What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Re: What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Stump Feet wrote:So Michael Doughtery just tweeted out that Godzilla would have absolutely killed Ghidorah in Mexico if it weren’t for the Oxygen Destroyer :roll:

I mean I’m not surprised or anything because that’s the context I totally got but yet again, it severally downplays the threat level of big bad Ghidorah if he can get his ass whipped anytime.

Long Live Da King :roll:
Besides my opinion of it being foolish and diminishing Ghidorah's importance, it's also dumb in the context of the film and how it was executed.

The movie does a terrible job at adding credibility to that claim, because such an important detail shouldn't have been obscured so lazily. If this was true, that Godzilla would've killed Ghidorah, why not focus on that tension instead of making the scene confusing with cuts, implied action, shaky camera shots, and whatever else?

And according to the novelization, doesn't Ghidorah use radiation to regenerate? Godzilla would be helpful to Ghidorah in some aspects, then. Maybe I'm wrong, but that whole thing seems odd.
JesstrK wrote:Then in the Boston fight, Ghidorah has Godzilla dead to rights. He's beaten, all that's left is to drink his life energy, then Ghidorah's greatest rival and the only thing keeping him from taking over the planet will be no more. But then Ghidorah decides to forgo finishing his greatest threat in favor of swatting an annoying fly that poses no real threat to him (Emma with the Orca). For a supposedly pretty intelligent titan, that was a pretty stupid move.
Michael Dougherty apparently didn't have the attention span needed to create a better climax for the film, and therefore applied his lack of attention to King Ghidorah. It's a self insert.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Yes, how dare Ghidorah not have the advantage in an environment he's not at all adapted to? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
JesstrK wrote:Then in the Boston fight, Ghidorah has Godzilla dead to rights. He's beaten, all that's left is to drink his life energy, then Ghidorah's greatest rival and the only thing keeping him from taking over the planet will be no more. But then Ghidorah decides to forgo finishing his greatest threat in favor of swatting an annoying fly that poses no real threat to him (Emma with the Orca). For a supposedly pretty intelligent titan, that was a pretty stupid move.
Michael Dougherty apparently didn't have the attention span needed to create a better climax for the film, and therefore applied his lack of attention to King Ghidorah.
It was spelled out plain as day in the film that Ghidorah perceives the Alpha frequency the ORCA emits as a challenge & threat to his rule. I don't think it's Dougherty that's the one with the attention span issues.
It's a self insert.
That's not what self insert means, you absolute grape.
Last edited by NSZ on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

JesstrK wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:So Michael Doughtery just tweeted out that Godzilla would have absolutely killed Ghidorah in Mexico if it weren’t for the Oxygen Destroyer :roll:

I mean I’m not surprised or anything because that’s the context I totally got but yet again, it severally downplays the threat level of big bad Ghidorah if he can get his ass whipped anytime.

Long Live Da King :roll:
Yeah, even though I liked the movie overall and don't agree with many of your criticisms, on this one I have to agree with you. Not to mention it's kind of inconsistent. The Mexico fight where Godzilla was supposedly about to kill Ghidorah took place before Godzilla got his power up. After the power up, Godzilla, although much stronger than before, was nearly killed by Ghidorah before Mothra and Emma intervened. Even if you account for Godzilla's element of surprise and water advantage, it doesn't make sense.
I dunno why that's so hard to accept- MV Godzilla is basically a giant crocodile. Element of surprise+water advantage is exactly what crocodiles rely on to overpower enemies they normally can't.

Plus you can clearly tell from Ghidorah's body structure that he's not exactly suited for aquatic combat. For all we know he might have come from a planet with no water at all. Think of it the other way around- it's like having Godzilla fight Ghidorah in the outer atmosphere.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I don't know why it's so hard to accept that it's dumb to see the main villain almost die 30 minutes into the movie.

I'm not even talking about power-levels or who was in who's element, it just seems "off" and that's a very fair point.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

NSZ wrote:Yes, how dare Ghidorah not have the advantage in an environment he's not at all adapted to? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
Michael Dougherty apparently didn't have the attention span needed to create a better climax for the film, and therefore applied his lack of attention to King Ghidorah.
It was spelled out plain as day in the film that Ghidorah perceives the Alpha frequency the ORCA emits as a challenge & threat to his rule. I don't think it's Dougherty that's the one with the attention span issues.
It's a self insert.
Geez dude,calm down! You're starting to sound like Gordon Ramesy with your insults.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:
NSZ wrote:Yes, how dare Ghidorah not have the advantage in an environment he's not at all adapted to? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Michael Dougherty apparently didn't have the attention span needed to create a better climax for the film, and therefore applied his lack of attention to King Ghidorah.
It's a self insert.
Geez dude,calm down! You're starting to sound like Gordon Ramesy with your insults.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Stump Feet wrote:I don't know why it's so hard to accept that it's dumb to see the main villain almost die 30 minutes into the movie.

I'm not even talking about power-levels or who was in who's element, it just seems "off" and that's a very fair point.
Lots of movie villains do, actually, and that alone doesn't make them lame or dumb.

I was just pointing out that there's nothing wrong with the scene logically, and that this trivial detail is not as big of a problem as people are making it out to be. Can't argue any further if that's so unacceptable to your tastes, but there's no reason to insist that it's "dumb".
Last edited by Vandarker on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's not a valid criticism, what a ridiculous mindset. That's the real reason there's such a fuss, it's because a handful of users think their word is god because they don't agree and wanna call others "invalid". You can disagree without having to write off someone else's opinion.

A lot of people disagree about the pacing of the movie, are those criticisms invalid too because you don't agree? Think about it.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Stump Feet wrote:Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's not a valid criticism, what a ridiculous mindset.

A lot of people disagree about the pacing of the movie, are those invalid too because you don't agree?
I could say the exact thing to you. Your only point is that it seems "dumb" and "seems off". I wasn't arguing about your preferences, I was laying out the facts and telling you the scene makes logical sense. You're the one who decided to make this an argument about personal taste. If you still don't like it there's nothing I can say to argue against it, but that doesn't make it a valid point against what I said.
Last edited by Vandarker on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

There's nothing factual about what you even said, it's just as much a preference on your part as it is mine, practice what you preach, or trying to preach I guess.
Long Live The Sting

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

-Not sure how I feel about Burning Godzilla being a temp power up.

-Also mixed feelings on no Red Spiral Beam, props for restraining themselves but if ever a time it's allowed, it's Burning Godzilla.

On a positive, like the new take on the Nuclear Pulse.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
Ok, fine. But you would think he would perceive Godzilla as an even bigger threat then. Which would you prioritize, your ancient enemy, the juiced up nuclear behemoth who has defeated you in the past...or a tiny human issuing a challenge/threat frequency that sounds like said behemoth?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JesstrK wrote:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Michael Dougherty apparently didn't have the attention span needed to create a better climax for the film, and therefore applied his lack of attention to King Ghidorah.
Ok, fine. But you would think he would perceive Godzilla as an even bigger threat then. Which would you prioritize, your ancient enemy, the juiced up nuclear behemoth who has defeated you in the past...or a tiny human issuing a challenge/threat frequency that sounds like said behemoth?
From what I understand, the backup King Ghidorah came too late in part because everytime the ORCA is used they go pacif and either stop walking or wonder around in a random direction. And yeah he could have killed Godzilla then and there but he probably had no clue Mothra's stuff was reviving him, he probably left him for dead, excepting him to die on his own.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

JesstrK wrote:
Well KG also seemed like a smug son of a bidi that likes to watch his enemy suffer too. So he probably thinks there's NO WAY Godzilla could POSSIBLY be a threat to HIM anymore, and ignores it in favor of an annoying noise from a helpless human. (He even took his sweet time hunting Emma down, his sadism and overconfidence lead to his downfall)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I mean just because they give an explanation doesn't necessarily make it a good one.

Sure, the novel explains he perceives the Orca call as a rivaling Alpha contending for his throne but that doesn't make it any less silly that Ghidorah stopped feeding on Godzilla to swat a fly, especially when he was sucking that prime Burning energy at that point

It's not exactly the worst thing though, movies do it all the time to give the hero a chance to recover. Look at Kong: Skull Island for example, the Big One had Kong dead to rights twice if it wouldn't have went after Monarch.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Stump Feet wrote:I mean just because they give an explanation doesn't necessarily make it a good one.

Sure, the novel explains he perceives the Orca call as a rivaling Alpha contending for his throne but that doesn't make it any less silly that Ghidorah stopped feeding on Godzilla to swat a fly, especially when he was sucking that prime Mothra energy at that point
The novel also had a line somewhere that the ORCA could be set to "piercing frequencies" I believe, which is why he aimed at it back in Antarctica, cause it was hurting his ears or something. Could be the same thing here, because iirc, he visibly recoiled and turned towards the noise when the ORCA was used to distract him from Godzilla who Ghidorah didn't even consider a threat anymore.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Stump Feet wrote:I mean just because they give an explanation doesn't necessarily make it a good one.

Sure, the novel explains he perceives the Orca call as a rivaling Alpha contending for his throne but that doesn't make it any less silly that Ghidorah stopped feeding on Godzilla to swat a fly, especially when he was sucking that prime Mothra energy at that point

It's not exactly the worst thing though, movies do it all the time, look at Kong: Skull Island for example.
It's a good explainnation cause it makes him a character and not a plot device. Why would a smart person (or monster) do something so stupid? Because he's a sadist and full of himself. Dudes a prick. That's not a plot hole or flaw of the movie, that's a character flaw, which is part of what makes a character, well, a character.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GuardianGhido wrote:

The novel also had a line somewhere that the ORCA could be set to "piercing frequencies" I believe, which is why he aimed at it back in Antarctica, cause it was hurting his ears or something. Could be the same thing here, because iirc, he visibly recoiled and turned towards the noise when the ORCA was used to distract him from Godzilla who Ghidorah didn't even consider a threat anymore.
Wait i thought you quit the site?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:

It's not exactly the worst thing though, movies do it all the time, look at Kong: Skull Island for example.
It's a good explainnation cause it makes him a character and not a plot device. Why would a smart person (or monster) do something so stupid? Because he's a sadist and full of himself. Dudes a prick. That's not a plot hole or flaw of the movie, that's a character flaw, which is part of what makes a character, well, a character.
Yeah KG's character in this one IMO is what makes him one of the best Ghidorahs and my personal favorite.

...which brings me to my complaint with him being yet another weakling Ghidorah that Godzilla could solo without breaking a sweat. Seriously? He had to be saved by the OD? I was desperately hoping that not to be the case, but then comes Mike spitting out "facts" like that. Why couldn't he have left it up to interpretation? Heck, in my version of the movie, KG would not only turn that underwater fight around, he'd be the one to nearly kill Godzilla! Instead we're told that Godzilla could have just killed KG at any time in the movie as long as he could get in the water, this really makes him super lame, on the level of the Heisei Dorat Triplets even. A shame too, cause with his autonomy, dynamic fighting style and perfect personality, he's actually one of the best Ghidorahs, but it's ruined by his pathetic power level, Godzilla just eclipses him before his Boston powerup. It's boring to have weak villains all the time that Godzilla can just solo without outside intervention, when can we get a proper Ghidorah that NEEDS a teamup to defeat dammit?! I'm tired of watching Godzilla just stomp any monster thrown at him, I wanna see him get overwhelmed for once! And I wanna see that overwhelmer be Ghidorah, something he hasn't done since GTTHM!
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Meanwhile,Showa Ghidorah always needed at least two or three,or heck,and ENTIRE GROUP of monsters to make him retreat and defeat him once and for all. Original's still the best in the threat department it seems.