J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:11 pm

J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:42 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/l ... ip-1232979?

Warner Brothers paid him $250 million to make movies exclusively for them.

In 2018, J.J. said that he was developing a "true" sequel to Cloverfield.

Is it possible we'll see involvement from him in the Monster Verse or see him develop a Cloverfield crossover with Godzilla or Kong?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:52 pm

I've been saying just that lol, it'd be pretty cool and I'd love to see it, but if I were to pick between a sequel or a crossover? I'd rather an OG sequel, since Cloverfield Paradox left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.


The deal also included his companies personal IPs, which no doubt means the Clover franchise.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

Online
User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6381
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/jj-abrams-officially-closes-sizable-warnermedia-film-tv-partnership-1232979?

Warner Brothers paid him $250 million to make movies exclusively for them.

In 2018, J.J. said that he was developing a "true" sequel to Cloverfield.

Is it possible we'll see involvement from him in the Monster Verse or see him develop a Cloverfield crossover with Godzilla or Kong?

Nah, Cloverfield should get a sequel, but it should not cross over into or with Godzilla or Kong. Cloverfield, the monster, is massively overated. The film's monster is the least important thing about the film. Also the article does not mention anything about Legendary or Wanda. Most like JJ will make more mystery box films.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:08 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:I've been saying just that lol, it'd be pretty cool and I'd love to see it, but if I were to pick between a sequel or a crossover? I'd rather an OG sequel, since Cloverfield Paradox left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.


The deal also included his companies personal IPs, which no doubt means the Clover franchise.

Well, we're getting a sequel. He's been developing it since 2018.

But will it be under the Warner Brothers instead of Paramount? And should he follow it up with a crossover?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby GuardianGhido » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:27 am

Just don't make adult Clovers big enough to make Anime Ghidorah look like a flea and we're cool.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby Omegamorph » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:18 am

That's a far-fetched conclusion if I've ever seen one

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby KingKaiju » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:29 am

Nah. I could definitely see JJ Abrams getting involved, if the monsterverse continues after 2020. But I honestly don't care to see the Cloverfield monster in this universe. Frankly, I don't really understand the excitedment and hype behind it either.
Image

User avatar
kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent
Posts: 723
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 am
Location: scotland
Contact:

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:35 am

I hope that he doesn't get involved with the Monsterverse, he's an overrated hack that can't tell a good story without it being a confusing mess of a mystery.

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby GuardianGhido » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:51 am

I don't know about Clover, but I could see a JJ Abrams directed MV movie possibly going well considering Cloverfield and Super 8.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Online
User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6381
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:05 am

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I hope that he doesn't get involved with the Monsterverse, he's an overrated hack that can't tell a good story without it being a confusing mess of a mystery.

Yeah. For some reason he gets all the credit for Cloverfield, even though he was just a producer. Force Awakens was good...but that was pretty much just a remake.

Again, I’d like to stress that the clovefield Monster is not important to the actual film, and the cloverfield monster is not something that should be in a Godzilla film.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

king_ghidorah
Interpol Agent
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:13 am

Omegamorph wrote:That's a far-fetched conclusion if I've ever seen one


This.

Clover field and G 14 each treat their monster as if it’s the first time mankind has seen one.

Can’t really combine these universes in a sensical way.

Also. Who would care besides like five fanboys? It’s not going to draw people to the theater. No one gives a poop about Clover

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 am

Clover has rec lol, maybe not much, but the recognition is there.

You could have New York have its first encounter with a "monster" in Cloverfield *2008*, and the following nuke that consumes the city could be covered up by Monarch. Thinking they're in the clear (especially since Monarch has known about monsters since before Kong in the 70s) until 2014 when Godzilla and the MUTOs bust out. (Plus has New York even been mentioned in the MV yet? Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :lol:)

It's not about who would care, that's not how filmmakers look at things, it's about what would make for the best overall cohesive story, and if JJ really does want to make a direct sequel to Cloverfield like he said in 2018, then what better way of connecting loose ends than by having his creature exist in the world that his creature was based off of?

It's like poetry, it rhymes.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
MothraRocks
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3268
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Celadon City! Well, almost.

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby MothraRocks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:51 am

I really don't care for Clover being in the Monsterverse, I would much rather him stay in his own franchise and Legendary either using more Toho kaiju or using more original ones.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

User avatar
NSZ
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4348
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Remnant

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby NSZ » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:03 am

_JNavs_ wrote:covered up


It was on the news. The monster was on the news. The parasites were on the news. Broadcast live.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."
Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:04 am

NSZ wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:covered up


It was on the news. The monster was on the news. The parasites were on the news. Broadcast live.

It was the Russians
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4704
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby G2000 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:11 am

_JNavs_ wrote:Clover has rec lol, maybe not much, but the recognition is there.

You could have New York have its first encounter with a "monster" in Cloverfield *2008*, and the following nuke that consumes the city could be covered up by Monarch.Thinking they're in the clear (especially since Monarch has known about monsters since before Kong in the 70s) until 2014 when Godzilla and the MUTOs bust out.


People keep saying things like this for kaiju films and I can't stand it.

You can't just cover up a giant monster attacking a major city. Not in 1954, not in 2008, definitely not today. There's far too many eyewitnesses - civilians, emergency services, military personnel, government figures, etc.. Far too many media outlets covering the rampage. Too much damage and lasting evidence like footprints and possibly shed skin or blood or what have you that can't just be hidden. Too many pictures and videos, especially by the time 2008 rolls around (hell, Cloverfield is literally about a random civvie with a handheld camera recording the monster's attack).

And you definitely can't cover up a city getting nuked. At best you could obfuscate the circumstances surrounding why and how the city got nuked, but it's impossible to just up and convince everyone it never happened.

I know I got ninja'd by NSZ but even so
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:02 am

G2000 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Clover has rec lol, maybe not much, but the recognition is there.

You could have New York have its first encounter with a "monster" in Cloverfield *2008*, and the following nuke that consumes the city could be covered up by Monarch.Thinking they're in the clear (especially since Monarch has known about monsters since before Kong in the 70s) until 2014 when Godzilla and the MUTOs bust out.


People keep saying things like this for kaiju films and I can't stand it.

You can't just cover up a giant monster attacking a major city. Not in 1954, not in 2008, definitely not today. There's far too many eyewitnesses - civilians, emergency services, military personnel, government figures, etc.. Far too many media outlets covering the rampage. Too much damage and lasting evidence like footprints and possibly shed skin or blood or what have you that can't just be hidden. Too many pictures and videos, especially by the time 2008 rolls around (hell, Cloverfield is literally about a random civvie with a handheld camera recording the monster's attack).

And you definitely can't cover up a city getting nuked. At best you could obfuscate the circumstances surrounding why and how the city got nuked, but it's impossible to just up and convince everyone it never happened.

I know I got ninja'd by NSZ but even so

While I get what you mean, I think a good example countering that would be the *actual* Battle of Los Angeles from way back in the day, and how public opinion has been swayed over time.

But what I bolded is essentially what I meant.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14044
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:07 am

An example from before the time of social media, personal recording devices and mass media isn't exactly what I'd describe as a "good counter".
Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 am

The example was more directed at the bolded text, but overall it's not the best example. Just one that we happened to have gone through in real life.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Postby Terasawa » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:45 am

If the first Cloverfield was retconned into the Monsterverse, would anyone besides MV fans really care that the events don’t align?

Is that alone enough to stop Joe Moviegoer from buying a ticket?
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests