Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Godzilla back in 2014. He dodged aircraft carriers, only walked through the Golden Gate bridge when he was shot, and shared a moment of eye contact with Ford- which was whimsical in a way. They could have made him a terrifying force of destruction and an allegory for nuclear destruction, but they showed restraint and made him good. King of the Monsters went even further with this.

Wouldn't it break your heart to see him get betrayed and turn on humanity? :cry:

---

Should he become a villain at some point like 1954 and Shin Godzilla?
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

Post by Stump Feet »

I'm not saying he needs to be the evil villain, but if he doesn't turn his back on humanity in some way, that throwaway line tacked onto the end of KOTM's becomes all the more stupid
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Thing is, he's never been completely on our side in the first place. His only priority is keeping nature well balanced. If that means smashing a few cities or bases (ones holding superweapons that can disrupt the balance of nature?), he's gonna do so without hesitation. Generally human activities have been well under his radar and are going even further below with the Titans undoing the destruction wrought by our pollution and stuff so he really has no reason to attack us unless we attack him or his subjects or do something else that could damage nature significantly enough for him to notice. While from a human perspective he could be taken as an antagonist of a movie or two if he attacks humans purposely to keep them in check after they do something stupid, I don't think he'll ever be seen as fully villainous, especially with Monarch around, they know what's up.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

I do not like the image of the heroic Godzilla. it is rather a feature of Gamera. therefore, I hope that in the end he will “turn his back” from humanity.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I’m personally against the idea of this Godzilla becoming a villain. I get what was said in KOTM, but making him just suddenly out for humanity would make Serizawa’s sacrifice pointless.

I wouldn’t mind if they tackled the idea in some form, however. Maybe Godzilla is at a tense point with humanity and becomes more reckless until a new threat forces both sides to work together or something. The idea can work, but I just hope they don’t paint Godzilla as a full fledged villain after they spent two movies building him up as a protagonist.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I'd be OK with something like Godzilla intentionally fighting back from army attacks after one too many shots or something like that, but making a hero a bad guy all of a sudden is starting to get old fast *cough*FateOfTheFurious*cough*

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

He's fine as is, and this is coming from a guy who thinks he's best as a villain, neutral or anti-hero. Super hero Godzilla is the one audiences are most familiar with because of reruns of the 70's films and we hadn't had a hero Godzilla in a long time.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yeah it's more interesting
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

A villain Godzilla wouldn’t fit this version. I was for it before GKOTM but showing Godzilla having a friendly history with humans since practically the dawn of time makes it seem very unlikely he’d just switch and for it to make sense.

The one exception. If humans make an Mechagodzilla or do something particularly heinous in the eyes of Godzilla I can see him going angry god mode for a bit.

Otherwise. Wait to do evil or chaotic neutral Godzilla with the next Japanese reboot

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Yeah it's more interesting
What is your avatar?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Living Corpse wrote:He's fine as is, and this is coming from a guy who thinks he's best as a villain, neutral or anti-hero. Super hero Godzilla is the one audiences are most familiar with because of reruns of the 70's films and we hadn't had a hero Godzilla in a long time.
Not only the 1970s films, but also the Hanna-Barbera TV series and, to a lesser extent, the Marvel Comics comic book series, both of which were released in the same decade.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Living Corpse wrote: What is your avatar?
Secret Of The Telegian
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Yeah. It’s the western version of what Godzilla is.

I think most of us would agree that it isn’t our favorite take on Godzilla but it’s the one audiences want and accept.

For my money the best depictions of Godzilla are GvKG and G2K. Godzilla flips between villain, hero, and back to villain all within one film. That’s perfect Godzilla to me.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

king_ghidorah wrote: The one exception. If humans make an Mechagodzilla or do something particularly heinous in the eyes of Godzilla I can see him going angry god mode for a bit.
I could see Godzilla having a son or meeting Biollante. And the humans bomb the area and kill the monster. And Godzilla "punishes" them like that atomic breath scene in Shin as a message to not fuck with him again...
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

king_ghidorah wrote:Yeah. It’s the western version of what Godzilla is.

I think most of us would agree that it isn’t our favorite take on Godzilla but it’s the one audiences want and accept.

For my money the best depictions of Godzilla are GvKG and G2K. Godzilla flips between villain, hero, and back to villain all within one film. That’s perfect Godzilla to me.
I think the audience can accept a villain Godzilla, the ads for 2014 made it seem like he was closer to Heisei Godzilla, it's just to make him go villain now, event temporary, after setting him up as a hero for two films....you'd have to work really hard to make it convincing.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kudos for this thread. Now this is one potential turning point in the saga of the Monsterverse that could serve as a saving grace. Godzilla will realize that humanity is responsible for nature going out of balance and turn against us.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It certainly is my favorite take on the character. He's a walking tsunami that takes shiit from absolutely nothing and no one, he doesn't care if you're good, bad, he just goes about his prehistoric lifestyle as always, wiping the smiles off of parasites and space aliens, and assumingly stomping out giant gorillas for the title of King, What's there not to like?

He's not a good guy but has been shown to defend the little guys (us) indirectly.

He's not a bad guy, but he wouldn't hesitate to blow us to smithereens if we step out of line.

Would i be cool if we had an antagonistic perspective on some of these situations? Sure of course, that's a whole sandbox they could really play with. I'd love to see it.

(Side note: why would Godzilla waste his time and atomic blast one person in the side of the window? Can't see a reason why Godzilla would do it in 2019, unless he knows exactly how and why said person has bothered him in some way)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

Should’ve started out as one.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Meh, too usual for the character.

Every Heisei film and the majority of Millenium films have him out to be the bad guy. Even the "Reiwa" films have that idea in mind. I like the neutral type.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

The definitive answer is no. It contradicts everything that they've established. Literally the only reason people have to believe this Godzilla may go villainous in future is one tiny, most likely insignificant line of dialogue, "For now". That line in no way indicates Godzilla will go villainous in the future.

But let's say that the writers of Godzilla vs Kong do something that should never be done, go full ------. Well then they are pissing on Serizawa's entire character. Serizawa, the biggest Godzilla fan on the planet, the man who says "trust in Gojira"...ends up looking dumb when Godzilla is murdering humanity left and right. It makes his sacrifice asinine as well. It also would make Mark Russell's arc stupid and pointless. Mark starts off as hating Godzilla...then ends up liking him. Then Godzilla turns villainous...and suddenly Mark should've kept his original feelings towards Godzilla.

This is a Godzilla that has an ancient relationship with humanity, a Godzilla that has never (purposely) caused any destruction or deaths, a Godzilla that has been shown to save the day on numerous occasions, a Godzilla that is literally said to be protecting cities from other Titans... It makes NO sense to turn him into a villain

And to the fans wanting a villainous Godzilla - GREAT news, there's a ton of films where Godzilla is the villain. You can watch derpy, terribly designed, statue Godzilla in 'Shin Godzilla', you can watch the atrocious anime trilogy, the original '54 film, the beginning of the Showa and Heisei series, the majority of the Millennium series... how about something a little different?
Last edited by Moogabunga on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.