Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by Zasraniec »

This thread is for reviews of Godzilla vs Kong, whether they are yours or from critics.

To begin, I saw a midnight showing of Godzilla vs Kong and it was PLAIN AMAZING! This is easily the best Monsterverse entry and is one of my top favorite Godzilla and Kong films of all time. I am going to keep this spoiler free except at the end where I will tag it of course for those who don't want anything massive revealed. Anyway the kaiju action is just plain fantastic. Among the best in the Godzilla franchise. It is of course the movie's main strength. While all the kaiju scenes are pretty solid the takeaway is of course Godzilla vs Kong and another matchup that I will mention in the spoiler tags. First things first this movie nailed both Godzilla and Kong. Godzilla has the feel of being a powerful force of nature and Kong is of course the sympathetic kaiju. Almost all of the emotions I had were with Kong but Godzilla was sympathetic at times too. The human drama wasn't really anything special but the acting was fantastic and it gets the job done.

Ok now for some of the spoilerish stuff that I liked.
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla is the real villain in this movie and this movie also hit the nail on the head on how to portray this kaiju. Just a pure evil machine that is only there to destroy and nothing more. His arsenal isn't too varied but very deadly. His main ranged attacks are missiles and a red beam. Easily one of my favorite Mechagodzilla incarnations. You can even hear Ghidorah at the end of the roar sometimes! That was AWESOME! Watching Godzilla and Kong go at it with Mechagodzilla was just as entertaining as Godzilla vs Kong itself. It is here where you feel sorry for Godzilla because Godzilla gets destroyed most of the time and it is painful to watch. However the the cooperation between Godzilla and Kong is very satisfying. In fact this movie is just a very satisfying conclusion to the Monsterverse trilogy as it stands right now. I would give this a 9/10. Maybe even more when I go to see it again in the near future.
I'll add more stuff if it comes to me later but this is just off the top of my head. Long story short, excellent movie!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by LegendZilla »

Zasraniec wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:33 pm This thread is for reviews of Godzilla vs Kong, whether they are yours or from critics.

To begin, I saw a midnight showing of Godzilla vs Kong and it was PLAIN AMAZING! This is easily the best Monsterverse entry and is one of my top favorite Godzilla and Kong films of all time. I am going to keep this spoiler free except at the end where I will tag it of course for those who don't want anything massive revealed. Anyway the kaiju action is just plain fantastic. Among the best in the Godzilla franchise. It is of course the movie's main strength. While all the kaiju scenes are pretty solid the takeaway is of course Godzilla vs Kong and another matchup that I will mention in the spoiler tags. First things first this movie nailed both Godzilla and Kong. Godzilla has the feel of being a powerful force of nature and Kong is of course the sympathetic kaiju. Almost all of the emotions I had were with Kong but Godzilla was sympathetic at times too. The human drama wasn't really anything special but the acting was fantastic and it gets the job done.

Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla is the real villain in this movie and this movie also hit the nail on the head on how to portray this kaiju. Just a pure evil machine that is only there to destroy and nothing more. His arsenal isn't too varied but very deadly. His main ranged attacks are missiles and a red beam. Easily one of my favorite Mechagodzilla incarnations. You can even hear Ghidorah at the end of the roar sometimes! That was AWESOME! Watching Godzilla and Kong go at it with Mechagodzilla was just as entertaining as Godzilla vs Kong itself. It is here where you feel sorry for Godzilla because Godzilla gets destroyed most of the time and it is painful to watch. However the the cooperation between Godzilla and Kong is very satisfying. In fact this movie is just a very satisfying conclusion to the Monsterverse trilogy as it stands right now. I would give this a 9/10. Maybe even more when I go to see it again in the near future.
I'll add more stuff if it comes to me later but this is just off the top of my head. Long story short, excellent movie!
Would you care to point out any flaws?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Sad to say it, but considering reviewer Chris Stuckman's track-record with the Monsterverse, I doubt he would find this one very satisfying either.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

I saw Godzilla vs. Kong earlier today. Overall I really quite enjoyed it, but it's very much a turn your brain off type of film.

If you're looking for monster-action, and/or you enjoyed KOTM you'll like GVK. Some of the action is pretty awesome, and there's very little cutting away from the fights to the humans. They let you see the monsters in all their glory, probably the one thing it does better than the other MonsterVerse films. Though I did have issue with the depiction of the spoiler character that everyone knows about. Overall though, it has a lot of issues... especially on the human side. I'm not going to go into detail, but I will say that the only characters I'd say were in any way decent or good were Nathan Lind, Dr. Andrews, Jia, and maybe Bernie. If you're excited for Ren Serizawa, don't be. He could almost be removed from the movie, so much so that it feels like they had intentions to do more with him but didn't for whatever reason. That's another thing, it feels like there were scenes cut, or the writers just kind of spitballed ideas out and forgot to remove the ones which weren't all that relevant. Too many things just happen, or are, with no reason. Ren Serizawa, as well as the 'history' between Godzilla and Kong's species, were the most notable examples of this issue from my viewing.

Also, did Zhang Ziyi (Dr. Ling/Chen from KOTM) have any scenes shot, because I swear she was cast to reprise her role?
Last edited by EvaGhidorah01 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:12 pm
Zasraniec wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:33 pm This thread is for reviews of Godzilla vs Kong, whether they are yours or from critics.

Spoiler:
Would you care to point out any flaws?
There are of course little flaws here and there but nothing that really kills the movie. Most of my critiques are with the spoiler sections so I will detail that at the end. The biggest "flaw" is the human element. Personally I don't think it really is that much of a flaw but others might think it is. I didn't see the movie for the human drama and I imagine neither do most of the others that saw it or will see it. The humans serve their purpose to carry the plot forward and the acting is superb even if they didn't have much to work with. Don't expect much character development. That is really all the non spoiler stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Ok spoiler stuff now because these are most of the tiny flaws I had with the movie. Again nothing serious just nitpicks really.
Spoiler:
The largest flaw is the war with Godzilla and Kong's species. It is never really mentioned or explained in depth. They just mention it and move on. Like the Oxygen Destroyer Missile from the previous movie. It is something that begs explaining but they just don't explain it. Another is pouring the liquid on Mechagodzilla's control panel. It didn't even seem to be that much liquid yet it gives Godzilla and Kong enough time to destroy Mechagodzilla. You would have thought they poured a bucket on that panel but they don't.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I’ll definitely come back here on the 31st to post my own review. Glad the two here so far are positive!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:14 pm Sad to say it, but considering reviewer Chris Stuckman's track-record with the Monsterverse, I doubt he would find this one very satisfying either.
Well, Stuckmann was at least pretty fair to Godzilla 2014. Actually, he pretty much praised it in his review from nearly 7 years ago with an A-, although he liked it less as time went on. He liked the action in Kong: Skull Island, but said the movie was trying to be Marvel and failing. The characters were, in his opinion, "hollow" and "expendable," giving it a C-. He felt the same about GKOTM and gave it a C-, but seemed to feel like the plot and characters were even weaker and he seemed more disappointed. So you're probably right about that.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:45 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:14 pm Sad to say it, but considering reviewer Chris Stuckman's track-record with the Monsterverse, I doubt he would find this one very satisfying either.
Well, Stuckmann was at least pretty fair to Godzilla 2014. Actually, he pretty much praised it in his review from nearly 7 years ago with an A-, although he liked it less as time went on. He liked the action in Kong: Skull Island, but said the movie was trying to be Marvel and failing. The characters were, in his opinion, "hollow" and "expendable," giving it a C-. He felt the same about GKOTM and gave it a C-, but seemed to feel like the plot and characters were even weaker and he seemed more disappointed. So you're probably right about that.
He just seems like one of those people coming in to movies like this and wanting something more than just a simple shut-your-brain-off popcorn flick.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:52 am I saw Godzilla vs. Kong earlier today. Overall I really quite enjoyed it, but it's very much a turn your brain off type of film.

If you're looking for monster-action, and/or you enjoyed KOTM you'll like GVK. Some of the action is pretty awesome, and there's very little cutting away from the fights to the humans. They let you see the monsters in all their glory, probably the one thing it does better than the other MonsterVerse films. Though I did have issue with the depiction of the spoiler character that everyone knows about. Overall though, it has a lot of issues... especially on the human side. I'm not going to go into detail, but I will say that the only characters I'd say were in any way decent or good were Nathan Lind, Dr. Andrews, Jia, and maybe Bernie. If you're excited for Ren Serizawa, don't be. He could almost be removed from the movie, so much so that it feels like they had intentions to do more with him but didn't for whatever reason. That's another thing, it feels like there were scenes cut, or the writers just kind of spitballed ideas out and forgot to remove the ones which weren't all that relevant. Too many things just happen, or are, with no reason. Ren Serizawa, as well as the 'history' between Godzilla and Kong's species, were the most notable examples of this issue from my viewing.

Also, did Zhang Ziyi (Dr. Ling/Chen from KOTM) have any scenes shot, because I swear she was cast to reprise her role?
Out of curiosity, if I'm someone that has only seen the trailer along with a handful of tv spots and that one clip IGN released (and I know the existence of the spoiler character), how much of the movie has been given away to me? I've been having this feeling WB has been showing way too much of the movie.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:31 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:45 pm
He just seems like one of those people coming in to movies like this and wanting something more than just a simple shut-your-brain-off popcorn flick.
Well, you say it like there's something wrong with that. It's a shame when you feel that you have to "shut your brain off" to enjoy something. You're never really invested in 80% to 90% of what you paid the price of admission to see, and it's disappointing besides the spectacle. Godzilla 2014 wasn't exactly one of those sorts of movies, so it's easy to see why someone would expect to see better in sequels.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

^ Exactly

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

What's cool is that he actually liked the movie, surprisingly enough. :lol:
He gave it a B.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:59 pm
What's cool is that he actually liked the movie, surprisingly enough. :lol:
He gave it a B.
I was just about too post that

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

That surprised the hell out of me. The dude had a smile on his face the entire video.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

At this point KOTM had 26 reviews and was at a 52% tomatometer.

GvK has 32 and is sitting at a fresh 78%

That along with many, many, many other critics outside of RT, the G-fandom, and the GA saying this is the best film of the MV with amazing action has be hyped beyond belief.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

You know the tomatometer is only gonna go down from here, right? It's part of the BS algorithm that it uses: for some stupid-ass reason, negative reviews always have more weight than positive ones
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:34 am You know the tomatometer is only gonna go down from here, right? It's part of the BS algorithm that it uses: for some stupid-ass reason, negative reviews always have more weight than positive ones
Fully aware. The point still stands that at this point in KOTM’s release it had 26 reviews and had a rotten score, whilst GvK has 32 reviews with a vastly better fresh score.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Zilla in Manila
Samurai

Post by The Zilla in Manila »

Just when I was about to rant about how disingenuous Stuckmann is about his claim that he's this huge Godzilla fan, he goes out and gives this film a better grade that Shin Godzilla. Unbelievable. But I do still stand on my opinion that I believe he's a fan, but of the concept of Godzilla rather than the movies as a whole. ;P
Last edited by The Zilla in Manila on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

"It's funny because I was sitting there with [President Barack] Obama and Leo's [DiCaprio] is talking about the environment and I'm talking about clothes. And everyone looks at me like that's not an important issue or something." - The Brain of Kanye

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

The Zilla in Manila wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:58 am Just when I was about to rant about how disingenuous Stuckmann is about his claim that he's this huge Godzilla fan, he goes out and gives this film a better grade that Shin Godzilla. Unbelievable. But I do still stand on my opinion that I believe he's a fan, but of the concept of Godzilla rather than the movies as a whole. ;P
He was right about all his criticisms of shin Godzilla though. It’s like the one review I’m almost 100% with him on lmao
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

So Grace Randolph just put out a video full of false praise for the movies success. Said current 78 Rotten Tomatoes score will go down to 50’s tomorrow. She says only reason score is high now is because it was released in non-English speaking countries and they couldn’t follow storyline. Said this with graphic on screen that supposedly showed all major foreign markets where it’s released. It was wrong of course as it included all the South American countries where it’s delayed till mid April. Also didn’t mention that half of the current reviews are from English speaking countries. I just thought it was a very insulting take on foreign audience and foreign critics.