Should Maddie be the Monsterverse’s new lead?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
UltramanGoji

Re: Should Maddie be the Monsterverse’s new lead?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:The little boy from King of the Monsters? No. He annoyed me honestly.

It pissed me off that Ghidorah had so much trouble killing him and his mom. It reminded me of Zilla acting clumsy in new york and not being able to catch a car.
what

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:The little boy from King of the Monsters? No. He annoyed me honestly.

It pissed me off that Ghidorah had so much trouble killing him and his mom. It reminded me of Zilla acting clumsy in new york and not being able to catch a car.
what
I really had to suspend my disbelief when King Ghidorah had trouble killing one kid in a building. He didn't even fully destroy the orca. Every time Ghidorah tried chasing a vehicle and had the hardest time destroying it, it just reminded me of Godzilla 98. With Godzilla chasing Matthew Broadrick's car for 10 minutes.

This kid's only purpose was to scream, smile for the camera, and act stupid. No. I don't want him back.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

That's Millie Bobbie Brown. She's not a boy.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

what
I really had to suspend my disbelief when King Ghidorah had trouble killing one kid in a building. He didn't even fully destroy the orca. Every time Ghidorah tried chasing a vehicle and had the hardest time destroying it, it just reminded me of Godzilla 98. With Godzilla chasing Matthew Broadrick's car for 10 minutes.

This kid's only purpose was to scream, smile for the camera, and act stupid. No. I don't want him back.
You.....*DO* realize Madison was a girl, yes?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

2004Zilla wrote:That's Millie Bobbie Brown. She's not a boy.
Could have fooled me. She definitely looked like a boy.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Yes, that eye makeup is very (traditional) masculine.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is she doomed to play androgynous girls forever?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote:
Is she doomed to play androgynous girls forever?
Clearly.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Is this supposed to be a joke because it's really distasteful and not funny in the slightest.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Stump Feet wrote:
Is this supposed to be a joke because it's really distasteful and not funny in the slightest.
I mean, I can understand this statement. But no lie, him actually thinking she was a he made me chuckle. Hope nobody ever takes him to a drag show... He'll wake up with one hellova surprise (and funny walk).
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Now that made me chuckle.
Long Live The Sting

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

They refer to her as a girl several times in the movie, if you somehow couldn't tell just by looking at and hearing her I really don't know how you'd miss that unless you genuinely weren't paying attention

Though I will say Destroyer of Worlds evidently isn't unique, during the run-up to this film I saw multiple people mistake her for a boy somehow
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Like did nobody she her at the red carpet premieres u gotta be blind if you thought she was a boy.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Like did nobody she her at the red carpet premieres u gotta be blind if you thought she was a boy.
Or listen to her voice?
Long Live The Sting

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: I really had to suspend my disbelief when King Ghidorah had trouble killing one kid in a building. He didn't even fully destroy the orca. Every time Ghidorah tried chasing a vehicle and had the hardest time destroying it, it just reminded me of Godzilla 98. With Godzilla chasing Matthew Broadrick's car for 10 minutes.
I just think of it this way, how easy is it to find and step on one tiny mouse in a forest overgrown with bushes/trees/branches/rocks etc? It would be really hard to find it and keep it in your sight as it scurried and tried to hide. KG had to be pretty exhausted by then after all the fighting too, maybe he didnt want to just blast gravity beams wildly for one little car he knew he'd eventually catch. Toying with her and making sport of it.
Last edited by Relair on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

This version of King Ghidorah is a confirmed sadist, preferring to, “play”, with his food before he murders it just for the shits and giggles. My own head canon is that Ghidorah knew good and well that he could easily kill Maddie within the stadium, but instead, he decided to destroy her only cover piece by piece and essentially force her out of hiding. With her out in the open, Ghidorah could then just vaporize her up close and personal, something that this version seems to love to do.

Plus, it’s Millie Bobbie Brown; anyone expecting for her plot armor to not have been insanely thick was fooling themselves.

#BotM

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Well considering how little we actually saw of her in KOTM, I think MBB did a fantastic job with the character. One of the more well-acted human characters IMO. I'd really be down for her being an MV lead because I felt she was vastly underutilized in KOTM. The teasers and some trailers seemed to paint her as a main character who's POV we'd end up following but that later gets shifted to Mark instead (Kyle Chandler did a great job but the character itself is not really as engaging as Maddie with his strawman kaiju hater cliche IMO).

Having her be a recurring central character would really help audiences slowly connect with her as a MV main character the same way we might have with Dr. Serizawa if he wasn't killed off in his second skreeonking appearance. (It was done in a heavy hearted emotional way though, so that's alirght) or Dr. Graham if she wasn't tossed in the garbage like a random nobody. (no excuse for this one, why the skreeonk would you do dis). I think if the MV really wants to draw in audiences, they're gonna need more than just the monster themselves as the main characters, MBB could fill this role as Madison as she seems like a great actress from what we got and she might really shine with a bigger role. (And the little boost from Stranger Things would help too. Not by much but still)

This is my opinion though, I really like MBB's performance from both Stranger Things and KOTM and feel like she could carry the role of MV's lead quite well, but I do understand that Maddie being the lead isn't everyone's cup of tea. (I myself would have preferred Dr. Serizawa even more if he survived)
Godzilla165 wrote:This version of King Ghidorah is a confirmed sadist, preferring to, “play”, with his food before he murders it just for the shits and giggles. My own head canon is that Ghidorah knew good and well that he could easily kill Maddie within the stadium, but instead, he decided to destroy her only cover piece by piece and essentially force her out of hiding. With her out in the open, Ghidorah could then just vaporize her up close and personal, something that this version seems to love to do.
Also, I agree with all of this. KG actually saw the exact location of Maddie through the window and instead of smashing through and chomping her, waited for her to turn around and notice him, actually smirked, and waited for her to start running before blasting the building and surrounding area. Then when she threw the ORCA down, he made sure to smash it first and then look straight at her, making it clear that he's not just here for the ORCA, but also here to murder a child after scaring her. Only then does he start charging up but then Goji shows up.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

I agree with the sadist interpretation. Makes Ghidorah that much more menacing and gives him a great character flaw.

Maddie is definitely a good stepping stone into the larger MV being someone who can grow up with Monarch in the movies.
Last edited by Saansilt on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Ghidorah wasn't the only sadist in the movie. You all saw Rodan smirk before destroying a bunch of jets with that kickass barrel roll.

I love how emotive all the monsters are in this movie.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Madison is fine as a character but I don't find her compelling enough to be the lead of the Monsterverse, she's fine as a support character and I think Mark Russell or Rick Stanton would be better leads but in an ideal world where Serizawa didn't sacrifice himself, he'd be the main lead in my opinion, hell if Joe Brody wasn't killed, he'd be an excellent lead in the Monsterverse.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse