The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by ernesth100 »

Where To Next? Here's what we've got so far.
Two Graphic Novels.

-Godzilla Dominion(a solo story told from Godzilla's perspective. Set prior to GvK it appears to be GMK type story where Godzilla goes on rampage against some enemy kaiju.)

-Kingdom Kong(Kong's own spin-off, I believe a prequel to GvK as well. Follows a group on mission to test their grit for a future Hollow Earth mission)

We also have a Kong Anime coming I believe set on Skull Island. Likely to be taking place after GvK.

In terms of films we have nothing new yet. But I'm sure the next announcement will come not long before the year is up with the current success. That being said. What do we do next for the MonsterVerse?

They've set up a plethora of options with Titans, Hollow Earth, Skull Island, Aliens, Monarch, Apex and far more in the comics which are(as far as we know) canon.

So where to next? What's you're wishlist? Let's talk it out!
Last edited by ernesth100 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: The Future Of The MomsterVerse?

Post by LegendZilla »

ernesth100 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:40 pm Where To Next? Here's what we've got so far.
Two Graphic Novels.

-Godzilla Dominion(a solo story told from Godzilla's perspective. Set prior to GvK it appears to be GMK type story where Godzilla goes on rampage against some enemy kaiju.)

-Kingdom Kong(Kong's own spin-off, I believe a prequel to GvK as well. Follows a group on mission to test their grit for a future Hollow Earth mission)

We also have a Kong Anime coming I believe set on Skull Island. Likely to be taking place after GvK.

In terms of films we have nothing new yet. But I'm sure the next announcement will come not long before the year is up with the current success. That being said. What do we do next for the MonsterVerse?

They've set up a plethora of options with Titans, Hollow Earth, Skull Island, Aliens, Monarch, Apex and far more in the comics which are(as far as we know) canon.

You might want to fix that typo in the title. Anyways, For movies, I think it would be cool to see a modern Gwangi film and I think that if they do Kong 2 and 3, both films should be set in the 80’s and 90’s respectively. If WB/Legendary does their own version of Destroy All Monsters, Kong will die.

I honestly am not sure for what they could do with Godzilla 3. Maybe they could end up cloning him in a lab and we could get Godzilla Jr. as for his opponent(s) going forward, I think that maybe they should try making a new monster since both KOTM and GVK brought back classic monsters in updated form. Do you have any ideas for what they could put him up against?

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:12 pm You might want to fix that typo in the title.
To be fair, the "MomsterVerse" sounds a lot more interesting than what we're actually talking about here. :P
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:12 pm
ernesth100 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:40 pm Where To Next? Here's what we've got so far.
Two Graphic Novels.

You might want to fix that typo in the title. Anyways, For movies, I think it would be cool to see a modern Gwangi film and I think that if they do Kong 2 and 3, both films should be set in the 80’s and 90’s respectively. If WB/Legendary does their own version of Destroy All Monsters, Kong will die.

I honestly am not sure for what they could do with Godzilla 3. Maybe they could end up cloning him in a lab and we could get Godzilla Jr. as for his opponent(s) going forward, I think that maybe they should try making a new monster since both KOTM and GVK brought back classic monsters in updated form. Do you have any ideas for what they could put him up against?
Finish the trilogy with Destoroyah IMO
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:22 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:12 pm You might want to fix that typo in the title.
To be fair, the "MomsterVerse" sounds a lot more interesting than what we're actually talking about here. :P
Care to explain why?

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by Gojira1604 »

From this point, the Monsterverse can either go the DCEU direction or the Pacific Rim direction or even the MCU Direction.
With DCEU, you have something that you know will be continuing but with an uncertainty about when everything's gonna be released. Think the Flash movie, and the setbacks Godzilla 2 and Godzilla vs Kong had. Also several stand alone movies of the same variety to the main ones made. Think the Meg and Rampage in the same vain as Joker and The Batman.
With Pacific Rim, you have it's core movies with spin-offs like anime that continue the story in a much cheaper medium than live action movies. Looks like the Monsterverse is already going this route.
With the MCU approach, well you get a whole line up of movies planned out towards a big event. Emphasis on planned out, with this approach the studio is fully on board with the cinematic connected universe and makes sure each film is build up. Yeah, I think this is the least likely scenario.
If the Monsterverse were to expand past just Godzilla and King Kong films, I'd think they
should have at least one or two other main monsters. I'm thinking the turtle, and if not Gamera then Mothra. And if not Mothra, then Mechagodzilla. And if not those, then these other kaiju as options for that third(or fourth) role in a "trinity": Behemoth, George, Zilla, Gipsy Jaeger, Ultraman ,King Caesar, Zone Fighter, Shin Godzilla, Rodan, Baragon, Lizzie, Clover, Ghidorah, Yongarry, some other new original monster, Nemesis, Bagan, etc. Ok I'm venturing into the realm of the very unlikely there ok, eh.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Kong 2 (2023): Him exploring Hollow Earth and faces some medium threat from there. Add some more plot details from there

Godzilla 3 (2024): Godzilla fights either Biollante (nature incarnate or some Godzilla hybrid) or Gigan (cyborg made by humans for some reason)

Afterwards I have no idea what they could do that could precede the typical Destroy All Monsters movie. Although I'm not a big fan I think eventually they'll connect both Godzilla and Pacific Rim so maybe they do it here

Destroy All Monsters (2028): Godzilla fights Mecha KG.
Long Live The King

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Hire new screenwriters I'm surprised Max Borenstein is still involved in some capacity but since GvK really improved in the monster driven story they now need to focus on improving the human characters while maintaining GvK level monster action. Try to make Godzilla more relatable by the GA which ironically is a common nitpick I've seen in the GvK reviews by having a film that's directly focused on him that show him doing stuff beyond kicking ass or probably a better option is to make a Son of Godzilla film where a young child finds a Godzilla egg that hatches and this allows the young Godzilla to develop a closer relationship with humanity that will pay off in future films and I would introduce a smaller scale Titan threat I think Alaska would be a perfect setting for this and this BabyGodzilla has to defend this town from a smaller Titan and in the end Godzilla himself shows up to adopt him. Downplay Monarch's involvement in the Godzilla films and bring back to other perspectives from G14 since we're now familiar with the Titans we don't need as much exposition that would ve better served for a Kong follow up in the Hollow Earth.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I wanna see them up the ante a bit and use lesser known monsters like Hedorah or Biollante. Both fit the "man meddling with nature" theme of the MonsterVerse. Hell they could even make Destroyah the ultimate bad guy of the MonsterVerse if they wanted to. Some more original Kaiju would be cool too.
DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 am Hire new screenwriters I'm surprised Max Borenstein is still involved in some capacity but since GvK really improved in the monster driven story they now need to focus on improving the human characters while maintaining GvK level monster action. Try to make Godzilla more relatable by the GA which ironically is a common nitpick I've seen in the GvK reviews by having a film that's directly focused on him that show him doing stuff beyond kicking ass or probably a better option is to make a Son of Godzilla film where a young child finds a Godzilla egg that hatches and this allows the young Godzilla to develop a closer relationship with humanity that will pay off in future films and I would introduce a smaller scale Titan threat I think Alaska would be a perfect setting for this and this BabyGodzilla has to defend this town from a smaller Titan and in the end Godzilla himself shows up to adopt him. Downplay Monarch's involvement in the Godzilla films and bring back to other perspectives from G14 since we're now familiar with the Titans we don't need as much exposition that would ve better served for a Kong follow up in the Hollow Earth.
The whole baby Godzilla thing would be really cool, especially if they took a route like the Bumblebee movie.
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I agree that Godzilla 3 should be setting up the Hedorah/Biollante plotline. Fits wih the tone and would be neat to see both of them get some updated designs. As for Kong, i feel like geyting some American counterparts to some of the Showa reptile gang like, Anguirus, Gorosaurus, Baragon etc. could make for great new allies and enemies for him, along with the insectoids like Kamacuras and Kumonga.

Destroy All Monsters should really be the grand finale of the MV. Have all the Titans and humanity come together to take one one foe that plans to destroy the world like SpaceGodzilla or something.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Breakdown wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:26 am I wanna see them up the ante a bit and use lesser known monsters like Hedorah or Biollante. Both fit the "man meddling with nature" theme of the MonsterVerse. Hell they could even make Destroyah the ultimate bad guy of the MonsterVerse if they wanted to. Some more original Kaiju would be cool too.
DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 am Hire new screenwriters I'm surprised Max Borenstein is still involved in some capacity but since GvK really improved in the monster driven story they now need to focus on improving the human characters while maintaining GvK level monster action. Try to make Godzilla more relatable by the GA which ironically is a common nitpick I've seen in the GvK reviews by having a film that's directly focused on him that show him doing stuff beyond kicking ass or probably a better option is to make a Son of Godzilla film where a young child finds a Godzilla egg that hatches and this allows the young Godzilla to develop a closer relationship with humanity that will pay off in future films and I would introduce a smaller scale Titan threat I think Alaska would be a perfect setting for this and this BabyGodzilla has to defend this town from a smaller Titan and in the end Godzilla himself shows up to adopt him. Downplay Monarch's involvement in the Godzilla films and bring back to other perspectives from G14 since we're now familiar with the Titans we don't need as much exposition that would ve better served for a Kong follow up in the Hollow Earth.
The whole baby Godzilla thing would be really cool, especially if they took a route like the Bumblebee movie.
Yep similar too Bumblebee and yes agreed I'd love to see a mix of new and preexisting monsters as well and Destroyah with modern sfx would be a badass nightmare threat and he's on the top of my wants list especially if they alter his origins and make him a bioengineered Titan using some DNA from various Titans including Godzilla and Ghidorah. I would love to see a more benevolent Biollante and I'm kinda mixed on Hedorah and I still skeptical about the SpaceGodzilla concept in an American film.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Saw someone mention Hedorah. I think him and Biollante actually warrant Godzilla's rise. Let's not forget he only come out when the Earth is in danger.

Kong's next film is easier as his responsibility is less as a whole. But he is still an alpha and as such will naturally come into conflict.

As for Space Godzilla, I feel like the only way that makes sense is through the Pacific Rim crossover. Having the precursors engineer they're own Godzilla.

Either that or perhaps Space Godzilla is another Ghidorah so to speak. Ghidorah was sent in the past to destroy Earth. Whose to say another take didn't create him? Godzilla destroyed him but now they know about Big G. They can take that into account and send a better weapon or an even more powerful Ghidorah(cough Monster X)

Side Note:
Does anyone else wish Monster X in Final Wars stayed that design. It was so badass an villainous just for it to turn into some off rand Ghidorah redesign that honestly wasn't that good.

Hope Legendary takes the design and keeps it like it was. No transformations.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

A slow painful death would be preferable.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KingZillla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:12 pm
Two Graphic Novels.

Finish the trilogy with Destoroyah IMO
Came here to say this. Or Biollante. Use ideas from the original. International corporation or whoever attempts to solve world hunger using the plant that would become Biollante to grow food in the desert etc. Then it goes horribly wrong. Have Biollante start terraforming the planet, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

How do you think an alien invasion plot should be handled? What sort of creatures do you think the aliens should be? Also, do you think they should incorporate an alien/earthling romance like how they did in ‘65?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Well I someone on another thread suggested that the aliens can invade Earth to harness the Hollow Earth energy and I think they should avoid humanoid designs

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

KingZillla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 pmFinish the trilogy with Destoroyah IMO
I think Destoroyah would fit better as the "Final Boss" of potentially and supposedly the final movie and "Endgame" of the MonsterVerse.

A Destroy All Monsters type battle with Godzilla, Kong, Mothra (Revived), and Titans against Destoroyah. The idea that Destoroyah should be a monster among monsters bringing the absolute extinction of all life especially humanity and titans. It'd be fitting too for the Man vs. Nature theme this cinematic universe thrives for being Destoroyah's existence was a result of man's arrogance.

Plus you could have Destoroyah being build up such as highlighting the effect in the Gulf of Mexico spreading, life is just not being able to remain sustained and if finally hitting land masses, causing nothing but empty landscapes, barren cities, and dead forests.

Godzilla 3 I'd go with Biollante, Gigan, or Hedorah.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:27 am, edited 6 times in total.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

There needs to be multiple TOHO monsters in each and every ‘phase 2’ installment going forward; Legendary needs to acquire the keys to the ‘little kingdom of horrors’ proper in order to make this work — regardless if they still plan to incorporate the other titans.

KaijuCrazy02
Ronin

Post by KaijuCrazy02 »

Honestly if they ever introduce Gigan in the monsterverse, I would rather have him be a natural titan than a space creature. Here is how I would handle him:

A corpse of a titan was found in the HE and now Apex is using it to put cybernetic enhancements on it, the corpse would have been missing it's arms, and a huge slash down it's stomach, including the tip of his tail, his eyes, and his feet.

They call Gigan the supposed "Titan Killer" because the cybernetic enhancements were made to destroy titans similar to how the Monsterverse MechaGodzilla was designed for the purpose of killing titans, Gigan is their secondary attempt.

The corpse of the dead Gigan is brought back to life in a state that cannot be called alive or dead, it has a power core located within it's body right at the heart, but it is protected by a large buzzsaw blade that prevents anything from getting close. This power core sends out living impulses throughout the corpse in which makes it move as if it were alive, so it is essentially alive...but not, and this makes him hard to kill.

In summary: Gigan is the name of a decaying corpse found in the Hollow Earth, Apex found the body and began to operate on it by putting cybernetic enhancements such as large faux shaped claws for hands, a buzzsaw to protect the power core, a red beam that can be fired from it's "eye," and a blade at the end of the tail. They also give him wings to hold him in the air when he flies around. Apex calls him the "Titan Killer."

Y'all like this idea?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gigan could also work as a surprise where he starts off seemingly as this new original titan that Godzilla defeats and kills only to be turned and revived into a cyborg.

On another note, be pretty cool if APEX turns out to be aliens or at least some, a homage and nod to the Black Hole Planet 3 Aliens, it'd definitely help explain how humanity managed to advance so quickly when it comes to the tech it currently has and notably
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.