Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Olzh26
Yin-Yang Master

Re: Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

Postby Olzh26 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:22 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:Godzilla is more concerned about his life and not some kind of abstract natural balance that doesn't bother him. This is just a metaphor for the monarch’s most religious worker. all the more, according to Mark, it has already been established that Godzilla just cares about his survival and status

I suppose so but that doesn't change the fact that he has a job as protector of nature and apex predator too. Otherwise why would he chase the MUTOs and Shinomura around so relentlessly?

Yeah he does definitely care about his own life and was quite pissed when he first emerged and saw the humans and would have probably killed them if he didn't realize that they were on his side. He's smart enough to differentiate between humans that threaten him and are against nature, humans that help him and are in tune with nature, and humans that just do their own thing and are a small part of nature.

This is the vibe I'm getting from this Godzilla really. He's more than just an animal that protects itself, but not exactly a superhero that wants to actively protect all life either. He just wants what's best for the world's natural order. Whether that means protecting humans, attacking them, or even just ignoring them, he'll fulfill his duty as the guardian of the balance of nature. He might just do this coincidentially as an apex predator with normal animal behavior, but there's no question that there's some deeper though behind his actions too, as seen when he looks the human characters in the eye and we can tell that he's thinking something about them.

Well, yes, in a way, it is. Godzilla is the highest predator and the whole Earth is its territory, he, like any other animal, will protect its territory. From the perspective of human characters, this can be called restoration of balance. about muto and shinamuro: it has already been established that he hunted them to prevent his death. mutos multiply very quickly and ultimately could displace Godzilla by the number and Shinamuro, as stated in the comic, grows very progressively and can become so large that even Godzilla does not stop it. there are no divine motives. Godzilla is just an animal, albeit very smart. But okay. I won’t persuade you. Everyone has their own vision. ;)
Last edited by Olzh26 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:25 am

Olzh26 wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:Godzilla is more concerned about his life and not some kind of abstract natural balance that doesn't bother him. This is just a metaphor for the monarch’s most religious worker. all the more, according to Mark, it has already been established that Godzilla just cares about his survival and status

I suppose so but that doesn't change the fact that he has a job as protector of nature and apex predator too. Otherwise why would he chase the MUTOs and Shinomura around so relentlessly?

Yeah he does definitely care about his own life and was quite pissed when he first emerged and saw the humans and would have probably killed them if he didn't realize that they were on his side. He's smart enough to differentiate between humans that threaten him and are against nature, humans that help him and are in tune with nature, and humans that just do their own thing and are a small part of nature.

This is the vibe I'm getting from this Godzilla really. He's more than just an animal that protects itself, but not exactly a superhero that wants to actively protect all life either. He just wants what's best for the world's natural order. Whether that means protecting humans, attacking them, or even just ignoring them, he'll fulfill his duty as the guardian of the balance of nature. He might just do this coincidentially as an apex predator with normal animal behavior, but there's no question that there's some deeper though behind his actions too, as seen when he looks the human characters in the eye and we can tell that he's thinking something about them.

Well, yes, in a way, it is. Godzilla is the highest predator and the whole Earth is its territory, he, like any other animal, will protect its territory. From the perspective of human characters, this can be called restoration of balance. about muto and shinamuro: it has already been established that he hunted them to prevent his death. mutos multiply very quickly and ultimately could displace Godzilla by the number and Shinamuro, as stated in the comic, grows very progressively and can become so large that even Godzilla does not stop it. there are no divine motives. Godzilla is just an animal, albeit very smart. But okay. I won’t persuade you. Everyone has their own vision. ;)

Huh, so there ARE people who have good sense in these forums! I'm really grateful that you accepted me having my own vision! Not a lot of people here are willing to do that. It means a lot, so thanks! Your point of view is also perfectly well, we should all just accept that we all have different views on the character. It's why things like that are left to interpretation and why Godzilla is a complex character overall.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:34 am

If you really wanna see Godzilla destroy Naval ships at sea, or some military base (like I do) just have a large terrorist group like Alan have their hands on military weapons. Godzilla is still the hero and we get to see him blow jets out of the sky, have your cake and eat it too.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:06 am

Preferably no, I like this heroic depiction of Godzilla Legendary has gone for and would like him to remain that way

Living Corpse wrote:If you really wanna see Godzilla destroy Naval ships at sea, or some military base (like I do) just have a large terrorist group like Alan have their hands on military weapons. Godzilla is still the hero and we get to see him blow jets out of the sky, have your cake and eat it too.

Kind of implausible though for even a well-funded terrorist group to have the resources necessary to maintain an air force of any size
I mean yeah the Red Bamboo had jets but even so
You might could get away with something like that if you had a terrorist group with either explicit or heavily implied state backing (for example, the suggestion I’ve seen bandied about of a rebooted Red Bamboo either being sponsored by or a part of the DPRK or PRC)
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 am

I still want Alan to get the same treatment Mr.Shindo got. Except this time,there's no sympathy :twisted:

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:41 am

tyrantgoji wrote:I still want Alan to get the same treatment Mr.Shindo got. Except this time,there's no sympathy :twisted:

Me too, it really is too bad he doesn’t seem to be returning anytime soon. It’s going to really suck if they write him out in GvK by killing him offscreen or something equally stupid

If a human villain does get dispatched by a monster in GvK though I feel they’ll reserve that role for Kong, given how he kills Samuel L. Jackson in K:SI. Either that or the Teamup Monster eats him like Agent Pike in the G’94 script

Tangentially related, I’ve always wanted to see a movie where Godzilla catches the human villain in his claws and then crushes the bad guy in his fist. Bill Stout’s storyboards from the shelved Steve Miner-Fred Dekker 3D film from 1983 show that was how at one point that story’s human villain, KGB agent Boris Kruschov, was to be killed (the two available versions of the script differ; in the first draft Godzilla flambés Boris before eating his charred skeleton, while a later draft simply had Godzilla incinerate the spy without eating him, presumably at Toho’s request).
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:19 am

After that line in KOTM, it literally makes no sense if he doesn’t

Gamera 2 has a similar line at the end, and we saw that payoff at the beginning of part 3
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 am

TBF,Gamera didn't really turn evil in Revenge of Iris. He just got overwhelmed by all the Gyaos's invading and became reckless. Something similar can happen with Godzilla (maybe have the Skullcrawlers fill in for the Gyaos's)

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:54 am

No one's asking for Godzilla to become an evil villain and if that's what this threads intention was- it's idiotic

Godzilla's not some super crusader for da people in these movies like some of you seem to think :lol:
Long Live The Sting

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:31 pm

G2000 wrote:Kind of implausible though for even a well-funded terrorist group to have the resources necessary to maintain an air force of any size
)

Yeah but it's a movie. Gotta leave reality at home for parts and let fantasy reign to have a movie.

I mean yeah the Red Bamboo had jets but even so
You might could get away with something like that if you had a terrorist group with either explicit or heavily implied state backing (for example, the suggestion I’ve seen bandied about of a rebooted Red Bamboo either being sponsored by or a part of the DPRK or PRC

IIRC Red Bamboo was heavily implied to be funded by China in their movie. Course if they go that route best to leave it vague on which world power is funding the bad guys, or heck imply it's multiple.

Added in 1 minute 2 seconds:
tyrantgoji wrote:I still want Alan to get the same treatment Mr.Shindo got. Except this time,there's no sympathy :twisted:

Or the two future dudes in the same movie. People seem to forget we saw evil humans suffer the same fate in the same movie. ;)

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:38 pm

The Red Bamboo were never heavily implied to be funded by China in the movie.
Long Live The Sting

Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent

Postby Dracosaurian » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:08 pm

No. He's fine the way he currently is imo. This largely neutral take on Godzilla is pretty refreshing right now.

Olzh26
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Olzh26 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:20 am

Dracosaurian wrote:No. He's fine the way he currently is imo. This largely neutral take on Godzilla is pretty refreshing right now.

even if Godzilla “turns its back” on humanity, he will remain neutral. he does not kill people for "evil all over the world", but for his survival

Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent

Postby Dracosaurian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 am

Olzh26 wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:No. He's fine the way he currently is imo. This largely neutral take on Godzilla is pretty refreshing right now.

even if Godzilla “turns its back” on humanity, he will remain neutral. he does not kill people for "evil all over the world", but for his survival

I would not want to see this Godzilla switch into a villain/"turn his back humanity". Plain and simple.
Last edited by Dracosaurian on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:44 am

Olzh26 wrote:even if Godzilla “turns its back” on humanity, he will remain neutral. he does not kill people for "evil all over the world", but for his survival

This.

Think more like how Gamera was in the third Heisei movie and the dialogue from end of the second movie.

SG-17
Interpol Agent

Postby SG-17 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:37 am

Absolutely not. Evil/Antagonistic Godzilla is exhausting at this point. Let that be Toho's shtick and let Legendary keep making Hero Godzilla.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 am

Stump Feet wrote:Godzilla's not some super crusader for da people in these movies like some of you seem to think :lol:

There's a feverish devotion to making Godzilla some superhero. I'm convinced people just want to escape reality and not feel bad for their favorite living nuclear weapon being the good guy. I thought the series was supposed to move away from the bad and cheesy Showa films WTF??!!
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:29 am

Some fans only want a "bad and cheesy Showa" Godzilla when it's convenient.

It's pretty comical to go back through some of these folks past comments from 2014 and up to find them now doing a complete 180
Long Live The Sting

SG-17
Interpol Agent

Postby SG-17 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:35 am

Bad and cheesy Showa encompasses only a handful of films. Raids Again, Kong, Revenge, Gigan, Megalon. The rest of Showa era ranges from good to fantastic.

1954, Mothra vs, Invasion, DAM, and Mechagodzilla at the very least are fantastic, and what do you know but in three of them Godzilla is a hero.

Hero Godzilla is not bound to a specific level of quality or "cheesiness".

And I'll add that KotM is on the level of films like Invasion and DAM.
Last edited by SG-17 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:42 am

I hate to break it to yah, but you missed the point entirely
Long Live The Sting

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”