Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Bluezilla wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:26 pm So Grace Randolph just put out a video full of false praise for the movies success. Said current 78 Rotten Tomatoes score will go down to 50’s tomorrow. She says only reason score is high now is because it was released in non-English speaking countries and they couldn’t follow storyline. Said this with graphic on screen that supposedly showed all major foreign markets where it’s released. It was wrong of course as it included all the South American countries where it’s delayed till mid April. Also didn’t mention that half of the current reviews are from English speaking countries. I just thought it was a very insulting take on foreign audience and foreign critics.
Grace Randolph is an actual idiot, she’s wrong about things all the damn time. And I’m not talking movie opinions, I’m talking about factual things and predictions
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gamera2021
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gamera2021 »

Bluezilla wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:26 pm So Grace Randolph just put out a video full of false praise for the movies success. Said current 78 Rotten Tomatoes score will go down to 50’s tomorrow. She says only reason score is high now is because it was released in non-English speaking countries and they couldn’t follow storyline. Said this with graphic on screen that supposedly showed all major foreign markets where it’s released. It was wrong of course as it included all the South American countries where it’s delayed till mid April. Also didn’t mention that half of the current reviews are from English speaking countries. I just thought it was a very insulting take on foreign audience and foreign critics.
Did foreign critics give KOTM higher scores than American ones?

I do think there's a chance that the US critics will be far less kind to the film (but I didn't think the score would be this high at this point, I admit).

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Also most of the reviews on there are from English speakers, from places like Australia. And they have the same ratio as the overall score

Grace is just being an idiot as usual

Added in 3 minutes 54 seconds:
Here: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzil ... er-reviews

Most of the reviews are from English speakers, and those reviews are mostly positive
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

The Zilla in Manila
Samurai

Post by The Zilla in Manila »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:12 pm
The Zilla in Manila wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:58 am Just when I was about to rant about how disingenuous Stuckmann is about his claim that he's this huge Godzilla fan, he goes out and gives this film a better grade that Shin Godzilla. Unbelievable. But I do still stand on my opinion that I believe he's a fan, but of the concept of Godzilla rather than the movies as a whole. ;P
He was right about all his criticisms of shin Godzilla though. It’s like the one review I’m almost 100% with him on lmao
Lol well I'm on the opposite. I think most of his criticisms just indicated he missed the point of what Shin Godzilla was doing with the narrative and characterization of the humans. I think the only thing I agreed with him on was that for the western audience the barrage of subtitles are hard to keep up with.

Either way I'm glad he was positive for GvK. Hopefully I like it too.
Resized Image

"It's funny because I was sitting there with [President Barack] Obama and Leo's [DiCaprio] is talking about the environment and I'm talking about clothes. And everyone looks at me like that's not an important issue or something." - The Brain of Kanye

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Not to mention that she said WB used this film to sabotage Snyder Cut and from reading between I can gather that she likes this film less than KOTM.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Of course, WB is intentionally sabotaging one of their own films that they knowingly promoted hard and already released to a substantial amount of viewers. With another one of their own film from a different genre. Absolutely logical and non-reaching whatsoever :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

merio
GPN Volunteer

Post by merio »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:19 pm Not to mention that she said WB used this film to sabotage Snyder Cut
Never heard of this person before but the moment I saw that, I know she's talking some heavy bull and that she is not to be trusted lol.
Last edited by merio on Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
he/him 17

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

merio wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:19 pm Not to mention that she said WB used this film to sabotage Snyder Cut
Never heard of this person before but the moment I saw that, I know she's talking some heavy bull and that she is not to be trusted lol.
Avoid the rabbit hole my friend just pretend you never heard of her.

merio
GPN Volunteer

Post by merio »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:48 am
merio wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 am
Avoid the rabbit hole my friend just pretend you never heard of her.
The only rabbit hole I'm glad I fell in is the Peko-hole. AH↓HA↑HA↑HA↑HA↑
he/him 17

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

merio wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:03 am The only rabbit hole I'm glad I fell in is the Peko-hole. AH↓HA↑HA↑HA↑HA↑
Please, for the love of god tell me i’m not the only one who got this
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

More reviews posted! Average is still good!

Added in 6 minutes 35 seconds:
Reviews are FLOODING in, and the average is holding!

HajimeKudo
Young Farmer

Post by HajimeKudo »

I saw the movie 2 days ago in Beijing (EN audio w/CN subs) and pretty much can only repeat what has been said before:

+they don't waste much time on the story and characters ("Fast and Furious with giant monsters")
+the monster fights are awesome (esp. G vs K in HK - as seen in bits in the many trailers)
+battles are long and fast (like in some Millennium G movies), and the fight choreography tops even that of the best TOHO Godzilla movies IMO
+SFX are great (as one can see from the trailer) and never disappoint
+the CG worlds created in this movie are magical
+quite a few scenes/shots were "taken" right out of a few G or KK movies from before, without reeking of fanservice
- (not really negative!) the movie is almost 2 hours long, but it felt like 45 minutes when I saw it and I was hoping that the final fight would last a little longer
Spoiler:
=Kong is clearly the underdog and is often seen evading and running from G's devastating heat ray, and the viewer can "feel" why, and this is so well-done in their 2nd bout in between the skyscrapers of Hong Kong especially
+still we don't really know who's gonna win until it's clearly shown in the movie, since Kong has his special weapon and it's hard to predict what's gonna happen next
=MG moves pretty much like a living creature, and not much like a machine (as Kiryu does in GXMG)
=there weren't really any surprise titan appearances or additional cameos in the movie, if you already saw all the toys
Last edited by HajimeKudo on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

The average hasn't updated yet, but I have it has 43 fresh 11 rotten. That's good for 80%. 79.6. Also of all the rotten scores, all but 1 have been 2/5 or a 2.5/5. This movie has a legit shot at staying above 80%.

Top Critics are joining in on the fun as well. 5 fresh 2 rotten.
Last edited by jrock on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

Damn I can't keep up with the updates now. But its an overload of fresh reviews. The Average is going to shoot up into the lower to mid 80s quickly.

So updated again now at 58 reviews with 47 fresh 11 rotten. 81% :Godzilla68:
Last edited by jrock on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

jrock wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:33 am Damn I can't keep up with the updates now. But its an overload of fresh reviews. The Average is going to shoot up into the lower to mid 80s quickly.
Same holy shit

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

lol now its 57:12
Cue the Here we go music.
Good for 83%

Last edited by jrock on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Damn it's pretty surprising I gotta say. So far holds a stable 80+.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm pleasantly shocked thought it would've dipped into the 60s by now

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

84% now

The Zilla in Manila
Samurai

Post by The Zilla in Manila »

Wow, Alonso Duralde from The Wrap gave this a Rotten. The guy loved KOTM so I'm surprised.
Resized Image

"It's funny because I was sitting there with [President Barack] Obama and Leo's [DiCaprio] is talking about the environment and I'm talking about clothes. And everyone looks at me like that's not an important issue or something." - The Brain of Kanye