So what happened to San Francisco and Las Vegas?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Relair
Monsterland Worker

Re: So what happened to San Francisco and Las Vegas?

Post by Relair »

Stump Feet wrote: Sounds to me like you ignored the entire point of why it was brought up in the first place.

I don’t think the problem is whether or not it’s realistic or scientifically accurate, it’s that radiation has always been treated as a negative thing in the Godzilla franchise, it was built on that principle alone, yet in KOTM, it’s outright glorified as it “brings back the ecosystem”.
Always? What about G 98, remember the earthworms getting giant and flourishing because of radiation? Or that deleted scene in Godzilla vs. Biollante, with the radioactive spores making the whole countryside bloom flowers? Or heck, look at the entire earth in the anime series. Overgrown and wild with life as (presumably, their biology isn't explored that in depth) Godzilla and the Servum roam around spreading radiation far and wide. I mean sure it's not a common thing, but there are little instances here and there.
Last edited by Relair on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I think the intention with radiation bringing back the ecosystem was meant to represent radiation as a form of clean energy, compared to the massive amounts of fossil fuels we're dumping into our atmosphere. I don't think it was intended to be taken as literal as "Radioactive fallout caused plant growth." The film's writing could have been more clear but I don't think there was any ill intent. And I certainly don't see any "pro nuclear bomb" messages; nuclear weapons and nuclear energy as a power source are two very different things. Even Japan uses nuclear energy.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I think the intention with radiation bringing back the ecosystem was meant to represent radiation as a form of clean energy, compared to the massive amounts of fossil fuels we're dumping into our atmosphere. I don't think it was intended to be taken as literal as "Radioactive fallout caused plant growth." The film's writing could have been more clear but I don't think there was any ill intent. And I certainly don't see any "pro nuclear bomb" messages; nuclear weapons and nuclear energy as a power source are two very different things. Even Japan uses nuclear energy.
Well said, that was my take as well. It was just a way to try to give Emma some ammunition on why her plan was actually good and beneficial.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

CCMan wrote:Are we really critiquing the stated effects of radiation in a Godzilla movie? In this franchise, radiation is magic. It does whatever the plot requires.
This is still the best comment in this thread.

Just hand wave this stuff away and say it’s some type of unknown radiation or that the titans filter negative aspects of it out through some sort of internal biological process and anything they emit is actually pro life.

So they’re a key part of a healthy ecosystem. There pretty much like the forest spirit in Princes Mononoke

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

king_ghidorah wrote:
CCMan wrote:Are we really critiquing the stated effects of radiation in a Godzilla movie? In this franchise, radiation is magic. It does whatever the plot requires.

Just hand wave this stuff away and say it’s some type of unknown radiation or that the titans filter negative aspects of it out through some sort of internal biological process and anything they emit is actually pro life.

So they’re a key part of a healthy ecosystem. There pretty much like the forest spirit in Princes Mononoke
No the best comment was pointing out that the some of the people who didn't like KOTM for it's plot holes are some of the same people who will defend a movie where moe people used a robot clown to lead their giant monster to Tokyo because it's too dumb to find the city on it's own. :lol:

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Living Corpse wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:

No the best comment was pointing out that the some of the people who didn't like KOTM for it's plot holes are some of the same people who will defend a movie where moe people used a robot clown to lead their giant monster to Tokyo because it's too dumb to find the city on it's own. :lol:
That was me in the KOTM Poll thread:
At the same time, I've seen fans (both on and off the forum) that didn't care for this movie, complaining that the acting, story and writing was substandard, yadda yadda yadda, and that the monster sequences didn't/can't/won't make up for those shortcomings. And among those detractors, there are those I know who will unironically defend another Godzilla movie in which a race of subterranean beach bums, who have engineered their own sun and can communicate with other nebulas, have to steal a robot from a Japanese scientist because their pet monster is too stupid to find its way to Tokyo...a city in a country that isn't even the cause of their natural disasters! I honestly get completely befuddled by fans who do this.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

H-Man wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:

That was me in the KOTM Poll thread:
At the same time, I've seen fans (both on and off the forum) that didn't care for this movie, complaining that the acting, story and writing was substandard, yadda yadda yadda, and that the monster sequences didn't/can't/won't make up for those shortcomings. And among those detractors, there are those I know who will unironically defend another Godzilla movie in which a race of subterranean beach bums, who have engineered their own sun and can communicate with other nebulas, have to steal a robot from a Japanese scientist because their pet monster is too stupid to find its way to Tokyo...a city in a country that isn't even the cause of their natural disasters! I honestly get completely befuddled by fans who do this.
I feel like that`s a big mis-characterization, because I do not believe a single person who defends Godzilla vs. Megalon, would say it`s actually a good movie. Godzilla vs. Megalon is a horribly made film. But because it`s so outlandish, and has so much personality, it`s easy to love. It has a lot of soul in it, from the Jet Jaguar theme, to the drop kicks, to Megalon and Gigan teaming up etc...

And Godzilla vs. Megalon, was a film made in 1973, on a definitively lesser budget then KOTM.

KOTM lacks a lot of that soul. Both are bad movies, but I still like Megalon for those reasons.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Some of you ARE aware Godzilla vs. Megalon was solely created to be apart of the Champion Festival line up, right? Meaning it was never intended to be anything more than a fun popcorn flick for Japanese 3rd graders.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Stump Feet wrote:Some of you ARE aware Godzilla vs. Megalon was solely created to be apart of the Champion Festival line up, right? Meaning it was never intended to be anything more than a popcorn fun flick by Japanese 3rd graders.
Yeah, that and Godzilla`s Revenge.

But let`s ignore that, and just compare it to a $170,000,000 Hollywood Extravaganza.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:Some of you ARE aware Godzilla vs. Megalon was solely created to be apart of the Champion Festival line up, right? Meaning it was never intended to be anything more than a popcorn fun flick by Japanese 3rd graders.

But let`s ignore that, and just compare it to a $170,000,000 Hollywood Extravaganza.
My original remarks did not put down one film's technical aspects while praising the other's.

Also, let the court reporter record that I do enjoy Godzilla vs. Megalon, even if it occupies a position on the bottom five Godzilla movies in my opinion.

BUT...my remarks were directed at people who *unironically* (and they exist) defend one film despite its myriad of storytelling shortcomings, while putting down those same shortcomings (which are far fewer) in another film. And those people do exist. And I don't buy the " film for 3rd Graders" reply, either. An absurd premise in a sci-fi fantasy film directed at children is one thing. But in GvsM (as opposed to GxM), the writers can't even follow their own internal logic or even set up a coherent main premise. Children may not notice, but it's still treating them as if they were stupid. And the fact that there's a group of fans that support this film while criticizing the other (despite Dougherty doing his darndest to please fans of all ages) just baffles me.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

maybe we will return to the topic of conversation?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

H-Man wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

My original remarks did not put down one film's technical aspects while praising the other's.

Also, let the court reporter record that I do enjoy Godzilla vs. Megalon, even if it occupies a position on the bottom five Godzilla movies in my opinion.

BUT...my remarks were directed at people who *unironically* (and they exist) defend one film despite its myriad of storytelling shortcomings, while putting down those same shortcomings (which are far fewer) in another film. And those people do exist. And I don't buy the " film for 3rd Graders" reply, either. An absurd premise in a sci-fi fantasy film directed at children is one thing. But in GvsM (as opposed to GxM), the writers can't even follow their own internal logic or even set up a coherent main premise. Children may not notice, but it's still treating them as if they were stupid. And the fact that there's a group of fans that support this film while criticizing the other (despite Dougherty doing his darndest to please fans of all ages) just baffles me.
No one is excusing that Godzilla vs. Megalon is stupid, or saying kids deserve stupid things. It’s more of saying that Godzilla vs Megalon was made cheaply, and quickly, and made generally for a specific demographic.

Compare to GKOTM; where you see the credits role and it’s literally thousands of people and hundreds of millions of dollars, and the film was intended to be this big super blockbuster success, with many people, specifically Legendary, hyping the shit out of the film with interviews.

And despite using a lot of stock footage, Godzilla vs. Megalon, still shows Megalon actually destroying things, in the context of the movie; something that KOTM does for only the briefest of seconds. Godzilla, Jet Jaguar, Megalon, and Gigan also ooze personality, something that barely happens in KOTM, with the exception of the Serizawa scene, and some things with Ghidorah.

Godzilla vs. Megalon and KOTM are absolutely apples and oranges, but it’s easier to defend Godzilla vs. Megalon for being bad, versus KOTM for being bad.

Bear in mind, that Godzilla vs. Megalon is also a lot shorter, and doesn’t beat you over the head with exposition. There’s no scene where Jet Jaguar lectures the audience about how Gigan litters too much.

That’s not saying the film is good at all. I started defending GxM, also specifically because some people on here kept saying,”you only like Shin/dark Godzilla films” when I do love me some Godzilla vs Megalon. If people love KOTM, it’s all cool, but don’t pretend it’s a great movie, or the best the franchise has to offer. Maybe, far down the line, after Shin 2000 comes out, I’ll be able to like Godzilla KOTM, in the same way as I do Godzilla vs. Megalon, but for now it’s really difficult to find it anywhere near as fun or enjoyable.
Olzh26 wrote:maybe we will return to the topic of conversation?
Maybe people should actually let people on a Godzilla fansite actually discuss their thoughts and opinions on actual Godzilla films, and not pointlessly post about how they should “get back on topic” when they have nothing to contribute to the conversation themselves? :roll:

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Except there are people who legitimately think the movie is one of the better movies in the franchise unironically. You don’t have to like it, but you gotta get off the high horse acting like your opinion is the majority.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Is it really so hard to understand that people have different opinions? I feel like this is something they teach in elementary school...
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dynomy-DX wrote:Except there are people who legitimately think the movie is one of the better movies in the franchise unironically. You don’t have to like it, but you gotta get off the high horse acting like your opinion is the majority.
Yeah but I’m not that person. You can use this argument against them.

:)

Anyways, actual question here, but regarding San Francisco, is it stated anywhere in the novel, or Aftershock, that Emma/Mark blame Godzilla for its destruction, or the MUTOs/military. It’s weird because Mark seems like he’s supposed to hate Godzilla, and the opening shot is them staring up at him, but I can’t really tell if they hate Godzilla specifically or not.

And people also talk about San Francisco, but what happened to Honolulu. Does the novel or anything in the film show it regrowing there? What about DC? Just curious.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Maritonic wrote:Is it really so hard to understand that people have different opinions? I feel like this is something they teach in elementary school...
i legitimately remember that being the first thing i heard from the teachers mouth! :lol:

Dynomy,i like ya,but i think your getting a little to defensive. LSD isn't saying anything bad about fans who like the movie so i think you might need to cool down. maybe spend a couple days away from the site?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Why are the only ones getting heated in these debates the ones defending GKOTM?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Is it really so hard to understand that people have different opinions? I feel like this is something they teach in elementary school...
i legitimately remember that being the first thing i heard from the teachers mouth! :lol:

Dynomy,i like ya,but i think your getting a little to defensive. LSD isn't saying anything bad about fans who like the movie so i think you might need to cool down. maybe spend a couple days away from the site?
Nah, I’m chill right now. Just had to say what popped in my head. If it came out badly then uh... my bad. XD
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Stump Feet wrote:Why are the only ones getting heated in these debates the ones defending GKOTM?
Possibly because they feel spoken down to, and as such, are put on the defense? I don't know. It's a movie. People are going to love it, like it, not care, not like it, and hate it. -shrug- Difference of opinion. Beautiful thing.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I disagree with a lot of what LSD says in regards to the film, but he's actually completely right here about GvM being a shaky comparison due to the differences of both film's backgrounds. Nor did he say anything bad about the fans of the movie specifically.

Maritonic honestly offered the best take here- some people liked the movie, some people didn't. I enjoyed the movie, but i'm not going to fret if someone provides legit criticism or vice-verse. It's just opinions, no harm done here :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.