What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Since people are complaining about complaints about KOTM in every thread, I figured it would be helpful to have a complaint thread where you can go about complaining.

What are your issues with KOTM? What could have been improved? What would you have done differently?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

Post by miguelnuva »

Released it in December 2018 and moved Aquaman to March.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Paced far too quickly, I wish the beautiful imagery had a moment to sink in
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Paced far too quickly, I wish the beautiful imagery had a moment to sink in
Agreed. We don't get a lot of opportunities to just get lost in the awe of these massive creatures. It's lacking the sense of buildup-payoff that is so important to a movie like this and helped make G14 and K:SI as good as they were.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Paced far too quickly, I wish the beautiful imagery had a moment to sink in
This! Kong Skull Island has a ton of beautiful shots that stayed on it long enough for audience to feel the awe of Kong, why couldn’t this one?

For me, the fight scenes were the biggest downfall to this movie. Godzilla 2014 was heavily story based and it was quite obvious from GKOTM’s trailers, the second Godzilla film was going to be all about the large-scale kaiju battles, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all- but where GKOTM failed that G14 didn’t was its sense of scale and dramatic weight the monsters had when they were on screen, everything was so large and breathtaking in G14, but here in GKOTM, they just kinda rush in like something out of PRU and when they do fight, it’s somehow no where near as cool looking as the fights shown in 14’.

The fight choreography was just so off in this movie, there was a couple stand out cool moments like Godzilla’s surprise attack in Fenway Park, or him stomping Ghidorah through a sky scrapper, but other than that, nothing stood out, and what would have made for a big “holy sh¡t” moment in the fight like Ghidorahs sky drop is played so fast and quick, it drains it of any dramatic weight that it deserves.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Pacing, poor script, frequent cuts, lack of interesting fight choreography, poor shot composition, bad human characters, dull colour choices, Oxygen Destroyer.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Smuggers wrote:Pacing, poor script, frequent cuts, lack of interesting fight choreography, poor shot composition, bad human characters, dull colour choices, Oxygen Destroyer.
Ah, that's one that doesn't get talked about much but it's so true. Everything is always looking washed out and bland because of the hues being used. I remember one reviewer saying a lot of the movie looks like it was filmed using a blue Instagram filter and I think that's sadly accurate.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Smuggers wrote:Pacing, poor script, frequent cuts, lack of interesting fight choreography, poor shot composition, bad human characters, dull colour choices, Oxygen Destroyer.
The Oxygen Destroyer! I keep forgetting it was even used in the movie…

Yeah the Oxygen Destroyer was so shoehorned in, it’s not even funny.

It’s like they completely missed how dramatic and important a weapon like that was in the original movies and just threw it in there as an Easter egg becasue they thought fans would like that sort of thing, I thought Dougherty was suppose to be a real fan? No real fan would downplay the importance of setting up a weapon such as that.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

bad humans are certainly one of them (those "comic relief" characters fail miserably at their purpose"), sometimes the writing is pretty dull. the Oxygen Destroyer.... i have know idea what the script writers were thinking of when they wrote it in but the deserve a smack on the wrist for it. You have such a memorable weapon, if not THE most memorable weapon (Mecha's aside) in this movie... and you write it off as if it's simply dirt.

the film does make up for it with monster action and designs, but flaws are flaws and you can't simply ignore them.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Definitely the pacing of the fights I thought that they were better done in 2014 and Kong and it surprised the hell outta me when I saw an early screening the week before it came out because the early reactions made it sesm better than it actually is and remember when several on here was skeptical of my account I truly was hoping I was nitpicky as hell and recent rewatches have kinda allowed me to enjoy it more but yeah I was disappointed and I thought Mike Dougherty would know better that we people want to see monsters fight for christ sake don't interrupt the fight. Feel good to be vindicated honestly
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The fact the movie tries to give Emma redemption for what she committed and expects you to like her in the end.

Yeah no...Any sympathy I had left for her was long gone after she just committed what was probably the biggest atrocity in history that exceeds what Hitler did.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:The fact the movie tries to give Emma redemption for what she committed and expects you to like her in the end.

Yeah no...Any sympathy I had left for her was long gone after she just committed what was probably the biggest atrocity in history that exceeds what Hitler did.
Well, yeah, that's why she doesn't survive the movie. Darth Vader's no different.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Well, yeah, that's why she doesn't survive the movie. Darth Vader's no different.
I honestly wish she had though so she could had been trialed for her crimes she committed. Nope had to give her the easy way out with death.

That's something I wish we would had gotten in Godzilla vs. Kong tbh. It would had lead to something interesting and resulting in Mark gaining full custody of Madison from her thus losing everything she ever had dearly. The irony it would had brought.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:The fact the movie tries to give Emma redemption for what she committed and expects you to like her in the end.

Well, yeah, that's why she doesn't survive the movie. Darth Vader's no different.
Darth Vader is actually suffering from an identity shift and Emma I don't think knew Ghidorah was going to destroy the world. I'm think she was hoping more for what Godzilla caused.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Well, yeah, that's why she doesn't survive the movie.
She actually survived in test screenings lol. Probably why her death scene is kinda awkwardly done.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

The Oxygen Destroyer is a big issue for me. It didn't need to be in the film. I think it would have made more sense to have Ghidorah kick Godzilla's ass, rather than having Godzilla wreck Ghidorah until the military breaks it up with a super weapon. The whole thing makes Godzilla's "death" and resurrection feel really contrived. They could have gone the much more natural and effective route, but instead they decided to shove in the Oxygen Destroyer because "LOOK GUYS I LIKE GODZILLA TOO!!!" This also makes Ghidorah feel like much less of a threat, making me care less about the final battle. I don't feel satisfied when Godzilla wins and at no point did I feel like he needed even one power up, let alone two.

Aside from that, the final battle feels unsatisfying anyway. When I watch G14, I don't get frustrated when Gareth Edwards cuts away from the monster action. It's not trying to be a balls to the wall kaiju thrill ride, and it never gives that illusion. Godzilla: King of the Monsters, on the other hand, does try to go the "ALL MONSTERS ALL THE TIME" route, but it doesn't commit to that. By the time the battle was starting I was thinking "Oh man this is about to be one of the sickest kaiju throwdowns ever" and then it just wasn't. I feel like we only saw the beginning and end of both Godzilla's fight with Ghidorah, and Mothra's fight with Rodan. When Mothra stung Rodan I remember thinking "That was it...?" I felt the same way when Godzilla disintegrated Ghidorah. Micheal Dougherty seemed so keen on bringing us a kaiju blowout, but when the time came, he didn't deliver. I still enjoy the film, but I feel like it was lacking the one thing it was promising to give us. Say what you will about Edwards's film, but at least that one paid off the fight it was building towards. This one felt like almost nothing but monsters until the third act when they went "OH SHIT WE FORGOT ABOUT THE HUMAN CHARACTERS!"
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Probably the pacing.....It at times went by quickly.

And for the love of God------Zilla can we please stop cutting away from the monsters every 10 seconds.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Smuggers wrote:She actually survived in test screenings lol. Probably why her death scene is kinda awkwardly done.
Dammit should of originally kept that. I wanted to see what I stated above happen in the next film. :mad:

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Like most agreed here, there are too many cuts and interruptions in major fight sequences, what we need is a long and drawn out battle between Godzilla and King Ghidorah at the end, I wonder if they ran out of budget or had to fit in the run time. Should've let Jame Wan directed it, the end battle of Aquaman is exactly what's missing in KOTM.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I thought the end battle was awesome. Seems not matter what movie it is people will complain about cutaways Shoot, I wish Godzilla Final Wars final battle was more like that.

Anyway my complaints are maybe the pacing is kinda strong but it sounds like the first act was a bit longer though so maybe we'd be complaining about waiting for monster fights then. None the less I have a lot of fun with the film.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the DC battle. I don't think I was quite as upset about that as others were.

I kind of wish we had one neat shot where Ghidorah is flying and blasts bolts at Godzilla. Maybe then Mothra could have gotten the drop on him and webbed his wings? I do love that web-tackle combo though.

My friend had a complaint after the movie: he thought Emma driving away in the hummer was dumb as hell. I was like 'yeah but...if she got on the osprey Ghidorah would have spat at it and killed all of them. This way only she dies.' His counter argument was that the Osprey was faster and the streets would have been totally trashed by then. Eh maybe but still Ghidorah could have easily caught up to that Osprey.He felt it was contrived. Certainly not a deal breaker or anything, he really liked the movie.