Is the Monsterverse doomed to begin with?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Is the Monsterverse doomed to begin with?

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:08 am

To be fair ROTF was a hilarious movie, like Michael Bay said F it, everybody be yourselves and pyrotechnics blow everything up.

Plenty of memorable scenes in that movie.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:To be fair ROTF was a hilarious movie, like Michael Bay said F it, everybody be yourselves and pyrotechnics blow everything up.

All I remember is being severely disappointed like all the other Bay films, only Jet Fire was done somewhat right in ROTF.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:07 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:To be fair ROTF was a hilarious movie, like Michael Bay said F it, everybody be yourselves and pyrotechnics blow everything up.

All I remember is being severely disappointed like all the other Bay films, only Jet Fire was done somewhat right in ROTF.

It really depends on where you where at during it's release, like at the time, kids my age were just hyped to see transformers, Megan the Fox, and Shia Laboeuf act like a lunatic (great stuff mind you). Plus the third wheel conspiracy guy, Leo, and the Ex-FBI guy who worked in the Pastrami shop had great chemistry, with one of my favorite moments being their very first exchange in said Pastrami shop. Now to be fair, it really isn't a good "Transformers" movie by any means, which we all know, but the actors definitely had tons of fun with the script and it showed in the final product, which is mainly why I enjoy the film so much.

And to reconnect this to the topic, the Monsterverse isn't doomed, but if it was, Shia would save the franchise.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Apprentice.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:34 am

The monsterverse had 1 underperformer after two successful films, it isn't doomed till after Godzilla vs Kong if that films underpeforms.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Godzillabrawler
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Godzillabrawler » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:10 am

UltramanGoji wrote:[...] It wasn't a case of "what else is there to do", it was a case of "what is there to do that can be better than Godzilla vs. Kong".

None of that is anywhere near as hype-worthy as GvK. [...]

I know this is an older post, but "Destroy All Monsters" has name recognition at least amongst folks older than me, people in my dad's generation (40's to late 50's age range). Godzilla vs Kong is one potential endgame, but DAM in concept alone plus the name is probably a safe bet. It'd be more akin to Avengers than GvK, which strikes me as more Batman vs Superman.

I honestly think Ultraman and Gamera could be successful, or at least Gamera, given that even if no one knows who they are really, a lot of people at least recognize the giant turtle monster. Ultraman is often referenced by that same older generation, they always mistake Jet Jaguar and him for the same person. Unfortunately I think they're both impossible given Toho's involvement, although I'd love to be wrong.

Sorry if the current conversation in the thread has deviated from this, just wanted to interject my two cents.
Last edited by Godzillabrawler on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:42 am

KotM performed reasonably well in a summer suffering from extreme blockbuster fatigue. If anything it proved the franchise has better legs than we would have thought.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:00 am

Ivo-goji wrote:KotM performed reasonably well in a summer suffering from extreme blockbuster fatigue. If anything it proved the franchise has better legs than we would have thought.

That's a pretty nice way to look at it. The movie had some bad marketing and even worse timing and yet managed to draw enough of a crowd to almost make it to the 400 million range with black holes like Endgame and Aladdin around. I hearrd the movie managed to break even too, which (if true) is a huge relief compared to our thoughts on the BO situation early on. I'm definitely hoping GvK can right the ship for the MV to continue its smooth sailing. I'd really prefer if the MCU wasn't the only successful shared universe.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:36 am

Kotm didn't do well but as I said. Two huge movies before it and 4 huge movies after it, I want to see Godzilla vs Kong's numbers before we write off the MV.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”