The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Toho aren't exactly as who they were 20 years ago, certain times have really changed since then and they'd be on board. Call it a gut feeling but with all the demand kaiju fans wants a Godzilla vs. Gamera whether its separate from or part of the MonsterVerse, I feel that's inevitable, not anytime soon but sometime eventually in the future. They can't ignore that demand forever.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho had no problem doing the stage show.in the 70's, distributing the Heisei trilogy and having Gamera snd Godzilla in the city surrounded in shadow game.

I think Godzilla vs Gamera didn't happen in 02 strictly do to the money.

With Legendary paying everyone upfront it seems more likely to get the fight especially after Godzilla vs Kong.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:31 pm Toho had no problem doing the stage show.in the 70's, distributing the Heisei trilogy and having Gamera snd Godzilla in the city surrounded in shadow game.

I think Godzilla vs Gamera didn't happen in 02 strictly do to the money.

With Legendary paying everyone upfront it seems more likely to get the fight especially after Godzilla vs Kong.
And as someone also mentioned, getting the rights to Gamera should be really cheap.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I remember someone being against the notion and I can't blame them. Maybe it'd feel like the end of times to see them together at last or that there is no way to make it work well.
But I'm looking at it as 'okay Toho and Daiei in Japan couldn't make it work but maybe Godzilla and Gamera with Legendary in America COULD work.'

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:52 pm I remember someone being against the notion and I can't blame them. Maybe it'd feel like the end of times to see them together at last or that there is no way to make it work well.
But I'm looking at it as 'okay Toho and Daiei in Japan couldn't make it work but maybe Godzilla and Gamera with Legendary in America COULD work.'
This is my outlook. It's highly unlikely anyone outside of the general fanbase even cares for Gamera in the slightest also. So it's not like it would be a good choice for Daiei to decline.

That being said it's likely a long ways off before Gamera introduction is intended if it's even on the radar. He's been requested since KOTM so it's not unreasonable to assume Legendary has considered his inclusion.

It wouldn't bring in much of a new fanbase at first. But I'm sure in the long run it'd be a similar situation to Thor/Guardians of the Galaxy where should Godzilla perish or hibernate Gamera will step up to take the mantle.

It's clear Kong either doesn't want to or is smart enough to know there's certain enemies that he can't handle.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh another kick ass 'beat the villain' would be maybe by some point Godzilla (and Kong and Gamera?) were putting up a good fight but the big bad(s) is too powerful. Only for Rodan and the other cameo kaiju come running/flying in like the cavalry and Behemoth/Scyalla/Methuselah/Tiamat/ Na Kika and Mokele-Mbembe each get a hit in.

I guess it might come off as the end of Endgame but eh.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Guys, Gamera isn't going to be in these movies lol

This thread is equivalent to a comedy
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:52 pm Guys, Gamera isn't going to be in these movies lol

There's other pages in this thread where Gamera is not mentioned.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Man, anyone can swoop from their perch and take chicken-shit-ass cheap shots, forget that noise and focus on getting reinvigorated with anticipation for my revised phase two MonsterVerse kaiju forecast.

🚨🤡🚨

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:52 pm Guys, Gamera isn't going to be in these movies lol

I didn't know you worked at Legendary or Kadokawa.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

>Handsome Shrek being Handsome Shrek

Finally, the MV topic feels somewhat normal again!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Come to think of it the idea of Godzilla and Kong having a rematch was previously thought to be an impossible one but Legendary came along and quickly proved that idea not only wrong but utterly demolished the notion that it wouldn't be a hit in a time where the MCU reigns supreme at the box office. Along with the idea of Mecha-Godzilla being in the Monsterverse in general let alone in GvK. So putting Gamera in the Monsterverse wouldn't be seen as an impossible idea at this point.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Hey that's what people said about Banjo ever being in Smash 10 years ago.

Never say never.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:52 pm

Hey that's what people said about Banjo ever being in Smash 10 years ago.

Never say never.
They said no Spiderman in the mcu, no Godzilla kong rematcb, no MechaGodzilla in the monsterverse. Every time someone says never going to happen more than not they are proven wrong.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:26 pmThey said no Spiderman in the mcu, no Godzilla kong rematcb, no MechaGodzilla in the monsterverse. Every time someone says never going to happen more than not they are proven wrong.
And Spawn in Mortal Kombat. ;)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH Gamera showing up still is as likely as solving that one of the Millennium Prize Problems. It's not impossible, but it's sure as heck still not that likely no matter how much you say "never say never".

Still, i'd say he has a higher chance than Bagan at this point. :lol:
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 pm TBH Gamera showing up still is as likely as solving that one of the Millennium Prize Problems. It's not impossible, but it's sure as heck still not that likely no matter how much you say "never say never".

I'm only sayings its possible becasue Michael Dougherty strictly said he wants to see Gamera happen and he is in the writers room plus Thomas Tull is a big kaiju fan as well.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:45 pm
Gigantis wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 pm TBH Gamera showing up still is as likely as solving that one of the Millennium Prize Problems. It's not impossible, but it's sure as heck still not that likely no matter how much you say "never say never".

I'm only sayings its possible becasue Michael Dougherty strictly said he wants to see Gamera happen and he is in the writers room plus Thomas Tull is a big kaiju fan as well.
Dougherty being a writer on GvK doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be on board for future Monsterverse films (nor does it mean his dreams would be realized if he were) and I'm pretty sure Thomas Tull has had absolutely nothing to do with Legendary for years now aside from a producer credit, he's not the guy calling the shots anymore.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Thing with Gamera is you’re gonna get another Toho demand... Godzilla can’t lose. It’ll end up being GvK again. Instead of having them fight have them be 100% friends like Mothra and Godzilla. Make Gamera this Godzilla’s Anguirus for example.

It’s definitely possible. After GvK and including Mechagodzilla in the film I think anything is possible now.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

A part of me is like 'okay...maybe it would kinda be a repeat of Godzilla vs Kong...BUT IT'S GODZILLA AND GAMERA!!!'
I think most of us are picturing Heisei Gamera and honestly i'd kind of love it if we had something as fierce looking as G3 Gamera and yet has a 'friend to all children' thing going on.

But okay let's say Gamera ends up being the kid of the pack and is quite Showa-esque? I think I could live with that honestly. Maybe grow between movies? So I guess he starts off Toto-esque but not nearly that small? But perhaps it would be best to introduce him a la Wonder Woman in BvS then he gets his own MV movie. Hey in a future movie maybe we can really organically get the versus match?

I mean I'd so rather see Gamera in the MV than Pacific Rim.