What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

Post by GuardianGhido »

BioDestroyer wrote:I mean, Ghidorah's roar may be new but it's pretty similar to the spirit of the original Showa one. It's high pitched, shrill and almost a complete 180 from Godzilla's bellow. Though I can't remember many specific instances of him using it in memorable ways the one where he does his alpha roar is certainly the most stand out moment for his call. I had no issue with it. Rodan's roar, however, is indeed pretty forgettable and more to the generic side of things.
Yeah I pretty much agree with this. Ghidorah's new roar is perfectly fine (even better that it sounds more guttural and less...puny?) but Rodan's roar is just poop. Why couldn't they have mixed it with his classic screech?
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

The only time you can kinda hear Rodan's classic roar is when he flies down and challenges Godzilla at the very end right before the bowing begins.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

not even trying to be an ass but I can barely recollect any sound effect Rodan made besides the Female MUTO grunts he made after Mothra stung him
Last edited by Stump Feet on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I don’t recall Rodan EVER having even a version of his original roar

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Yeah, Rodan's roars are pretty weak because they neither accurately recreate the originals or stand on their own. A few months ago you'd hear people going "No dude it definitely happens at this point" or "Well I can hear it" but the consensus now seems to be that he never makes anything resembling his original roar, just high pitched screeching.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

And that’s one of my biggest complaints. That roar is iconic.

Feels like Toto not having Gamera’s roar in The Brave. But even then, it’s Gamera in training so you can kind of rationalize that he would have grown into it an eventual sequel.

KG’s new roar “fit” and we do get one second of his classic biddi biddi. So I’m not really upset there

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

king_ghidorah wrote:And that’s one of my biggest complaints. That roar is iconic.

Feels like Toto not having Gamera’s roar in The Brave. But even then, it’s Gamera in training so you can kind of rationalize that he would have grown into it an eventual sequel.

KG’s new roar “fit” and we do get one second of his classic biddi biddi. So I’m not really upset there
Indeed. As one of the Big Four, Rodan's SCRAAAWWWK is just as iconic as Godzilla's SKREEONK, Mothra's CHREEE and King Ghidorah's BIDIBIDIBIDI. We got the other 3, but didn't get the SCRAAAWWWK.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

king_ghidorah wrote:KG’s new roar “fit” and we do get one second of his classic biddi biddi. So I’m not really upset there
It fits because we've gotten used to sounds other than the classic 1964 - 1973 cackling. 1991 and 1998 with the high pitched/distorted Rodan roars, and 2004 Keizer Ghidorah's weird high pitched shrieks and screams (which I think the 2019 Ghidorah sounds most like).
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Something that only stood out to me recently is Godzilla's roar after he blasts KG away from Madison when he arrives in Boston, the Showa portion is distractingly low quality. Like it sounds like the sort of thing you'd expect a fan to edit in and claim they "fixed" it.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Godzilla’s roars were all over the place in quality in this film.

The one I liked the most was actually his 54 roar in Antarctica. That gave me chills

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Glad i'm not the only one who though the Showa roars were distracting sometimes. Hope they at least make them fit better in GVK.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I’d like to see them bring in the 84-91 roars a bit.

And yeah. Showa was great in theory, occasionally good in execution, but the G 14 roar seems to fit this Godzilla better

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I really wasn't a huge fan of the Showa roars. I've already grown accustomed to 2014's roar so hearing them regardless of being my personal favorites sounded out of no where and cheap.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Yeah it sounded like Shin in the way they just looped the tracks from the films.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yeah those roars sound super cheap. Just bad fan service, it's not like Shin where from the very beginning you know it's gonna use old sound effects as a stylistic choice.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

The classic roars don't fit with the modern design of Godzilla. Any novice could've edited them into the film like that as well, and it comes off as very low-grade sound effects work. I mentioned this when the film first came out, and not many people agreed.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Well huuzah. Something we all seem to finally agree about!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Hmmm, I don't completely agree though. Some instances, like when he got knocked down in Antarctica and was climbing back up (it had the 2014 SKREE and the Showa/1954 OONK, the best way to do it IMO), and a few more throughout the movie blended in pretty well. On the other hand a couple of them, such as the intro roar (bone chillingly awesome with the stomps and music and all, but the Legendary roar would have been way better) and especially the first Boston roar were just jarring. It's good when it's done good and bad when it's done bad. I'm fine with the choice but iffy on a few particular executions.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Shin's roar did not match up to his design at all lmao, it didn't feel like a "stylistic" choice, it felt like a fan edit.

But i agree with everyone else that the KOTM Godzilla's Showa roars were a bit copy and pasted towards the 3rd act.

I will say that Rodan's roar was certainly there in spirit and tone, just not the classic 2 part roar he's known for. Same with his epic KOTM MoS style theme, it's not the original, but there's certainly some classic cues and spirit in there.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

_JNavs_ wrote: I will say that Rodan's roar was certainly there in spirit and tone, just not the classic 2 part roar he's known for. Same with his epic KOTM MoS style theme, it's not the original, but there's certainly some classic cues and spirit in there.
Gonna have to disagree here. The theme had the fiery spirit of Rodan in it and really filled the shoes of the original theme, but his "new roars" were just generic squawking noises that in no way carried the spirit of Rodan's trademark SCRAAAWWK that Ghidorah's new bidibidibidi did for him or how Mothra's chittering did for her.

Also semi off topic but I do agree about Shin's Showa roars. The 1954 roar fit PERFECTLY but the Showa roars were just incredibly out of place. I would have much preferred more 54 roars instead, the tortured sounding wails really fit this Godzilla because much like the original, he's a victim and he sounds like one....at least in his 2nd form. Then they just gave him his Showa roar for the heck of it and it just sounded stupid.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.