Goji. Post kotm Godzilla is on an entirely different level.
Spoiler:
2. Godzilla doesn't realize how powerful he has truly become. There is a quick scene in Dominion where Godzilla is still getting use to Mothra's power and is shocked at what he can do.
3. They could still go the Bioweapon route, honestly Mana could be a good way to explain what the HE energy is and why the Titan energy is different from our radiation.

4. Last but not least, if Sonic and Mario can cross, Godzilla and Gamera can especially with Kong there as well. I doubt Toho would care too much if Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra stood side by side with Kong and Gamera against Destroyah or Ghidorah.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image