What hurt KOTM worse: Critic reviews or the 5 year time gap between it and G2014?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505

What did more damage critic reviews or the 5 year time gap?

The critic reviews.
43%
The 5 year gap between it and Godzilla 2014.
57%

Total votes: 61

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

What hurt KOTM worse: Critic reviews or the 5 year time gap between it and G2014?

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:44 am

The name says it all.

Vote.

GodzillaRangerPrime
G-Grasper

Re: What hurt KOTM worse: Critic reviews or the 5 year time gap between it and G2014?

Postby GodzillaRangerPrime » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:09 am

Probably both

There’s also the fact that a lot of the audience who watched Godzilla (2014) didn’t want to possibly pay for the slowburn/ cutaways again
and a lot of the giant monster movies the past few years are garbage, like Pacific Rim: Uprising, Rampage, and the Meg.

The RT score and the 5 year time gap killing the momentum definitely didn’t help.
A lot of these wouldn’t effect other franchises, but Godzilla really isn’t in the same position.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.

I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.

That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

DougieJP
Young Farmer

Re: What hurt KOTM worse: Critic reviews or the 5 year time gap between it and G2014?

Postby DougieJP » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:28 am

I would say the reviews. Longer gaps between sequels seems to be more and more common these days. Unfortunately the general audience still seems to pay attention to critical opinion, despite the growing gap between that and audience reaction.

jayson
Yojimbo

Postby jayson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:29 am

I'd say critic reviews are the foremost issue but I always imagine word of mouth is what starts either good or bad press and after seeing the movie, I honestly didn't have any issue with it. Sure I could be nitpicky but the movie was easy to follow and the monsters looked great.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:57 am

I say it was the time gap. With the MCU being such a juggernaut that it is and how ADD our society has become recently, you can't expect people to come to a sequel 5 years after the first one came out. Not with the MCU carpet bombing the GA with 3 movies per year.

This isn't the 80's, 90's, or the 2000's anymore.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:22 am

Both had their effects but Critic reviews aren't always the end all be all in situations like Venom so it was the lesser of the two evils. The five year time gap on the other hand gave people time to forget about Godzilla, especially with Marvel progressing throughout phases and culminating in Endgame which people basically dedicated their entire existance to watching, so obviously Godzilla wasn't on everyone's mind when the movie released.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:25 am

Definitely going with the 5 year gap and the overabundance of other big movies this summer being the main reason.

JesstrK
Interpol Agent

Postby JesstrK » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:33 am

The five year time gap for sure. The Transformers movies are mostly bad, but time between releases was never one of their problems. Critics hated them and I've hardly talked to anyone in the GA who really liked them, but somehow they brought in the numbers.

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:42 am

Box Office Cannibalism for me the patterncI notice is that since Endgame turned on to be a kaiju at the box office none of these other movies have managed to reach $500 million yet especially surprising considering how popular the Pokemon and Aladdin franchises are worldwide. Critic score didn't help either but to me it's not as big as an issue.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:52 am

Neither helped, that's for sure.

I can't tell you which one had more of a negative impact on the BO, but you take both of those factors into account and then consider how crowded the theater is right now (Pikachu, John Wick 3, Aladdin, and X-Men coming out this week) and Godzilla was doomed to get swallowed up it seems.

And then consider how much of an impact Endgame had. I know some people that went to go see it about 10 times. Imagine going to see one movie that many times and then being up for seeing any other movies over the next few weeks. I mean I saw Godzilla 4 times and right now, I'm kind of done with seeing movies at the theater for at least a month, lol.

JesstrK
Interpol Agent

Postby JesstrK » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 am

Box office cannibalism is an issue. I can think of three things that could have been done to avoid this:

Option 1: Release it November or December 2018. Post production was done by then. Holiday releases tend to do well, and there was no major competition that I can think of except for Aquaman, as long as it was at least two weeks removed from that it would probably have been fine. This would also have lessened the time gap (which was definitely a problem) by 6 months or so, it might have helped.

Option 2: Probably the best option, leave it in March like originally planned. Delaying an already delayed movie with a longer than normal wait was NEVER a good idea, especially since the delay landed it right in the middle of Endgame, Aladdin, and Pikachu, all strong contenders. Leaving it at March 25 would probably have been fine, since Captain Marvel was released March 8, pretty far removed and there was no other real competition (the only reason Shazam was there was because they switched its release date with Godzilla).

Option 3: Move it to August. Although it would have avoided most competition, this is probably the least desirable option as it would have made the time gap even longer, which we know was a problem. By that point, due both to the long gap and summer box office fatigue, the general audience probably just wouldn't care enough to go.
Last edited by JesstrK on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:21 am

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:Probably both

There’s also the fact that a lot of the audience who watched Godzilla (2014) didn’t want to possibly pay for the slowburn/ cutaways again
and a lot of the giant monster movies the past few years are garbage, like Pacific Rim: Uprising, Rampage, and the Meg.

The RT score and the 5 year time gap killing the momentum definitely didn’t help.
A lot of these wouldn’t effect other franchises, but Godzilla really isn’t in the same position.

At least Rampage and The Meg were fun garbage. As much as it pains me to say this as a Pacific Rim fan, but PR:U was....the hell went wrong there?

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Postby Troyal1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:25 am

The 5 year gap is a bigger reason imo

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 am

Specifically out of these two, the critic reviews. Definitely spooked loads of people. The 5 year gap is partially to blame too, but I think the critic reviews affected more.

Now in general, I think the biggest culprit is competition
Last edited by Hokmuto on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 am

We basically got another repeat of vs Biollante. Now just concerning the American audience, it was a five year gap with monsters not too many would know about. The sequel even included classic themes. Now the next film in each series is featuring a "vs" title with a monster the public knows better, in this case it'll be Kong.

Now, hopefully history repeats itself and it makes bank. On the other hand, hopefully history doesn't repeat itself and we don't get a film with crappy writing......

Critics and other flicks are a problem too.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Postby vibramrunner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:03 am

I think Edwards' Godzilla was viewed, at the time, as a "must see" event in the eyes of movies go-ers -- a movie that, unlike '98, could actually get Godzilla right. Skull Island, being the first Kong movie in 12 years, similarly a "must see" because it was fresh (and offered a fresh take). KOTM was viewed possible as either 1.) an unnecessary re-boot or 2.) "just another" sequel. Most sequels don't perform as well as their predecessors; there are tons of examples of this. Moreover, KOTM leaned in heavily on fan service -- "hey, look, oxygen destroyer!" -- over nuance and thoughtful writing, and to a degree it worked: The audience who actually saw the movie generally came away satisfied, but unfortunately that demographic was 76% male, and 59% over the age of 25, per Variety. KOTM did enough to excite fans of the genre, and probably lots of sci-fi/fantasy fans in general, but the movie was too uneven to expand beyond its core demographic. Putting Millie in front of a camera and window-dressing the plot as environmental/feminism (Emma and her motivations) wasn't convincing any else they were missing anything. KOTM is a big movie with big ambitions, but perhaps it leaned in too hard on the demographic that was already going to see it anyway. I will always enjoy what the movie did well, but I question its approach both from a practical and personal movie-going perspective.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:25 am

People keeps saying the five year gap yet How to Train Your Dragon went through the same thing with 2 and The Hidden World and that didn't hurt it... :?

I'm affirmed to think it was the critics.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:26 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:People keeps saying the five year gap yet How to Train Your Dragon went through the same thing with 2 and The Hidden World and that didn't hurt it... :?

I'm affirmed to think it was the critics.

That is a children's movie. Children's movies always sell.

I think it's a mix of the two, in addition to the GA (in the states, at least) not really caring much about giant monster movies as a general rule. There also weren't any *huge* names in this; sure, there were familiar faces, but Bryan Cranston was HUGE when '14 came out. They didn't really have anyone like that for this.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:28 am

Maritonic wrote:That is a children's movie. Children's movies always sell.

Fair enough though that doesn't also explain why Detective Pikachu didn't perform as well as it should had given Pokemon's popularity. UglyDolls was also a children's movie and that apparently didn't sell well either.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:29 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Maritonic wrote:That is a children's movie. Children's movies always sell.

Fair enough though that doesn't also explain why Detective Pikachu didn't perform as well as it should had given Pokemon's popularity. UglyDolls was also a children's movie and that apparently didn't sell well either.

What the skreeonk is UglyDolls. You said How to Train Your Dragon which is a huge franchise.

I don't know why Pikachu didn't perform. But there are other factors at play with Godzilla that don't apply to Pikachu.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”