KOTM: What movie would you have done?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Re: KOTM: What movie would you have done?

Postby G2000 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:Replace the OD with a MOAB.

Left Vivienne alive.

An actual MOAB isn't really all that close to a nuke despite comparisons, with a yield of something like 11 tons of TNT (so like 0.011 kilotons; Hiroshima was somewhere around 20kt, most US strategic warheads are roughly between 300 and 500 kt, and Castle Bravo was 15,000kt). That being said I can definitely understand criticisms about the portrayal of the Oxygen Destroyer in the film and the desire to replace it with something else (perhaps a more "suitable" replacement would be some sort of bioweapon a la the ANEB or some sort of souped-up nerve agent).

Personally I would have kept the Oxygen Destroyer intact, but I probably would have done more with it. Adding a line during the initial Senate hearings alluding to it's existence ("Over the past five years the military has developed experimental anti-Titan weaponry; now it is up to MONARCH to do it's duty and disclose the location of these Titans so they may be dealt with before they can pose any further danger to public safety" or something like that) would have helped. You could then have Serizawa arguing against their usage not only because he believes the Titans are beneficial to the environment, but because he believes the fallout of such new weapons might poison environments for years to come and even potentially start a new arms race ("if they can kill a Titan, what's to stop them from being used to kill entire countries?").

As I've seen some people criticize MONARCH for not "simply" killing off the Titans in their sleep before the events of the film could happen (the argument goes something like even if they couldn't kill Ghidorah they could have at least destroyed the other Titans and mitigated the effects of his eventual rampage) I would have also added a line in which Serizawa argues against attempts to eliminate the Titans on the grounds that he's not sure if they can be killed by human means, and that trying to destroy them could very well simply wake them up and cause them to go on the very destructive rampages the military was trying to prevent. There was a line in the book to this effect, but it was in buried in a later scene.

Later, after the Oxygen Destroyer detonates in the Gulf of Mexico and seemingly kills Godzilla we get a scene between Serizawa and Stenz on Castle Bravo where it is revealed that (aside from failing to harm Ghidorah) the weapon has worked too well; instead of merely "killing everything in a two-mile radius" it has contaminated a large swath of the Gulf, effectively turning it into a dead sea. Serizawa is furious, telling Stenz that not only have his actions directly resulted in perhaps the largest man-made ecological disaster in history, but by killing Godzilla humanity and all other life on Earth now has no defense against the ravages of Ghidorah and his army of Titans. "Had you simply waited a while, Godzilla would have defeated Ghidorah and we would not be in this situation!" Stenz tries to defend his actions, saying that he was only following orders and claiming that "no one could have known what was going to happen" before Serizawa matter-of-factly reminds him that he had predicted this very outcome during the Senate hearing. Stenz quietly concedes this point to Serizawa, and both men return to their duties before Mothra arrives and everyone learns Godzilla is really alive.

Later during the end credits news montage it is revealed that despite the ability of the Titans to restore devastated ecosystems the Gulf of Mexico remains contaminated by the OD's fallout; as a result the economies of the region are in ruins, with the fishing and tourism industries all but wiped out. Conclude with something teasing an eventual appearance by Destoroyah.

And I also agree that I would have kept Graham alive, Sally Hawkins was definitely underutilized in this film. Graham having to tell her beloved sensei goodbye before his ultimate sacrifice could have been a really emotional moment, and she could succeed Serizawa as the effective "face" of Monarch in the Monsterverse.

Also, I would have fleshed out Jonah a bit more. Go into how his experiences in Bosnia colored his view of humanity; given the time frame in which he served and where he served he was almost certainly a witness to Srebrencia and the numerous other ethnic cleansings and massacres that occured in the Yugoslav Wars. It would definitely be understandable for a man who had witnessed some of the worst warfare and genocides Europe had seen since the end of World War II to develop misanthropic viewpoints.

I'd also retain the murder of Jonah's daughter, Lilly, from the novel as his final tipping point into insanity, but also tie it into his experiences in Bosnia as well. Like, say that one one of his deployments he found an orphaned teenage Bosniak girl and chose to adopt her and raise her as his own daughter. The two grew close, but soon Jonah is once again called away on deployment. While he is away, his adopted daughter is kidnapped and later found murdered. His anguish over his daughter's death and the police's apparent inability to find any answers soon turns to rage when he realizes that the investigation into her murder is intentionally being obstructed by local authorities as part of the Rotherham scandal. Already deeply misanthropic and disillusioned, this final betrayal by the country he had given so much for finally pushes him over the edge into outright terrorism. He now seeks to use the Titans to tear down the corrupt world order and wipe humanity off the face of the Earth so that he and his "chosen few" may form a society free from the problems that so plagued the old human race, "under the watchful eyes of the first gods." I'd also keep the scenes from the novel where he threatens Madison to keep Emma in line intact (at least one viewer I know somehow left feeling that "Madison was never in any real danger from the ecoterrorists").

And like others have suggested, I'd definitely modify some scenes to make Madison having been misled by her mother about the true cost of her plan more credible. Like someone suggested, having the scene where the terrorists seize the Mothra outpost be a more "quiet" takeover, or at least have Jonah wait until Madison is out of earshot to execute the captured MONARCH scientists. Little things like that, so it's more apparent that Emma misled Madison about the true cost of her plan to free the Titans, or that Madison was only ever reluctantly going along with her mother's plan and the realization that so many people are going to die turns her completely against it.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Would have rearranged different parts of the movie, Rodan should have been released before we saw anything regarding Mothra.
The Oxygen Destroyer should have been displayed during the Senate hearing or removed all together. Sure we know it's devastating effects from the 1954 film but General Audiences do not... Instead they just said they were working on this new weapon fired it and dead fish came up. Sure Godzilla ''died'' but that could have been a very tense moment and instead seemed like a throw-a-way moment. As was the entire Senate hearing itself.

Everything regarding Dr Serizawa sacrificing himself to Godzilla rising was brilliant and should have had more moments like that.
Ghidorah roaring on-top of the mountain should have been detailed longer with the other titans arising and even should have shown Skull-crawlers on Skull Island causing havoc.

The final battle was good but should have been the two parents arguing was annoying, then Ghidorah chasing her in car for a moment reminded me to much of G-1998 and that should have been removed. She should have just stayed with the orca as they flew off and as Ghidorah approached ''Long live the King'' and the Fire Godzilla sequence.

Gerdzerl

Postby Gerdzerl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Right off the bat, I'd make Rodan the same height as Godzilla, 393 feet (119.8764 meters) tall, and with a wingspan of 2,223 feet (677.5704 meters). His design would be mostly the same, except the chest/torso. I'd make that part more prominent and spikier, like the Toho designs. His roar would be revamped to sound more like the Toho Rodan's roar, the roar they went with doesn't sound much like his previous incarnations' roars.

King Ghidorah's design would also be mostly the same, although I'd make him a brighter and less dull shade of gold, add crescent shaped horns on his cranium as a nod to the Showa and Rebirth of Mothra III Ghidorahs, add a series of quill-like spines around his necks to emulate the Showa version's manes, and make his Gravity Beams sound more like the SFX for the Showa version's Gravity Beams.

Mothra would be made much, much bigger. If she's currently 52 feet (15.8496 meters) tall, I'd quadruple her size to be 208 feet (63.3984 meters) tall with a wingspan of 3,212 feet (979.016 meters). Her legs, while still the same length, would be a lot hairier, and her wings' color patterns would more closely resemble her Toho counterparts.

Rodan would have a fight scene with Godzilla, and he would later team up with Godzilla and Mothra to take down King Ghidorah in the final battle.

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Have the Oxygen Destroyer be mentioned beforehand and have it be told to us what the overall effect of it was (I hope they mention this in GvK).

Show in a better manner the worldwide reaction (public and from governments) of the San Francisco aftermath and discovery of these new Titans.

Show more of Washington D.C. Also show reactions of everyday people witnessing the attacks (like Rodan’s emergence).
Long Live The King

ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician

Postby ManuJM1997 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Ok, so, some notes on how I would handle the monsters, starting with:

King Ghidorah

- Able to both wingwalk and stay upright
- Height of 600 feet (182,88 meters) when wingwalking. 730 feet (222,504 meters) when fully upright. 960 feet (292,608 meters) in lenght when wingwalking. 2790 feet (850,392 m) from wingtip to wingtip
- His design would be a blend between the canon one, and some fanon ones like this
Or this
- He would have 6 eyes per head, three on each side, and each capable of independent movement. Certainly would add to his 'personality' while still giving the alien vibe
- Alan Jonah and such, instead of simply being eco terrorists that set him free, are a Lovecraftnian like cult that worship him as a deity, and indoctrinated Emma into their ways to set their lord free
- He would be resting on an artificial dome created by him, which, as a callback to ROM III, he would use to trap his prey in
- His goal would be to consume all the energy from the lifeforms of the planet. He would first start with Kaiju, and then move on to Humans and what not.
- Despite that, he would still be an evil bastard that enjoys the suffering he causes, hunting Madison all around the world in a Cat n' Mouse game
- His abilities would be extended to have some more stuff, like being able to electrically charge his physical attacks etc
- He would kill 5 of the Titans, Emma Rusell and Alan Jonah
- Maybe will add some more stuff later on
Last edited by ManuJM1997 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 pm

I would insinuate that the same tech that is being used to create Mecha King Ghidorah is also being used on Bryan Cranston to bring him back as Jet Jaguar.

Instead of the monsters bowing at him, I would have Godzilla do his victory dance from Invasion of The Astro-Monster.

I would also include a scene of rock throwing.

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:I would insinuate that the same tech that is being used to create Mecha King Ghidorah is also being used on Bryan Cranston to bring him back as Jet Jaguar.

Instead of the monsters bowing at him, I would have Godzilla do his victory dance from Invasion of The Astro-Monster.

I would also include a scene of rock throwing.

I concur.

They also should’ve had Godzilla flying during that scene where he is dropped from the atmosphere in order to create a character arch; a monster who’s only terrestrial now joining the others in the heavens. Quite poetic indeed.
Long Live The King

KaijuShill17
Samurai

Postby KaijuShill17 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:06 pm

I would keep it almost the same, but I wouldn't cut away from the final fight, I'd show more footage of the new Titans, I'd include a sequence showing Ghidorah and Rodan destroying Washington, and I'd dedicate more time to the Oxygen Destroyer.
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:45 am

Gerdzerl wrote:Right off the bat, I'd make Rodan the same height as Godzilla, 393 feet (119.8764 meters) tall, and with a wingspan of 2,223 feet (677.5704 meters). His design would be mostly the same, except the chest/torso. I'd make that part more prominent and spikier, like the Toho designs. His roar would be revamped to sound more like the Toho Rodan's roar, the roar they went with doesn't sound much like his previous incarnations' roars.

King Ghidorah's design would also be mostly the same, although I'd make him a brighter and less dull shade of gold, add crescent shaped horns on his cranium as a nod to the Showa and Rebirth of Mothra III Ghidorahs, add a series of quill-like spines around his necks to emulate the Showa version's manes, and make his Gravity Beams sound more like the SFX for the Showa version's Gravity Beams.

Mothra would be made much, much bigger. If she's currently 52 feet (15.8496 meters) tall, I'd quadruple her size to be 208 feet (63.3984 meters) tall with a wingspan of 3,212 feet (979.016 meters). Her legs, while still the same length, would be a lot hairier, and her wings' color patterns would more closely resemble her Toho counterparts.

Now that I think about it, I would probably make similar size changes too. Though I'd make Rodan a little smaller, 289 feet/88.0872 meters with a 1,752 feet/534 meter wingspan.

I'd also probably make KG bigger as well so that he'd really tower over Godzilla. Around 646 feet/197 meters standing upright with necks bent. His wingspan would be a colossal 4,378 feet/1334 meters.

The Mothra changes you gave would be perfect as she sounds wayyy too small in the official height, Though I do have a suspicion that the official height given is her standing on six legs as opposed to being upright or her actual body length. (She does NOT look 52 feet to me) I'd keep the hairy legs too. I would however, keep her wing patterns the same as now.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician

Postby ManuJM1997 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:56 am

Rodan

- Like Ghidorah, would both wingwalk (with his launching into the air method being the same as a pterosaur) and be able to stand upright
- Height of 307 feet (93,57 meters) and wingspan of 1742 feet (530, 96 meters)
- Basically the same design, but his wingwalking posture would be like Matt Frank's concept
- He would be an Alpha Titan just like the rest
- He would first fight Godzilla in the opening scene of the movie, being awakened by mining operations of sulfur in Isla de Mara, Mexico
- Just like Deathwing or Moltres, one of his abilites would include being able to set his wings on fire, which, combined with the hurricane like winds he produces just by flying, would allow him to create veritable fire storms that would calcinate everything on the adjoining areas
- He would be able to achieve hypersonic+ speeds, faster than any human aircraft ever constructed
- After Ghidorah is awakened, he goes to fight him, and while initially he briefly holds his own, he's quickly overwhelmed and steamrolled, only surviving because just as Ghidorah was about to finish him, Godzilla arrives.
- He was worshipped by the ancient inhabitants of the island as "The One Born in Fire",with the fertile volcanic soil for agriculture being considered his blessing
- After his defeat against Ghidorah, Rodan flees and enters a coma like state inside another volcano in South America, absorbing and feeding on the geothermal radiation of the volcano until he remerges later on
- In the end, he would fight against Ghidorah alongside Godzilla and Mothra
JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

Cryptid_Liker
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 am

Part 1: Kaiju
GODZILLA

Godzilla looks basically the same, except for the fact that his spines have white tips.
    He is slimmer and faster. Not that much faster or slimmer than 2014, obviously.
    His roar starts with the Showa shriek and ends with the guttural end of the 2014 roar.
    When he is in Fire form, his spines start spewing out smoke.

RODAN

Rodan's torso spikes are more prominent and there are two spikes at the base of his beak like in the showa era.
    He can push air through his mouth, creating what could be called a sort of wind breath weapon. After Ghidorah becomes the new alpha, this attack is replaced by the uranium heat beam.
    Instead of being in Isla de Mara, Rodan resides in the Mauna Loa volcano.

GHIDORAH

Ghidorah looks more like modernized Showa than Modernized Heisei, with manes, two side horns, and a crescent horn.
    He can use his tails as maces in combat.

Part 2: Plot

In the opening scene, there will be more fire and smoke around to portray Godzilla as evil in Mark's eyes.
The Mothra scene goes the same.
During the senate hearing, the Oxygen Destroyer is hinted at by Stenz.
In Castle Bravo, we can see Margygr.
There is another Argo called the Odyssey.
The Antarctica scene goes mostly the same as canon, but Godzilla doesn't climb back out of the ice, but rather blows up the ground below Monster Zero with his atomic breath and causes him to fly off.
Dr. Graham survives.
In Mexico, Rodan uses his wind breath to destroy jets.
The flaming giant attacks relentlessly against Ghidorah, almost beating him until he gets hit with gravity beams.
When Godzilla ambushes Ghidorah, he is able to blow off Ghidorah's middle head. The remaining two bite down on Godzilla's gills and shocked them.
When the Oxygen Destroyer hits, we see Godzilla start to "die". As Ghidorah regenerates his head while flying out of the water, Godzilla watches before passing out.
We get to see more of the titans, while still through the news. Highlights include Methuselah stomping through Berlin, Rodan destroying the Odyssey in Honolulu, and Mokele-Mbembe destroying Khartoum.
When Serizawa goes into the hollow earth, he gives his notes to Graham instead of Mark.
Mothra spits silk at Rodan's mouth, tying it shut, before blinding him with her god rays.
After Mothra gets obliterated, Ghidorah attempts to absorb some of her energy by eating it.
Emma gets vaporized with the ORCA before the first nuclear pulse goes off.
Godzilla's finishing nuclear pulse is replaced by his spiral ray.
Ghidorah's eyes are melted by Godzilla's atomic breath when the latter does the reverse Kiss of Death, making energy come out of his eye sockets.
Instead of dropping down in front of Godzilla, Rodan ambushes the new alpha, slashing his gills with his talons from behind.
Rodan is the last to bow instead of the first.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”