Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2125
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Halley's Comet.

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby tyrantgoji » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:23 am

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Changing his race is like making Godzilla a giant scorpion,it simply doesn't work.

Today I learned that black people are as different from white people as scorpions are from dinosaurs.


Well,that came out...bad. My apologies. :oops:

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:24 am

Huh, I knew this thread would devolve into chaos, but I didn't expect this kind of chaos! Carry on folks, lemme just grab some popcorn.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2125
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Halley's Comet.

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby tyrantgoji » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 am

GuardianGhido wrote:Huh, I knew this thread would devolve into chaos, but I didn't expect this kind of chaos! Carry on folks, lemme just grab some popcorn.


Nah i wanted to end this long ago. Go find your controversy elsewhere Ghido. Anyone else who want's to talk about this to me just PM me.
Last edited by tyrantgoji on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ClandestineCanine9
Ronin
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:15 am
Location: the clay pit

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby ClandestineCanine9 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Rotten Tomatoes ain't poop, they've given worse movies better reviews. if anything, a rotten score is just gonna make me want to go see a movie
ゴジラ!/モスラ!/ギドラ!

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6347
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:28 pm

ClandestineCanine9 wrote:Rotten Tomatoes ain't poop, they've given worse movies better reviews. if anything, a rotten score is just gonna make me want to go see a movie

Get back to me when you go see Dark Phoenix, Sausage Party, and other bad films.

I get people having personal disagreements with rating systems, but this comment to me just represents how people want to be hyperbollically contrarian, and act like something completely harmless has affected them negatively.

I'll open the floodgates and give an example:
Yesterday, I watched Venom (2018). I have no idea why. I liked it. I had a good time watching it. I heard it was bad prior, and I enjoyed it. However, I went online, and saw that it got many bad reviews. I was curious why critics panned it (although I had my own criticisms of the film), and READ their criticisms. A lot of their criticisms made complete sense, mainly it doesn't do much to stand out against other super hero films, has some weird tonally awkward moments, poor pacing...etc...

I read those remarks and understand why people did not like the movie, and gave it a low score. I also agree with a majority of their remarks. I would not say Venom is a good film, far from it, but their criticisms did not detract from my enjoyment of the films.

This is something that has happened and gone on for so long. Films get good and bad reviews. None of you were complaining and talking poop when other unrelated to Godzilla films got panned. You guys act like you have some big moral stance against the EVIL REVIEWERS, but comic book and other movies with volatile fan bases have been given bad reviews for a long time. The funniest poop is everyone's harping on Disney, and while I agree they are shady, and I dislike a lot of their films and ethics, you act like every Disney film comes out with an 80%+ just because it's Disney. Never mind the Lion King (53%), Dumbo (47%), Aladdin (57%). Again it also shows that very few of you actually understand how RT works.

Boo-hoo, Godzilla King of the Monsters got a low score. Boo-hoo the evil American critics didn't like it for X reason. Get over yourselves. If you liked the film, great, keep liking it. Don't develop some toxic-ass mindset where everything is out to get you for some crazy "anti-Godzilla" conspiracy.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2056
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Terasawa » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:34 pm

At this point I wanna see Disney take over the Monsterverse somehow and make movies of the same quality as KOTM just to see the chaos in a certain segment of the fandom.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6347
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:37 pm

Terasawa wrote:At this point I wanna see Disney take over the Monsterverse somehow and make movies of the same quality as KOTM just to see the chaos in a certain segment of the fandom.

"The twin fairies are Asian because Disney is forcing diversity!"
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4950
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Val Verde
Contact:

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby 2004Zilla » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:24 pm

Rotten Tomatoes wasn't the one who gave KOTM a bad score, it was the critics. However, between KOTM, Rambo Last Blood, and now Joker, it is my opinion that film critics and the general audience are usually looking for something different in movies.
Last edited by 2004Zilla on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5270
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 pm

2004Zilla wrote:Rotten Tomatoes wasn't the one who gave KOTM a bad score, it was the critics. However, between KOTM, Rambo Last Blood, and now Joker, it is my opinion that film critics and the general audience are usually looking for something different in movies.

I'll add BvS to that list and 100% agree lol.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6347
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:24 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Rotten Tomatoes wasn't the one who gave KOTM a bad score, it was the critics. However, between KOTM, Rambo Last Blood, and now Joker, it is my opinion that film critics and the general audience are usually looking for something different in movies.

I'll add BvS to that list and 100% agree lol.

I feel like you should just make a list of films you like and then I'll know what to not watch :D But in all seriousness, the internet has hyperbolic "reviewers" (not the people who are on RT, that dig bad films into the ground and act like the movies assaulted their family.

I agree that there's certainly disconnect between what movies general audiences like, but I think it's misleading to say that what general audiences like equals good film making.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10187
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:52 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Rotten Tomatoes wasn't the one who gave KOTM a bad score, it was the critics. However, between KOTM, Rambo Last Blood, and now Joker, it is my opinion that film critics and the general audience are usually looking for something different in movies.

I'll add BvS to that list and 100% agree lol.


Critics are looking for flaws/execution in how things were filmed and written. GA just wants to be entertained.

I know G2014 is a more competently made movie on a technical level than G:KOTM, but I like KOTM more cause I had fun. So I guess I'm more of a viewer than a critic.
Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6347
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Rotten Tomatoes wasn't the one who gave KOTM a bad score, it was the critics. However, between KOTM, Rambo Last Blood, and now Joker, it is my opinion that film critics and the general audience are usually looking for something different in movies.

I'll add BvS to that list and 100% agree lol.


Critics are looking for flaws/execution in how things were filmed and written. GA just wants to be entertained.

I know G2014 is a more competently made movie on a technical level than G:KOTM, but I like KOTM more cause I had fun. So I guess I'm more of a viewer than a critic.

I disagree people are "looking for flaws" or at least if that's true, so is the opposite "looking for positives". I think the more films you watch, beyond a surface level analysis, the easier it is to pick up on bullshit that is bad film making. You don't have to be a critic to see some serious flaws qith certain things. I also don't see how someone can't be entertained by a well made movie.

There are certainly well-made movies that are painfully boring and I would not watch, but many well made films are entertaining. People forget a lot of 80's films were well made, and super entertaining.

Again, we would not be having this conversation if KOTM was a critical darling.

hoes mad
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Smuggers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:53 am

About the disconnect between what critics like and what audiences want, I was watching the new Half in the Bag where they echoed Scorsese's recent comments and likened "what audiences want" to amusement park rides. Guess it's the same thing here?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
kaijuguy19
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby kaijuguy19 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:50 am

2004Zilla wrote:Rotten Tomatoes wasn't the one who gave KOTM a bad score, it was the critics. However, between KOTM, Rambo Last Blood, and now Joker, it is my opinion that film critics and the general audience are usually looking for something different in movies.


I'm starting to agree. I mean the divide between critic and normal viewers was always there but things like RT and the scores that they're given out are making this more obvious and making the divide grow by the minute. I can't help but wonder if sites such as RT should reconsider how they do ratings since they seem to be doing more harm then good in the long run because it's starting to sow more conflicts between the two groups.
Blue Robotic Motorcylce ladies FTW!!!

phantomsdaydreams
Yojimbo
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby phantomsdaydreams » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:07 am

See, I go to Rottentomatoes FOR those critics' opinions though. I don't want the GA's opinion because I KNOW what people think of most movies already. The GA is usually pretty easy to predict. And if I want a mix, a lot of YouTube critics are a good choice. If critical analysis dissipates, then what's the point? RT has an audience score. There will always be a gap in enjoyment and preference between critics and the average person because as LSD Jellyfish said, when you've seen 'X' number of movies, the craft is more apparent and the same old plot comes up enough for you that you grow tired of it. It's not like they dislike movies on purpose (though there is a bias in genre, but you could say that for us as well).

On a side note, while the sheer enjoyment I get out of movie monsters outweighs some criticism of the film, I think the RT score is closer to right than wrong for me. I did enjoy the movie for what it was, but it felt...sort of empty, I guess? I wasn't left with much other than having had fun, whereas I've seen other movies that were fun AND intrigued, excited, or otherwise affected me- even other Godzilla movies.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kaijuguy19
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby kaijuguy19 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:04 am

To be honest the more I think about how some people use the argument of RT giving good scores for G14 and KSI as a way to show how not biased RT is towards Godzilla movies (not aiming towards anyone here.) The more that I can't help but wonder that if they even considered the idea that the reason why the RT critics even gave good scores for them in the first place is that both those films seem to follow the basic American monster formula and tropes they were already going to like in the first place like how G14 followed the classic Jaws tropes of showing less monsters and action so the fact that KOTM went for routes that don't follow the American tropes were not going to appeal to them anyway regardless if they're handled well or not. I'm not saying that's the case but still I can still understand how some people may still see RT as biased in those regards.

The fact that they give out great views for movies that the GA doesn't like at all such as TLJ and Captain Marvel also doesn't help to make RT look unbiased too.
Blue Robotic Motorcylce ladies FTW!!!

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Smuggers » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 am

kaijuguy19 wrote:so the fact that KOTM went for routes that don't follow the American tropes

Such as...?
kaijuguy19 wrote:The fact that they give out great views for movies that the GA doesn't like at all such as TLJ and Captain Marvel also doesn't help to make RT look unbiased too.

It's weird to me that people think RT scores are meant to reflect the consensus of the general audience. Isn't that what the audience score is for?
Last edited by Smuggers on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2056
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Terasawa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 am

Shin Godzilla’s RT score is really high, although from only 71 critics, and that film didn’t “follow American tropes.” Maybe critics just don’t like these movies when they’re as poorly made as KOTM.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan
Posts: 5824
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:45 am

I love how people treat the Audience Score in RT as gospel even though it's as full of as many discrepancies as the Tomato-Meter. For instance, the Audience Score for Justice League was a solid 72%, but that movie sucked ass from an ass while riding an ass.
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.


#Pro-Choice

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2056
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Terasawa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:53 am

Audience score is pretty worthless, IMO. It’s also ironic fans will point to that but deride the critic score because “anyone can be a film critic today.” Isn’t that the point of the stupid audience score? The hypocrisy is astounding.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gojira2K, Thegarbagemonster and 8 guests