Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6342
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by LegendZilla »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:To all those naysayers to time travel in the Monsterverse, you all know how horrible Avengers Endgame was right?
Unironically, I do. Infinity War was much better and the whole time travel thing felt needlessly convoluted. Unpopular opinion, but I feel the time travel plot was just a glorified McGuffin hunt and reusing things from old movies in the name of "homages".


On-topic, Lasers, Freezing weapons and Mechs are an absolute yes for the MV. Cryogenic weapons would be well within the semi-realistic setting and logical progression. We already have Maser weapons so I say laser weapons might be a given at this point and Ice weapons would be undoubtably effective against certain titans. (Maybe if Destoroyah ever comes along, the humans would actually be a huge threat to him with freezing weapons like the Super-X3?) As for Mechs, we already have talk of a Mechanized Giant in KOTM's credits, so I say we're already getting mechs of some sort. We might even get Mechagodzilla! A heck yes from me on all of this!

The Xiliens or other hostile alien races is something I'd hold off on for now, but I wouldn't completely write them off either. If built up and pulled off well, it might make the Monsterverse more intriguing both longtime fans and the average moviegoer as well, but if it's botched, the cheese factor ruin the MV's progression. A careful yes from me.

Magic is something that should be done a little subtly as to keep the tone of the MV consistent. Limit all magical stuff to mystical Titans like Mothra and it should be fine. Also don't just go all out and keep it subtle like telepathic communication with the Chens, reviving people like Maddie, fusing with Godzilla etc. Don't go full Mothra Leo. Another careful yes, but don't go too far with this one.

Lastly, Time Travel is something that just goes a little too far for the current MV. I don't really see a way it can be pulled off without an extremely confusing plot like GvKG. Best to leave this one alone. A straight up no from me.
Do you just not like Time-travel in general?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 8544
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Time travel basically renders any consequences completely useless.

One thing that’s interesting about Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is how it’s time travel isn’t the main focus, or at least solution of the film.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Mechs: Yes.

Planet X: Yes, but only if it's Ghidorah's home or that of some other alien kaiju.

Lasers: Yes. Very much considering how point defense lasers are being made now in real life.

Magic: Only to a limited degree and have imply that real life forces are a partial explanation.

Freeze Ray Cannons: No, but I will compromise and say Yes to cryo weapons like freeze rockets, shells, bombs, etc.

Time Travel: No. The Godzillaverse is more grounded then most Godzilla movie series, and far more grounded then the MCU was, for that.

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by GuardianGhido »

LegendZilla wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:To all those naysayers to time travel in the Monsterverse, you all know how horrible Avengers Endgame was right?
Unironically, I do. Infinity War was much better and the whole time travel thing felt needlessly convoluted. Unpopular opinion, but I feel the time travel plot was just a glorified McGuffin hunt and reusing things from old movies in the name of "homages".


On-topic, Lasers, Freezing weapons and Mechs are an absolute yes for the MV. Cryogenic weapons would be well within the semi-realistic setting and logical progression. We already have Maser weapons so I say laser weapons might be a given at this point and Ice weapons would be undoubtably effective against certain titans. (Maybe if Destoroyah ever comes along, the humans would actually be a huge threat to him with freezing weapons like the Super-X3?) As for Mechs, we already have talk of a Mechanized Giant in KOTM's credits, so I say we're already getting mechs of some sort. We might even get Mechagodzilla! A heck yes from me on all of this!

The Xiliens or other hostile alien races is something I'd hold off on for now, but I wouldn't completely write them off either. If built up and pulled off well, it might make the Monsterverse more intriguing both longtime fans and the average moviegoer as well, but if it's botched, the cheese factor ruin the MV's progression. A careful yes from me.

Magic is something that should be done a little subtly as to keep the tone of the MV consistent. Limit all magical stuff to mystical Titans like Mothra and it should be fine. Also don't just go all out and keep it subtle like telepathic communication with the Chens, reviving people like Maddie, fusing with Godzilla etc. Don't go full Mothra Leo. Another careful yes, but don't go too far with this one.

Lastly, Time Travel is something that just goes a little too far for the current MV. I don't really see a way it can be pulled off without an extremely confusing plot like GvKG. Best to leave this one alone. A straight up no from me.
Do you just not like Time-travel in general?
It just makes things conoluted, sketchy and hard to understand for me. There's also the whole paradox thing and the potential for opening up plotholes. And like LSD says, sometimes it can feel like a copout that comes out of nowhere as a deus ex solution to fix just about any mess. I only like time travel in the "guy from the future who's here to prevent a bad future" scenarios like Kyle Reese from Terminator or Trunks from DBZ. This kind of scenario usually focuses more on making things right and less on the time travel itself.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
Jeff-Goldblum2
Interpol Agent
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:36 am

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

They should all be open to being used in a Godzilla film. There's no point making a Godzilla movie if you're ashamed of making a Godzilla movie.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by mikelcho »

As far as mechas are concerned, yes, bring out a American version of Mechagodzilla. Then at least we'll finally have all of the Toho Big Five. In fact, I say bring out an American version of Anguirus, too.

By the way, what's the right way to say it - mechs or mechas? I'd really like to know.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7182
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote:
By the way, what's the right way to say it - mechs or mechas? I'd really like to know.
I'm 99% sure it's mechas.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by mikelcho »

tyrantgoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
By the way, what's the right way to say it - mechs or mechas? I'd really like to know.
I'm 99% sure it's mechas.
Okay, I thought that's what it was. That means, I think, that the word in the title is misspelled.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by GuardianGhido »

mikelcho wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
By the way, what's the right way to say it - mechs or mechas? I'd really like to know.
I'm 99% sure it's mechas.
Okay, I thought that's what it was. That means, I think, that the word in the title is misspelled.
It kinda depends. Fantastical Japanese styled giant robots and stuff (Gundam and the likes, possibly the Mecha-kaiju portrayed by suitimation) are called Mecha (plural) while realistic gritty giant robots are called Mechs (Battletech/Mechwarrior, the robot armor suits from Avatar etc). At least I think that's how it goes. This terminology is hard to wrap your head around sometimes. (Ghidorah allusion intended)

In this context, I believe that Mechs are the way to go for the MV instead of Mecha. That doesn't mean we can't get Mechagodzilla and the other Mecha-kaiju, just that they should be portrayed in a little more gritty and mechanical way, especially with the limitaitions of suitimation removed. Kinda like the Jaegers from PR1, being hybrids of Mecha and Mechs (not 2, those went full mecha). Some Monarch issue Mechs to aid in distracting Destroyer Titans while Protector Titans arrive (and evacuations are done) would be a pretty cool thing to do. Maybe even stuff like M.O.G.U.E.R.A but less silly looking.

My idea for Mechagodzilla is that it look like a fully functional, grounded mobile weapons platform built in the shape of Godzilla instead of a metallic palette swap of the big G. (or a skreeonking city, seriously why would you do this when you're free to make whatever you want) You can make it do crazy stuff like fire finger missiles, eye lasers and stuff, but show the inner workings a bit, maybe show a loading bay for firing more finger missiles, the eyes charging up laser panels or something, maybe give it a mouth mounted atomic breath cannon that visibly loads up from the tail to the back spines, but in a more robotic way than Godzilla (the spines would glow 1 row at a time like stage lights instead of continuously upwards).
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7182
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by Gigantis »

So since we already have phsychics in the MV, we might as well go all in and include magic. I mean, why not? Not like we're making the universe realistic.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat May 09, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by Dino-Mario »

All of the things mentioned in the title except for Time Travel would be nice. I hope we can see masers in their full glory in GvK, considering they were pretty much a blink-and-you-miss-it bonus in KOTM.
Last edited by Dino-Mario on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7111
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by Kaiju-King42 »

No, probably very likely to be in the near future, yes if done well, yes, yes if it can be explained, and already in the Monsterverse thanks to Mothra.
JAGzilla wrote: Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by GojiDog »

I always liked it when Godzilla went crazy with stuff like this, so I'd be down with it.

Post Reply