What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Re: What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

Post by Hokmuto »

I have seen the movie 5 times in theatres, so I haven't seen it in a while, but it's kinda forgettable to be honest. Like I distinctly remember the Rodan entrance, Fire Godzilla and the bowing scene, but that's about all. I barely even recall that the Oxygen Destroyer was in it.

KOTM can be summed up like this: It's a dumb, sometimes cringey, B-movie, easter egg infested, yet fun movie.
Long Live The King

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

It could have and should have been so much better.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Orichalcum wrote:So I rewatched the movie last night to reassess everything-

The Godzilla/San Francisco flashback still stands strong as the worst special effects scene in the movie. Where everything is greenscreen except the actors, the whole thing just looks “off”.
Finally someone else has said this. I've been thinking to myself it just looks real bad, but saw no one else talk about it whatsoever, which I found real odd (although to be fair I've only looked through IG and YT). Probably is blind-praise from the fandom.
Long Live The King

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

^ I brought it up a while back and so did one other member but yeah, other than that, no ones made mention of it because it physically hurts some here to criticize the film for some reason.

Added in 15 minutes 31 seconds:
Another thing I forgot to mention earlier because I was solely detailing specific scenes- I hate all the exposition dumps this film does, it’s supposed to be this grand scale Godzilla movie and a majority of its dialogue is just characters telling instead of showing.
The “Ghidorah is shaping the planet to his liking” bit is a huge offender of this, like how on Earth could anyone decipher that out of Ghidorah’s actions when he’s just doing what Ghidorah always does: rampaging. It’s lazy.

I also hate how sassy Dr. Chen comes off to Admiral Stenz when they’re discussing the Titan’s sporadic behavior, like was that really necessary?
Last edited by Orichalcum on Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Orichalcum wrote:I also hate how sassy Dr. Chen comes off to Admiral Stenz when they’re discussing the Titan’s sporadic behavior, like was that really necessary?
She was probably sassing him thanks to his genius plan to use the OD on earth's protector
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:I also hate how sassy Dr. Chen comes off to Admiral Stenz when they’re discussing the Titan’s sporadic behavior, like was that really necessary?
She was probably sassing him thanks to his genius plan to use the OD on earth's protector
But it wasn’t the subject at hand so it comes off unnecessary
Last edited by Orichalcum on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

they should've just kept the 2014 roar with slight alterations here and there instead of that random Showa roar thrown about periodically in the film. it just doesn't fit the design
your source of self destruction

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

master_of_monsters wrote:they should've just kept the 2014 roar with slight alterations here and there instead of that random Showa roar thrown about periodically in the film. it just doesn't fit the design
Man, for a second there I thought you were talking about Shin.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

master_of_monsters wrote:they should've just kept the 2014 roar with slight alterations here and there instead of that random Showa roar thrown about periodically in the film. it just doesn't fit the design
Agreed, I love the classic roar but the one Gareth came up with fits the MV character perfectly.

The Showa roars come off as lazy fan service

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote:
Man, for a second there I thought you were talking about Shin.
no but I have the same issue with that one too

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

The showa roar was actually one of my few best parts of the film. I think it fit really well, especially when it was mixed with the original.
GO GO GOJI KUN

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

GoWhaleTours wrote:The showa roar was actually one of my few best parts of the film. I think it fit really well, especially when it was mixed with the original.
Yeah mixing the two with the 2014 SKREE and Showa ONK seems to create the best roar IMO. 2014 by itself is also great though, and a few Showa roars sound fine to me such as when he falls into Ghidorah's pit (though some like the Boston roar are a bit unfitting)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GoWhaleTours wrote:The showa roar was actually one of my few best parts of the film. I think it fit really well, especially when it was mixed with the original.
It's very situational, some spots it worked, some it didn't.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

GuardianGhido wrote:
Yeah mixing the two with the 2014 SKREE and Showa ONK seems to create the best roar IMO. 2014 by itself is also great though, and a few Showa roars sound fine to me such as when he falls into Ghidorah's pit (though some like the Boston roar are a bit unfitting)
funny enough the pitfall roar is the one I don't like the most. The full moon roar (2014+54) is probably one of my favorites, also when he's running and ghids

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

So I watched final wars fir the first time in ages, and while it is bad, I can atleast say one thing, when Godzilla appeared we did get a lot of Godzilla and a lot of camera focusing on just the monsters, even the finale seemed to be 50/50 monster human action that's more than what I can say for KOTM
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

attilagodzilla wrote:So I watched final wars fir the first time in ages, and while it is bad, I can atleast say one thing, when Godzilla appeared we did get a lot of Godzilla and a lot of camera focusing on just the monsters, even the finale seemed to be 50/50 monster human action that's more than what I can say for KOTM
Sure if you don't mind Godzilla feeling like Ryu in Street Fighter and the other monsters being poor -------- CPUs being one shot.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

attilagodzilla wrote:So I watched final wars fir the first time in ages, and while it is bad, I can atleast say one thing, when Godzilla appeared we did get a lot of Godzilla and a lot of camera focusing on just the monsters, even the finale seemed to be 50/50 monster human action that's more than what I can say for KOTM
Did we watch the same pair of movies? Because I distinctly remember the finale of FW being more...90 percent human-aliens-mutants and 10 percent Godzilla vs. Monster X. Like seriously I think we barely got a minute of Godzilla, Mothra, Monster X and Gigan fighting. Then once the Mutant leader was taken care of the director decided to speed through Godzilla vs. Keizer Ghidorah with it being a 'first one whups the other and then it is reversed.' KOTMs did a four two on two battle MUCH better.

Addition: Ryu in Street Fighter? I actually heard they made that suit the lightest in FW to allow more melee with is great! Seems like they went with the same thing for Monster X. Awesome!..Except they barely fight so what a waste!

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Living Corpse wrote:
the other monsters being poor -------- CPUs being one shot.
Just like Rodan and Mothra?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Orichalcum wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
the other monsters being poor -------- CPUs being one shot.
Just like Rodan and Mothra?
Rodan sauced Mothra and Mexico, temporarily put the work on Ghidorah, and survived.

Mothra saved Godzilla, outmaneuvered Rodan, and managed to get a shot off on Ghidorah.

Yeah MV Mothra's a one shot, but most of the Kaiju in FW are straight up special ed.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Atleast we got more than one minute of the camera focusing just on the Kaiju. KOTM felt the need to cut every few seconds
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster