So what happened to San Francisco and Las Vegas?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Breakdown
Keizer

So what happened to San Francisco and Las Vegas?

Post by Breakdown »

Emma explains that wherever the Titans go, their radiation spurs life to grow again and then shows time-lapse footage of Janjira, San Franscisco and Vegas being overgrown with plant life. Did this actually happen to the cities in-universe or is it just to show the effects of Titan radiation?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: So what happened to San Francisco and Las Vegas?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Uh I'm really sure that wasn't a projection but supposed to be actual day by day footage sped up. Not a case of 'in a mere ten years the growth will be that of one hundred years.' So I'm pretty that was what had actually happened.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Radiation is not the cause of a wildlife upsurge in reality, but it seems GKOTM didn't have its facts straight. It's the absence of human activity and the habitat loss that comes with said activity. Acute radiation poisoning would kill almost all wildlife in the immediate area. Only years later would there be a rebound. That's assuming that Godzilla deposits harmful isotopes with long half lives, though.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:Radiation is not the cause of a wildlife upsurge in reality, but it seems GKOTM didn't have its facts straight. It's the absence of human activity and the habitat loss that comes with said activity. Acute radiation poisoning would kill almost all wildlife in the immediate area. Only years later would there be a rebound. That's assuming that Godzilla deposits harmful isotopes with long half lives, though.
https://youtu.be/i6l8MFdTaPE

J/K :)

I remember watching that and thinking "...huh"
Last edited by Chris55 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Radiation doesn't affect plants the same as more complex life. Of course high levels of gamma radiation will kill plants, but we don't know what type of radiation or its half-life that comes with the Titans. Presumably its not overly dangerous in small exposures or else everyone who got close to Godzilla and Mothra would be sick and dying.

Its not story-breaking to say that the radiation from the Titans, in addition to the absence of human activity, spurred extreme plant growth.

CCMan
Ronin

Post by CCMan »

Are we really critiquing the stated effects of radiation in a Godzilla movie? In this franchise, radiation is magic. It does whatever the plot requires.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Wait? You mean to tell me radiation doesn't grow things and give them powers? But it usually harms things? Wow!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

If we will use the same mindset, Godzilla's ancestors should have died from extensive radioactive poisoning the moment they started harnessing radiation as an energy source. Certinialy not grow 400ft tall and start shooting blue beams :lol:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Still waiting for Giant Dr. Serizawa to pop up in any sequel.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Godzilla21 wrote:Wait? You mean to tell me radiation doesn't grow things and give them powers? But it usually harms things? Wow!
Dv-218 wrote:If we will use the same mindset, Godzilla's ancestors should have died from extensive radioactive poisoning the moment they started harnessing radiation as an energy source. Certinialy not grow 400ft tall and start shooting blue beams :lol:
CCMan wrote:Are we really critiquing the stated effects of radiation in a Godzilla movie? In this franchise, radiation is magic. It does whatever the plot requires.
True, and it's not like we all don't know these things. The harmful effects of radiation are undermined in the MonsterVerse in general. This is the only time in Godzilla's history where the films talk about radiation as if it's somehow quite beneficial to life.

Legendary's Godzilla managed to withstand acute radiation poisoning and harness radioactive isotopes as an energy source. As flawed as that explanation is, we buy it because it's Godzilla. This would and should spell doom for creatures in his path that are not resistant as he is. Instead, it turns it into an environmental treat that's beneficial for wildlife, which I think is weird.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

CCMan wrote:Are we really critiquing the stated effects of radiation in a Godzilla movie? In this franchise, radiation is magic. It does whatever the plot requires.
While true for the sequels and reboots, the 1954 film made it a point to say that radiation is dangerous and it's Godzilla who is the unusual one as he survived something that would kill all other lifeforms. Dr Yamane made it a point he should be studied for having survived and later wondered if they even could kill him when massive amounts of radiation didn't.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Living Corpse wrote:
While true for the sequels and reboots, the 1954 film made it a point to say that radiation is dangerous and it's Godzilla who is the unusual one as he survived something that would kill all other lifeforms. Dr Yamane made it a point he should be studied for having survived and later wondered if they even could kill him when massive amounts of radiation didn't.
Yeah, and subsequent Showa era films still showcased radiation as incredibly harmful with Infant Island's barren wasteland and dead animals from nuclear tests, and Sollgel island's failed experiment which created Kamacuras.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Radiation wipes the slate clean. So that nature may grow again.

That literally sums up the Monsterverses themes. What's wrong with a change in perspective?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

_JNavs_ wrote:

That literally sums up the Monsterverses themes. What's wrong with a change in perspective?
Ask Ishirō Honda’s ghost and see if he agrees.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Stump Feet wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

Ask Ishirō Honda’s ghost and see if he agrees.
Okay I'll go get my Japanese Ouija Board brb

Of course America has a different perspective on matters, we were never nuked. I think a different perspective on Godzilla is welcome and frankly, story-wise it fits perfectly into the franchise, like the next step into an ever-growing picture.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Of course because who doesn’t love a white-washed Godzilla?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I had no idea Godzilla had a specific race.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

_JNavs_ wrote:Radiation wipes the slate clean. So that nature may grow again.

Radiation doesn't work like that at all in real life. Ever heard of Hisashi Ouchi?

Man that doesn't even sum up G14.

Whitewashing is more than a race thing btw
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewa ... ensorship)
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

https://relay-nationalgeographic-com.cd ... 20%251%24s

Just something I thought people here might find interesting. There are a lot more factors here than just radiation and it's direct effect on the environment.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dv-218 wrote:https://relay-nationalgeographic-com.cd ... 20%251%24s

Just something I thought people here might find interesting. There are a lot more factors here than just radiation and it's direct effect on the environment.
Yeah, it`s weird because people used that article for radiation, rather then what its actually saying about the lack of humans.
_JNavs_ wrote:Okay I'll go get my Japanese Ouija Board brb
I`ll save you some money, and say you can just look at his filmography, the greater Toho filmography from 1950`s-2000`s, and it`s evident. :P

Spoiler:
1954 Godzilla (duh)
1958 H-Man(duh)
1961 The Last War(duh)
1964 Mothra vs. Godzilla(duh)
1965 Frankenstein vs. Baragon (all the hiroshima/cancer stuff)
1966 Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Red Bamboo is making nukes)
1973 Godzilla vs. Megalon (it`s actually really easy to forget, but the reason why the Seatopians are angry is because underground nuclear testing is destroying their home).
1984 The Return of Godzilla (duh)
1989 Godzilla vs. Biollante
1991 Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (don`t bother debating me on this one please, I`m sick of it).
And this is ignoring all the clearly anti nuke Ultraman Episodes produced.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.