What hurt KOTM worse: Critic reviews or the 5 year time gap between it and G2014?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What did more damage critic reviews or the 5 year time gap?

The critic reviews.
42%
The 5 year gap between it and Godzilla 2014.
58%

Total votes: 64

bbb636
Ronin

Re: What hurt KOTM worse: Critic reviews or the 5 year time gap between it and G2014?

Post by bbb636 »

The review not so much , if people liked it, the word of mouth would have done its job.

I remember even with it flaws,i enjoy gareth edwards Big G.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Re: What hurt KOTM worse: Critic reviews or the 5 year time gap between it and G2014?

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I imagine it is a mix of both... but I will throw in a third factor: Godzilla 2014's reception. Regardless of how you feel about the 2014 film, it was ultimately very divisive, with many people disliking it for their own respective reasons. Poor critical reception and a long waiting period between films already hurt this film, I imagine, but it's worth considering that many people who watched the 2014 film simply weren't interested in any further installments in this franchise. For many people, they only give franchises one chance to impress them... and I ultimately understand that.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

What's really sad is that the majority of the people who have seen it like it. Both audience review scores and anecdotal evidence from many of us support it. Even the people over on r/movies gave it a 7.3 on their poll.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Aladdin took a bigger than expected bite too, as well as Rocketman and Ma both over-performing...

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

ApexOversteer wrote:Aladdin took a bigger than expected bite too, as well as Rocketman and Ma both over-performing...
??? at the bolded.

Rocketman and Ma UNDERPERFORMED. Remember how Rocketman was supposed to make $35M to $45M (last Thursday Box Office Mojo was predicting "no less than $30M to $35M") while Ma was supposed to make $25M to $30M (though to be fairer to it, Box Office Mojo had downgraded that to $15M to 17M by last week)? Rocketman ended up at $25M and Ma at only $18M.

Aladdin DID take a very big bite, though, and is where I place most of the blame as the movie proved much stronger than many of us thought it would be.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Shin Gabara wrote:Fewer folks can afford to see multiple films over a summer. A:EG took a lot of oxygen from the room.
This. I wanted to see Detective Pikachu, I wanted to see John Wick 3, I wanted to see Endgame. I wanted to see KOTM. Normally this isn't a problem, but I'm trying to save up money for a convention, so it boiled down to I can only see one movie. I even only saw KOTM once.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Do you guys also think Endgame was the reason other films like Missing Link, Lego Movie 2, Detective Pikachu and Shazam! didn't do that well either because as I said. Strangely few movies this year hasn't done pretty well with unfortunately Godzilla 2 being among them... :?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

The general audience might have forgotten about the first film by now, despite the multiple times the Godzilla trailers were in the top 10 trending on YouTube. The marketing wasn't too bad at letting you know that this film existed either, but they showed too much.

Personal gripe. I hate that today's trailers present films completely differently from how they actually are. The first and second trailers sold this film to me the best, with the second one getting me the most excited. The tone of the second trailer is quite different from the film itself.

Another thing that I find peculiar is how the ratings are so mixed. Critics scored this movie low, even among some of those who are fans of the series. The audience enjoyed it more, and yet that audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is lowering slowly by the day. Starting strong with 90%, now at 85% and falling. It's another divisive film. At least critic and audience scores were closer with the two predecessors.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:The general audience might have forgotten about the first film by now, despite the multiple times the Godzilla trailers were in the top 10 trending on YouTube. The marketing wasn't too bad at letting you know that this film existed either, but they showed too much.

Personal gripe. I hate that today's trailers present films completely differently from how they actually are. The first and second trailers sold this film to me the best, with the second one getting me the most excited. The tone of the second trailer is quite different from the film itself.

Another thing that I find peculiar is how the ratings are so mixed. Critics scored this movie low, even among some of those who are fans of the series. The audience enjoyed it more, and yet that audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is lowering slowly by the day. Starting strong with 90%, now at 85% and falling. It's another divisive film. At least critic and audience scores were closer with the two predecessors.
The first trailer was kino but man it does not reflect the final product at all lol
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Audiences won't mind the wait for a sequel to a fairly well received movie if it's good.
Tell that to Gremlins 2 you fucking liar.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Smuggers wrote: Tell that to Gremlins 2 you fucking liar.
But it wasn't good
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Smuggers wrote: Tell that to Gremlins 2 you fucking liar.
But it wasn't good
You're just proving yourself to be more of a liar. Not a single word of truth has yet to escape your dishonest maw.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Smuggers wrote:You're just proving yourself to be more of a liar. Not a single word of truth has yet to escape your dishonest maw.
have taste filmcel

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:have taste filmcel
Sorry it looks like you accidentally posted that on the forum instead of adding it to your to do list. Maybe you should pull a Godzilla and disappear for five years.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Smuggers wrote:Sorry it looks like you accidentally posted that on the forum instead of adding it to your to do list. Maybe you should pull a Godzilla and disappear for five years.
I'm good, don't wanna take any cues from your career
Spoiler:
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE POKING FUN AT SMUGGERS IS IN JEST I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY HATRED OR MOCKERY AIMED AT THIS USER OR ANYBODY ELSE
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: I'm good, don't wanna take any cues from your career
Just as well, I'd rather not have a little remora hitching along for the ride and trying to subside off of my own success. Go watch your Shin Gremlins, "kinosseur".

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

The 5 year gap thing is a bit overblown, we had Skull Island in between to keep the Monsterverse fresh in peoples minds, and, theoretically, ratchet up the hype for a sequel even *more*. The critic reviews hurt to be sure, so many people now are just mindless sheep that do whatever Rotten Tomatoes says. But the main thing was just it's release window, way too much competition. Aladdin was hot garbage but people are lapping it up anyway, it's already overtaken KOTM in dailies. Rocketman overperformed, Endgame and Pikachu are still chugging along, with Secret Life of Pets and Dark Phoenix around the corner. It was just a really awful spot to try to cram another tentpole film into.
Last edited by Relair on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Relair wrote:The 5 year gap thing is a bit overblown, we had Skull Island in between to keep the Monsterverse fresh in peoples minds, and, theoretically, ratchet up the hype for a sequel even *more*. The critic reviews hurt to be sure, so many people now are just mindless sheep that do whatever Rotten Tomatoes says. But the main thing was just it's release window, way too much competition. Aladdin was hot garbage but people are lapping it up anyway, it's already overtaken KOTM in dailies. Rocketman overperformed, Endgame and Pikachu are still chugging along, with Secret Life of Pets and Dark Phoenix around the corner. It was just a really awful spot to try to cram another tentpole film into.
5 years is a gigantic gap. Consider I wasn`t even in college yet when G14 was out, and now I graduated and I`m in a completely different situation in my life. I can`t recall a direct sequel to anything that does well after a gigantic amount of time passes. Sure Kong came out, but Kong isn`t in the title.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Relair wrote:The 5 year gap thing is a bit overblown, we had Skull Island in between to keep the Monsterverse fresh in peoples minds, and, theoretically, ratchet up the hype for a sequel even *more*. The critic reviews hurt to be sure, so many people now are just mindless sheep that do whatever Rotten Tomatoes says. But the main thing was just it's release window, way too much competition. Aladdin was hot garbage but people are lapping it up anyway, it's already overtaken KOTM in dailies. Rocketman overperformed, Endgame and Pikachu are still chugging along, with Secret Life of Pets and Dark Phoenix around the corner. It was just a really awful spot to try to cram another tentpole film into.
Not everyone stays for the end credits stinger, a lot of people don't know KSI is the same universe as G2014. References to Monarch and Muto, some people didn't make the connection cause they saw G2014 once and only remember Godzilla fought two weird monsters.

I'm willing to beat that's partly why KOTM's references to King Kong and Skull Island were not subtle.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
5 years is a gigantic gap. Consider I wasn`t even in college yet when G14 was out, and now I graduated and I`m in a completely different situation in my life. I can`t recall a direct sequel to anything that does well after a gigantic amount of time passes. Sure Kong came out, but Kong isn`t in the title.
I had just gotten through 8th grade when the 2014 movie came out. I've been out of high school for a year now. That is a considerable amount of time. Kong: Skull Island came nearly a full three years after Godzilla, so unless you're actively following this film series, there's enough time to forget that anything is going on with them. So, there's something to that idea that five years is too long.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol: