Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Well this is certainly a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. Granted, I don’t trust Rotten Tomatoes as far as my own personal opinions go, but a good score is always welcome

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:
The Zilla in Manila wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:37 am Wow, Alonso Duralde from The Wrap gave this a Rotten. The guy loved KOTM so I'm surprised.
Everybody’s got their own personal opinions. For example, I love King of the Monsters, yet find Avengers: Endgame painfully average at best (I’d even go as far to say I’d consider it “mediocre”), but obviously the majority of the moviegoing base disagrees with me
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 am For example, I love King Of The Monsters
opinion instantly invalidated. Like, picoseconds-instantly
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Wow I was not expecting this at all. Again, not that we should formulate our opinions based on RT scores, nor should we use it as some justification to suggest certain opinions are superior. But for those concerned about the longevity of the monsterverse, this is looking very good. To some extent I wonder how much of the pandemic plays into this reception. Perhaps GvK is the lighthearted film we need after the past year of events.
He Jock it Made of Steel

rob6027
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob6027 »

These reviews are way better than I was expecting. I can't wait for Wednesday. Not only do I get to see it in theaters but I can come home and watch it as many times as I want for a month, so cool lol

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

rob6027 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 am These reviews are way better than I was expecting. I can't wait for Wednesday. Not only do I get to see it in theaters but I can come home and watch it as many times as I want for a month, so cool lol
Same it will be tempting not to watch on Max the moment it becomes available but I want my firdt experience to be on IMAX.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:43 am
Handsome Shrek wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 am For example, I love King Of The Monsters
opinion instantly invalidated. Like, picoseconds-instantly
lmao agreed.

anyway, glad kong is getting the 82 it deserves. im sure the majority of people calling critics "useless" will now ironically boast that score to show that its an actual good film. Critics are "bad and don't know anything", well until they rate your favorite movie from your favorite franchise a good score. lol.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Last edited by H-Man on Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Sooo.... Honeymoon phase aside... I nigh loved everything about this movie. I loved the fact that I could catch it before work, yet still have plenty of time afterwards, without feeling like I was rushed. It’s a very tight and lazer focused film, and the little bit of downtime that is there is still interesting enough to have held my attention. The human cast reminded me a lot of Skull Island’s: Colorful, entertaining, if a bit hollow (pun intended?) when it came to a few of them. The cinematography was absolutely stellar, A+ work, with everything being vibrant and colorful without ever resorting to filters; it’s super crisp.

As for Godzilla and Kong themselves... Jesus did they do a perfect job with both of them. Kong was incredibly well humanized, and you felt his emotions and what he was thinking, even when there wasn’t any dialogue nor characters helping out. I genuinely felt sympathetic for the giant ape Titan
Spoiler:
when Godzilla was tearing his ass up, and left him for dead at the end of the Hong Kong fight.
Godzilla was a goddamn force of nature, a vengeful, yet misunderstood god who wasn’t taking shit from anyone here. He’s scary intelligent, and chock full of personality. There are plenty of moments where I was just gawking at how perfectly framed his shots were. Plenty of close ups on both of the Titans, but Godzilla in particular was shot in ways that we’ve never seen before in the MV. Just like Kong, it was very easy to tell what he was thinking and feeling, those beautiful eyes and amazing facial expressions doing great work for the big G.

The fight scenes were chef’s kiss good, and there were barely, barely any cut aways to the human cast. When there were, they lasted for a few seconds, before the movie shoved the main stars right back in your face.

If it feels like I’m gushing, it’s because I am, lol. I’m genuinely not trying to sound biased, but right now, and likely every time that I watch GvK, there really won’t be anything that necessarily bugs me. It’s not a perfect movie, but damn if it isn’t a great one, and whatever flaws that are present are incredibly minute for me. Which makes me happy, because it’s doing so damn well for itself in terms of numbers, reviews, RT aggregates, etc. The future is bright for the Monsterverse, which is good, because with what this movie personally brings to the table, there is a lot more that they can do, and places they can go.

Oh, and the beginning... I, in a thousand years was not expecting that... At all. It was a good start, definitely gave me a nice giggle.

#BotM

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I've already given my overall thoughts with the film on other threads so I'll just leave it here.

Another film that like King of the Monsters is more for the hardcore kaiju fans, otherwise for the general audience I say its a timewaster at best if you're only coming for giant monster action and fights, a good time to shut off your brain and enjoy the fun ride, you won't get much out of the story and characters.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

Taking a smoke break from watching. So far, I’d say this literally is a turn-off-your-brain film. Script and story are terrible (although the actors themselves are decent), it feels like it’s missing a half hour, and its got this Pacific Rim/Transformers vibe (which I hate). My expectations/standards for the franchise as a whole had to be uncomfortably adjusted after K: SI, and then thrown out the fucking window with KOTM.

But Goddamnit, the monsters and special effects ABSOLUTELY make this worth watching alone. I both hate and love this movie.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 am Taking a smoke break from watching. So far, I’d say this literally is a turn-off-your-brain film. Script and story are terrible (although the actors themselves are decent), it feels like it’s missing a half hour, and its got this Pacific Rim/Transformers vibe (which I hate). My expectations/standards for the franchise as a whole had to be uncomfortably adjusted after K: SI, and then thrown out the skreeonking window with KOTM.

But Goddamnit, the monsters and special effects ABSOLUTELY make this worth watching alone. I both hate and love this movie.
Is it worth going to the imax theater or just stream it on HBO max?

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I haven't seen this yet but I'm a bit worried that because I loved KotM I'll end up not enjoying this one as much.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Troyal1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:17 amIs it worth going to the imax theater or just stream it on HBO max?
If you're going in for tons of giant monster action. I'd definitely recommend IMAX.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

This is not an intelligent movie at the story level, but then again, neither was KOTM or (in my opinion, anyway) G'14. G'14 was in denial about being dumb and KOTM alternated between denial and basically winking at the audience. Godzilla vs. Kong seems to earnestly embrace being empty-headed fun. You can easily nitpick stuff about the story and characters, and personally I'll never be able to reconcile myself with the Hollow Earth conceit that's underpinning all of these films. But overall, Godzilla vs. Kong succeeds in delivering fast-paced and breezy monster action, mostly avoiding the occasional doldrums and/or cringe-inducing quippy dialogue of its predecessors.
In my opinion, of course.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

This literally fixes everything ive disliked about the fights in kotm and and g2014, but more KOTM. No shaky cam, no blurry image, no obscurity, there are finalyl daytime fights, there are finally nice wide establishing shots and good camera movement that fixates on the battle. It never simply just pans away from the fight. We finally get to see actual fights that arent from a dirty window screen or computer monitor. Perfect. I cant believe it took them this long to get that stuff right lol. I've always said, I really enjoyed Skull Island because the fights were well made, they definitely took cues from that. Definitely my favorite monsterverse film now. 7.5/10. That's a good score from me. Cant wait to pick it up on bluray and 4k.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:22 am
Troyal1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:17 amIs it worth going to the imax theater or just stream it on HBO max?
If you're going in for tons of giant monster action. I'd definitely recommend IMAX.
I have an IMAX ticket for tonight and another for tomorrow. I’m refunding both since I think HBO is good enough for me personally, but I do still recommend seeing this on the big screen.

I just finished the movie and I’m rewatching the last fight again. What really surprised me was how simple the fights were shot. By that, I mean there were very, very few bits of ridiculous over-the-top cinematography, which I really appreciate. The monsters themselves move quickly, and it can feel just a tad bit unnatural at times, but overall I’m very happy that they retain a sense of weight and scale for the most part.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

0/10, no Mokele-Mbembe.

Jokes aside, it was amazing.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I wrote my review on the main page but in short: i liked it, but didn't LOVE it. It's good for the most part, but i feel like there was still stuff to improve on.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Just finished watching the film on HBO Max. We've been waiting years for a rematch of two of cinema's most iconic monsters of all time and boy was the wait worth it! Aside from some minor character depth it really does build upon what was established in the Monsterverse along with giving both Godzilla and Kong their own awesome moments to shine. :D
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Just saw it on HBO Max! And hot damn, that was fun! I love how brutal and intense the action was, and I didn’t have much issue with Team Kong OR Godzilla.

My biggest gripe is the villains. Like... there’s so much fun potential there that’s kinda wasted. That and the screen time ratio for Godzilla and Kong could be more balanced? But that’s me being picky. I’m not sure if it beats KOTM for me personally, but in terms of the action, it clearly triumphs.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.