Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Re: Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

Postby Orichalcum » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:37 am

It'd have to be some big train for that to work
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

ClandestineCanine9
Ronin

Postby ClandestineCanine9 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:20 pm

I could see Godzilla turning on humanity under certain circumstances. several good ideas in this thread. hopefully if LP goes that route they do it right and don't skreeonk it up by making Godzilla pull a 180 for no reason
ゴジラ!/モスラ!/ギドラ!

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:14 am

Almost everyone here is talking about Godzilla turning evil on his own terms,but wouldn't mind control be the obvious way? ;)

MothraRocks
EDF Soldier

Postby MothraRocks » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 am

^As cool as that would be, KOTM kinda established that certain monsters that fall into the "Alpha" class of Titans (Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah) don't really respond to the ORCA or other Titan controls.

I would like to see Godzilla eventually take on an antagonistic role, albeit briefly. Maybe have it so humans have become complacent, thinking Godzilla is always gonna back them up and defend them from other monsters. Then, when Godzilla is off fighting a monster or something, another one pops up, and the army decides "just nuke this one while Godzilla deals with the other" as a quick one and done. The monster dies, but Godzilla recognizes the damage that humans have done to the world and ecosystem and attacks a city. Or, could even show him not really responding when another monster attacks, unless it gets in his way.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician

Postby DirektorSplennic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:42 pm

MothraRocks wrote:^As cool as that would be, KOTM kinda established that certain monsters that fall into the "Alpha" class of Titans (Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah) don't really respond to the ORCA or other Titan controls.

I would like to see Godzilla eventually take on an antagonistic role, albeit briefly. Maybe have it so humans have become complacent, thinking Godzilla is always gonna back them up and defend them from other monsters. Then, when Godzilla is off fighting a monster or something, another one pops up, and the army decides "just nuke this one while Godzilla deals with the other" as a quick one and done. The monster dies, but Godzilla recognizes the damage that humans have done to the world and ecosystem and attacks a city. Or, could even show him not really responding when another monster attacks, unless it gets in his way.

Ghidorah followed the Orca every time it was activated though, sending him into a blind rage after it.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 am

DirektorSplennic wrote:
MothraRocks wrote:^As cool as that would be, KOTM kinda established that certain monsters that fall into the "Alpha" class of Titans (Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah) don't really respond to the ORCA or other Titan controls.

Ghidorah followed the Orca every time it was activated though, sending him into a blind rage after it.

According to the novelization, it was set to "piercing frequencies" that hurt his three pairs of ultra sensitive ears so he needed to get rid of it or have it stop to alleviate the excruciating pain in his ears.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician

Postby DirektorSplennic » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 am

Huh, that's interesting. Kinda wish that was explained in the movie. Makes sense why he tries to murder the Orca everytime it's turned on.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 am

DirektorSplennic wrote:Huh, that's interesting. Kinda wish that was explained in the movie. Makes sense why he tries to murder the Orca everytime it's turned on.

He does visibly recoil and make a pained screech and face when it's turned on in Antarctica and even drops the nearly unconscious Godzillla to go after it in Boston.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:28 am

I don't think Godzilla has ever really been a hero or villain. Saving us is just a by product of him getting rid of the pests.

Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:53 am

KingKaiju wrote:I don't think Godzilla has ever really been a hero or villain. Saving us is just a by product of him getting rid of the pests.

No, he's definitely depicted as a hero on film. Not neutral. The flood in Hawaii aside, he's never even neutrally killed a single person on screen.

He swam next to and deliberately dodged aircraft carriers. He was trying to figure out how to navigate through the Golden Gate bridge, until the military shot him and provoked him to walk through it like a bunch of bees swarming. If I recall, Madi's brother was an accident from the Muto knocking into him.

It's strongly implied he views humans like a Titan (who should be preserved) since humans were part the Orca call.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I don't think Godzilla has ever really been a hero or villain. Saving us is just a by product of him getting rid of the pests.

No, he's definitely depicted as a hero on film. Not neutral. The flood in Hawaii aside, he's never even neutrally killed a single person on screen.

He swam next to and deliberately dodged aircraft carriers. He was trying to figure out how to navigate through the Golden Gate bridge, until the military shot him and provoked him to walk through it like a bunch of bees swarming. If I recall, Madi's brother was an accident from the Muto knocking into him.

It's strongly implied he views humans like a Titan (who should be preserved) since humans were part the Orca call.

This, he’s pretty much the most heroic Godzilla since the 70s but people are pretty deep in denial about it
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Olzh26
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Olzh26 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Well, the artbook said that Godzilla does not protect people, but solves his own problems during which it accidentally saves people. these words belonged to the producer

Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Olzh26 wrote:

Well, the artbook said that Godzilla does not protect people, but solves his own problems during which it accidentally saves people. these words belonged to the producer

You're using out of film stuff to retcon stuff in film. Whatever human causalities there are directly caused by Godzilla, are not shown on screen. It's a deliberate choice to depict the character as heroic, not neutral. And it's only getting more and more on the nose and buddy-buddy as the humans actively work with Godzilla and take advantage of a symbiotic relationship with him.

He definitely has some sort of cognitive process going on telling him not kill humans by deliberately avoiding aircraft carriers, trying to avoid destruction unless pushed into it (the bridge), and not blasting Serizawa's ship. He physically responds to interactions with humans with facial expressions (Ford and Serizawa). Definitely not neutral. Definitely a hero, although a stoic one.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Olzh26
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Olzh26 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Olzh26 wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:No, he's definitely depicted as a hero on film. Not neutral. The flood in Hawaii aside, he's never even neutrally killed a single person on screen.

You're using out of film stuff to retcon stuff in film. Whatever human causalities there are directly caused by Godzilla, are not shown on screen. It's a deliberate choice to depict the character as heroic, not neutral. And it's only getting more and more on the nose and buddy-buddy as the humans actively work with Godzilla and take advantage of a symbiotic relationship with him.

He definitely has some sort of cognitive process going on telling him not kill humans by deliberately avoiding aircraft carriers, trying to avoid destruction unless pushed into it (the bridge), and not blasting Serizawa's ship. He physically responds to interactions with humans with facial expressions (Ford and Serizawa). Definitely not neutral. Definitely a hero, although a stoic one.

symbiotic relationships do not imply any kind of affection between the two species. This is only a partnership for mutual benefit. also these connections do not provide people with protection from Godzilla, when he does not need our service, he will crush them without problems (like a symbiosis of a wild boar and mongooses). Yes, and Dougherty himself said that this connection was broken so that Godzilla has no reason and doesn’t care about people. and why does everyone forget about various incidents with Godzilla attacks on ships that were mentioned in 2014?

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:53 am

He did also smash through a bridge and kill a bunch of people...

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”