The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I kind of want to wait a little longer for alien plotters to come in. Alien monsters are okay but yeah for Toho monsters I'm so for Biollante and Hedorah. (And Gamera)
I'm not the biggest Space Godzilla fan and would prefer Destroyah as a final boss but I do like some of this suggested designs. Maybe something a little asymmetrical with the crystals?
I also love the charged slashing claws idea but I worry it will take away from Kong's kick ass axe.

Y'know I kinda want Kong to meet Megalon in the HE.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:05 am
I also love the charged slashing claws idea but I worry it will take away from Kong's kick ass axe.

Y'know I kinda want Kong to meet Megalon in the HE.
Megalon does seem to be a burrowing creature. Even having drill hands.

As for charged claws. I feel like the axe while sick served it's purpose and Kong should get a better weapon in the future anyways. As a learning and almost humanoid creature he has several options.

Maybe they can even give the big guy some guns to sling.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

Do you guys think they would've announced something by now? Or do you think they are waiting for the final numbers for GvsK to come in? btw over 390M WW right now.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I keep going back and forth as to what seems to be the more appropriate direction for the MonsterVerse going into the next ‘phase’, at first I thought MonsterVerseBC—>Kong2; then for a short time I entertained, Kong2—>MonsterVerseBC; now I’m back to MonsterVerseBC—>Kong2. I primarily switched back because despite the two prospective installments in question likely having the same setting (HollowEarth), I feel like a different era is needed for a more in depth and tangible ‘change of scenery’ — and nothing quite does that like having a totally different civilization to depict (and introduce the audience to), which is what a ‘MonsterVerseBC’ chapter would do, ideally.

A couple things are certain, in my opinion: one is that this next phase will benefit from being much more cohesive and feeling more connected (particularly because the story acs of monsters will actually develop over the course of future installments), and one of the other things is that Godzilla3 is likely to be a culmination of sorts; the result of a building up, if you will. It plays out naturally because it will build up demand which is also a great marketing strategy and obviously if at least two the aforementioned hypothetical installments perform well, well then, we may just get our Destroy All Titans after all.

MonsterVerseBC—>Kong2—>Godzilla3—>DAM

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Bluezilla wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 amThat was Nathan Lind. His brother and him played with them as kids. His brother gave that to him on night before the HE entry attempt that ended in disaster.
Did you quote the right person?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:28 am There was a “space” hint in GvK. I believe they showed a kid playing with a Astronaut toy figure. Actually not sure if it was a kid playing... but I remember a astronaut toy figure. I think that was a subtle hint honestly.

Enemies from below(Hollow Earth).. enemies from above(space)
To add to this point, there's concept art from the GvK concept art book that shows cave paintings of Godzilla and Kong teaming up to fight this blue flying creature. It has giant wings, but has a Godzilla like body. It looks weird.

In terms of the astronaut, Nathan Lind was playing with it since it was given to him by his brother. It is because they (Nathan and to an extent his brother) compared the Hollow Earth exploration as man going to the first time to the Moon
Long Live The King

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Hokmuto wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 pm
Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:28 am There was a “space” hint in GvK. I believe they showed a kid playing with a Astronaut toy figure. Actually not sure if it was a kid playing... but I remember a astronaut toy figure. I think that was a subtle hint honestly.

To add to this point, there's concept art from the GvK concept art book that shows cave paintings of Godzilla and Kong teaming up to fight this blue flying creature. It has giant wings, but has a Godzilla like body. It looks weird.
Link???
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Hokmuto wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm
Zasraniec wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:32 pm It will probably be a copyright nightmare to reserve the rights but if it ever happens there is certainly the potential for the jackpot!
Honestly, I don't think it really will be. Gamera is extremely irrelevant now in Japan while the Monsterverse is booming. Kadokawa (or whoever has the rights now) would be dumb to miss this opportunity and I'm sure the Gamera rights are cheap. The main hurdle I would argue is how Toho will take this and whether they would be fine with Gamera joining in the universe. Maybe if they convince Toho that Gamera is lesser than Godzilla and that in their Versus movie Godzilla would win, then they would be on board lol
While I wouldn't mind seeing that the unfortunate reality is that you are most likely correct. Is Toho really that stingy over having Godzilla win versus movies? If so, why were so many people worried about another cheap unearned Kong victory?

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Zasraniec wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:17 pm
Hokmuto wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm
Zasraniec wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:32 pm It will probably be a copyright nightmare to reserve the rights but if it ever happens there is certainly the potential for the jackpot!
Honestly, I don't think it really will be. Gamera is extremely irrelevant now in Japan while the Monsterverse is booming. Kadokawa (or whoever has the rights now) would be dumb to miss this opportunity and I'm sure the Gamera rights are cheap. The main hurdle I would argue is how Toho will take this and whether they would be fine with Gamera joining in the universe. Maybe if they convince Toho that Gamera is lesser than Godzilla and that in their Versus movie Godzilla would win, then they would be on board lol
While I wouldn't mind seeing that the unfortunate reality is that you are most likely correct. Is Toho really that stingy over having Godzilla win versus movies? If so, why were so many people worried about another cheap unearned Kong victory?
We forgot about Toho's rule.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

In a perfect world, we would get a Godzilla movie with something to say, that says it properly. We’d have reasons to care about the characters that don’t feel contrived (Jia and Kong are the only ones who achieve this). Until then, it’s better that these movies don’t even try to have depth, lest we get a nonsensical message and trite family drama like KotM.

KotM’s reach FAR exceeds its grasp. GvK’s grasp might actually exceed its reach.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

LockBite wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:25 pm In a perfect world, we would get a Godzilla movie with something to say, that says it properly. We’d have reasons to care about the characters that don’t feel contrived (Jia and Kong are the only ones who achieve this). Until then, it’s better that these movies don’t even try to have depth, lest we get a nonsensical message and trite family drama like KotM.

KotM’s reach FAR exceeds its grasp. GvK’s grasp might actually exceed its reach.
Your literally asking them not to try because you think you wouldn't like it. That's redundant. No offense..

But we need to explore every possibility if we want any shot at the MV heading past one more film.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think a way to connect Godzilla more in a way similar to Kong would honestly be a family.

Godzilla could find either a female or a Titan subspecies similar enough to produce an offspring.

While Godzilla and his mate would basically just be co parents Baby Godzilla could bond with humans similar to how Kong is with Jia.

Godzilla would now have something to protect and the audiance can sympathize with him the way Kong does.

Jr Godzilla if the franchise wanted would be exposed to humans from an earlier age.

Jr also allows a way to depower Godzilla for a potential future.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Hokmuto wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 pm

In terms of the astronaut, Nathan Lind was playing with it since it was given to him by his brother. It is because they (Nathan and to an extent his brother) compared the Hollow Earth exploration as man going to the first time to the Moon
Pic of this cave painting?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:05 am I think a way to connect Godzilla more in a way similar to Kong would honestly be a family.

Godzilla could find either a female or a Titan subspecies similar enough to produce an offspring.

While Godzilla and his mate would basically just be co parents Baby Godzilla could bond with humans similar to how Kong is with Jia.

Godzilla would now have something to protect and the audiance can sympathize with him the way Kong does.

Jr Godzilla if the franchise wanted would be exposed to humans from an earlier age.

As I've said before, IMO the easiest way to introduce Baby Godzilla into this universe in a way that isn't going to confuse audiences and without introducing a female Godzilla or giving Godzilla a romance plot is just to have him be the result of humans trying to clone Godzilla. It'd also provide a nice contrast with Kong, considering many of us assume they're going to have him find others of his kind and do a version of the "Queen Kong" story.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Pkmatrix wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:05 am
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:05 am I think a way to connect Godzilla more in a way similar to Kong would honestly be a family.

As I've said before, IMO the easiest way to introduce Baby Godzilla into this universe in a way that isn't going to confuse audiences and without introducing a female Godzilla or giving Godzilla a romance plot is just to have him be the result of humans trying to clone Godzilla. It'd also provide a nice contrast with Kong, considering many of us assume they're going to have him find others of his kind and do a version of the "Queen Kong" story.
Baby-G could also be introduced alongside Biollante as “bioengineered siblings made from godzilla”, with both being the stark opposite of the other
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 am

Baby-G could also be introduced alongside Biollante as “bioengineered siblings made from godzilla”, with both being the stark opposite of the other
EXACTLY my thinking! :mrgreen:

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 am

I love this idea honestly. Would be an interesting concept to contrast him with Biollante being a more "imperfect" clone and how it could affect Godzilla's reaction to them. Plus I dig the notion of Godzilla being a "big brother" figure to the little one and fill up the loneliness hole attached to him.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Yep! 100% agree clone baby Godzilla is the way to go if they introduce that character & with Biolantte as the "dark" sibling is also great idea.

Great way to have some character growth with Godzilla too. Maybe he senses the baby & he (like with Mechagodzilla) initially comes to destroy it, but instead comes to take it under his wing & raise it, seeing it's essentially another one of his kind & he protects it from Biolantte.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

i was thinking that monarch and Godzilla find 2 or 3 baby Godzilla's and one is eventually taken by aliens and mutated into SpaceGodzilla

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Glad that the BabyGodzilla idea is getting more support

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
yogi bareass wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:35 am Do you guys think they would've announced something by now? Or do you think they are waiting for the final numbers for GvsK to come in? btw over 390M WW right now.
We'll get an announcement before the end of the year is my assumption.