What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Re: What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

Post by Ultraman02 »

I don't get how it's edgy.
It is pure Godzilla wank but I think it's far from edgy.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Orichalcum wrote:The entire film is fan wank edginess what are you talking about?
True. True.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

It didnt have me in it.

I would have saved this movie.....

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Ultraman02 wrote:I don't get how it's edgy.
Lmao this, what edge?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

After just watching it again, biggest complaints it's still about 20 minutes to long.

The humor is terrible, the only 2 scenes i laughed at is when Mark asks Whitford if he is recording this when Mothra arrives and he says ''I record everything''.. Just the look Mark gives him cracked me up.
An when Madison gives Charles Dances character the bird in Antarctica.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

To think the initial cut was 30 minutes longer.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Y'know they coulda solved a lot of the problems with the Oxygen Destroyer just by having it be a Cadmium MOAB or "new anti radiation weapon" that was made to kill radiation-based lifeforms like the titans. Only Ghidorah is not radiation-based unlike all the other Earth titans (still giving away his alien nature) and is totally unfazed while Godzilla's radiation levels are downed to critically low levels, nearly killing him. The novel even mentioned his spines "barely flickering" in his lair, which would attribute to dangerously low levels of radiation, something Cadmium or ANEB or some other new anti-radiation weapon would have been better at conveying than the OD. (Which not only deserved a lot more buildup, background and ramifications, but in terms of damage should have at least disintegrated a limb or two and dissolved all of his skin or something)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Yeah but then it wouldn't have been as epic of a reference
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Smuggers wrote:Yeah but then it wouldn't have been as epic of a reference
ANEB would be an epic reference and fanservice to Heisei fans tho
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

It was an awful, terrible ploy of lip service fan service. Throughout the several iterations of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla clones, space monsters, versions of Ghidorah and etc the actual Oxygen Destroyer as a weapon has been used only once for a very specific purpose and in a very specific way. It was an incredibly poignant and importance piece of the original Gojira and the sacrifice that Serizawa made with it closed out the film in an incredible way.

KOTM literally had the weapon pop out of nowhere, put Godzilla on pause, and then that was it. There was literally zero point in using it in the way that they did other than to have fans say "hey, I know what that is" as they did absolutely nothing with the Oxygen Destroyer as a concept or thematic framing device. I'm not saying it should be exactly the same but something as weighty as the Oxygen Destroyer should've been handled with a bit more care/thought, otherwise what's the point? Using a more general, specialized weapon like an ANEB or anti-radiation bomb would've been much more preferable.

Here's another thing (and forgive me if it has already been talked about)----what are some of your thoughts on how Ghidorah's "alien" nature was revealed/handled?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

BioDestroyer wrote:
Here's another thing (and forgive me if it has already been talked about)----what are some of your thoughts on how Ghidorah's "alien" nature was revealed/handled?
I did love the fact that he was immune to one of the most powerful superweapons in Godzilla history (then again, I would have preferred if no OD was launched and he nearly killed Godzilla in his own turf, doing the same job of making him look unstoppable) and do like how it was cemented that he was an outsider, not part of natural order but a false king trying to disrupt the balance forever. But with the Monarch Sciences site stuff about already discovered legends, I find it stupid that Dr. Chen just randomly pieced it together in the middle of the movie instead of collaborative efforts from all the monarch crew deciphering all the ancient stuff they had over the course of years after his discovery and eventually finding this out.

I would have preferred if the Monarch guys knew he was an alien all along from years of research, just not knowing how malevolent he really is due to records of his destruction being erased from history out of fear, only using symbolism like the painting with fire and skulls (you can telll he's dangerous, but can't tell that he's evil, maybe he just fought back after landing on a strange world and being attacked?). Have Emma protest about releasing Ghidorah first as he's an alien and they know so little about him but have Jonah do it anyways saying it doesn't make a difference (whereas releasing Ghidorah is actually part of his own agenda) then have the Monarch guys come to a conclusion that he's an invader, not a visitor after witnessing his destruction instead of figuring out he's an alien just now instead of years ago despite having all the necessary info with you.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

They could have like, tossed the orca out of the cargo bay or some shit, her death was totally pointless which was apparent as I was watching it not even as an afterthought or anything, and the car chase thing was way too long. She just made things worse for everyone involved to be honest.

Just another thing to chalk up as "shitty writing and sloppy directing" though.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The chase through Boston was shades of GINO.

And anyone who’s driven in Beantown can tell you how hard it is to navigate even when the city hasn’t been destroyed by giant monsters. I won’t hold that against the movie, it’s really a nitpick, but it made me laugh.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

In some creative writing classes I took, unless the death is symbolically significant (a good example being Serizawa's suicide in 1954), killing off characters is one of the laziest ways to conclude a story. It's far harder to write a character who changes, and then has to accept the consequences of their actions and interact with characters after. I do think that KOTM did have a lot of pointless deaths in that regard, especially with the mother.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote:I don't get how it's edgy.
Lmao this, what edge?
Return of Godzilla is gritty (edgy before edgy), Shin is dark, and anime is nilhilistic. KOTM tone is your standard Sci-Fantasy we see in a lot of Godzilla films just with a climate change message.

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
Terasawa wrote:The chase through Boston was shades of GINO.

And anyone who’s driven in Beantown can tell you how hard it is to navigate even when the city hasn’t been destroyed by giant monsters. I won’t hold that against the movie, it’s really a nitpick, but it made me laugh.
Difference is Ghidorah is not keeping up on purpose cause he's an asshole (we've seen him smack an Osprey and humans around instead of just crushing them).

Added in 3 minutes 56 seconds:
BioDestroyer wrote:
I got the DVD yesterday and for some reason my mom wanted to watch it (she's not into this stuff). She asked "who made King Ghidorah" and I'm like no one, they just said legends told of a fireball falling from the sky and they think he's an alien, an invasive species.

I think a flashback showing him arrive to Earth as they said this stuff would have worked better, a lot of people missed those lines.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think edgy needs to go in a list of banned words. Too many people use it in the wrong context, and it's not always an inherently bad things.
84 is not edgy. Vaguely, like Shin it is dark.

Ghidorah chasing the car and maddie was because the writers needed a dramatic scene where someone is chased. I don't take a big issue with it, but rather what it leads to in the greater scheme of things. At least in 98 it made sense, because Gino was smaller, and not airborne. In addition he had to weave in and out of buildings and avoid obstacles.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The overall tone of the film wasn't edgy but its treatment of Godzilla sure was.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The overall tone of the film wasn't edgy but its treatment of Godzilla sure was.
What...?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The overall tone of the film wasn't edgy but its treatment of Godzilla sure was.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

I don't get it...
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"