The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2693
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby Cookson » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Let’s hope GvsKong has no release issues in China. Needs that money from there to be successful.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
kaijuguy19
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby kaijuguy19 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:32 am

That's a legit concern but I don't think it'd be enough to actually destroy the movie itself let alone the Monsterverse since let's face it,bad critic reviews and such will likely do the job instead.
Blue Robotic Motorcylce ladies FTW!!!

Online
User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Shrek's swamp

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby tyrantgoji » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:35 am

kaijuguy19 wrote:That's a legit concern but I don't think it'd be enough to actually destroy the movie itself let alone the Monsterverse since let's face it,bad critic reviews and such will likely do the job instead.


Despite the fact both G14 AND Kong got pretty good reviews. This whole "critics hate Godzilla" thing needs to stop,this just getting stupid.

User avatar
kaijuguy19
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby kaijuguy19 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:40 am

tyrantgoji wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:That's a legit concern but I don't think it'd be enough to actually destroy the movie itself let alone the Monsterverse since let's face it,bad critic reviews and such will likely do the job instead.


Despite the fact both G14 AND Kong got pretty good reviews. This whole "critics hate Godzilla" thing needs to stop,this just getting stupid.


That wasn't really what I was leading into. I'm sorry if it came across as such. I was just explaining how the whole situation at China may not affect the movie too much to destroy the Monsterverse as a whole as how it doing poorly at the BO if that happens will do that instead.
Blue Robotic Motorcylce ladies FTW!!!

Online
User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Shrek's swamp

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby tyrantgoji » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:43 am

kaijuguy19 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:That's a legit concern but I don't think it'd be enough to actually destroy the movie itself let alone the Monsterverse since let's face it,bad critic reviews and such will likely do the job instead.


Despite the fact both G14 AND Kong got pretty good reviews. This whole "critics hate Godzilla" thing needs to stop,this just getting stupid.


That wasn't really what I was leading into. I'm sorry if it came across as such. I was just explaining how the whole situation at China may not affect the movie too much to destroy the Monsterverse as a whole as how it doing poorly at the BO if that happens will do that instead.


I think you kinda underestimate how big China is to the movie market nowadays. Poor box office their means a pretty big blow to the studio even if the movie itself didn't really flop.

User avatar
shadowgigan
Samurai
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby shadowgigan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:26 am

I don't see why the CCP would have a problem with this film coming. Theoretically, if it was shot in HK, then I'm sure it was subject to approval from the party. As long as the movie doesn't "violate" One China Policy, I don't see what would stop it from coming out.
Image
Actual signature from TK/Gojistomp, Circa 2005

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 816
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:11 am

shadowgigan wrote:I don't see why the CCP would have a problem with this film coming. Theoretically, if it was shot in HK, then I'm sure it was subject to approval from the party. As long as the movie doesn't "violate" One China Policy, I don't see what would stop it from coming out.


I'm talking beyond that via boycotts against the actual movie, stuff like that.

User avatar
LockBite
Interpol Agent
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 am

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby LockBite » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:06 am

One has to wonder if there’s some kind of allegory going on with Kong and Godzilla. King Kong being Hong Kong, Godzilla being China. Godzilla steps on Kong’s toes, the two fight on the basis of Godzilla wanting to lord over the entire world and Kong just wanting to be left autonomous. We don’t know enough about the plot, but a team-up would indicate an ultimately pro-China message in this case. This is all so nebulous that it could just be a force of coincidence.
Last edited by LockBite on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby Terasawa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 am

Idk if you’re being sarcastic or not but seriously, I doubt it. Although the problem has existed for a while, the Hong Kong protests started in earnest earlier this year. Wasn’t this movie filming last year? The script was finished long, long before this became a big international issue.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

Online
User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Shrek's swamp

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby tyrantgoji » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:31 am

LockBite wrote:One has to wonder if there’s some kind of allegory going on with Kong and Godzilla. King Kong being Hong Kong, Godzilla being China. Godzilla steps on Kong’s toes, the two fight on the basis of Godzilla wanting to lord over the entire world and Kong just wanting to be left autonomous. We don’t know enough about the plot, but a team-up would indicate an ultimately pro-China message in this case. This is all so nebulous that it could just be a force of coincidence.


Please say sike. There's absolutely no way Legendary could have predicted this to happen.

User avatar
Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:28 am
Location: Vague SF Bay Area

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby Fish Cakes » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:45 am

Imagine pre-emptively blaming civil unrest for the KotM sequel flopping.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby Terasawa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Fish Cakes wrote:Imagine pre-emptively blaming civil unrest for the KotM sequel flopping.


Setting up the narrative for if/when the movie underperforms.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5248
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Why, just because the Chinese government is legitimately popping innocent heads left and right, and China is the #1 market for these films... Noooo, of course civil unrest won't put a dent in the film, how could it?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby Terasawa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:20 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Why, just because the Chinese government is legitimately popping innocent heads left and right, and China is the #1 market for these films... Noooo, of course civil unrest won't put a dent in the film, how could it?


China has more than a billion people. Add to that the number of Americans that won’t know or care that Legendary is a Chinese-owned company and I’m not sure how the HK protests will greatly impact this movie.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6311
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:34 pm

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Why, just because the Chinese government is legitimately popping innocent heads left and right, and China is the #1 market for these films... Noooo, of course civil unrest won't put a dent in the film, how could it?


China has more than a billion people. Add to that the number of Americans that won’t know or care that Legendary is a Chinese-owned company and I’m not sure how the HK protests will greatly impact this movie.

And as it stands now, the unrest is relegated only to Hong Kong, a relatively small populace.

I hope GVK does well, at least in the sense I hope it doesn't actively fail, but it's hilarious seeing JNAVS already make excuses should it not be a gigantic success.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5248
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:40 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:And as it stands now, the unrest is relegated only to Hong Kong, a relatively small populace.

I hope GVK does well, at least in the sense I hope it doesn't actively fail, but it's hilarious seeing JNAVS already make excuses should it not be a gigantic success.

Lmao I'm not making excuses, I just think it's a bit presumptuous to say "when this movie fails this'll be an excuse as to why", it's like trying to stomp a flame before there's even an ember.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6311
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:43 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:And as it stands now, the unrest is relegated only to Hong Kong, a relatively small populace.

I hope GVK does well, at least in the sense I hope it doesn't actively fail, but it's hilarious seeing JNAVS already make excuses should it not be a gigantic success.

Lmao I'm not making excuses, I just think it's a bit presumptuous to say "when this movie fails this'll be an excuse as to why", it's like trying to stomp a flame before there's even an ember.

No, we are saying that IF the film fails, or under performs, people will not blame the quality of the film, or the general disinterest towards the film on the film itself and rather complain about "the critics", "Disney", "stigma against Kaiju films", in the same way they do for KOTM. Just add this time,"It didn't meet our expectations because China has some current issues".
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Online
User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Shrek's swamp

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby tyrantgoji » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:46 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:And as it stands now, the unrest is relegated only to Hong Kong, a relatively small populace.

I hope GVK does well, at least in the sense I hope it doesn't actively fail, but it's hilarious seeing JNAVS already make excuses should it not be a gigantic success.

Lmao I'm not making excuses, I just think it's a bit presumptuous to say "when this movie fails this'll be an excuse as to why", it's like trying to stomp a flame before there's even an ember.

No, we are saying that IF the film fails, or under performs, people will not blame the quality of the film, or the general disinterest towards the film on the film itself and rather complain about "the critics", "Disney", "stigma against Kaiju films", in the same way they do for KOTM. Just add this time,"It didn't meet our expectations because China has some current issues".


Well at least that ones a logical reason. But if someone were to find out that China's issues weren't the cause the fandom would be looked at in a VERY negative light,others would think "using the deaths of innocence for an excuse of a movie flopping?! How terrible!"
Last edited by tyrantgoji on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4698
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby G2000 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Terasawa wrote:China has more than a billion people. Add to that the number of Americans that won’t know or care that Legendary is a Chinese-owned company and I’m not sure how the HK protests will greatly impact this movie.


Because Chinese censorship boards can be fickle and a worsening of the situation in Hong Kong might cause them to reassess their stance on this film. Not to mention Legendary itself (or their Wanda financiers) might recut the film, alter the release date, or even pull it altogether (highly unlikely but not without precedent) should anything unexpected come up; many films had to be altered or were straight-up cancelled after 9/11.

No one’s trying to start a “preemptive narrative” blaming anyone should the film underperform; it’s just that in an unfortunate happenstance the filmmakers seem to have chosen to set a decent portion of the film in a city that has since once more become a major sticking point in Sino-Western relations, and that may very well have an impact on the film
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Postby Terasawa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Unless the Hong Kong setting is used to promote democratic government then I’m not sure how that would negatively affect the film. For all we know, Chinese fans will want to see Hong Kong crushed in a monster battle.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests